[Exalted] Rain Falls

Heaven's Reach ST

Zed wasn't one of the Marshal's and didn't really have any standing with them, but he was one of the exalted, so he was watched by those around him, even though his face was the sort only a mother would love, a much less pleasant view then some of the other members of Voidswimmer's command crew.

Still, as they stopped in the docks, Althea turned to him and smiled at him slightly, the teenager was young for the responsibility and power she had, but with the training she had, she was someone to be reckoned with..

"So, here we are, the Voidswimmer is right here, I think Karren went to talk to Daddy, as Captain he makes the final choice about the crew." She paused a moment, considering and finding him likable despite his looks, she decided to give him a further pointer. "What's most important to him in this sort of thing is his crew and his ship, prove yourself an asset to both and daddy will be fine with your presence."

Zed looked up at the craft and let a low whistle escape his lips. Niiice. Sleek lines, powerful weapons. Yep. Travelling in style. Assuming the captain decides I'm worth the air.

Glumly, he pondered what his skillset could offer to a ship and came to the unpleasant conclusion that the answer was "not much". He was a passable pilot, but the Marshal doubtlessly had a much more dedicated and competent pilot. Machines remained a sacred mystery to him, and the extent of his computer knowledge was how to shout at the firewall spirits that guarded the public nodes at the grand celestial mountain.

"So, here we are, the Voidswimmer is right here, I think Karren went to talk to Daddy, as Captain he makes the final choice about the crew." She paused a moment, considering and finding him likable despite his looks, she decided to give him a further pointer. "What's most important to him in this sort of thing is his crew and his ship, prove yourself an asset to both and daddy will be fine with your presence."

She had a nice smile, but the moment that he heard the word "daddy" in relation to the Captain, his survival instinct violently stuffed his libido into a chained box and locked it in a bank vault. Still, there was no harm in being friendly.

"I hope to do so. Say, got a place where I can set up? Also it occurs to me that a Marshal's ship maybe doesn't have a yeoman. You guys do important stuff keeping the scum of the galaxy-"

like me

"-in check, so maybe you can let some of the less important administrivia go to little ol' me. Fr'ex, I'm willing to bet that a lot of your ship's stores are a bit out of date. According to naval codes in this sector, you can just fill out a form to get new fresh stuff delivered?"

He had no real idea if that were the case, but it sounded plausible enough. And if it weren't the case, he had little doubt that he could navigate the bureaucracy of the station competently enough to get the ship some additional amenities. Anything to make himself useful.

"In fact, why don't you let me make a call and see about getting the ship topped off?"

Better than being livestock

OOC

Going to try to make a Bureaucracy roll to see about getting additional supplies, ammo, etc that the Voidswimmer is due but may not have

"There's plenty of room to set up, I think we have someone doing that work, but they are busy with all kinds of other things, so an actual Yeoman would be appreciated, I think we sometimes end up without some of the stuff we should have cause we don't have someone in that position, if you do it well daddy will likely want to take you on permanently, and he can pay very well... might be able to buy your own ship that way. " Even as she replied, she lead him though the ship toward the Captain's quarters, and she continued to give him advice.

"Of course, daddy is also a Dawn caste, he values a degree of military competence as well, but your one of the Sable Dragons, I'm sure you'll do fine on that front, and if not, you'll learn fast" she paused outside the door of the Captain's quarters. "Here we are, good luck."

Dan sat in side, feeling the presence of his daughter, and someone he didn't know. Feeling secure in that no one would dare attack here, and that he'd not done anything lately to bring such an attack on, he nodded, setting down his tablet. "Come in Althea, and bring your friend."

His quarters were immaculately kept, very clean, showing no real signs of occupancy, save a high quality painting of Thorin. It was old, older than most would surmise. While a hologram would have been a better fit on this starship, the painting and the world held special significance to the Dawn Caste Marshal.

Okay. Here we go. First impressions and all that.

Using Auspicious First Meeting Attitude

Pushing the door open, Zed walks in. He'd changed to his best clothes, the one that convinced others he was more of a mostly-successful gambler instead of a used vehicle merchant. His demeanor fairly radiates good cheer and his smile, while certainly not able to get him many dates, is definitely friendly and open.

"Captain Hawkins," he says, extending his hand, "Copper Palm Zed, merchant and distant relative of Danaa'd, at your service. Your second, Lieutenant Karren, directed me to come here. She was of the opinion that I could make myself useful around here."

Polite. Great. Dawn Caste. Warrior. Take some initiative. Fortune favors the bold. No guts no glory. Fuckin' talk!

"I must say that after seeing your ship, there is painfully little that I could add to it, but I must point out that I've got some experience navigating through bureaucracies of various stripes and, in addition to maybe taking administrivia loads from your more capable crew, I submit that I'm familiar with the... less savory elements of life in less law-abiding parts of space. Individuals who might view a Marshal such as yourself with trepidation are often much quicker to trust one that they percieve as being one of thier own."

With a self-effacing nod, he waits for the Captain's reply.

Dan looked up from his paperwork at the Dragonblood before him. Zed was nothing at all to look at, and yet, there was an almost cheerful amiability surrounding him.

"Good to meet you, Zed." He rose from his desk and came around offering him a solid handshake.

So you've seen my ship, and feel your best contribution would be to serve as an administrator? Do you have credentials, references?"

He looked at Althea and nodded. "Nonwithstanding that my Daughter and Karen thought you worthwhile enough to send you to me. There are some manner of protocol here. You aren't like the others I've added recently."

He offered Zed his own shark-like grin. "Now your second skillset, if either of the two, is something that I can probably make use of. This ship commands one kind of respect, the badge I carry does too. But while it opens some doors, it closes many others."

"Tell me Zed, what do you know of the Lintha?" And that was about as far as he'd tell anyone not crew about where he was going. In truth he'd almost decided to let the man stay, Karen's trust was hard to win, and Althea, well she seemed to regard him almost like a pet or little brother already it seemed. She may have even coached him a little.

Wow. That night just keeps getting more and more interesting.

"I know they're dangerous and not to be trusted. Slavers, pirates, butchers. And those are the best of them. I've never had any direct dealings with them, I'm happy to say. But if you're considering any sort of operation against them, then I might be of more use than initially thought of. They do like to recruit, and dragon-bloods that have no ties to the central Trade Clans are useful. So if we're talking undercover, I might very well be a useful point of contact."

"I'm also halfway-decent at staying alive in a brawl. I won't pretend to be any sort of an expert, certainly not in comparison to a celestial Exalt such as yourself, but I can probably escape to carry useful information back to you."

Wait, did I really just offer to stick my neck out like that? So much for not getting shot in the face.

"I had a feeling that would be the case, Zed. I'm willing to take you on, but I want to make something perfectly clear to you. The crew of this ship and the ship itself are quite important to me. Do right by them, and we will get along just fine. Be a detriment to them, and we have issues."

He offered him a smile. We have some rather interesting elements already on board Zed, people you wouldn't expect to be crew on a Marshal ship. Rest assured, they too are members of the crew."

Zed's shoulders untense, surprising him with how loose they suddenly feel. The Captain's acceptance release a knot of tension that he wasn't aware he'd been holding.

"Sounds like a plan captain. If you'd like, I can start right away. Get me an account on the ship's computer and I'll see about making your administrivia run smoother than... uh... something appropriately lubricated. And when the time arises for some underhanded knowledge, I'm standing by."

He nodded. "Very well." He went and created the account, putting him in as Yeoman, and then turned around. "You have your account, and access to the network." He nodded. "Have your kit delivered to the ship, I've got one more cabin left, so it will be yours. Once you're settled in, you can get started. We're going to be a longer patrol than normal, and making the appropriate requisitions."

The cabin is more spacious enough for his purposes. He sets his kit down and starts rooting through it. Underneath some dirty laundry, above some skin mags and beside a half-full quart of rum is his notebook. He opens the well-thumbed tome and looks it over.

"Kay... let's see..."

He mutters to himself as he looks over rules and regulations pages. He quickly finds one address regarding maritime regulations (can't get out of smuggling charges if you don't know the laws) and starts researching it. Cross-checking it with the access that the captain has given him, he proceeds to zone out, looking for loopholes and exceptions.

After a long hour, he leans back, slightly miffed. His initial thought that stores were out of date turned out to be right on the money. Since the Voidswimmer had been more than three months without having its medical supplies restocked, they were eligible for a complete resupply that included more antibiotics and newly-approved painkiller drugs. All he had to do was fill out a form 1128/06 and get the captain's signature. The out-of-date but perfectly serviceable medical supplies were to be put in storage. "Storage" defined as "in a clearly-labeled container to be located in a section of the ship designated for placement of items not immediately necessary to ship's operations". He has little doubt that the captain can be convinced to designate a one-by-one meter section of the sickbay as a storage area for a clearly-labeled but easily-opened crate of old but useful medical supplies.

Okay. Doubled our conventional medicine load

It was a similar story for foodstuffs and new uniforms. The irritation came from not being able to do more. The fact that there were so many exalts as part of the crew actually worked against them in some cases. They were not eligible to get access to a Femotech Transdermal Hypo harness, which would be able to deliver medicine, painkillers and the like directly into the body without the need for needles or incisions. Regulations for such devices specifically prohibited them from being deployed to "vessels where there are more than two (2) exalted individuals in an official capacity (OR) more than two (2) exalted individuals listed as passengers on the manifest (OR) more than five (5) individuals who possess some degree of conscious control of essence through natural or femotechnological means." Because there were so many exalts, it was assumed that some form of medical magic could be employed, so the machine was to be deployed elsewhere, on Marshal vessels that weren't so chock-full of the Chosen.

Still. It was better than nothing.

There we go. Feet wet. Lets hope I can stay afloat.

Archived