[Heaven's Reach] Chilling Like A Villain

Janos Tem

When: A fairly nebulous time within the first day of everybody getting back on the ship but before “Arts & Crafts”

Where: Voidswimmer Recreation area.

His first incarnation, a master artificer whose works would have put Ligier to shame, would have had no idea how to do anything that Janos was doing at this point. Not long after arriving onboard ship he had found his way to the recreation deck. One of the most important aspects of not being launched into space was becoming well known, well liked, and indispensible to the occupants of whatever ship you happen to be on.

At this point, no doubt his Captain had thoroughly researched whatever records the Marshals had deemed relevant. Easily the finest medic and likely the supreme scholar within… light years, these things were simply known. They were qualities that made one a fine officer of the line. What was completely unknown was that his specific skillset made him uniquely qualified for one of his less professional skills.

Janos Tem was a musician. Not with strings, or winds, or anything of the like since proper performance with such things required a certain degree of activity and excess that just struck him as wasteful. Necessary sometimes, even beneficial, but still pointless. In these times, however, there was that which could be made via electronics. At this point it was a matter of breaking up the sound and desired effect into instructions to a machine. Much like creating a portrait was a simple matter of envisioning and then creating, so too was this.

At this point he was playing one of the creations from when he was on his throne world. An ethereal, airy soundtrack that invoked feelings of being miniscule against an infinitely large span of space and at the same time the idea that with effort it could be the canvas for the greatest masterpiece the worlds have never yet seen.

It seemed to be going over well with the crew, the staggering majority of whom were women, and solidly half had been augmented to bring out their more… personable traits. Something he would have to discuss with his peers.

Sun Kai, contrary to appearances, was not an ascetic monk. He did not begrudge the good taste of food, female companionship, or other fine things, as long as they did not push the line into clear indulgence or extravagance. Moderation, and careful consideration was the key in his mind.

And so to, he quietly went, when he heard the music echoing down the halls. It was a minor surprise to see Janos Tem responsible, and a minor unfortunate thing that he was not using any actual instrument. The natural sounds just pleased more. Nevertheless, he sat down on a couch and listened in quiet appreciation.

The Voidswimmer's self-proclaimed 'Senior Asskicker' had no such restraint or resevorior of decorum, an amused bark of laughter announcing her arrival as she ducked slightly under the door into the recreation area and claimed her favorite corner of the wall to lean against. She was dressed down in a tanktop, sweatpants, and sneakers, a wet towel across her muscular shoulders giving testament to the grueling physical session she had just put herself through in the ship's dojo, and an afterglow of adrenilien spiking her gaze into joy as she took in two of their new Exalts.

"So. Our new Doctor can make music, and our Imaculate likes it," she called, brushing a rogue lock of hair out of her face, studying the the Infernal and unable to hide how much she liked what she saw, "Think you can play something with a beat you can dance to, nice and shiny?"

"Think you can play something with a beat you can dance to, nice and shiny?"

Janos didn't even have to turn use his Sight to determine that this was one of the Lunars on board. Her demeanor was up front, confrontational, and the tightly packed physique was a big clue. As she spoke, he smiled, and an ever-so-slight distortion could be seen in the air surrounding the computer he had set up and was playing music out of. Shortly after, the viewscreen turned off but the music did not stop.

"I would not be worth being called a musician if I weren't, though I believe that the 'shiny' description fits you better. What are you interested in hearing? I presume that you are not talking about your typical high socialite ballroom dancing..."

As he spoke, the music shifted, more accurately, melded into a rendition of an old fashioned waltz. Mostly the same as it was before he had added his own personal touches to it, it seemed to flow into the atmospheric ambiance that had been playing beforehand as if it were the most natural thing in the world, the music had simply been composed this way. He let it play for a measured time before it slipped back into the preceding, ethereal music.

"No, you strike me as a more active, more fluid type. More interested in seeing just how limber your partner really is. A little old fashioned but a much more definite beat..."

The music shifted again. Just as the atmospheric music reached one of its many heights, it drew out for a time and then dropped into a track consisting of guitars, percussion, and some other sounds that in no way, shape, or form sounded like they came out of any sort of instrument.

(A Link, Because I Can)

There was no possible way that this was part of the previous atmosphere, but it was inserted in such a way that the transition was seamless. He let this one play.

"I am nothing if not flexible"

Dan arrived, looking somewhat exhausted, holding a large bottle of water and a towel across his shoulders. "I was going to go back to my cabin and clean up after that, but I admit, such unique sound practically demands an audience." He took a seat. clearly the ship's captain had been through an extremely hard workout.

Sun Kai chuckled as the Lunar brashly made her request. "And in no loss of quality, well done. Although, Security Officer Karen, I should clarify, despite appearances, I am not an Immaculate. I simply live in moderation, and do not care for trappings of wealth in my life."

When the Captain arrived, he nodded his head in greetings. "Welcome Captain. Your training going well?"

Dan nodded. "I am not where I wish to be yet, and so it will continue. Still I have learned much." He worked hard to master combat in all its forms, so that when the time came, he would be able to teach his crew what he knew, and with luck, help them survive.

He had remained busy most of the time the ship was in port, making sure everything went off perfectly for this new deployment.

"I appreciate an individual who is willing to admit that there is more that they can learn, and the pursuit of perfection is always a worthwhile one. If I might ask, what sort of training are you undergoing? Hand to hand? Distance? I am not terribly skilled in the martial arts personally, but I may be able to help you become more dangerous in battle. One of the defining aspects of any given battle is, after all, the choice of weapon"

"I have a working knowledge of the bassics in all forms, with mastery of tactics and strategy, as well as ranged combat. I'm working mostly on close combat aspects, for those instances when firing a gun is not a practical option."

He nodded. "Dangerous, I'll settle for effective. Luckily both Dyna and Althea are very good instructors."

"Got it," the looming red-head offered at Sun Kai's correction, clearly amused by the shift in music genre before Dan's arrival drew her full attention. She relaxed, a warm affection filling her expression, an exhalation of instant happiness that relaxed every muscle in her body just by being in the same room as the Solar.

"Perfection's boring. A flaw or two makes things more interesting," Karren offered before her voice took on a mischevious tone, "Care to save a little water when you take that shower, Dan?"

Karren was so blatant and forward Dan found it refreshing. This was what he remembered about her in the past. She wasn't one to hide anything. "I certainly wouldn't mind, no." They'd end up wasting plenty he was sure.

He looked at Janos and Sun Kai. "How have you been adjusting? I trust there's no issues with the crew." It was an invitation to air complaints if they were there.

Janos observed the interaction between Captain Hawkins and the Security Officer and something that had slightly bothered him about her last statement became clear. He was mildly amused and annoyed that he had forgotten this simple fact. Of course the Lunars would favor imperfection and flaws.

The first and most apparent reason was that their understanding of what exactly perfection consisted of just as limited as everyone else who had not experienced She Who Lives In Her Name (who was, herself, imperfect, if only a self-imposed imperfection). The second, and less obvious to those who were not experts on the intricacies and permutations of the Exaltations themselves. The Lunar Exaltation itself was flawed. It was designed incomplete. The very vehicle that would allow them to reach a state of total harmony and synchronicity was itself, by design, hampered in that respect.

The Lawgivers had been crafted by the Gods to rule over all they surveyed as luminous, flawless kings. The Stewards had been crafted to assist them. They were created to be assistants. Each one was bonded spiritually to a Solar somewhere, without which they would always be at least subconsciously empty. A terrible state of affairs. He almost pitied the Lunars. Almost. Such sentiment was prevented by the simple fact that they had been made this way for a reason and it was their role, much like that of the mortals or the Terrestrial Exalts, to be imperfect seconds to their perfect Solar lieges.

This simply was how the universe worked.

Similarly, the exchange marked the Security Officer as the property of the Captain, not to be courted or trifled with else one earns the wrath of her liege. Briefly entertaining the irony, he likened their relationship briefly to that between Lucien and the End of All Wisdom. One to spread enlightenment and wisdom, the other to bring razor-edged death to those who would defy him. Briefly glancing over at the Terrestrial, he could only think of the Perronelle, whose default purpose was to serve Lucien at all costs. Even in the company of those who defied the Primordials, the hierarchy remained. He kept this to himself.

"I have not had any difficulty, Captain, nor do I have any issue with the crew. One thing of note, though. I notice that all are female and a good portion of them are Sirens. Is there a particular reason for this?"

"The only reason I ask, Captain, is that the majority of the time such a crew is assembled under Celestial Captain, it is in order to initiate a breeding program and lay the groundwork for an elite crew of Enlightened mortals in the years to come. Not an uncommon design for many forward thinking individuals"

Dan looked at him. "Though it may lower your opinion of me, that was not my intent. I was given the option to choose half my crew from the available pool. I chose those people I found most skilled, both in working as part of a crew, and at their tasks. Gender carried no import to me, I just wanted the best I could get. Rhen Command allotted the other half of my crew."

He shrugged. "All the new crewmembers were also female, and a mix of Siren and normal humans. They have worked together seamlessly these last five years, and I have found no fault with any of their performances."

"Yes I have heard the rumors, that I pulled strings to gather a grand harem all to myself. While each of the crew is unflinchingly loyal, I have not used my position malevolently."

"I have not slept with any of them. If that's why Command has seen fit to leave my crew intact, they'll end up disappointed."

"Though it may lower your opinion of me, that was not my intent..."

Did this Captain believe that Janos's opinion of him hinged on something as trivial as a mortal breeding program? An interesting hook to hang one's reputation on, for certain, but not all that was factored in.

They have worked together seamlessly these last five years, and I have found no fault with any of their performances."

Naturally, they are all still present onboard the ship. Any ship, particularly one perpetually engaged in wartime or peacekeeping operations had to maintain strict standards of efficiency and cooperation or else they were doomed to fail.

"Yes I have heard the rumors, that I pulled strings to gather a grand harem all to myself. While each of the crew is unflinchingly loyal, I have not used my position malevolently."

Malevolently? Janos was briefly unsure whether the Captain understood the meaning of this word. Having, showing, or arising from intense, often vicious ill will, spite, or hatred. Perhaps he viewed intituting such a program to be an evil act filled with hate and spite. An interesting perspective. Entirely inaccurate the vast majority of the time, but one he was free to enjoy as Captain.

"I have not slept with any of them. If that's why Command has seen fit to leave my crew intact, they'll end up disappointed."

"No doubt they will, Captain Hawkins, assuming that is their intent. Speaking for myself, however, my questions were not intended to give an indication of character, as it takes considerably more than such a trivial thing to measure an individual's worth. I was simply wondering whether I stood in the midst of such a project or not. That I do not is a valuable piece of information"

"Holy shit," came a new voice as the door swished open to reveal a purple-haired interstellar thief goggling at Sun and Janos. She came forward, eyes wide, and pointed.

"These women are so strange," she said in a trembling voice. "Where are your breasts? Why are you so broad of shoulder? And you have peculiar bumps on your throats...have you had those looked at? They look painful."

"Where are your breasts? Why are you so broad of shoulder? And you have peculiar bumps on your throats...have you had those looked at? They look painful."

Easily recognizable humor, Janos rolled with it. Not being terribly broad-shouldered, at least not in comparison to the Captain or his Dragonblood, he commented on the one thing he knew that he had. He semi-absently flicked at his adam's apple. Not terribly large but still noticeable.

"You know, as luck would have it, I have. Would you believe it is throat armor? It's true. At some point in our history, the Intelligences decided that we would be best suited if we were protected against being hit in the throat. Not terribly effective protection, but still thoughtful. Not as pronounced among the fairer gender, but I imagine that women tend to have a smaller chance of having their necks assaulted. Who would have thought chivalry would have a biological precedent."

"The only problem with THAT line of reasoning," Kestrel said, popping out of 'joke mode' the moment Janos took it seriously, "is that it makes it sound like 'the Intelligences' came first, and designed people. As I understand things, it's the other way around."

Her eyes narrowed slightly, assessing as she scanned Janos up and down. "At least for most of us."

She whirled around, hands on hips to glance over at the captain and his lap-Lunar.

"So, music! What's the occasion? Dance-off? Getting fit to the oldies?"

Most of us indeed. Janos wasn't going to get into an origins of the species discussion with this purple-haired individual. He was more than familiar with the evolution of humanity, from earliest recordable time, until now. What was generally unknown by those who didn't focus in on such things was the sheer scale of the change brought on by millions of individually small, gradual shifts in the makeup of humanity. Some of them were even intentional.

Was it mere coincidence that the height of the Solar Exalted's rule, the creation of the Stellar Intelligences, and the renaissance of human modification had taken place sequentially? Of course it wasn't, but this wasn't a good topic for light conversation. This was a time for socializing, not education.

"No occasion, it seemed like the best way to break the ice and let people meet each other in something resembling a personal capacity. After all, we are going to be together for some time, we should likely know who we are, am I right?"

Janos extended a hand toward the purple one. "Janos Tem, Official Medical Officer, Unofficial Artificier, and Part Time Composer"

Kestrel only hesitated a moment, but it couldn't have been lost on anyone with any perception. The reality was that her first instinct was to refuse the hand and possibly walk away. Her total calculation was more complex than that though. For one, doing that would have been giving power to him; saying that he could prevent her from being somewhere just by being there first. For another; see rule 1, regarding defecation in the location one eats (the 'Don't' Theorum).

So she turned back around and shook his hand. She didn't bother putting on a chummy smile or making the expression warm or cozy. Her decision was to tolerate him, and to be open about the fact that it was merely tolerance.

"Kestrel," she replied. "Thief. I think they're trying to dress it up nice, calling me a 'scout captain' or something, but I'm a thief. By any other name."

"A pleasure, Thief Kestrel. It is refreshing to see someone who fully embraces their nature, regardless of what sort of names and designations others try to give them"

He withdrew his hand, his face not registering any sort of response, positive or negative to her visible tolerance, his tone neutral.

"You do not like me, I see. As I told Captain Hawkins, this is a good thing. It means you are paying attention. The legacy left by others of my kind does not lend itself to being well liked by any outside of the wretched, the depraved, and frankly those who I am certain none of us want to associate with. I am, without a doubt, a monster. Created as a maneuver of spite and hate by those who would see the Unconquered Sun and the Celestial Mountain reduced to slag and cinders. I understand, accept, and embrace the fact that this is what I am"

He regarded Dan and nodded briefly.

"Fortunately, and this statement is just as accurate as the last. I am not their monster. I am his."

He nodded an indication at the Captain before looking back at Kestrel.

"Command, the Star Marshals, I am their monster. The Voidswimmer, I am her monster. And should it come down to it, when backs are against the wall, I am your monster."

"One second, Janos, long as you brought up the topic and all our newcomers are here..," interupted the Lunar with a wry smile, "If anyone intentionally hurts this ship, it's crew, and *especially* it's Captain, I will swallow them whole and shit them out the most convient airlock, so any applications for mutiny, sabatoge, or lethal violence should be filed with me first. Failure to do will put you at the top of my to do list."

Despite the jovial tone, her gaze was deadly serious, threat in every single muscle should anyone meet her standard for retribution.

"That out of the way though," she continued much more lightly, "Anyone who stays loyal to the Voidswimmer can duck behind me for cover, no questions asked at the time. Dan tells me that's technically what my Title means, but I don't need a job to take care of my friends. Got that?"

Dan resisted the urge to laugh. This could deteriorate rapidly, but as it stood it looked okay. "There are not, it's a figure of speech."

He looked around at the gathered Exalted "Well, this is refreshing at any rate. It's good to have everyone know where everyone else stands." He nodded.

"Together", is my answer to that one."

"Ooo," laughed Kestrel, wiggling her fingers spookily. "Tension in the ranks. I guess that's what you get when you cram a handful of basically egotistic people with waaaaay too much personal power in a little room. We've all got our own thing going, and now we have to take the rest of us into account."

She plopped into a seat and lolled back, spinning the chair around lazily.

"I had no idea there'd be this many essence-shards on board...but I guess it makes sense, given the mission. It was either this or send a whole fleet...and I guess the Marshals have more 'exalted' than fleets."

"But this'll be fun." Kestrel aimed a disarming grin at Karren. "Like a slumber party. A really big...slumber party. We can run around in our jammies and do each other's hair and nails, and tell dirty stories. While the guys play poker or something and pretend not to hear the giggling from the next room."

"Tension? You want to see tension, try to stand anywhere but 'together' and you'll see tension from me," the looming red-head joked right back with luminescent grin at her Captain and Solar Mate, "This is me setting my one and only ground rule. Follow it, and we'll be the best of friends forever and ever. I've worked with worse people to accomplish less important goals than pulling the teeth of the Lintha, so you'll get no complaints from me. Good natured trouble and a little chaos to make things... interesting when they get dull, but not complaints."

She chuckled, looking away mock philosophically, "Never had a 'slumber party' come to think of it actually. Unless you're counting nights in the local Enforcer's cells once I was old enough to start to start making my own trouble. Not the best of times, but excellent learning experiences."

As the talk continued, the only one on the ship who's beauty was a match for Janos joined them, looking as though she had been carved from crystal, the Vara Engineer spoke up as she entered the room. "Lunars are protective by nature, Karren will ease up once you prove loyal to the ship and the crew, so what was that lovely music I overheard a few moments ago?"

Archived