Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - [2.2] Vacation

Dawn OOC

With Mr. Tanaka firmly in her mind, Rebekka bend over the collar. The controls were not simple; it had several layers of redundancy built into the systems to ensure it would be more likely to explode than not explode. Rebekka focused on the wires and circuits in front of her as intensely as she could. She needed to succeed, and with Mr. Tanaka’s ghost riding in her head, she was sure that if it were possible, she would beat this thing.

Wires were cut and reattached; circuits were pried out and replaced with others. Slowly, Rebekka worked on disarming it, the seconds ticking by with painful rapidness. She knew that each second brought them closer to the moment when DEHA triggered the collar—

It happened too quickly. Rebekka inhaled in horror, waiting for the fires to consume them. Instead, the collar sparked softly and didn’t turn the van into a painful fireball. Rebekka peered more closely at it, laughing in soft relief when she realized that the collar had been damaged by the electrical bomb that had so grievously injured the cat. It was still explosive, but it couldn’t be triggered remotely anymore. And her work had already safely opened the catch. Carefully, she peeled away the dangerous device, cradling the silver collar in gentle hands.

Meanwhile, Mary felt the microchips disappear in the feline as she unmade them.

I rolled for Rebekka:

Carver *rolls* 1d20: 8+17: 25

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Got them!" Mary said in moment of childish glee. She looked around at the others, beaming. "They're all gone. She's free now!"

Something occurred to her then. "You know, if they're checking the radio from those chips, and the collar...they'll see them all disappear at about the same time. It'll look like the collar exploded to them."

There was a complex wave of thoughts... the man she was trying to capture, the fire... the pain...

The pain...

Her eyes weakly opened, she scanned the van she was now in, but she really didn't feel like she was in any condition to do more than know the collar around her throat had vanished.

"Save... the... guy..."

She was in no condition to sit up, or move... everything still was a white haze... "Why?"

The collar was gone... the one symbol of her servitude was gone and she didn't understand how or why... Ten years.

"Why..."

Her ears drooped back as she stared back up at the van ceiling.

note
Carv gave me permission to be groggy. :D I won't be in any condition to do more than that for now. So... hello.

"Quite so," Rebekka said in precise tones, giving Mary a respectful bow of her head, her heart-rate returning to something normal as the collar didn't explode. The transceiver had been damaged by the electrical bomb. "Now to rid ourselves of this device, just in case."

Rebekka wiped down her prints off the collar, then rolled down a window and casually tossed into the roof of a passing truck. She glanced over at the stirring cat-woman and frowned. She tapped Noctis on the shoulder, then gestured for them to switch places. Once more behind the wheel with only a bit of jostling, Rebekka waved a hand over her shoulder.

"Our guest is stirring already, unfortunately," Rebekka commented with a glamorous casualness. "Damien, can do you do something to keep her groggy, while making sure she doesn't bleed out or become infected? I need to find us some place where we can talk without being stumbled upon. Marques, you know Rio better than us, suggestions?"

Rebekka peered into the night, looking for some place that would be suitable in the hilly, Brazilian city.

'Damien' yawned at all the haste and switching, and leisurely and carefully placed his hands on the cat-mutant. "On it." With careful use of his powers, the chemical creator kept in a steady mix of healing drugs and mild sedatives to keep their new rescued feline under control.

"Wha? That's new..."

Idris' worries were subdued as the mutant-generated sedatives entered her bloodstream. Her ears relaxed and her eyes seemed to dialate.

She started to purr... a smile creeping across her face, with her feline fangs being flashed for a moment.

Then again there really wasn't any thought on her mind other than the bliss of being sedated.

Rebekka flicked her eyes to the rearview mirror, noting the cat-woman's reaction to the drugs, then gave Jeremy a nod. She was thankful for the tinted windows. "Excellent. Thank-you, Damien."

Perfect lips curled down in a resigned frown when she glanced at Lamia, seeing her hard eyes, tight mouth, and hand on the door, partially open despite them still moving. She was obviously still insistent on going back for the other one. Rebekka sighed and pulled over, easing in behind another car parked along the road.

"This is foolish, Lexy," she protested calmly. "We managed to save one with no plan and no understanding of the situation - mostly in part to Marques, here - and still have no idea how the feline female will react. Going back for the other is just risking what gains we have already made. Unless... " Rebekka tilted the mirror so she could aim an arched brow at Jaunt, "... you are willing to make another jump? For the good of an unknown and possibly hostile mutant?"

Jaunt tapped his forehead no the back windshield with a constant knocking sound...

Finally he just resigned and shrugged. "Suuuure, why not. It's worth a shot right? I mean hey, we saved one, why not go get the other and hey! If it doesn't work we'd have saved one and lost two. Not bad for a nights work."

"This is nuts," he complained quietly, but loud enough for everyone to hear him. "Okay, here's the deal. My jumps are accurate, lethally accurate. I saw him for a brief moment so that means I can go where ever he might be. Down side... I have no knowledge of where I'm going, only that it's where ever he is. I'll make the jump, and he gets one chance... if I can't nab him, I'm gone and you guys are stuck sending her," He pointed to Lamia. "In there so she can gt killed instead."

He took a deep breath and calmed himself. "Christ, people are never happy with what they get. They always want more, more, more." And like that, he simply disappeared leaving a wavering jump scar in his place.

Since I've no idea where I'm going I leave myself in the hands of the STs mercy... *swallows hard*

"That's... another mutant... on my concience..."

It was hard for Idris to be depressed over things... but that fire elementalist to her might have already been a lost cause, and now another mutant... her rescuer... was possibly another casualty.

The thought started to cross her mind as to why these particular mutants were doing what they were doing, but the drugs the man was putting into her bloodstream keeping her from entering shock and helping with her healing was getting into his groove.

"Fuck..." She says, her eyes closing. This was gonna take a while...

Jaunt reappeared in the heart of a blue cloud. The second he saw that, he knew he was in trouble. The only thing that DEHA used that was this shade of blue was Kytone.
Even as he prepared to jump away, Jaunt took a quick glance around the area. Two people in red hazmat suits were kneeling next to a stretcher. The other mutant, the one he’d come for that was currently at his feet, was bound to the stretcher. The woman he’d been with was on the ground as well, probably dead. Kytone was fatal to humans in doses high enough to affect mutants.
The other mutant on the scene, the one that had been with the cat-girl but hadn’t attacked, was down on the ground, too. Unlike the woman, his head was missing, and his shoulders were a bloody mess. Jaunt knew what that was: he’d seen what was left when an AMP collar exploded. The short that had prevented cat-girl’s collar from exploding hadn’t affected her partner. DEHA often linked collars when mutants were on mission so that when one was activated, the linked ones exploded.
That was all Jaunt had time for as he fled the blue drug...

Jaunt! Make a Fort save vs DC 17. If you pass, feel free to have him jaunt away. If he fails... well, just come see me in chat.

:firedevil:

Oh shit... oh shitshitshitshitshit.... Mentally he chastised himself, he knew right away: this was bad.

The blue fumes filled his lunges and Jaunt staggered and coughed. He staggered towards the stretcher but the drug was already in his lungs, in his system and he was losing it fast. He coughed and choked. His knees grew weak and his body began to stop responding to the simplest of his commands like 'walk', 'move', and 'stay awake'. He collapsed by the stretcher, he raised a hand, grasping at the mutant upon it but he was already fading, fast.

His world grew hazy, the ground looked comfy, very comfy. He fell forward rattling the stretcher and collapse with his head resting on his stretched arm. He was so close, he'd almost made it.

"We got another one!" One of the men a Hazmat suit yelled towards his comrades. "The hell he come from? Isn't this the guy who disappeared? Guys! Hurry up... we might have a problem."

No. Jaunt's inner self scolded him. That little voice in the back of his mind that kept him going when the world said lie down and die. His was pretty loud. Dude, get your shit together man. Not like this, man. We are not going out like this. Get. Your. Ass. Up.

Barely he opened his eyes a crack, just enough to see the red suit. "Awesome... suit... bro..." He choked out. His lungs were on fire. "Love... the... color... got... it... in... purple?"

Something landed on the roof of the SUV and it scared the hell out of everyone in it. Lamia looked out the window and saw Jaunt roll off the roof and slam into the pavement, the remnants of blue gas streamed off of him like hot water on the freezing winter morning. He coughed and spasmed, choking up and expelling the gas from his lungs.

He writhed in pain on the street, oblivious to his surroundings or where his instinctual teleport had taken him. He was lucky enough to be alive. Alone, but alive.

Had I not rolled a '1' on my save and had used a Hero Point to escape with my life, I may have rescued the other guy. However, things being what they were, I couldn't justify Jaunt being both the hero to the mutant guy

and surviving the gas all on a '1', which is the equivalent of a 'botch'. Mission failed, but he's alive at least.

Mary immediately recognized the substance around and within Jaunt, and her skin prickled with sudden fear and guilt. With a slight whoosh the kytone vanished from Jaunt, though his system's reaction to it was not so easily quelled.

"Are you all right?" she asked as she popped out of the van to hunker down near the stricken mutant. "I'm so sorry!"

Jeremy got out and helped Jaunt off the road, pressing a hand in to deliver natural medication. "Let's get back inside and be off now." With an annoyed stare at Lamia, mouth disapproving, "Alright, we've done what we can... forget about it, Alexis." With a grunt of effort, he made to help Jaunt back into their vehicle.

"One for one is hardly a good deal. One for none is a worse one. Be satisfied with what we - by which I mean, Marques here - has accomplished, Alexis," Rebekka said, waiting for Jeremy to settle Jaunt in the back seat, then shifting the SUV in gear and cruising down the road once more, taking several early turns while still making distance to throw off potential pursuit. "We're one up with who we have here, let's count that as a win. And hope we don't end up regretting it."

Rebekka drove east than north out of the Barra, into a less luxurious neighborhood, though it was still far the worse that Rio had to offer. "Marques, honey - you awake?" Rebekka cooed. "You have another bolt hole around here? Otherwise, people, keep a lookout for a motel. Alexis, maybe try to contact home, see if they has a way they want us to proceed and if any of them might have an ID for our feline friend."

• 2 weeks later...

Mary hesitated, but realizing she couldn't help Jaunt more than she had, she went to sit by one of the windows and look out for a place to hole up until the loyalties of their rescuee could be figured out, and the mess resolved.

In her head though, something was congealing. A mutant had been taken because they hadn't been able to stop them. A mutant who would now be locked up, like she'd been...only worse.

She couldn't let that stand. There had to be a way to stop that. Maybe not right away...but soon.

Idris opens her eyes again, looking around.

Seeing Jaunt was back empty handed started to cause her fur to stand on end.

"Neko-chan..."

It wasn't what she wanted to see. Particularly knowing now that the fire-controller was now just another victim of her's.

"Once again you leave a trail of victims and blood... and one of your rescuers almost paid the price, Neko-chan."

"Who the fuck keeps calling me Neko-chan... I'm not bloody Japanese!"

She turns to her left and sees him... the only regret she ever had. He turned to her, half his face was blown away by a sniper's bullet. But that is an... impossibility...

"Akihito... Akihito-san..."

Her eyes start to tear up. "Bollocks... this shit... FUCK, WHO IS IN MY HEAD!" She screamed. Her guilt and regret coming to the fore from the drugs in her bloodstream. All she could see is the one man she wished she could have saved. She moaned, her body in revolt and unable to move both from the cocktail in her bloodstream and the fact she was restrained. "Who are you people?!?"

• 2 weeks later...

Lamia frowned, but she knew the truth of this battle. Hopefully they would have a chance to save the other child later, but that was not to be for now. She strapped herself back in as the car rushed along the road and pulled out the burner phone she'd been given for emergencies. She quickly dialed in the sequence of numbers and David picked up before the first ring had finished. "What's happened?"

"We encountered several others. One that has been free for a time and another that was collared. The collared one was with a team, trying to capture yet another of us. We were not able to save the hunted one, but we have the other two. We have not acquired a safe haven yet. We can try to hide in the city, but we were seen. They may not know that we were responsible for interfering with their mission, but it is likely we will be remembered and described to their superiors. What do you want us to do?"

Her report was crisp and precise, only a bit sharp from her disappointment of not being able to save all of them.

Mary looked around at the mutant who looked kind of like a cat.

"It's okay," she assured her, "We're friends. Other people like you, who're trying to live free. We got rid of the thing they were using to control you, and we're taking you somewhere safe."

• 2 weeks later...

“Come home.” David’s reply was immediate. “You can find a place in Rio later. I’m going to wake up Tyrone; call back when you have an isolated space to open a warp in. And be careful.”

Less than twenty minutes later, they were standing on a remote beach. It was dark; the air was warm and the sea beautiful. A small fire was burning merrily on the sand; for those familiar with outdoorsmenship, it hadn’t been burning long. Two men were waiting for him.

The older of the two, a white man with brown hair approached, waving in greeting. “Glad to see you’re safe,” David said, offering his hand to each of them. It was like a father greeting kids back from college for the first time: proud and relieved.

“Where are we?” Rebekka asked, charmed immediately by the natural beauty around them.

“It’s Costa Rica, Atlantic side. This beach is one of the most isolated in the world.” Tyrone had joined them, his accent marking him as English even with his black heritage.

“Then we should just build a house here,” Rebekka said with a laugh.

“The whole reason for Rio is to get us somewhere civilized.” Noting the new guy off to the side, Tyrone approached Jaunt and offered a hand. “Yo, man. Glad they got you out of there.”

David had moved to the cat’s side. “Will she be all right?” he asked the group.

Lamia shrugged, looking the cat-aspected woman over. She motioned David to step a little ways away with her. "She seems mostly physically fine, although she was shouting about someone being in her head. Is it possible a thought-master is using her to see and hear us? Or at least communicate with her? That would complicate matters."

As cold as her words could have been, mostly she just sounded tired. The city had been noisy and smelled foul, and while the party had smelled better it had been even noisier and exhausting; running into DEHA minions and failing to rescue the fire summoner had drained her down to the bone. "We haven't told her anything yet, nor does Jaunt," she motioned to the stranger Tyrone had approached, "know much, though he has inferred much, I think."

David nodded, his expression thoughtful. "Are you okay?" he asked softly.

"I..." she started, then stopped and rubbed her face. She took a breath and tried again, "It has been a long time since I have been around so many people at once. It was nice, but also...much. More stressful than I thought it would be. And," her expression became hard, her lips thinned in checked anger, "I do not like to lose in battle, much less to not even help and to flee. I understand why," she continued before David could say something to placate her, "but I do not like it and anger makes me tired as well."
She looked up at him, trying to smile, "It would be nice, once we sort out these two new children, if there was something relaxing to do. When I was captive, I could take baths. I'm not sure what to do now. I do not have a bathtub." The last was said lightly and David realized she meant it as humor, subtle but she did actually have a sense of humor.
"We'll have Matt make you one. You'll have to fill it yourself, unless he can figure out some clever thing to do with it. All the other tubs are below ground." He paused and looked at the ocean. "You could swim in the lake at home."
She gave the ocean a thoughtful look and nodded. "Would you swim with me?" she asked. "The party was too many people, but I do not care much for being completely alone." She smiled at him, "Besides, it is best to swim with a partner in new waters."

David smiled, pleased. "I will. It'd be good to remember why I do this, instead of working so hard..."

She chuckled and patted him on the shoulder, "Afterwards, you should share with me, this workload. I may not have the grand gifts of my children, but I've run a war or two in my days. Empires and small, struggling villages, too. I think I would be more help there than fending off intoxicated humans while looking for derelict property to steal. Rebekka seems to enjoy such, and is quite adept at it."

David nodded thoughtfully. "I'll do that," he assured her. "I have been... well, never mind that now. I'll fill you--all of you--later. First, let's get everyone tended to."

She nodded and the two moved back to the cat-woman and the others.

Jaunt's head was still swimming from the toxins but managed a half smile and shook the man's head. "Yeah, hail the conquering heroes." He realized he was being snarky and quickly followed up. "I'm sorry, man... just, long night, y'know?"

"Understandable, man." He gripped Jaunt shoulder with his free hand and gave him a welcoming nod. "Try and relax a bit, get some rest. You're among friends."

"Cool, thanks." He took a moment to walk around but his head was still feeling like a bunny had latched onto each side of his head and was humping his ears furriously (get it?). He vaguely remembered Mary, her face seemed familiar when she removed the gasses around him but he had fallen unconscious shortly after. She was cute, he noted. Then he noticed cat girl and immediately looked at Rebekka. "What the hell?! See!?! This is why I don't blind teleport, or jump when I'm drunk or high..." He wobbled a little bit, the gas plus the amount of alcohol in his system plus god only knows what else before they met him at the party was making it hard for their new friend to remain upright. "Just so everyone knows... I'm not responsible for that," He gestured to the cat girl. "You wanted it, you clean up after it. S'all I'm sayin'..."

"That's why we're here," Mary agreed. She looked at David. "But there's still people in the city too. Our people I mean. And we haven't found a house yet. Are we going back?"

Her voice had a pleading tinge at the end. She really didn't want this to end this way.

Akihito was still near her, looking at her closer.

"Sooner or later, you will have to tell them your sins, my little kitten..."

"His face... it's half gone... how do you guys know about him..."

Idris could hear what the others were saying, but only some things could be processed in her state. The the image slowly faded and Idris started to curl up. "I couldn't save him... so many mutants... I can't take it... anymore..."

"Am I being punished before I'm killed?"

"Hey guys..." Jaunt waved his hands about to get everyone's attention. He pointed at the cat person. "The uh, cat, is mumbling crazy things. It's cool you guys have this whole soiree thing going on the beach, but uh... you might wanna tend to the uhh... crazy ass wild life you put me through hell to recover for you. I'd appreciate it. Mostly, cuz... uh... it's wiggin' me out."

Idris' Ears drooped back...

"I'm sorry..." She starts to sit up. "...Whatever your... medic did it was... a bit..."

Idris shakes the cobwebs out of her head. Still seeing a little of that man... "Maybe it was a flashback, I don't fuckin' know. All I know is I'm comin' down from it and..." She sniffs and can finally smell some of her burned fur. "...Son of a... I think I need a bath."

"And no, I don't lick myself. Get that out of your heads."

Idris was putting up a front. The way her ears and tail were she was more like an indignant housecat trying not to admit to the fact she was guilty... very guilty... about something.

"It's okay," Mary assured the strangely deformed mutant. "You're going to be fine. I took away the kytone and your tracking thing."

Inexorably she reached out to pet Idris between the ears atop her head. It wasn't something she thought about...it just had to be done.

"Who's the other one that was with you? The one who made little flaming people?"

Idris' ears flicked back with her mood. "You know, did your mother ever teach you not to pet strays?"

She grinned, showing her fangs, but then her mood shifted again, remembering someone got caught because she as saved. "Fuck..."

"That guy was my target. I was told practically nothing about the guy, had no support from my partner, and I didn't even have my usual kit with me. Hell not my usual SOP... not at all."

She slowly brings her legs in. "Almost like the whole thing was a setup..."

She bent her head back a little, still being scratched. "Not that it matters anymore, I'm not locked behind a damn plexiglass case." She said with a sigh. Then she widened an eye looking over towards David. "Oi, to who do I owe the honor?"

"Not a set-up, merely coincidence, my nameless feline," Rebekka countered in silken, accented tones. Perfect lips curved in a faint smile - if she was discomfited by the sight of the cat-woman, the imp"Whether it was fortunate or unfortunate, well, that depends on who you ask... And maybe is even decided yet."

Stepping to safety through Tyrone's warp, Rebekka had basked in the unspoiled splendor of the Costa Rican beach, letting the others have their time to adjust, adapt, and express themselves. Jaunt amused her and the seductress wondered what she would find if she slept with him. "She's just coming off her high, Jaunt. You know how it is." Her riveting turquoise eyes turned on Idris., her voice compelling. "As for you, you have a chance, a rare chance, to change your life and your place in the world thanks to this man."

She idly pondered what Idris' fur would feel like in bed, or right here on the sand - her omnipresent desire was pretty much omni-directional as well and Idris wouldn't have been her first furry, or most extreme, but shook her head, dispelling the thought. She still had other things in mind, despite the unexpected turn the evening took.

"I have every intention of going back," Rebekka said to Mary, and the rest. "Though perhaps the mysterious feline could shed some light on why she was in Rio, in case there is some reason, more reason, for us to worry if our actions have been noticed."

She sighed. "My name is Idris... Idris Vaughan."

She hesitated for a moment... she was trained not to reveal anything. To die without divulgence. Now... she might be dead either way...

"Fuck... not that it matters anymore if I say this... I'm one of MI-7's... former... pets... attack bitch really. When they wanted someone deaded, guess who gets to leave the murder presents in the morning."

She points to herself. "This kitty."

"Thing is, what they did they made me real good at it." She popped her claws on her right hand, whatever light in the area glinting off of her diamond hard impliments of pain and suffering. "Lots of wetwork, lots of blood on my hands. And not just with these honeys. I got good at it with everything. I guess they noticed I was starting to develop a fucking concience or something after my last mission so they had a shrink talk to me to see where the hell my kitten brain was at. Then they sent me on this mission."

"It was simple... supposedly. Nab the walking matchstick and get him in the van then get the hell out with the prize. Seems mistakes were made... either that or I was being set up to take a fall."

"There was this one creepy fucker with me... Slugger... he could cause you to hear the sound of the ocean in your head... all the time. Bugged the shite out of me."

Her english accent was apparent. She was a street-tough. Born and raised.

She looked over Rebekka. Quirking an eyebrow. "You know, anyone ever told you you're a fine piece of ass, sweets?"

“My name is David. DEHA called me Sol.” The brown-haired man with the hint of Australian accent spoke with the assurance that his name was known. Idris just happened to have not heard of the fire-wielding mutant before; she’d been kept in the dark except when going on missions. If Idris’s lack of familiarity was an issue for David, he didn’t show it. “I was the U.S.’s heavy hitter until my escape.”

His gray eyes assessed the two new mutants. “Jaunt, is it? I’m glad to see you’re still free. Your official DEHA file is full of frustration, and it’s great to meet the man who can cause those bastards so much pain. And Idris, I’m familiar too with your file.”

“Wait, you have files on us?” Jaunt asked, immediately on guard.

“I have copies of DEHA’s files on you.” David smiled grimly. My next statement is for both of you. I don’t care about what they made you. All I want to know is who do you want to be now and do you want to be it with us?”

“My name is David. DEHA called me Sol.” The brown-haired man with the hint of Australian accent spoke with the assurance that his name was known. Idris just happened to have not heard of the fire-wielding mutant before; she’d been kept in the dark except when going on missions. If Idris’s lack of familiarity was an issue for David, he didn’t show it. “I was the U.S.’s heavy hitter until my escape.”

“I have copies of DEHA’s files on you.” David smiled grimly. My next statement is for both of you. I don’t care about what they made you. All I want to know is who do you want to be now and do you want to be it with us?”

"Well..." Idris sniffed, smelling the acrid smell of burned polyester and other material on her suit. "...other than fed and some new clothes... I really don't know."

"I've been locked in a sodding cage for a long time, boyo. 10 years or so... stopped keepin' track. Right now outside of my instinct to run, I really don't have a place to run to..."

She grinned. "Fuckin' hell, feels like school... how am I supposed to know what to do with my life when I couldn't plan past the end of my current mission."

"But... I owe you guys. You boke my chains. You could have killed me right there but ya didn't. Seems you guys are more than some freedom fighters. Tell you what, David... I'll help you wherever I can. If you need something stolen, drove, or killed... I'm your cat."

She stretched out. "They called me Rip back at the dungeon as I called it. Probably for my favorite dispatching method or how I liked to indimidate the guards around my cell. You'd be suprised what tearing newspaper does to the human psyche. Odd as I'm one hell of a crack shot too."

"As for vehicle stuff... well, they didn't want me useless in the field." She pointed to her neck. "If it could be sailed, drove, or flown, they made sure I could use it. They knew I couldn't get far before I was cooked alive."

"As for stealin', how you think I kept fed in the back alleys?"

She smiled.

"Damn, you're hot too... shit most of you guys are damn supermodels. You sure I didn't step into some sort of Abercrombie and Fitch photoshoot? Fuck those assholes if you are. If not... still fuck 'em."

Jeremy just needed a moment to watch, and quietly reflect on all this. Sometimes, went things went sour, they had to slow down. And think of ways to settle next time and exact creative revenge on the DEHA as perfectly appropriate. But taking it slow helped to rejuvenate the mind.

He hated it. With that gas still partially in his system he couldn't jaunt and being stuck in that state was irritating him, making him edgy. He wanted to move. He paced, like actually paced and couldn't help wondering why people do it. Damn is it slow and boring. Finally he stopped chewing on his thumbnail and turned to look at them.

"Look, I don't work well in a group. I'm the loner type." He folded his arms and sighed. David didn't look pleased, but his expression barely crossed into the realm of disappointed. He'd read Jaunt's file after all and knew what to expect from the kid. Then Jaunt continued and his head looked upward a bit, a twinkle of hope in his expression. "You guys did look out for the little guy though, and that goes a long way with me, despite me still being high as hell at moment." At least the kid got points for honestly. "Trial run. I offer you no promises, I'm not signing any two-year deals for unlimited data rates or any crap like that. Making me an offer is one thing... showing me what you have to offer is another, entirely."

He shrugged and offered a nonchalant smirk. "So, y'got me for a bit at least. Use me and abuse me." He pointed to Lamia and smirked, winking like an idiot. "She gets me twice on Saturdays though, it's that mocha skin... drives a guy wild."

"You know, anyone ever told you you're a fine piece of ass, sweets?"

Rebekka gave a delicate snort. The lists of Fortune 500 CEOs and richest people in the world were littered with her conquests; she'd lain with kings, princes, and movie stars, and some of the most innovative scientists, researchers, and academics of several generations. Some of the most acclaimed South African models of the last fifty years had actually been her in disguise, on behalf of her handlers in the DRM. She'd been this close to replacing Marilyn Monroe, which would have given her intimate contact with JFK, except the bitch had the temerity of offing herself before she could.

Fine piece of ass? She was the finest there was!

"It has been mentioned once or twice," Rebekka murmured with dry understatement. Listening to Rip's recounting of her skills, Rebekka gave serious thought to taking the Cat-woman to her bed. She hadn't had nearly as many women as men, and the thought of what those claws could do to her immaculate flesh was very arousing. An impish grin on her perfect lips, she reached out and scritched Rip under the chin, her simple touch surprisingly titillating and enticing. "Maybe someday, you'll find out for yourself, kitten."

Jaunt gave his counter-proposal to David's offer and Rebekka chuckled in delight. "So, it's darker meat you're craving, hmm? That can me arranged..." Rebekka mused.

Lamia tensed a bit as Rebekka placed a hand on her shoulder as she stepped around her. The shapeshifting seductress' skin tone darkened, her facial features rearranging, blond hair turning midnight black and tying itself in a long, thick, French braid. Her dress became a gauzy white that revealed the outline of her sleek figure. A minute later, Rebekka looked like Lamia's sexier, slightly younger twin, her ravishing green eyes twinkling. Her voice changed, deeper, emulating Lamia's archaic cadence.

"But how about instead of having the old girl twice on Saturdays, you give her a rest and have two of her instead?"

Her tempting grin was as sweet and sinful as the most decadent chocolate. Who knows, maybe I'll nab two birds with one stone, and get a cat in the bag to boot...

Idris grinned, there was actually a purr.

"Well..." She said, stretching out with her arms behind her head as she finally got her feet. "...I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with you lot."

One of her ears drooped slightly, adding to her sly facial expression. "So... When do I start gettin' my payback, boss?" She said to David. "Oi... Mr. Teleport guy... I was wiggin' out on whatever meds Doctor Feelgood over here had me on..." gesturing over to Jeremy "...I didn't catch a name. In fact, I'd like the names of the two guys I owe."

She looked over to Jeremy. "Yeah... gratitude from me... losin' my killer swagger already."

David’s smile was gone as he watched Rebekka moved in on Lamia and Idris and Jaunt. “Rebekka, just remember to tell them about your particular talent at reading minds during sex.” David’s smile came back, but it was shark-edged. “Don’t emulate the other members of the group unless they ask you to do so. Some people find that offensive. And last, and I’m sure you’re one of the few mutants I’ll have to tell this to, don’t proposition mutants unless you know they welcome your advances. Not all of us enjoyed the sex forced upon us by our captors.”

His piece said, David turned to Jaunt with only a hint of the tension from speaking to Rebekka left in his face. “You’re welcome to come with us, then. We’ll see if you’re a good fit for us, too. I know from your record that you’ve been running from DEHA for years, and I hope that you’ll find a home with us, or at least some allies you can trust.

“Idris, same to you. You’re welcome to stay with us, but if you do and decide to leave later, I need to ask you to keep our locations secret.” David had calmed more as he spoke and his smile for Idris was genuine.

Jeremy was about to respond to Idris when he observed Rebekka making her moves - with a tiny hint of jealousy yes, to be honest - and then a mixed up line of his mouth as David revealed that surprising peace of information. "That does explain a bit about the codename, actually. For the life of me, I can't decide if that's creepy, kinky or both."

As for the curious cat, "I'm Jeremy. Wasn't the meds per say though." He grinned. "If you want a real trip, though, just say the magic word."

"I'm Mary," said the brunette. She was younger than the other two girls, though Rebekkah now looked of a similar eighteen-to-twenty bracket. Pretty enough to turn heads, but nowhere near Rebekka's league. "I'm still pretty new to all this too."

She grinned, and there wasn't a hint of sarcasm or subtext to it...she was just happy.

"But I really like what we're doing. Someday soon, we'll be able to help a lot more mutants the way we did for you, Rip." Mary paused at that, then added, "Do you want us to keep calling you Rip? You said it's what they called you...but you don't have to go by that anymore if you don't want."

Jaunt gave his counter-proposal to David's offer and Rebekka chuckled in delight. "So, it's darker meat you're craving, hmm? That can me arranged..." Rebekka mused.

"But how about instead of having the old girl twice on Saturdays, you give her a rest and have two of her instead?"

"Uhh..." Jaunt laughed slightly. It was that 'wow, WTF' kinda laugh. "Sugar Tits, you just offered offered to have sex with a cat. I'm stoned, but seriously, I'm not that fucked up. Don't get me wrong, you got the body of a Ferrari, honey. But when I go for that kinda performance, I prefer mine to have a lot less mileage than what you have. A lot less. Ever think about turning i down a notch sister? I mean really... there's a difference between seductive and just plain trashy. I was making a joke... see, it was funny because your matriarch there is prolly the least likely to sleep with a guy like me, at least, not without eating my head afterwards."

He chilled a bit. He knew he was going to regret saying that tomorrow, but hell, he could blame the high. "So... the Justice League is all like... assembled n' shit... what now?"

Archived