[Exalted] Calm before the Storm

Dan Hawkins

In the only Truly "Private" quarters on the ship, Nova dropped the pretense of being Dan Hawkins. Here he was who he truly was. Nova Corona sat at his desk, looking over his new transfer paperwork, getting to know the new members' most vital data, as he would spend time personally with them before they left port.

"I remember doing this before, so many times, with so many more people being crossdecked." The young solar shrugged. "At least it was only a handful on the mortals, the addition of Four new Exalted though, that substantially upgrades our capabilities."

In private, he would air concerns he never would in public. "I worry about Janos." He sat back looking over the scant file he'd been given on the renegade Infernal.

"I want to believe command has a reason for all of this, that this whole busniess of hitting the Lintha where it hurts will be possible, but we are simply one ship."

He cracked his knuckles. "I don't fear those demonkin bastards personally, but This crew is not so fortunate to be well drilled in combat. I worry for them, should any of us fail in our duty to protect them."

He ceased speaking, giving the other occupant of the room time to voice her concerns and thoughts.

"You worry too much," commented Karren's voice from the bed, springs creeking as the large lunar turned onto her front to consider her mate with golden eyes, "We got this. Alot of the Star Chosen may have egos the size of a star, but they wouldn't throw us, all of us, at a problem if they didn't think we had a chance at coming out the other side. A tossed needle can find chinks in a set of armor that a goremaul can't. Besides, this is a good crew. Even our new Infernal. Nobody fights as hard as someone trying to prove themselves trustworthy to a new gang after betraying another."

Old memories danced across her vision, good and bad as she laughed, "Besides, he proves too big a problem, we always have the 'experimental security procedures' in place. You did set those up, right?"

She let the question lie, pondering something else as she waited for an answer.

[envoy] 8:58 pm: okay, testing to see if karren remembers meeting that sidereal.

envoy *rolls* 3d10: 9+4+3: 16

[envoy] 8:59 pm: huh. so she does. For now...

"I did. All the cargo holds have them in the interests of fairness." He finished up the "paperwork" of reading the files, and sighed. "Honestly I think you're right Karren. Still, It is a Captain's job to worry after those they command, and protect them if they can."

He nodded. "So now that I have finished my duty for today, I am free to relax. I think it only fair that If you're up for it, I spend my time with you."

He looked at her. "So what is it you would like to do?" In the field he didn't ask, but in port a curious change came over him. It was the only time he let his guard down, even a little. He sat down at the foot of the bed and held her gaze waiting to see what fun She had in mind for today.

The red-head's expression crinkled with a wicked amusement, resting her chin in both hands as she considered the request, "What do *I* want to do with you? Hm hm hmmm... Well, this planet is too extreme to have a good beach, but I could go for a few hours in whatever they have for a pool on this station to train new Marshalls in aquatic rescues, after that... We go eat in a *wonderful* place I found in the lower decks, and then let our evening take nature's course once we get back to the ship, Mr. Nova. If *you're* still up to it by then, that is."

"Oh, and I might ask you to stab me in the arm later this week. I'm working on a new trick to prevent a repeat of our first day here... Oh, any problems adding our second Dragonblood to the roster? He seems people skillsy enough to be worth a berth, even if I wasn't honorbound to get him on board one way or the other."

He nodded. "Alright, I am fairly certain I can arrange all of that."

When she mentioned Zed, he sighed. "He;ll be fine if the others don't kill him. He's a Character, to say it politely." The Solar Marshal chuckled. "He fits right in with the exalted aboard this ship though." He changed clothes, donning something casual, and packed a bag with clothing for the pool. "Are we going to need fine clothing for the place you found or will this suffice?"

"He went over and caressed her cheek. "Karren, knowing you, there's no worry that I'll be up for quite abit when we return, especially since I'll be in your company." He teased her lightly, it was something he'd do in port, but seldom on tour.

Karren did chuckle now, trapping his hand against her lips for a kiss with her own before letting go and answering, "One of these centuries I'm going to break you in to the idea that it is not our place to follow mortal rules of conduct. It is our place, granted by the divine Incarnae themselves, to decide what is right and wrong for the good of the verse, a divine endorsement to do whatever we please for the greater good of all."

She rolled off the bed and into a crouch, still grinning, "But, yes. Causal dress is fine for the place I have in mind. A nice little spacers bar that smelled like the meat was still kicking when they put it in the oven and a sign advertizing karaoke for the truly courageous."

Her grin lit up on that last bit, rising to her feet, muscles rolling under her skin, "Shall we go?"

He chuckled. "Perhaps. I believe though that the Laws do apply to us too, for we are Exalted, and should lead mortals by our inspiring example. Wearing Clothes is the societal norm, and we Will adhere to it, everywhere save within this room."

"And before you mention Dyna, There is no real way to force her to do anything, fighting her regarding clothing is something I will only do on the most formal occasion."

He pulled her close to him for a playful kiss. "Karoke? My we're feeling brave tonight after all aren't we?" With that he went to his terminal to make arrangements for the pool.

That done, he chuckled. "Come on, and no using your other forms in the pool." He nodded as he moved in close to her. "When next we get leave planetside, especially on Thorin, I'll take you to a secluded beach I know, where you can be free of all constraints."

He offered her his arm before setting off, leading her to the pool, finding it not full, but they were not alone by any stretch. Mostly there were some families, though there was a section that seemed reserved by a more adult crowd.

Of course there was another door with the Legend "Hot tubs" above it. "So, some laps first? or the hottub, after a visit to the changing rooms."

"You know me. Work before pleasure. Got to feel the burn before enjoying the heat," she answered down at her mate, grinning as clothing vanished into Elsewhere and was swiftly replaced by living chiton that did a better job imitating a bikini than most bikinis would have on the Luner's massive body.

She could feel the reproach coming before Dan spoke it, adding with a flip of her hair and a rap of her nails on the bony material, "What? I'm still 100% human under this and no one can see anything indecent."

There was a challenging smirk on her face as she spoke, turning on one heel to make long strides for the laps end of the pool, an implicite dare in her voice.

Nova left her alone for the most part, swimming laps himself, and eventually the two ended up enjoying the hottub for a time. They weren't alone, by the sounds coming through the mists and steam, and he was thankful for the separate tubs. He relaxed, letting his stress melt away as he sat with her, before they got out and showered, and changed clothes, ready for a daring night of Karaoke, relaxation, and whatever would follow.

He smiled looking at her as he walked beside her. "So where is this place?" They were an odd couple, he was tall, but not overly so, or even particularly built. He could easily get lost in a crowd if he wished, so long as no one looked to his eyes, to see the intensity burning there.

"Is this somewhere you've frequented, or is this going to be a new experience for us both?" His tone was mirthful, he knew this was going to be interesting, even if it didn't prove that "fun." Still, the promise that the evening would still hold more for them long afterwards made him smile.

"Peeked my head in but nowhere I've visited before," responded the Lunar with a grin big as her completely unapolegetic presense. It was a rare crowd that Karren had been able to mingle in unobtrusively since she she had hit her last few growth spurts growing up, and she wasn't even making the effort since her Exaltation, forging a path through the crowd for her Mate as if they were the dunes of her home and she the rightful mistress of all she surveyed.

"...And as for where... Ah, yes. Right where I remember," she continued, waving ahead at a brightly-colored restaurant front, nostrils flaring as she took in hints of cooking meat and grin wry as snatchets of amauter song emerged with the swinging of a door. The Lunar made her path for the door, long strides eating up the distance, hair in a ponytail against her back.

Dan followed, watching her move almost as if she were hunting something. At least she's in human form. He'd watched her hunt before in her spirit form, It was almost boring, and then there was a great deal of carnage.

He followed her to the door, but was fast enough to grab it and hold it open for her, Something he wagered she indulged him to do, and followed her inside. They were quickly seated in one of the booths to the side of the place and given some well used menus, while a new duet took the dias to sing.

The Lunar studied the menu for a moment, finger tracing the items with a smile on her lips. But only for a moment before she slapped the menu back down with a grin. "Oh, that's it. 'The Maidens Meat Mountain', 'a sampler of our best daily stock grilled to perfection with an array of sauses and any two sides you want'. And by the looks of this picture, big enough to split between even two hungry Exalted wanting to get away from it all and enjoy one another's company."

She smiled and leaned back, gold eyes measuring the captain, "Or do you see something you'd like better, Captain Hawkins?"

He looked at her. "I know what I want for desert, but I'll have to wait for it. Still, it's more than worth it." The entire time he spoke he didn't look away from her. They placed their order, and had drinks brought over as well, even as another patron took the dias with some old rock anthem from decades past.

Dan looked at her and chuckled. "I've not recognized any of these songs so far.."

He still couldn't help tapping his foot to the music, even if the singing was terrible.

"We're going to HAVE to get you caught up one of these afternoons. My memory for the past may not be as good as yours, but at least I can recognize the 'they played it ten thousand times a day on the radio' hit of the sector. Incarnae, I so wanted to punch the singer," she joked with a chuckle, "And it's not bad for karoyoke. Not at all. Speaking of which..."

She knocked back a gulp of beer, scooched out of the booth, and made her her causally crowd-breaking progress to the sign up podium, fliting through the song list with an evil glint of amusement as she picked her tool of amusement. Oh, she was looking forward to this and it showed in every movement she made, the Lunar relaxed and at play rather than war.

Nova sat back and smiled. "Well some things never change at all." The mate he remembered had been headstrong and passionate, jumping headlong into most everything. He sat back, ready to listen to her sing, hoping he at least recognized the song, but would give better than eighty percent odds that he wouldn't.

"This will certainly be entertaining, I imagine."

Archived