One Shot Game - Earthdawn

Stargaizer

The thread that Chosen made a while back about the possibility of one shot games somewhat intrigued me, so I thought I would throw out some questions.

I'm assuming that a one shot is more than just a single big battle (not just the epic battle at the end of The Avengers), but how big can it be and still be a one shot? How short can it be and still be interesting enough to play? Questioning this because with the quality of players that we have here, even a single pre-made campaign or 'chapter' can get prety involved and take a while.

I have at least one idea for an ED one shot, but I'm curious as to what others here think about the above question and about what they'd be interested in.

For my part, I look at one-shots the same way I do every other game, so I consider the pitch and if I think I will enjoy it. The format being shorter is in no way a negative for me.

As for Earthdawn, I just don't know the system or setting so I'd probably not sign up.

Ok, so I will formally post my idea for a one shot to (hopefully) gather interest.

Earthdawn (1st ed.)

4 Players

Legendary Status 4 (650,000 LP's)

Combat focused, little to no political/social intrigue. Players should be able to overcome high physical/spell defense & physical/mystic armor.

Basically, a great and powerful, ancient evil has finally stirred. The end game has started. Either the group of PC's (with some help) foil his plans and save the world, or everything gets destroyed.

Characters would have legends and equipment on par with heroes that are known by almost everyone across Barsaive.

Any interest?

Joani, glad to see you on board. I know that char creation will take some time, so will gathering people and getting everything in place to start. So no worries there.

There are a couple of reasons for the large number of starting xp, SalmonMax.

1, when you see the "great and powerful, ancient evil" that you're going up against, you'll probably wish that you had a few more circles.

2, I made a circle 10 warrior and he came close to this total, and I wanted to give some wiggle room for thread items, karma, cross classing, etc.

3, The starting and premise of this one shot necessitates well known heroes, legendary status 4 does that without necessitating 2+ million lp.

4, I'd really like to be in/see a high powered ED game (the ones that I've been in have all started at the beginning and fizzled before they got out of the core book).

So, that being said, feel like taking a world-renowned Windling out for a spin?

• 2 weeks later...

Hragh. May have to rethink my involvement in this. EDCG is of aid in character generation, but it's still a dizzying, confused mess...and I haven't even STARTED doing items yet. Worse still, EDCG doesn't do items. I mean, it has them, but not anything appropriate to this level.

And I have Mass Effect coming up. I'd intended to start recruiting by now, and I'm behind.

While I'm still interested I fear this won't really lift off - as a one shot the entire preparation process to get a 650,000 LP Char up is... intensive and that doesn't cover half of it, since it's just the stats. You'll also have to create a Legend in a fantasy world in fill that PC with life and I think that's tough to do if you don't know ED by heart.

This is just my personal feedback and I loved to see this work but I believe you won't be getting there, SG - sorry.

*sigh* Joani, I had feared exactly what you suspect. So, I guess that this idea is DOA, at least for now. I could help with character creation, items, etc, but the breathing life into it is something that the player would have to do.

Maybe someone will be willing to do a one shot in some other system.

Archived