Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - HoH: The Early Bird Killer (OOC)

Heritage

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry, you actually haven't missed much. Basically we're all spreading out and covering our bases. Half the team has gone to pick up the hood. Meanwhile the detectives are doing paperwork; Superball and Hellhound are doing research / old fashioned police work and chasing down leads (respectively).

This post by Heritage explains where Superball and Hellhound are at (in terms of the progress we've made). So all you need to do is throw in a post about Naomi working her computer magic and chasing down the leads listed in the top box. Granted, Heritage hasn't actually replied to your question of what a research/investigation roll of 22 will win you in terms of information, but as soon as he replies to that you should be good to go.

You're not actually far behind. The rest of us have just been nickel and diming a few posts that don't take up any actual time. No worries! :D

There was a response post Heri did for me, but now I can't tell anyone since no one is there to hear. You're with some Doctor and everyone else has gone off to chase that delinquent.

Well actually I could radio it.

Technically I think Gary's still there, but jameson hasn't posted in a while, so that might not get you much of a response for a bit. I would recommend texting the rest of the team or using comlinks (I'm just going to assume everyone has them on all the time).

Used my comlink. Got one built into my gear. ^_^

In case you missed it, SB, looks like you would have gotten this text right before you sent out your own findings:

<We're dealing with an honest to goodness ghost. Spirit of "Captain Jonathan Strick", possibly U.S. Military, possibly an alias.>

Aha! A breakthrough! Though I'm not really sure that I know what to do with that info other than radio it in. At least now we've got a partial ID for Jane Doe...

And that kid is running from a speedster... What is this? Amateur hour?

edit: Sorry in advance for the wall o' text / info dump

In case you missed it, SB, looks like you would have gotten this text right before you sent out your own findings:

Wasn't there when I last looked, and honestly I don't know OOC what that text even entails. Since there isn't a cliff's notes version of the info that text was about, I am at a loss.

This was in the first message SB would have received from HH via radio/intercom:

We're dealing with an honest to goodness ghost. Spirit of "Captain Jonathan Strick", possibly U.S. Military, possibly an alias.

A few minutes later, SB receives the following info by radio from HH as well:

"Naomi, I've got some more leads that I think would be worth following up on the research side if you're up to it." He fed Naomi everything he'd learned about Strick, the fort, the Fur Trapper's Daughter, and anything else that the internet had a possibility of turning up a hit on.

Explicitly, this includes:(Cliffnotes!)

- the ghost of Capt. Strick is depicted with fairly standard ghost powers; he can fly, walk through walls and turn fully visible or invisible; A big point is made about his sword being very sharp and very dangerous. It's also claimed that his soul is eternally damned for the killing of Indian families.

- "consigned to the darkest pits of hell for a thousand years." - Not fun as far as fate goes. Someone has to know a way to recreate this spell. It worked once, maybe it can work again.

- Source of information also heavily stresses Native American troubles. Try searching for a local shaman or something that remembers / or may have heard about this and know something about it. This information is notable, but may be completely unrelated.

- He was a highly-decorated officer before he was stationed at Fort Chapman, but once he came here something changed in him. No one's quite sure what it was; what is known is he became obsessed with the Chihutniks, an Indian tribe that was once native to the area, but was all but gone by the time he arrived in 1811. He would lead 'scouting parties' out into the woods, looking for artifacts.

- Strick ordered his men to go outside and kill every single one of them, regardless of sex, age or infirmity; when a few of them naturally balked at these savage orders, he shot one right in the face at point blank range, and said he'd do the same to any other soldier who failed to perform his sacred duty.

- Strick allegedly personally responsible for murder of a resident of the fort; Victim was a young girl noted as a prostitute or 'camp follower' of some kind; Victim was the daughter of a French Fur Trapper. Motive for murder unclear. Perhaps madness? Possibility this is the identity of this case's Jane Doe.

So add those to the list of research topics for Naomi's searches. Perhaps you can use those to aid, or redirect some of her searches?

Hope this helps sum things up for you. Let me know if you need any more info.

Okay, when in doubt, ask my fellows. Been having a hard time phrasing this in SB's voice. So, here is what I'm thinking.

Alpha: What is required for this warding spell?

Beta: How does this relate to the murals I researched?

Gamma: Where is there a Shaman we can talk to in the area? Not to sound racist, but here is the local reservation?

Delta: Does the method of murder match how Strick killed the Fur Trapper's Daughter?

Epsilon: Once we know about the spell, what materials will be required?

That's all I can think of... Unfortunately SB is WAAAAAAY smarter than I... a little help?

I'd say that's at least a good place to start. You could always have her turn up a preliminary set of results and use them to refine any further searches. Also, feel free to have her radio back to HH telling him she'll need some more leg work done to check up on any leads she might uncover, etc.

HEre's what I'm thinking to write. let me know if there's anything that needs to be added/removed.

Naomi chirps up again on her comlink. "Guys? Naomi here... just had another breakthrough.

Seems our Strick the Ghost has been warded for quite a bit, sent up the river styx since he was such a nice guy for a penthouse suite in hell. Thing is we need a Native American angle on the ward. Do we know of any elders or shamans who'd know how to strengthen a ward or help round up a ghost?

Finally, we may have to do some legwork and gather the components necessary to make this work." She sighed. "Can't believe I'm figuring this out. I'm not Hermione.

<Should’ve mentioned Cpt. Sooner. Dangerous? More like expedient IMO. About ready to beat answers out of something :/ Rgr, no hotplace. Update on St. Dom’s Hood?>

Not sure what you're asking Colby about in that last sentance.

Is there an update on the hoodlum from st. Dom's?

This is the part I'm unsure of; are you asking if Detective Colby has an additional information on Francis Guzman? I ask because I didn't think she was working that angle for you guys, just Blitz.

Hi

I'm not sure what's going on. I'm not really even sure if I should come back. I haven't been very engaged and I have to admit I haven't been very engaging either.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Stay or go? I'm not decided in my own mind, but I feel like I should say something, even if all I am saying is nothing.

-j-

Sorry about the absence. Was out sick from work Friday, wedding on Saturday and then the Hurricane on the East Coast of the US has had me all out of sorts lately. Not to mention the fact that I'm sick again, but at least now I'm at work...

This is the part I'm unsure of; are you asking if Detective Colby has an additional information on Francis Guzman? I ask because I didn't think she was working that angle for you guys, just Blitz.

I was indeed asking that of Colby. I was under the impression that while Blitz was being the face of the group in tracking down Guzman, the others (Gary and the detectives) were lurking nearby to provide backup and/or service the warrant for his arrest when that came down the pike.

Things have gotten very mixed up in this thread! Though, I for one, would welcome you with open arms if you chose to keep playing Gary :)

That said, if you want to go, I won't try to guilt you into staying. I'd be happy to RP Russell rising to the occasion of the team lacking a de facto leader (he may not like it, but it'll sure be interesting).

Perhaps what we need is a good old fashioned OOC status update from you Heritage. Just a recap of where all the characters are, and what they're doing. I think everyone should post what their character is personally doing (or thought they were doing) so that Heritage can compile them into one post and coordinate time frames and locations. If you could, please include links to posts where things happened so we know exactly what's going on. Let's get this train back on the rails people!

Hellhound

I suspect hellhound is a little "ahead" of the overall timeline as I've been posting quite a bit, so I'll include everything he's done since the team split up.

- Team split up (Also the reason I'd thought Gary was with the detectives and Blitz)

- Coordinated research efforts with Naomi (estimated time frame = a few minutes. At most an hour or two?)

- Departed HQ to do detective legwork at the Heroes Hall of Fame (a few minutes traveling time)

- Met with Dr Rudolf Gaborchin, Part 2, Part 3, (Estimated total time of meeting ~1 hour)

- Meeting with Dr. Gaborchin, Part 4, (This is also when HH coordinates with Blitz as she is talking with Francis Guzman via text, and the rest of the team via radio/comm)

- Meeting with Dr. Gaborchin, Part 5,

- Meeting with Dr. Gaborchin, Part 6, (Estimated time = ~A Few Minutes (in addition to the 1 hour meeting with Gaborchin))

- Also features an IC information dump to Blitz (who is too busy to respond)

- This is where HH begins communicating with Colby via Voicemail (OOC Link)/ Text (IC link) to update her on his status and findings

- This is where HH begins communicating with Naomi via comm link to communicate his findings and discuss their next step.

- Russell spends a few minutes trapped in his own thoughts, arguing with the devil on his shoulder (Estimated time ~a few minutes)

- Russell returns to HQ bearing cookies to cheer up Naomi and rejuvenate her research efforts (Estimated time ~a few minutes)

That's everything of important note that HH has done since the group split up. As close as I can tell, he's been gone approximately 2 hours doing legwork and is now back at HQ waiting for updates from the rest of the team. Heritage, feel free to adjust that number as you see fit; I'm not sure what the time constraints of research / investigation checks are. For the rest of you, feel free to use these posts as a bench mark for where your character was and what they were doing during certain time periods.

This is literally the only online RP I'm doing. I'm enjoying it quite a lot and I'm not quite ready to let it get de-railed yet ;)

Actually Gary never left the HQ, as we can see in his last post; he was waiting on the warrant, which Kiki now has, and was letting Blitz do the intial legwork.

Lisowski and Colby are back at the office filing paperwork on the bank heist you broke up the previous week, so Blitz is currently in the field right now with no backup, but a squad car could be sent over pretty fast if anbody wants to call one. Also I'm sure Colby would love an excuse to abbandon her partner and leave him with the paperwork to help with any seances or other mystical mojo.

Kiki is still at the HQ, willing to help order and/or pickup occult supples for any rituals; she also has a lot of snacks and drinks on hand for hungry ghost hunters.

Mike (the team's CEO and spiritual leader) is probably hanging around the office somewhere, as is Bo the weird gay techhead with the limp.

Still not really sure about my involvement here. Feeling quite detached, and I'm not at all certain what I am doing or should be doing in the story. Last i knew I think I was waiting for something.

Gary was waiting on the warrant, which we now have. If you want to stay in the game, we can say you were given a ride out to St Dominic's to meet up with Blitz, and you can post from there; if you want to leave the game, I can come up with something involving the FBI to explain Gary being called back to DC or whatever. It's your choice, and we can accomodate you either way :)

I'm just going to make another investigation check in regards to what HH suggested and see what happens...

[Kamiko] 6:25 pm: HoH Investigation check
Kamiko *rolls* 1d20: 2+18: 20
[Kamiko] 6:25 pm: Hero Point
Kamiko *rolls* 1d20: 3+18: 21
[Kamiko] 6:26 pm: So with +10 that's 31
[Kamiko] 6:26 pm: Witness?
[Centimane] 6:26 pm: witnessed[/code]

That leaves me with no HP left, but a 31 on the check.

Mkay, I posted and I'm back, provided that life doesn't make things interesting again. Just to update: I moved (while sicker than a dog) then started a new job (still while sick). I finally feel like things are settling out and I'm getting back into things. Mind you, all of the things that happened are good, good things, but they've played havoc on my personal schedule. I hope nothing else crops up again to slow me down.

Jameson, as is true for many things, you tend to get out as much as you put in. Perhaps re-reading the IC thread (and maybe the OOC thread if things are unclear) would rejuvenate your interest and/or jog your memory?

Edit: Congrats on the move and the new job, Blitz!

Blitz, it's good to have you back - yay and congratz!

Naomi - the 'ritual ingredients', upon closer investigation using the various tools in the lab (might be a good time for a 'science!' montage) appear to be fairly mundane, mostly herbs that can be purchased at the nearest 'magick shop' (angelica, dragon's blood, garlic and a few others), commercial paint and a very small amount of human blood (eek!). Based on the amount in the mixture, this did not come from any sort of sacrifice, more than likely the caster gave him/herself a small cut and shook a few drops in. You have samples of three types of protective charms (Chinese, Hebrew/Kabbalah and Celtic/Druidic) and could probably get the proportions figured out accurately. You are unsure of the casting procedures, but have a good feeling you can't make things any worse.

As far as a sham goes, at this point the easist thing to do would probably get Colby back on the case; she's a good caster and she has a gun

Archived