Mutants & Masterminds - [Review] Power Profiles #27: Animal Powers

GRR9327e_200.jpg

Power Profiles #27: Animal Powers

Vitals: Published By Green Ronin • 6 pages • $0.99 • full color PDF

Descriptors, Countering & Features

Four descriptors discuss both the source of one's powers, as well as the scope of one's powers. Countering is quickly discussed, and then four Features are given. I rather like the Animal Harmony feature, as it really fills a gap that is absent within the rules.

Offensive Powers

Eight powers, ranging from various damaging effects to afflictions and even enhanced skills. Nothing here truly stood out as particularly innovative, but the effects are true to the theme, and many suggest animal types that would have these kinds of powers naturally. I was asked my opinion on the Ferocious Charge power which is a maneuver limited damage effect. I can see where some might think it over powered, but I think one could build essentially the same effect with the Side-Effect flaw (which is really all the maneuver is). It's thematically appropriate, and I doubt it will see the game broken any more than other close/melee damage effects.

Defensive Powers

Three powers don't leave a lot of room for innovation. Protection gets its due here as leathery hides, tough scales, or even chitin. Squeeze Through is really more of a moment power, but it is perhaps notable here as something I myself would not have thought of immediately.

Movement Powers

There are only three powers here, however the introductory paragraph for the section also suggests four other effects. In a way I found this better, because do we really need an entire power write up for applying ranks of Swimming for an aquatic animal theme? Wing is notable because it mentions that the character may be able to grow and shed the wings at will, needing them only while flying, While I never considered that as an aspect of the power without an Activation flaw it does make sense mechanically.

Utility Powers

Nine powers covering ten effects. There's a lot of tried a true powers here like Summoning, Communication, and the bevvy of animal sensory effects. There's also some less common effects, like the ability to combine creatures into one under your control (Pegasus anyone?). The Animal Form power is thankfully not presented as a variable (though that option is given depending on your character's scope), but instead based on Morph and Metamorph. I wish more space had been spent on this effect as it would have been nice to see advice on how to build the Metamorph forms but I am glad to see that the effect is showcased as a way to showcase Alternate forms that are truly alternate and not just additive.

The Variable effect option for Animal senses is also worth noting here, though not for positive reasons. The effect is built as a limited Variable, which is nothing new, but the descriptor for the effect, physical traits, seems far too broad; the first limit, animal traits, seems as though it ought to be the effect's descriptor instead. The difference is one on only a single point per rank, but Variable effects are already often very powerful for their cost. Personally, I would not allow the effect as built, instead changing the first limit to the main descriptor.

Animal Complications

Seven complications are given time here, with Disability being of note for pointing out the downsides to animal forms and companions. Involuntary Transformation is also a nice mention as it applies to many were-beast types.

Closing Thoughts

Animal Powers goes a long way in providing strong thematically aligned powers. As usual for these Power Profiles those new to Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition will find it helpful, and those new to superhero gaming may find it indispensable, but for veteran players the majority of the effects within are standard built. This is as much a compliment to the system as a weakness of this product, but in the end most experienced M&M players and superhero gamers will find little to make this product stand out.

Rating: 70% - Though solidly written the lack of innovative effect builds or rules expansion limits the usefulness of this Profile for more experienced players.

Archived