Mutants & Masterminds: A House Divided - In the Garden

z013

Since the move, many of the older children had started spending their time in the Garden again - those that hadn't left for the war or out to explore the greater galaxy. The little ones loved it; climbing over their older siblings that were like movable trees when they weren't clustered around Bounty or Mal. For Julian, it was a little odd. Before the move, the Garden and the Works so many levels below where the Watchmaker made his home had both been a sort of refuge from his peers, especially before he'd discovered his knack for biotech.

Today was no different than the past few weeks, with the older children in age-clumps around the Garden either entertaining the little ones or each other, or talking about anything and everything that came to mind, learning and teaching each other in the impromptu educational system that they had all grown up with. Julian was alone for the moment, recovering from a run-in with a rambunctious group of toddlers that didn't quit understand yet how easily this particular sibling could be. Vivere was quiet in his mind, focused on repairing the damage to his skin and the bruised tibia in his left leg, while Noxa muttered about how they should have singed a few little butts to send the impish children on their way.

They meant no harm. They were just excited.

They nearly broke your leg with their 'excitement'!

But they didn't.

Noxa seethed and Amica stepped in with a diplomatic, You should have said something, Julian. How will learn to control themselves if they don't even know the consequences of their actions? You're lucky Bounty came by when she did, or Noxa might have had to step in just to keep you from a friendly mauling.

He sighed. I'll mention it to Bounty.

His creations made murmurs of acceptance, with a flash of emotion from Noxa that clearly stated 'you better'.

How about a game of chess or go? Loqui piped up for the first time, stepping into the breach before the excitable Noxa could be set off again.

Julian pulled out a gift from the Watchmaker, a small metal cube that projected a list of games into the air after Julian tapped the sides in the correct sequence for "game mode". He chose the four dimensional chess game and set it at three players after Vivere and Noxa both bowed out. The light from the game winked out over the low plains of this part of the Garden, flickering as the three players using one set of hands to take their turns.

OOC Info
Terat players, here's your social intro fic! Sorry it took me so long to get it put up. This doesn't have the same focus as Poker Night (there's no defined activity), but the Garden has become the social hub for the Nursery since the move, as it's the only place on the station that has a 'natural' view and simulated sky.

Feel free to post once your character is approved for play, and Julian's up for company. :)

Roxanne walked lost in thoughts through the Garden not quiet sure why she had felt the urge to take a break from her training. Lately she wasn’t feeling ‘well’ – it wasn’t anything physical, she just had an odd feeling and she couldn’t really put a finger on it.

Additionally the presence of her father made her uncomfortable sometimes. He was like a bright light in the darkness and she felt like a moth drawn towards that light. She was far too proud to show that kind of behavior, though and considered it inappropriate.

Fortunately the Garden had a positive side effect on her. It made her feel at peace – something she usually only achieved during her Kata’s. She was still in her combat outfit as she strode through a small clearing stopping in the middle of it as she looked up to the artificial sun which shone warmly over the entire area.

It took the better half of a quarter hour for her to snap out of that daydream and move on until she reached a slight slope followed by some rolling hills where her younger siblings were gathered around the Elders. She slowly approached the gathering but still staying out of the center watching the kids playing and asking questions about everything that came to their inquisitive minds.

Her eyes wandered around until she found Julian who was sitting close to the center but yet secluded, as usual. She smiled briefly and slowly circled around the gathering until she would be in his sight if he looked up from whatever he was doing. Sometimes she wondered why she felt attracted to him… probably she would never really know and right now she didn’t need that answered. He made her feel good – that was all she needed right now. Roxanne kept watching him and smiled playing subconsciously with her hair, tussling it around a little as she waited and watched.

Amica gently tugged Julian's attention away from the game and to where Roxanne was keeping a quiet watch on him. He smiled as he caught her twirling her hair, so soft an act for one of the Nursery's more martially inclined daughters.

Oh, Loqui grumped, her.

Yes, her, Julian replied as he waved her over.

Are you two going to engage in sex now? I was enjoying the game, the 'male' symbiote whined.

You hate anything that's not a book or a puzzle, Noxa shot back. I like her. She's got guts. And swords.

"Roxanne," Julian greeted her, ignoring the spat brewing between Loqui and Noxa along his neural pathways. "Care to join me? I can start a new game, if you're up chess or...well, pretty much anything else." His heart was beating fast, feeling like it was trying to escape his chest, and Vivere was too preoccupied with his leg to make it slow down.

You need to learn how you feel about her, anyways, came her gentle tones over the abuses Loqui and Noxa were hurling at each other now. This is part of it.

I like her. I know that already. Why does it have get more complicated?

Because there's more to life than just 'like'. You two have been dancing around this for weeks. You should talk.

Roxanne could see Julian flush, even though she hadn't actually said anything yet. We usually have other things to do than talk.

Loqui snorted, Sex. Fine exercise I suppose, but you two do it far longer than you need to.

The flush turned cherry-red, a sure sign to Roxanne that his 'companions' were making comments on something.

Even though she was doing everything to catch his attention Roxanne was still surprised when he actually invited her to join in. She looked down for a moment and took a few hesitant steps towards him before she closed the distance with more determination.

"Sure"sure, her voice echoed telepathically, something she did whenever she was nervous or excited. She didn't care much about the games he wanted to play. It wasn't really her thing but she didn't want to disappoint him and smiled shyly as she watched him setting things up.

It was only now that she caught his cherry-red flush which made her laugh spontaneously which wasn't meant to desparage him. "I'm so sorry."I'msosorry, she followed up hoping to salvage any damage she might have done while reaching out with one hand to touch his'.

There was a short moment of silence and she looked right into his eyes which fascinated her from the very first day she saw him. Her own eyes sparkled faintly with a purple glow - an after effect of her powers. She wasn't really aware of it, but she was broadcasting everything she said telepathically.

The tension between them reached its climax and suddenly he let go which made her retract her hand even faster. The awkwardness was unbearable and Roxanne quickly came up with a distraction, "Would you explain me the rules again? I keep forgetting them."Wouldyouexplainmetherulesagain?Ikeepforgettingthem.

Roxanne closed her eyes and wished Julian would finally say something to end this... uncertainty. Was he dodging it intentionally? Maybe he didn't like her that much after all and she was annoying him? The young woman looked to the side wiping a loose strand of her blue dark blue hair behind her ear. Why am I acting so stupid?WhyamIactingsostupid?

She could have yelled the last part but she was oblivious to it since she didn't look at him when she shared that last thought unintentionally.

• 2 weeks later...

He gently tugged her down to the ground and leaned forward to kiss her, distracting her thoughts to try to give her a chance to get her power under control - at least that's what he told himself why he was doing it. The symbiotes had their own opinions, but Amica was running herd on them to keep their peace about at this exact moment. He pulled away after a moment and offered, "We could play one of the dueling games instead." He meant the games where they each controlled a fighter and used their hands to guide their avatars in the fight.

He shrugged and smiled at her, still running his fingers over her hand, "Or we could do something you like to do, like actual sparring. Though," he winced slightly as Vivere reminded him of his injured leg with a jab to the connected nerves, "you'll have to go easy on me. Leskhe decided I was a tree and accidentally kicked me in the shin pretty hard climbing up my side."

Leskhe was five years old and strong enough to uproot most of the trees in the Nursery, a fact that had gotten him into trouble with Bounty a few times already. He was generally good-natured and lovable, but he hadn't learned to reign his strength in yet most of the time. Most of the young children loved playing with Julian, as he spent more time than almost any other of the grown children in the Garden and often had a new game or creation for the little ones to play with when he visited.

Or you two could talk, Amica insisted again.

Julian ignored her for the moment, still gently rubbing Roxanne's hand and smiling at her, waiting for her decision or another suggestion from her.

While Julian and Roxanne ‘played games’ – which might or might not be a euphemism, he was never clear on that – Argent had slipped into the garden.

She entered not one legs, but as a mobile pool of silver liquid that flowed through the grass and around the flowers. Being solid bothered her today. It felt limiting, almost silly. So she had refused to assume solid form, even when someone talked to her. They thought they were being snubbed and went away irritated.

Argent felt that there might be a solution, but she needed to practice it. If she moved her liquid parts in a particular way she could form letters in the gap left behind, even whole words. If she expanded her diameter far enough she could form sentences. After that it would come down to practice, to getting her ‘writing’ more and more precise, and her self-control more accurate.

That would be for tomorrow. Right now she had a different idea in mind.

The Argent-pool reached the bole of a tree overlooking her brother’s ‘games’ and flowed up the trunk. In the lower branches that pool extended silvery filaments that hooked into the trees leaves and bark in hundreds of places.

Argent concentrated on this. She’d been practicing fine control for some time. But this was intricate. She built semi-solid structure out of herself, adding layer upon layer until she formed herself into an impression of a silver spider-web.

Nobody noticed, though. That annoyed her. Everybody was busy with something or other.

It did not take long before the ‘web’ erupted out of the tree in a rapidly expanding silver ball that resolved into a tall, slender feminine shape, shining in the garden lights. She strode towards Julian and as she neared her form filled out, gaining curves, bosom, and defined features before assuming flesh tones and clothes.

She stood over her brother with her hands on her hips, frowning. “You’re trying to have sex again. It’s boring.”

He gently tugged her down to the ground and leaned forward to kiss her, distracting her thoughts to try to give her a chance to get her power under control - at least that's what he told himself why he was doing it. The symbiotes had their own opinions, but Amica was running herd on them to keep their peace about at this exact moment.

The kiss took her by surprise and her instincts ordered her to rebell but at the same time a warm feeling spread over her body and swept away everything. She was... vulnerable. Allowed herself to be vulnerable and it felt good to trust him. Her hand had barely touched his cheek when he suddenly pulled away.

He pulled away after a moment and offered, "We could play one of the dueling games instead." He meant the games where they each controlled a fighter and used their hands to guide their avatars in the fight.

He shrugged and smiled at her, still running his fingers over her hand, "Or we could do something you like to do, like actual sparring. Though," he winced slightly as Vivere reminded him of his injured leg with a jab to the connected nerves, "you'll have to go easy on me. Leskhe decided I was a tree and accidentally kicked me in the shin pretty hard climbing up my side."

Roxanne still felt a bit numbed by the kiss and licked her lips as she watched Julian’s mouth phrase words she barely registered. She nodded at him giving him one of her most beautiful smiles and let herself be guided by him not noticing what he was actually proposing.

Leskhe was five years old and strong enough to uproot most of the trees in the Nursery, a fact that had gotten him into trouble with Bounty a few times already. He was generally good-natured and lovable, but he hadn't learned to reign his strength in yet most of the time. Most of the young children loved playing with Julian, as he spent more time than almost any other of the grown children in the Garden and often had a new game or creation for the little ones to play with when he visited.

Or you two could talk, Amica insisted again.

Julian ignored her for the moment, still gently rubbing Roxanne's hand and smiling at her, waiting for her decision or another suggestion from her.

Suddenly time caught up with her and she felt the heaviness of gravity pulling her down making her gasp for air for a moment while her cheeks flushed red with embarressment.

Her hand was still gently holding his’ when she answered with a still dreamy voice. “I don’t feel much like... playing games, Julian. I’d rather...”

That’s when Argent suddenly interrupted.

It did not take long before the ‘web’ erupted out of the tree in a rapidly expanding silver ball that resolved into a tall, slender feminine shape, shining in the garden lights. She strode towards Julian and as she neared her form filled out, gaining curves, bosom, and defined features before assuming flesh tones and clothes.

She stood over her brother with her hands on her hips, frowning. “You’re trying to have sex again. It’s boring.”

Roxanne just glared at the other female balling her free hand to a fist from which a purple luminiscent blade slowly extended.

Archived