Mutants & Masterminds:[M&M3e] Dark Fantasy

Aphrodite Pandemos

Greetings. I am a Mutants and Masterminds player, though I see no open games. I was suggested to make a game of my own. So I will. Here's my pitch.

You all meet at a mercenary inn. Why you're looking for coin is your own business. No one asks questions, they just want results. The more you do the more your name will travel around to bigger and better people.

The setting will be a bit more mature. Death is a real problem and the jobs you take won't be pretty. I do like flavorful characters with complications and story to work with. Give me at least a page to work with.

Here's some crunchy bits for you to chew on.

PL 10, 150 points.

No Immortality or Resurrection Healing.

No Regeneration past 10 ranks.

Sound good? Have any questions?

Some more info about game setting would be useful. Dark fantasy covers a lot of ground. :)

Are we talking medieval sword-n-sorcery fantasy? What do you have in mind for races, nations, organizations...or is it sort of 'make it up as you go?'

Yes, I am making this up as I go. Swords and sorcery style, yes. Nations are a thing, but you'll be travelling regional. Organizations,

Races:

Human: They're the new guys around here. Explorers and settlers. You can't spit and not find a human settlement or camp at least. Highly curious. Don't trust them around your valuables or women/men.

• Tiefling: Humans, in their infinite wisdom decided to screw around with demon magic. Babies born on the human side of this equation are tieflings. They look like humans except for one telling feature. Nothing drastic like horns or cloven hooves, more like red eyes, always smelling of something unnaturally sweet or anything that might give them away. They act like humans too, except they're a bit more proactive in their carnage. While humans are searching for answers, tieflings are also looking to fuck with people.
  • Dragonborn: Ditto, except for with dragons. Though their attitude is less "i'm gonna fuck with you" and more protective. They're very VERY loyal. Also naive and stupid.

Elf: The oldest known race. Their society is split between high and low. The high elves do the magic, the low elves do the hunting. High elves are pretentious and snooty. Low elves are a bit feral.

Dwarf: Xenophobic. Live in mountains. Build weapons and armor second to none. Begrudgingly sell to the outside races. May travel with other races, but only because it's going to get them materials. Southern accents only please ;)

Halfling/Gnome: These races do not exist. Halfling is the elven slang term for child prodigy. Gnome, the dwarven equivalent.

Goblin/Hobgoblin/Orc: Same thing. Goblin is the child stage (sickeningly enough, as soon as they walk they can breed). Hobgoblin is the teen stage. Orc is the adult stage. Those who reach their 20th birthday are celebrated as War Elders. These creatures are war-obsessed and will bring it to ANYWHERE. You see one of these things, you head the fuck out of Dodge. If you wish to play one, you'll most likely be banished from their society.

Any other race, just ask.

Known creatures

Demons (there are seven kinds. Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Pride, Greed, Wrath, Envy. they all live to feed off souls in their own way. They CAN be bargained with.)

• Angels (same thing as a demon, but they drain the soul because of good deeds. Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness, Humility.)
    • Dragons (no different colors to differentiate them. They're greenish brown. They fly. They breath fire. They can emulate any race)

Fae (Creatures from another realm. Exiled here. Are feeding off of the nature around them to stay alive. Stock nymphs, satyrs, dryads and pixies. Are outwardly nice, but totally hate this place. Elves, high and low, remind them of home and will not mess with them as much.)

Giants (magical failures. they were supposed to be spies for a greater faction that tried to invade the world before, but what they came up with was not satisfactory)

Lycanthropes (Nature spirits protecting nature from the exiled fae and giants.)

Undead (though there is no plethora of undead things, if it's undead it's either mindless and going to kill you messily [zombies, ghouls and mummies are all the same thing] or very cunning and are going to kill you with some sick strategy [vampires, vampires with magic are called liches]. Ghosts don't exist.)

Again, any monster you think I missed, ask me!

Making up as one goes is fine...we have some very good games come from that sometimes. :)

Seems like a solid start.

How much creative input do players have? If I were to posit making, say, an assassin sort of character...could I 'design' the secret order of assassins to some extent? I mean, of course in collaboration with you. It all has to fit together in the end. :)

As for races/monsters, I have two questions there.

First, what about fey/faerie type critters? Second, what about lycanthropes?

The collaboration would be welcomed.

Fae: Creatures from another realm. Exiled here. Are feeding off of the nature around them to stay alive. Stock nymphs, satyrs, dryads and pixies. Are outwardly nice, but totally hate this place. Elves, high and low, remind them of home and will not mess with them as much.

Lycanthropes: Nature spirits protecting nature from the exiled fae.

Almost done. Still have a point to spend, it seems. Not sure what yet...we'll see. Maybe Mind reading or something.

Silhouette

Description:

The tiefling calling herself Silhouette has gone by other names in the past...Whisper, and Mask foremost among them. She is a comely young-looking woman, who has jet-black skin and no hair on her head, and frequently wears a featureless ivory mask to cover her features. She dresses in dark blue, indigo and deep violet, and of course dark greys and blacks, and even the most formal of her outfits is designed not to hamper her mobility.

Abilities 40

Strength 0

Stamina 2

Agility 4

Dexterity 2

Fighting 0

Intellect 4

Awareness 4

Presence 4

Defenses 18

Dodge 10 (4 base + 6)

Fortitude 5 (2 base + 3)

Parry 3 (0 base + 3)

Toughness 7 (2 base)

Will 10 (4 base + 6)

Initiative +4

Skills 16 (32)

-----------------

Expertise: Magic +10 (6 + 4 int)

Deception +10 (6 + 4 pre)

Persuasion +8 (4 + 4 pre)

Intimidation +7 (3 + 4 pre)

Perception +6 (2 + 4 awe)

Insight +6 (2 + 4 awe)

Stealth +9 (5 + 4 agi)

Ranged Combat (spell) +4

Powers

----------

Utility 33

Phantasm - Illusion (Visual/Auditory, Independent, Subtle 2) +7, 30pp

AP Mirage - Illusion (Visual/Auditory, Selective, Resistable (will), Area 3) +9

AP Nudge - Affliction (Perception, Concentration, Limited to 2nd degree, Subtle 2, Insidious) +9

AP Dream Warrior - All Sustained

- Enhanced Trait: Str +4, 8pp

- Enhanced Trait: Fgt +4, 8pp

- Enhanced Trait: Athletics +2, Acrobatics +4, 3pp

- Enhanced Trait: Close Combat (Dagger) +6, 3pp

- Enhanced Trait: Parry Defense +2, 2pp

- Leaping 2, 2pp

- Speed 2, 2pp

- Super Movement: Wall Climbing) 1, 2pp

Combat magic 23

Shadestrike - Damage (Ranged, versus Will, accurate 2) +6, 20pp

AP Shadowswarm - Concealment (Normal Sight, Burst Area, Attack, Concentration) +2 (4pp) linked to: Damage (Burst Area, Selective, Concentration) +4, 16pp

AP Spellbreak - Nullify (Magic, Perception) +10

AP Shadow Skip - Teleport (Shadow medium, Accurate, turnabout, change facing, change velocity, mass 1, subtle 2) +7

Mystic Barrier - Protection 5, 5pts

Shadow Walk - Invisibility (normal vision, passive), 2pp

Shade Sight - Super Sense (Vision counters Darkness Concealment) 2pp

Mystically Sensitive - Super Sense (Mental - Magic Awareness, Radius) 2pp

Blackfang (Dagger) (Str based Damage +4, Incurable, Increased Critical 1; Easily Removable), 4pp

Advantages 4

---------------

Attractive 1

Ritualist 1

Skill Mastery: Deception 1

Taunt 1

Totals:

Attributes: 40

Defenses:18

Skills: 16

Advantages: 4

Powers: 71

Background

Like many tieflings with obvious physical tells, Silhouette grew up under the care of an orphanage; and was lucky to do so. From this she surmises her mother is likely a woman of some means...someone who was able to convince the abbott to take in another infant of troubles, despite the difficulties and limited space. She has, on occasion, considered finding out who she is, but has always elected not to. It feels safer not to know.

Competition was fierce there, and while she was not big or strong enough to dominate, she was crafty, quick and smart. She learned early on that you didn't need to BE the strongest, as long as you controlled the strongest. She learned the building, its hiding places and secrets. She hid and overheard, she witnessed those things meant to be secret, and she used what she learned. All this caught the attention of one of the new abbotts, who was a practitioner of magic. He took her in as an apprentice.

Of course, in the end, he planned to use her as an offering for a demonic contract to gain power. She discovered his plans and turned them on him. The demon did not care who's soul it took, nor whom the contract benefitted. And Silhouette was left without a master, and with expanded magic abilities.

She took the knife her old master had tried to use in the ritual; a weapon charged with shadowy demonic magic which inhibited healing...and left.

Years later, an assassin with magical abilities surfaced in another nation, hiding her face behind a mask of bone. The money she earned went towards furthering her researches, and towards the establishment of a safe haven, as well as fuelling a not-inconsiderable love of comfort and ameneties in the short term.

From the Illusion Power Profile:

An alternate way of handling illusions, particularly hallucinations projected directly into a target’s mind, is as a type of Affliction rather than a sensory effect. In this approach, illusions have three degrees of effect, just like other Afflictions:

• First Degree – Figment: Minor changes in how the subject perceives things: making people look (but not sound) like someone else, altering or editing details like colors, the presence or absence of small objects, background sounds, and so forth.

• Second Degree – Phantasm: Fairly major changes to the subject’s perceptions, including: adding a large and/or complex element such as an explosion, a symphony, or fully interactive person, the presence or absence of large or significant objects, making one thing look, sound, and otherwise appear like something else.

• Third Degree – Immersion: Complete control over the subject’s senses, able to change anything and everything about the environment, from blank nothingness or total darkness to making the subject perceive and interact with a completely different setting that exists solely in the subject’s mind. The subject is Unaware of the real world.

As a general rule, an Affliction with illusory conditions is resisted by Will, although Fortitude may represent Afflictions involving hallucinatory drugs or similar things affecting the target’s biology.

Illusory Affliction conditions can be combined with other conditions (or even mixed-and-matched with the new Variable Conditions modifier—see Modifiers, following). Many have Limited Degree (needing only to impose the Phantasm condition). Also like other Afflictions, illusions can benefit from modifiers like Concentration, Cumulative, and Progressive.

Yes. In fact, it's the character I have already put together. And posted here in the thread. In fact, your proposal is directly adjacent to it. :)

I put it in spoilers just so as not to spam the page, but you're welcome to take a look if you like.

Also, that Affliction idea for mental illusions is actually pretty cool! I may yoink that for Sil's mental illusion power. :)

Barbarian_Warrior___8_by_mjranum_stock.jpg

Jysala, Low Elf Witch - PL 10

Height: 6'0" (1.83m)

Weight: 160 lbs (73kg)

Character Model (NWS)
Barbarian_Warrior___1_by_mjranum_stock.jpgBarbarian_Warrior___2_by_mjranum_stock.jpgBarbarian_Warrior___5_by_mjranum_stock.jpgBarbarian_Warrior___6_by_mjranum_stock.jpgBarbarian_Warrior___9_by_mjranum_stock.jpgBarbarian_Warrior___10_by_mjranum_stock.jpgBarbarian_Warrior___7_by_mjranum_stock.jpgBarbarian_Warrior___3_by_mjranum_stock.jpg

Of low elf birth, Jysala was taught from day one to survive in the harshest environment, her own tribe. As soon as she was able to walk she learned to hunt.and fight. She learned that only the strong survived. She learned that the Ka'shana (low elves) were the strongest.

Jysala excelled at battle, but her true calling was to be a witch. The witches themselves were on par warriors, but they had a different job, keeping the warriors alive in battle. Their use of magic was not fancy or elegant like the Ka'vala (high elves), but it got the job done.

Every morning, Jysala would wake up before the crack of dawn to witness their hunts. She would also listen in on their nightly rituals. When she came of age she petitioned the matron mother witch to join their ranks. The matron mother had saw her eagerness to learn through the years and took her under her wing. The witch training was was long. Years of excruciatingly painful work, but by the end of it she was hardened. There was one last thing she would do before becoming a witch. There were only three witches a tribe. She had to kill her mentor. No, she wouldn't become the matron mother witch, one of the others would step in her place, but Jysala would become a witch. After a long battle with the matron mother witch, Jysala struck the final blow. Her two new sisters would welcome her to the fold after that.

Jysala, over the years, saw many things happen in her tribe. Some things she did not like. The chieftain most of all. She saw him as a weak leader. Too passive. Not enough expansion of the tribe. The tribe elders sensed Jysala's mutinous ways. When mating season came, the three witches would present themselves to the chieftain first. Not wanting to take any chances with Jysala getting uppity, the tribe elders forbade that this year. After they told the chieftain of their worries, he wanted to see Jysala personally. Alone. Jysala would oblige this meeting, getting ready for a challenge. After a long heated argument, Jysala took the initiative to attack. Little did she know that the chieftain was able to sense her every move. The chieftain even showed magical prowess of his own. Ka'vala magic! He was going to dispatch her, but he had other plans. He spared her, put her into a deep sleep. When she awoke she was in the middle of nowhere. There was nothing but vengeance in her mind now. However, she knew she would have to get more powerful to defeat the chieftain and replace him. She set out into the world of man to find her way.

Strength 4, Stamina 12, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect -2, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages

Agile Feint, Assessment, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Precise Attack (Close, Cover), Skill Mastery: Treatment, Startle

Skills

Acrobatics 8 (+10), Athletics 6 (+10), Close Combat: Life Magic 2 (+10), Expertise: Magic 12 (+10), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 10 (+10), Perception 8 (+10), Treatment 12 (+10)

Powers

Bladed Staff (Easily Removable)

. . Strength-based Damage 6 (DC 25; Reach (melee): 5 ft., Variable Descriptor: bludgeoning, piercing)

Blessings: Immunity 7 (Disease, Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Poison, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation)

Elven: Immunity 2 (Aging, Sleep)

Life Magic

. . Affliction: Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cumulative)

. . Affliction: Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, 3rd degree: Asleep, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cumulative)

. . Affliction: Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cumulative)

. . Affliction: Cumulative Affliction 10 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cumulative)

. . Damage: Damage 10 (DC 25; Alternate Resistance: Fortitude, Incurable, Precise)

. . Healing: Healing 10 (Persistent, Stabilize)

. . Weaken: Broad Weaken 10 (Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Broad: Abilities, Incurable, Precise)

Offense

Initiative +6

Afflictions: Cumulative Affliction 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)

Bladed Staff: Strength-based Damage 6, +8 (DC 25)

Damage: Damage 10, +10 (DC Fort 25)

Grab, +8 (DC Spec 14)

Throw, +0 (DC 19)

Unarmed, +8 (DC 19)

Weaken: Broad Weaken 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)

Complications

Feral: Low elf society is different from normal society. It is a bloody brutal battle from birth. The civility of other races is sometimes lost on them.

Magical Traditions:

• Every morning, Jysala must paint herself with a small amount of blood from a fresh body. Most of the time, this is an animal, but some times those aren't around.
  • If Jysala kills something, her magic marks the body. If the marked body is not disposed of some way her magic may go wonky.
  • Jysala can only wear a leather apron for protection and nothing else. Any more protection and her blessings may weaken.
  • Anything else the GM wants to pop in there.

Pidgin: Jysala is very new to the language that every race shares. This may lead to misunderstandings. She also cannot read.

Power Hungry: Jysala will jump at the chance to have something she wants, sometimes without assessing the consequences.

Languages

Common, Elven

Defense

Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points

Abilities 52 + Powers 42 + Advantages 12 + Skills 32 (64 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 150

Djane was in the M&M game "Legacy" in the archives. She wound up serving as both a plot device and comic relief, bound to serve whoever possessed the artifact she lived inside, using her elemental and transmutive powers. Mortal concerns like having money wouldn't matter to her, but the elusive notion of freedom might - and in the meantime, if the rest of the group drags her along, it's not like she can really say no.

A few ideas are forming. Perhaps in this setting, genies are elemental beings from far outside conventional planes of existence, and the first of them that saw this world were brought here and enslaved by a cabal of sorcerers under demonic influence. The demons gave this trick away to the sorcerers knowing that their work would outlast their lives, and the enslaved genies would persist, tempting mortalkind to greed over and over as the centuries passed.

Djane herself, perhaps, would have wished one free - and wound up taking her place. Instead of her arc being "I'm going to be less selfish," it'd be more "I'm going to realize that even though it enslaved me, I still did the right thing." Not sure why someone else in the group can't just wish her free, though. I'll work on that.

Let the horror commence....

Character Portrait
necromancer_rhanloo_by_anndr-d3bedov.jpg

[b
Kor'ki (Black Void) - PL 10]Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages

Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Artificer, Attractive 2, Benefit, Wealth 2 (indepently wealthy), Fascinate (Expertise), Improvised Tools, Power Attack, Ritualist, Skill Mastery: Expertise: Magic, Uncanny Dodge

Skills

Expertise: Magic 20 (+20)

Powers

Ain't No Grave...

. . Cursed Resilience: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness)

. . Soul Bastion: Immunity 1 (Custom: Soul Eating 1)

Elven: Immunity 2 (Aging, Sleep)

Necromancy

. . "Grinding the Bones": Cumulative Progressive Affliction 11 (1st degree: Hindered, Impaired, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Stunned, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 21, Advantages: Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Power Attack; Accurate 4: +8, Cumulative, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack, Progressive; Limited Degree)

. . "Strings of Flesh, Levers of Bone": Concentration Cumulative Progressive Affliction 10 (1st degree: Entranced, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Concentration, Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception, Progressive, Subtle 2: undetectable)

. . Necrotic Burst: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Burst Area 4: 250 feet radius sphere, Increased Range: ranged, Incurable, Ricochet 2: 2 bounces, Selective)

. . Raise the Dead: Summon 10 (Active, Controlled, Increased Duration: continuous, Mental Link, Sacrifice, Type (Broad): Undead Humanoids)

. . Soul Steal: Broad Progressive Simultaneous Weaken 10 (Affects: Abilities, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Broad: Abilities, Increased Range 2: perception, Insidious, Progressive, Simultaneous, Subtle 2: undetectable)

Spectral Form: Insubstantial 4 (Incorporeal; Precise, Subtle: DC 20)

Untethered: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)

Offense

Initiative +0

"Grinding the Bones": Cumulative Progressive Affliction 11, +8 (DC Fort 21)

"Strings of Flesh, Levers of Bone": Concentration Cumulative Progressive Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)

Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)

Necrotic Burst: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25)

Soul Steal: Broad Progressive Simultaneous Weaken 10 (DC Will 20)

Throw, +0 (DC 15)

Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Complications

Motivation: Greed: Kor'ki is what happens when you mix high elven entitlement with a total lack of conscience. Even though his penchant for depravity has resulted in his amassing quite a considerable amount of wealth and fiscal power, he wants more. For those who ask what the man who has nigh unlimited wealth wants, consider this: What could possibly be out there whose value is measured in gold?

Motivation: Thrills: Fairly self-explanatory, Kor'ki is growing weary of being able to buy nearly anything he could possibly desire, from houses, to privilege, to people. In his heart he knows there is something out there that can make him feel alive again and end the droll monotony of the upper crust life.

Temper: Some people just grate endlessly on Kor'ki's last nerve. Sometimes it makes sense, other times it doesn't. Often times it's when someone or some thing interferes with his getting what he wants. Sometimes it's as simple as a human who does something as simple as insulting his name. Other times it is a slowly building series of events that leads to tragedy beyond the comprehension of all but the most twisted mind.

Languages

Native Language

Defense

Dodge 0, Parry 0, Fortitude 10, Toughness 6, Will 10

Power Points

Abilities 0 + Powers 110 + Advantages 10 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 150

“Allow me to be frank at the commencement. You will not like me. The gentlemen will be envious and the ladies will be repelled. You will not like me now and you will like me a good deal less as we go on.”

-Rochester (The Libertine)

It takes a very particular sort of person to become a Necromancer. It takes an even more particular person to excel at it to any significant degree. The High Elves – “Ka’vala” as their more bloody-minded cousins call them – look upon Necromancy with a level of disdain. They view it as ‘low’ and ‘crass’, lacking in sophistication and elegance. To the average High Elf, there is more prestige and dignity in practicing such refined arts as Conjuration, Elementalism, even Transmutation to some extent. Necromancy is there, but for those who wish to have a reputation of breeding and dignity, it is not something worth looking twice at.

Then again, there are people who don’t terribly mind a few marks on their reputation. They look at Necromancy and see it for what it is: Raw, naked power. Kor’ki is one of those people. Like many of his peers, he took to magical training at a relatively early age. Like all of his peers, he dabbled in Necromancy when the opportunity arose. Not an abnormal thing, it was a part of the ‘rebellious teens’ that members of all magical societies went through. Unlike all his peers, he didn’t stop at dabbling.

Kor’ki exhibited a talent for Necromancy that few before him had. A good portion of his success came from the enthusiasm with which he pursued his craft. His instructors looking a bit askance at him the whole time, he worked to achieve mastery over the entropic effects of death magic with the same degree of dedication that they expected out of their students of Conjuration or Evocation. They weren’t entirely sure what to make of this.

Some of Kor’ki’s “peers” knew just fine what to make of it. A group of them cornered him in one of the laboratories as he was dissecting his most recent ‘discovery’. What happened next has been replayed in educational facilities and academies across the world, but this time it took a turn for the severely unpleasant. One of the other elves had become deeply disturbed by the level of devotion he had shown to his art and decided to take matters of justice into his own hands. There might have been a wrath or justice spirit involved. Nobody’s entirely sure. Point is, it didn’t end well.

When the instructors came in to the next morning, they found the broken, twisted remains of his assailant and the associated students among the burnt, flash-frozen, and otherwise elementally decimated lab. Kor’ki was nowhere to be found, although there was a note left behind, carved across the back of the one who had attempted to incinerate him.

“If you wanted me out of here, you could have just asked instead of sending peons to kill me. Message received, I’m gone. Sorry about the mess”

Since that time, he has made his way in the world of man, using his particular skills to set himself up quite nicely. His studies are going well, he continues to push through barriers that no mere dilettante would be able to. He has recognized the reason that the elves look down on Necromancy, and it has nothing to do with grace or dignity. It is fear. Necromancy and the bloodier arts of their “low” cousins scare them. They remind the Ka’vala that they are still mortal, regardless of their age, and that worries them.

To make matters more interesting, he has recently come across a member of the “Low Elves”, a blood witch barbarian. The similarity between her arts and his is not lost on him, nor is the esteem that their society seems to hold such traditions. Their goals seem similar, being the acquisition of power and the gratification of the self. That and she very rarely goes clad in more than a leather apron. It did not take them long to become acquaintances, and after a few exchanges of techniques, friends. It remains to be seen who else, if anyone, will be able to call Kor'ki ally, much less friend.

Archived