Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - HoH: The Early Bird Killer (OOC)

Heritage

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. "Binding" or "Sealing" spells and and the magicians/wizards/willworkers/etc. and other entities that typically utilize/work them.

- includes how to cast them? do they require upkeep? How to disable them? how long do they last? etc.

2. WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT WE'RE UP AGAINST:

- Any and all demonic entities that have been 'sealed away' by legend/folklore.

- Specific attention given to anything fitting Gary's description of pure malice, and desire to cause pain, etc.

3. Al-Kazar, Silver Sorcerer, and Penumbra.

- Specific attention given to: any and all dealings they may have had with other planes of existence and/or their activities in this city.

- (My memory of your timeline is fuzzy so...) If any of these characters were NOT active in the Wild West when the fort was first around, any and all mentions of their ability to travel through time or affect the time stream (to see if they had anyway of changing history so they WERE at the fort).

- Any and all mentions of them casting binding or sealing spells in relation to this fort or anywhere else. Try to compare the 'signatures' of their spells with anything we find on the fort or in Colby's drawings.

4. Mundane subjects such as journals or diaries on record at museums and such that detail the events at the fort long ago.

- Also focusing on any and all historical experts that may be able to tell us more about the battle and any important figures that died there (perhaps one cast some sort of death curse on the fort as he was about to pass away).

5. general "google goggle" (take a picture of something and it allows you to google for similar items or images) search for any images on the internet that are similar to Colby's drawings as well as any literature pertaining to them.

---

Also, I'm assuming this list and anything that Superball wants to add to it is going to be the result of HH and SB brainstorming on what to research. HH can NOT think of all this on his own, he's not smart/educated enough. In fact, I'd suggest that at least 70% of these ideas would be coming from SB in some form or another (even if HH might be responsible for refining/focusing them).

That should at least get us started.

Also, I won't be around this weekend. Homecoming at the Alma Mater...

1. "Binding" or "Sealing" spells and and the magicians/wizards/willworkers/etc. and other entities that typically utilize/work them.

- includes how to cast them? do they require upkeep? How to disable them? how long do they last? etc.

- Specific attention given to anything fitting Gary's description of pure malice, and desire to cause pain, etc.

- Specific attention given to: any and all dealings they may have had with other planes of existence and/or their activities in this city.

- (My memory of your timeline is fuzzy so...) If any of these characters were NOT active in the Wild West when the fort was first around, any and all mentions of their ability to travel through time or affect the time stream (to see if they had anyway of changing history so they WERE at the fort).

- Any and all mentions of them casting binding or sealing spells in relation to this fort or anywhere else. Try to compare the 'signatures' of their spells with anything we find on the fort or in Colby's drawings.

4. Mundane subjects such as journals or diaries on record at museums and such that detail the events at the fort long ago.

- Also focusing on any and all historical experts that may be able to tell us more about the battle and any important figures that died there (perhaps one cast some sort of death curse on the fort as he was about to pass away).

5. general "google goggle" (take a picture of something and it allows you to google for similar items or images) search for any images on the internet that are similar to Colby's drawings as well as any literature pertaining to them.

---

Also, I'm assuming this list and anything that Superball wants to add to it is going to be the result of HH and SB brainstorming on what to research. HH can NOT think of all this on his own, he's not smart/educated enough. In fact, I'd suggest that at least 70% of these ideas would be coming from SB in some form or another (even if HH might be responsible for refining/focusing them).

That should at least get us started.

Also, I won't be around this weekend. Homecoming at the Alma Mater...

I would probably come up with #4 and #5, personally.

You'd also probably be responsible for the, "2. WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT WE'RE UP AGAINST:" if not the methods of determining how. But Superball saying something along those lines could spark HH into detailing the two bullet points below this. Remember, this is a joint effort, and you're the smart one after all ;)

Just as a note, Heri et al: I'll try to post today. But with my niece being in the hospital and now me being sick, I'm not really moving too rapidly. Good news: I got my book done the day before I got sick, so I don't have that to deal with anymore. Now I just need for my family and I to be well again for me to be good.

I hope that'll be soon.

Actually, that's kind of lame; maybe it would be best if you divvied up the tasks into two groups, and each rolled seperately for them? Also a call to a local museum/historical society could answer some these questions, or you can just be lazy and Google stuff :D

Can we say that the two work together to gather a list of questions to ask a museum curator? Then HH can deliver them while Superball takes over some more technological searches? I wouldn't mind hashing out a conversation with an NPC if it will save me a (crappy) investigation roll XD

I'll still roll 3 for you anyway just in case you need them: (Looks like the chatroom is completely empty so I'm falling back on InvisibleCastle)

Investigation Roll x3 (1d20+10=13, 1d20+10=29, 1d20+10=17)

Well, at least one of those isn't half bad. Since I didn't state which one was for which, I'll let you apply those rolls however you see fit, Heritage. (Frankly I don't feel like waiting for a few days just to decide who rolls for which item on the list, then waiting even longer to roll and see results, etc.)

Can we say that the two work together to gather a list of questions to ask a museum curator? Then HH can deliver them while Superball takes over some more technological searches? I wouldn't mind hashing out a conversation with an NPC if it will save me a (crappy) investigation roll XD

Yeah, we can do that. I'm feeling pretty crappy myself today (the change of seasons plays havok with my allergies, which often leads to respiratory infections), so I'm gonna lay low today, but tomorrow I'll be back and I'll split the list in two myself so I can post you arriving at the museum.

I'm not really sure on the laws of the land. Does Gary need to indicate on the warrant that he is a telepath? I should think that there are laws against that kind of thing, but perhaps also laws pertaining to how he can use his gifts when questioning a suspect?

That's a good question. Back in 1969, a year after the Guardians of Justice vanished without a trace, Congress ratified the Exceptional Persons Regulatory Act (EPRA), which among other things legally defined the term 'exceptional person' ('Any individual who possesses skills and/or abilities well beyond the range of the average human.'). EPRA is not some sort of 'mutant registration act' (for one thing, mutant is not a legally recognized term like it is in the Marvel Universe); XPs do not have to be registered just because they are XPs. What it means is any XP who is engaged in public service must be sponsored by an existing organization at either the federal, state, county or civic level. Their personal information is kept sealed and on file with that organization, but must be turned over to the Department of Justice if they request it, since the DoJ oversees XP affairs in the US. This bascially serves two purposes:

1. To discourage vigilanteism.

2. To offer some protection to the public if a registered XP goes rogue and becomes a threat to the general population (as what happened with Grimalkin).

EPRA was the US government's attempt to both protect the privacy of individual XPs as well as offer some sort of accountability; before they left, the GoJ were given huge leeway in how the operated within the US, but the public felt that trust was betrayed when they vanished with no explanation, leaving America undefended from exceptional threats. The Alliance was sponsored by the City and State of New York before it was known to be part of a much larger alien organization; now it's chartered under the UN.

So what does this mean for our team?

1. Hellhound, Superball and Blitz have thier personal information on file with the Baker County Sherrif's Office (in Blitz's case, the info is a huge pack of lies).

2. Gary is a federal employee with no 'secret identity', so his FBI file would include information on his powers and abilities; since the FBI is a branch of the DoJ, his info is also recorded in the Exceptional Persons Datafile (EPD), rumored to be the most secure database in the world. The FBI would not be required to turn over said information to local law enforcement, unless there was a court order.

However if Gary wants to use telepathy on someone and have it be admissable as evidence, he needs a warrant; based on the surveilance video and Colby's expert testimony on the supernatural, Lisowski will argue probable cause for Guzman to be questioned and have his residence and person searched regarding the three deaths. Of course, what really throws a monkey wrench into the precedings is that no one knows the identies of the deceased; three women have been killed, but no one knows who they are or if they're even the same woman.

Using telepathy would, I think, be considered a 'search', but due to the privacy issues involved I think you would need special permission from the judge; clearly in 'real life', telepathy in law enforcement would be a vast legal and political minefield.

How does this breakdown look?

For Superball:

This would be the hardcore computer/database searching.

For Hellhound:

The first would be best served by a visit to the Heroes Hall of Fame in McKinley Park by the lake, the second by a visit to the Lake City Historical Society up across the river in Lake Bluff.

I kind of forget what our specific 'official title' is. So if 'special detective' doesn't cut it, let me know and I'll change it.

Special Deputy would be the title for Hellhound, Assistant Special Deputy for Blitz and Speedball. Garry is a Special Agent, which trumps you all :P

By the way, HH, I'm gonna honor those rolls, applying one for each of the three named individuals, in the order Colby listed them in her notes. Does that seem fair?

Edit: For the record, that would be Al-Kazar (13), Silver Sorcerer (29), and Penumbra (17). Technically, SS and Penumbra are the same person; SS was a hero who became the villainous Penumbra who burned 12 blocks of the city back in '97.

Woops, Apologies. I've just hidden it. It was kinda irrelevant anyway. And fine by me on those rolls. I think I may want to HP the one on Al-Kazar, though. I'm not comfortable a 13 is actually going to turn up anything:

Reroll
me: 12:49 pm: was trying slash roll.

[Carver-working] 12:49 pm: Hey, Q

[Carver-working] 12:50 pm: Hey, Jas.

me: 12:50 pm: HP Reroll for Investigation on Al-Kazar

quotemyname *rolls* 1d20: 9+10: 19

me: 12:50 pm: Wow. So that's a 29

[salmonMax] 12:50 pm: Slash roll. A fanfiction about LGBT pastries.

[Heritage] 12:50 pm: Ther ya go!

[Jeremy] 12:50 pm: nice

[salmonMax] 12:50 pm: It's...a 20

[Heritage] 12:50 pm: You find out that your married to his great-grand-daughter in another game

[salmonMax] 12:50 pm: Minimum roll with HP is a 10, but you don't add 10 to your roll.

me: 12:50 pm: lol

Hah, props on the throwback to FCPbP XD

So make those rolls a 29/29/17! Woo! HH is much better at this than he thought!

[Kamiko] 1:37 pm: Now investigation roll for HoH.
Kamiko *rolls* 1d20: 4+18: 22
[Kamiko] 1:39 pm: And can you witness, Abby?
Abyss Phantasia nods[/code]

Not sure if a 22 (generally a big deal) is a good roll or not. I'm used to 20 being pretty solid for DCs.

So, what happens?

Archived