Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Fiction - Mission 2: Detoured [Mature] [FIN]

The Traveler

Yomiko kissed Daniel. "Yeah... and now that we have another Nova on the crew we're gonna have to start seeing where she fits in on things."

She sits in a more comfortable spot of the hammock, facing Daniel and adjusting her glasses. "I am the captain of the ship, and your safety is my concern as well as anyone else onboard."

"Plus now I am puzzled with the fact that we'll be transporting a notorious prisoner."

"My life is never easy, and I'm thinking I sort of like that."

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yomiko adjusted her glasses. "To be honest..."

She went quiet for a moment. "If you could arrange a "accident"... that might be best."

"I grew up with the Empress of Brittania, and I could see the horror on her face when she saw the reports of what The Corsair did... That... and I found out that a friend of the family was seriously wounded by her."

"This... is sort of personal... I do want to see her first before any decision is made."

Yomiko was suddenly in a dark place. A place even Daniel wouldn't have thought possible with the normally angelic girl.

Her mind was a hard train to get back on track once it's derailed or changed tracks. Although Daniel was someone who, at least for her was a guiding light in a dark sea.

"I'm here... It's just been a frustrating day, now that I think of it."

Daniel's influence was a distraction, and her almost finally getting something out of the way just dissapearing into the night because of interlopers hadn't pleased her one bit.

"I just hope we get a bit of good news in the Morning... or at the least have one day we can enjoy."

Yomiko smiled. Having Daniel around was perhaps what she needed.

"Right..." She says, hugging Daniel. "...and agreed on my part."

She kisses him, and as they finished their dinner, they enjoyed the coming morning. Yomiko occasionally organized her pod, rummaging for some normal clothes, and putting their remaining catch in a small refridgerator she put in.

"Daniel... sorry, but I don't have any clothing for a man onboard... might need to either wash what you had on or... might have to borrow some clothes from the base. I think we might be talking with some of the folk at the base today."

She smiled. "I'm sure you could negotiate something."

he smiled, and set a box on the table. "I got a set of fatigues. Had a real nice young quartermaster, they had a few spares, and we are guests after all."

he smiled going to another room to change after picking up the clothes, coming back in a t-shirt and pants. "Not a bad look I suppose."

Yomiko nodded, seeing the blue digital pattern pants made Daniel seem a bit more tougher than she knew him. Yomi decided to grab her sailor collared blouse and shorts. The weather only seemed to be getting warmer. Although now she was wearing full hiking boots instead of her barefoot as before. That and she grabbed a tan day-backpack and put that over a shoulder.

"Might rain Today shortly." She said, pointing towards a gathering set of thunderheads starting to approach. "The weather is setting up into monsoon season. But we won't have really nasty storms, just rain."

It was starting to get darker as the clouds thickened, although it would be another hour before the island was socked in. Yomiko and Daniel grabbed breakfast as the rain increased outside. Soon enough though a young seaman... woman actually knocked on the door where Yomiko and Daniel were staying. She was wearing a soaked military issued poncho, as she looked over the two she was a bit suprised. "Well, the General said that you guys were aliens, yet I don't see any green skin."

Her accent was Minnesotan, almost sounding like she stepped off the set of Fargo. "Seaman First Class Lucrezia Peterson." She said, standing at attention. "I've been assigned to assist you two in any way as you are here on the island. As Guests not only of the United States, but Planet Earth."

Yomiko blinked. "No need for formalities, Seaman Peterson. You can call me Yomiko. This is Daniel, my traveling companion. Is there a reason why you were sent?"

"Yes, the Secretary of State is here waiting to see you. You'll be walking outdoors so I reccomend you wear something waterproof."

Seaman Peterson opened the door and the rain was in sheets.

"Monsoon season's started. Gonna be raining here for almost the entire season... I hate the rain personally."

"You two... aren't harmed by water are ya?"

She looked over Daniel. "I can see at least whatever planet you came from you get fed well." She says with a smile.

Yomiko smiled. "No need..."

She held out her hand and she formed a rain-suit out of paper that seemed to take on a plastic-like yellow sheen. "The nice thing about commanding paper is you can do anything with it."

"Keep the poncho." She said, patting Daniel on the shoulder. "You lead, Ms. Peterson." She says, smiling.

She knows though she should at least keep her occupied, unless she falls into the gravity well of Daniel's charisma. Although Yomiko seems to have increased her ability to distract as the three walk outside.

"So... what is it that this base is used for?" Yomiko asked.

"It's generally used to assist in operations of our space stations that we operate with our international partners." Seaman Peterson said, pointing over to a couple large sattelite dishes.

"These dishes are also part of the deep-space network for our space probes."

Yomiko nodded as they moved on.

"Daniel..." Yomiko asked in a whisper to Daniel. "...can you see in the infrared? If so keep an eye out for any invisible beams in certain areas, just tug on the sleeve of my raingear."

"Yep. After the second world war with the odd visitors that appeared, our technological development just went up exponentially. First there was low-energy fusion, then there was new alloys and materials, then there was the computers and now... we have the startings of colonies on the moon and we're going to have our first flight to Mars in a couple years."

The seaman guides them to the main installation of the base and guides them in once sweeping a security card past a reader. She hangs her poncho on a coathook nearby where several others and a few raincoats where hanged.

Yomiko used her abilities to completely shed the water still on her rainsuit to the floor instantly before returning the paper to her hand, slipping it into her backpack. "There we go..." She said smiling. "Lunar colonies, really?" She said with a smile. "I take it you called the Soviets as Russians... I assume Communism had fell out of favor there?"

"Yes, although China right now is starting to tear itself apart between the hardline Communists and the pro-west Socalist Democrats. China has been using it's technological strength to hold down dissent, but the purple chinese there are fighting back a bit better."

"The Russians hae been quiet, but their interests in Arctic and Alaskan oil fields has not been completely unnoticed. And they are antagonizing the Japanese over contested islands in the Japanese north."

She sighed. "Then there is their constant whining about the European Union and NATO's efforts with their missile defense programs."

"I would wager where you come from these politics are silly."

Yomiko grinned. "We've had worse."

"Well, that would be where I come in."

A voice is heard from inside a room near where they were. "Come in you three."

Yomiko took the lead, stepping into a darkened room, with several video screens to the left and right of a man sitting at a central table, his hands steepled in front of his face. The General that had greeted Yomiko and Daniel stood behind the desk next to the man. There were several individuals on the screens surrounding the desk facing towards the center of the room.

"Well, you are the Librarian? Captain of the Hikari Maru, The wanderer among the multiverse. Heard tell of you, and your Mother that recently showed up. She's... caused a bit of a stir.

You're dressed oddly for a librarian."

"You're the Secretary of State to the United States, I wager? This seems a bit dramatic for just a social meeting."

"Yep... And these people here on the screens are foreign ministers from other countries that we are allied to... at least some of the major partners here." He said, gesturing to the screens.

"So... why was I called in?"

"We need to know what to expect from the Brittanians. They are a world-wide empire based off of the British Monarchy, are they not?'

"Actually, Sir... they are more of based off of the modern Constitutional Monarchy most simulacra of the UK are based on. I would assume the UK of this universe operates on a similar basis... and by the way the Queen is a wonderful girl in any universe."

The Foreign Minister from the UK, a freckled, ginger-haired girl giggled.

"I assure you, the Brittanians are no threat. Once they arrive they will be just discovering what happened to their lost ship, retrieving remains, then moving on."

The Secretary nodded. "What about you?"

"Well, originally I and Daniel were heading on a vacation when we... had an accident. That vehicle we arrived in was an escape pod. We're just waiting for our ship to return as the accident wasn't one that destroyed our ship but required us to abandon ship."

She adjusted her blouse. "I wouldn't mind sticking around for a few days to sort out things, followed by leaving off on my voyages once more."

"And that you shall. But I would talk to your travelling companion now."

The secretary adjusted his glasses. "I was told by the guard sentries we sent to the site where you were encamped that they noticed you had metahuman powers. So does The Librarian. How long have you had your powers?"

"And for that matter, and this is to the Librarian, is that are the people coming also expressing powers?"

Yomiko was quick to respond. "Not many, sir, probably on their retrieval crews thay may have one or two among a total crew of 100."

"Why?" Yomiko added with a question of her own.

Seaman peterson stepped up, controlling a orb of water in her hand after she closed the door behind her. "We Metahumans keep our powers secret. The world has grown accustom to technology and explainable phenomenon. To know people are able to control the fundamental forces of the universe is... a paradigm shift beyond what we fear that world culture is unable to understand." She said. "My actual rank in the Navy is Fleet Admiral. I've been placed in charge of our metahuman assets in the service."

The Secretary nodded. "We've been keeping metahuman existance a safe, secure secret since the second world war... Training our metahuman assets and learning how they evolve, learning their assets and drawbacks and learning how to treat their illnesses."

He walks over to Daniel. "We've been preparing for a moment when we could finally... and safely reveal this to the world and show that Metahumans aren't to be feared."

He adjusts his suit as he takes the center of the room nest to Peterson. "Unfortunately the presence of you two and the appearance of your Mother, Librarian, have... complicated matters."

Yomiko looked concerned, placing her hands in her pockets. "So... how will you endeavor to... uncomplicate matters?"

"Oh... perhaps making it where the arrival of the Brittanians cause a "Eruption event" when the gates open... Then we start moving our pre-planned scripts into play. Make what we've learned about Metas "emergency research" that was fast-tracked..."

"We honestly don't like doing it this fast, but this has caused..."

Yomiko glared. "You wouldn't be in this predicament if you just were open with your citizens from the start!" She shouted. "You want a way out... you open up the books, you level with your people and you STOP THE ILLUSION!"

The secretary shrinked back.

"I'm angry... never been this angry before... this is new..."

Daniel put a hand to Yomiko's shoulder. "Calm down."

He looked at the Admiral, and the Secretary, and nodded. "And you control the metahumans how?"

"when you discover one, do you give them a choice, or do you simply lock them away?"

He was very calm. "If Fifty thousand meta humans appeared tomorrow, what would you do, hypothetically?"

"The first few metahumans were already in our armed forces. They were exposed to tech brought over by the crash survivors. We... made alot of mistakes the first couple decades and we in fact did what you did. But when we understood... we offered knowledge and understanding of who they were when more appeared."

"The second batch of Metas we had learned from our mistakes, and they are as free as any other individual, understanding their powers we trained them in, are to be kept a secret."

He sighed. "We went through a very dark time and now... now we want to avoid a second one."

"Thing is... this facade is starting to break. Conspiracy Theorists, cultists... and outright whack-jobs are trying to control the conversation..."

Yomiko spoke up, regaining her calm. "What you need, then... is someone that can put the best face foreward?"

Some of the faces on screen looked interested.

"What you need... is an ambassador."

The secretary sat back in his seat as the lighting went up. "Then what to you propose."

"Simple... Let I and Daniel level with the world."

"What?"

"When people know what they are dealing with, understanding brings acceptance. And no one here is more qualified to handle this... than us."

The general grunted incredulously as Yomiko continued. "Please... THIS is what I do for a living. I go to world upon world bringing knowledge. I do what can be done to ensure the peace and bring an end to conflict before it starts..."

"In a way Brittania is responsible for placing your world in the position is in... Please... let me... let us try to not only fix the mess that you created, but in the end... make things better."

She looked flustered, but determined at this point.

The secretary sat back down. "You know... if 50,000 metahumans suddenly appeared... publicly... we would eliminate them. We know their weaknesses and their strengths. We've... grown very profficient."

"Then again... this proposal... that the Librarian proposed seems fascinating."

Daniel and Yomiko's presence alomse seemed to push reason foreward.

"Alright... Gather what you need... Do you need a way to set up an audience, Librarian?"

"Yes... a way to ensure I can speak to the entire world. Uncensored."

"No better forum than a general assembly of the United Nations, my dear. They are all in meetings in New York right now discussing your Mother's appearance."

"I need 3 days to prepare. Then I can start."

She adjusted her outfit. "To think I could have a vacation..."

"You would "Eliminate them?"

He looked to Yomiko. "If that's the enlightenment of this world, Then we would be wise to simply leave it be." He looked to them, the General, the secretary, and the heads on the screens. "You've made your bed, now you will lay in it."

He scowled. "You're no different from the people on my homeworld, fearing us, not giving us a chance, just round us up and put us in camps, or "eliminate" us."

"You have already seen the benefits of coexistence, but force your Novas to hide in the shadows. yt you post of your proficiency killing them."

He looked at them all. 'You will reap what you have sown."

Yomiko holds up her hand.

"Daniel... please... trust me for once..."

She stands up putting her hand on his shoulders. "Let's talk, you know where."

She turned to the secretary. "Three Days... No sooner. Or you're on your own. The Brittanians are known for... getting into a self-righteous fury if needed..."

The Secretary looked distressed as Yomiko and Daniel stepped back out.

"I have a plan..." Yomiko whispered once she got her raingear on and stepped outside, using the rain as a muffling effect. "...and if it pans out... we both get what we want." She said. Flat and assured. "My concience won't rest to see this just drop or fall apart. Either I'll steer it right or it hits an iceberg. It's up to them how they go from there."

"This place is dead to me once we're done here, for good or ill."

Daniel scowled. "Alright, fine. I want to see what they do."

He looked at her. "As you may have noticed, I have a big problem with Novas being oppressed, or eliminated because they're novas. It goes back to my world, and how things were there."

The temperature around them rose, and he seemed agitated for the first time. Clearly his thoughts were on more direct measures.

"I know... my world was like that... well, my Mother's world... getting erased from existence then resurrected tends to change your view on life." She says with a playfully disarming tone. "Look... if I play this right this will destroy their conspiracy once and for all in one decisive act. If not... you're my trump card."

"Ever see the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still?"

She says this, motioning Daniel to follow to another wide open, but dead spot near the water.

Yomiko grinned. "I speak softly... you are my big stick. I have... doubts... that I will be who I am after this... It seemed, at least to me and I am a general good judge of character, that they want a good change... but this... there has to be some that don't want their paradigm shattered even if it is for the greater good."

"I want them to fear you."

She shows Daniel her com-link. "This has a transponder for the Hikari Maru to use a emergency transporter to send me back to the ship... that red button there is the switch. Once I am down use it so I can recover safely. Not before then..."

"It gives the appearance of me being immolated... When you activate it, flare up and you do some fire and brimstone. You tell them... with all that fire and passion you show me... of how to be. If my kindness won't do... your stern admonition... no... your divine rage will do."

She put her comlink back in her ear. "These once the Hikari Maru arrive will also translate all spoken and written language. Some are... more superstitious than others."

"No... just some old testament words from the mountain..."

"You're my plan when things go completely FUBAR. Brittania owes my Mother a favor as well... and I plan on setting up my plan B once the Hikari Maru gets back."

She straightens her rain suit, then opens her arms wide and looks up, feeling the heavy rain on her face and hands, as she pulls her hood back, keeping it tight around her neck so no rain sneaks in.

"Otherwise... my Plan A stands. A simple trade of information is what is the meat of the matter. The fluff... well that's for me to negotiate with my God-Sister."

"God sister? Your Dad got around didn't he?" He smiled. He was no stranger to that, he had had other women after Sonja, though none could really compare to her, so he didn't, not consciously.

He nodded. "back to our rooms, all we can do is wait it out. Our storming out no doubt caused some stir, and if nothing else we can sleep in the pod."

"True... in fact the motors are working again, so we could just motor on out... I think we've overstayed our welcome."

She sighed. "Besides we'll need some room, when the Hikari Maru arrives, it'll be in it's default form... you've not seen that yet have you?"

"If you've seen Halo... it's sort of like the Pillar of Autumn or the Infinity."

She pats Daniel on the back, giggling. "We'll motor out into international waters, and just sit there. The fishing was good and we still got what we caught."

Sighing, she walks to the shack to pick up her day-pack full of her belongings. "Why is it these societies always have their nagging dark-side?"

he looked at her. "God I hope not the Infinity, it's six kilometers long."

He walked with her to get her things. "They always do, because humanity does."

He kissed her cheek. "Even me, even you. The point is to not cross that line, to ensure reason rules us, not rage, not darkness."

"Well, she's pretty large on the inside, the Hikari Maru..."

She smiled, returning Daniel's kiss. They head outside and start loading the pod. As they finish, a couple of the guards start paying attention as the pod is switched into boat mode as the side floats inflate and the pod lowers to allow the water jets the ability to function. Yomiko closes the back hatch and starts off.

"Alright... I think I got another option where we can go..."

She points out a spot in the middle of the sea of Thailand.

"There is a sensor shadow there... a perfect place to hide us." She says, pressing a blue button and Daniel can see from what is outside that they're sinking.

"Oh don't worry... this is a submersible too."

They navigate past some security mines and make their way to the west.

"Once we get to this spot... this dead area... we'll surface."

"I'm... okay I'm tired of saying it... why should I be sorry about these... these..."

Raagh! She shouts as she flips over a makeshift table. "I am *THIS* close to just forsaking this entire thing... not tell the Brittanians anything..."

She clutches the red suit she put on, which while bearing 80 years of storage still looked quite functional for it's use. "Dammit..."

"Daniel... we can run... and not look back. Once Rebecca gets here we get the hell out."

She had a look of pain, mental pain.

He looked at her. "We won't run, unless they force us."

He smiled. "It will be okay, They have no idea how powerful i actually am. I've kept that suppressed this entire time, like most of my abilities." He stroked her cheek softly. "Rest, and make sure the pods' sensor gear is on."

"When rebecca and the ship get here, they'll have no choice but to go public."

"Heh... maybe we can make them play our game... if the diplomatic way doesn't work..."

Yomiko looked out into the water, her hands clasped behind her back, and when she turned back she had a look on her face that was more reminiscent of a James Bond villain than one of the noted heroines of the continuum...

"Very well, Daniel... let's relax then. We got two days of playing Red October out here..."

He nodded. "I agree." He went to unpack his things, and smiled. They were alone again, and yet they couldn't really relax. Not until they left this world could he afford to.

He spent his time reading, or fishing. What he didn't, he spent with her her when she wanted the company.

When they could surface, Yomiko would lazily float on the water. And she would daydream. Watching Daniel keep busy... On the second day they reached their dead spot and waited. The satellite the pod deployed still was functioning properly. And it was raining again. But now Yomiko didn't mind, wearing the suit she found and enjoying the 80+ degree water.

"I think I know where we'll go next for a change of pace..."

Archived