Hellbore Combat OOC

The Story Guide

This was to get post order for the first round of combat.

Kaitlin

Braves

Samuel

Black Stick

William

Talis

You guys can see the Apache braves milling around outside, though there don't seem to be many of them. They're picking off survivors - mostly just common folk trying to escape the burning wreckage of the train.

Kaitlin - an Indian-looking woman has approached you in the car you're in, and you can see one of the braves outside still on horseback. There's noise from behind where the Indian woman came from, but I'll need a notice check for any more information than that (which will take up a standard action as Kailtlin looks around the Indian woman to see what's going on). PCs can take a movement action and a standard action.

2 questions, since I couldn't get you in chat.

1) are we to post in initiative order only? or do we post freely and let you move actions around to suit initiative draws?

2) since the system is set up to draw new init cards at the start of each round should we just draw a new init card at the time we make our posts to help move things along, or wait for some signal from you? Or do you have another idea?

• 2 weeks later...

A Legend Chip was used to make Brave #4 reroll their Shooting roll, resulting in no damage to William. Jim, if you could unhide your post, please, William is good to go again.

A note on Legend Chips:

I realized that I hadn't really addressed this before, as Legend Chips are given to the group in a very explicit way and pretty much left to 'if you feel like it' to the GM for individuals. In general, I will award Legend Chips for extra spectacular roleplaying, player cleverness, and when weird things crop up in mechanics because I think its shiny (so, had Jim made the constant Acing rolls, he still would have gotten a Legend Chip from me).

Their use is also a bit ambiguous, imo. They can be used like blue Fate Chips, along with a +2 added at the end of the roll, which is straitforward, but it also says they can be used to reroll ANY roll. As this is open to interpretation, and I did like the Dramatic Editing from Adventure, I'm going to rule that Legend Chips can be used to force anyone, friend or foe, to reroll a roll on or after the round/scene that the LC is awarded in. LC's can also be turned in at the end of a story for an automatic experience point (as opposed to the chance) for an extra xp).

I think this makes the game more dramatic and our intrepid heroes more likely to survive me being the ST. :o

Also remember, Fate Chips are use 'em or lose 'em affairs in Savage Worlds/Deadlands. I know Hero Points are supposed to be the same way in M&M, but that gets fudged a lot here on the boards. The Fate Chips won't. At the end of each adventure, the chips go in the pot and we do draws to see if anyone gets extra xp, and then we do new draws at the start of the next adventure.

Archived