The Next Star Wars Director

I actually wouldn't, because I don't really care for Star Wars, and how is Brad Bird going to direct Justice League and Star Wars 7 at the same time...?

That aisde: I'm glad Bird's getting the recognition he deserves. I had him pegged as a genius back in 1999 when I was running around telling everyone "for the love of God, go see Iron Giant."

I love Brad Bird. I'm still not sure I would want to waste his talents on Star Wars. But if he's already wasting them on stuff like Mission Impossible I guess Star Wars is an improvement.

I've also heard talk of Matt Vaughn, of Kick-Ass and X-Men First Class, being a potential target.

I'm not sure that I think Vaughn is overrated. He hasn't made a movie that I haven't liked yet, but he's only made 4 films. I wouldn't compare him to directors that I really like, such as Scorsese, Fincher, Aronofsky, del Toro or Jackson. But compared to Ratner or McG I think he is awesome.

Who do you think would be the fit for the job? When someone asked me that the other day Bird was the first name that came to my mind.

Irvin Kershner made the best Star Wars film to date and absolutely nothing about him would indicate that he would be the best director for Star Wars. Some other directors that I think could make a great film out of it are Duncan Jones, Sam Mendes or Alfonso Cuarón. Would Edgar Wright be too much of a fanboy hire?

I'm not sure that I think Vaughn is overrated. He hasn't made a movie that I haven't liked yet, but he's only made 4 films. I wouldn't compare him to directors that I really like, such as Scorsese, Fincher, Aronofsky, del Toro or Jackson. But compared to Ratner or McG I think he is awesome.

Who do you think would be the fit for the job? When someone asked me that the other day Bird was the first name that came to my mind.

Irvin Kershner made the best Star Wars film to date and absolutely nothing about him would indicate that he would be the best director for Star Wars. Some other directors that I think could make a great film out of it are Duncan Jones, Sam Mendes or Alfonso Cuarón. Would Edgar Wright be too much of a fanboy hire?

I'll be honest, I'm still not fully onboard with X-Men: First Class; I still think it's pacing's slow, they didn't take full advantage of the time period and that other than Magneto, Xavier Raven and Kevin Bacon, the other characters were fairly cookie cutter. I did love Kick-Ass, though.

I still need to see GP, but I think Bird has an excellent grasp of both story and action, and how to use them together. Several of the ones Chosen mentioned would also be cool.

To be honest, though, I think the real question is, who's gonna write it?

I think the real question is, who's gonna write it?

I've heard that Lucas provided a treatment for the new trilogy and that it was a requirement for the deal with Disney. I know a lot more about directors than I do writers, so I have no idea who could turn his ideas into a great screenplay.

Well those were two very well-written films, so that bodes well. I would really like to see Jon Favreau take a stab at a SW film; I think he's got a great attirude towards fantasy and special effects, as well as working well with actors. Yeah, he'd actually be my vote over Brad Bird or Joss Whedon, who would also probably make great SW movies.

Archived