Scene 2 - End of the Road [IC]

Heln attacks the Alpha Genlock again. Her world was reduced to a roar of battle that left little room for her to see or sense anything outside of her narrow focus. She feinted and blocked and swung, and finally saw her opening. With a roar, she took advantage of the opening and struck.

Normally, Heln would help Alkenka. However, Jim said that she’s in the center of combat. To me, that means she’s in the middle of a mass of howling, screaming combatants, while wearing a helmet. So, for better or worse, she doesn’t hear the sexy mage needs help.

Minor Action: Aim

Major: Melee attack with Bastard sword

Carver *rolls* 3d6: Carver Soze *rolls* 3d6: 5+1+4+3+1: 14

[salmonMax] 9:41 pm: Two! Two! Two Carvers in one!

No stunt.

Damage: Carver Soze *rolls* 2d6: 6+5+4: 15

[sandman XI] 9:43 pm: alright, gone for a bit for real this time

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actions/Rolls
[Moira Morley] 9:52 pm: Anyone from DA want to witness my rolls?
[Moira Morley] 9:52 pm: anyone from DA here?
[Carver Soze] 9:52 pm: I is.
[Moira Morley] 9:53 pm: so Kolani is going to sneak up and backstab the head dude in the FACE
[Moira Morley] 9:53 pm: do i roll backstab before or after damage?
[Moira Morley] 9:54 pm: first i'm going to roll to see if i even hit
[Carver Soze] 9:54 pm: No idea.
Moira Morley *rolls* 3d6: 5+5+3+3: 16
[Moira Morley] 9:56 pm: awyeah that's a stunt i beleive
[Moira Morley] 9:56 pm: two stunts if the +3 counts
[Malachite] 9:58 pm: Sorry, afk.
[Moira Morley] 9:58 pm: does anyone know DA rules for stunts?
[Malachite] 9:58 pm: No, just the 5's count, but you have 5 stunt points.
[Malachite] 9:58 pm: They're listed in the game threads.
[Moira Morley] 9:58 pm: 5 points?
[Moira Morley] 9:58 pm: Weee!
[Moira Morley] 10:00 pm: lightning attack and knockk prone
[Moira Morley] 10:00 pm: so here goes my backstab roll
Moira Morley *rolls* 3d6: 4+2+3+3: 12
[Moira Morley] 10:01 pm: so that vs his perception
Moira Morley *rolls* 1d6: 3+4: 7
[Moira Morley] 10:02 pm: for the first attack
Moira Morley *rolls* 1d6: 4: 4
[Moira Morley] 10:02 pm: if the backstab hits
Moira Morley *rolls* 3d6: 4+5+4+3: 16
[Moira Morley] 10:03 pm: for the lightning attack
Moira Morley *rolls* 1d6: 6+4: 10
[Moira Morley] 10:03 pm: BOOYAKA
[Moira Morley] 10:03 pm: damage for the lightning attack if that need me said
[Moira Morley] 10:04 pm: i dont know if backstab is applied to lightning attack

Everything spelled out
Move to Alpha (minor)
Hit/Backstab (major)
Use Stunt points (5) to attack Alpha again (3) and knock him prone again (2)

Kolani's heart raced as she began to get into the rhythm of battle, ducking and weaving through the fray. Sneaking up on the leader Genlock and stabbing at it's thick head from behind, she saw an equal opportunity to pull her knife around to it's throat. Doing so, with a nice thick gash, she pulled the Alpha to the ground.

Shiral'ven reoriented himself and sent another blast of destructive magic off against the genlock backing Alenka up to the cliff's edge. Watch where you're stepping, shem! The thought was more warning than derision; he'd lived in the Tower long enough to have a greater care for human life than he had before.

Mechanics

Major Action: Arcane Lance

[Malachite] 8:31 am: Shiral'ven:

Malachite *rolls* 3d6: 1+4+1+4: 10 +1 for Aim, and that's a miss...

Along the ridge Alenka backed away from the genlock and wove a spell. Life force drained from the beast and into her, visibly closing wounds even as they opened upon the creature. D'juric charged to her aid and laid a blow upon the creature, that seem minor compared to the spell's effects. Within the swirling chaos of the melee strikes were laid and missed, while others stuck true. Truest of all was Heln's killing blow, a massive broadsword sweep that cleaved the Alpha's head from it's shoulders. Kolani, charging in from the woods, diverted her attack at the last moment and drove her blade deep into a genlock twice in rapid succession, driving the creature to the ground. In a panic at the attack and the loss of it's leader the beast leaped to its feet and fled. Likewise the loss of the alpha and the demoralizing effects of Alenka's Life Drain inspired a second genlock to flee, running off into the woods.

Initiative

Alenka - 19

Genlock #1 - 17

Genlock #3 - 15`

Genlock Alpha - 15

Heln - 14

Genlock #4 - 13`

Kolani - 13

Nayobee - 13

Ryoma - 12

D'juric - 11

Genlock #5 - 10'

Shiral'ven - 10

Genlock #2 - 8

Conditions

Alenka - 7 damage & 11 magic

Genlock #1 - 7 damage

Genlock #2 - 8 damage - fleeing

Genlock #3 -15 damage

Genlock #4

Genlock #5 - 16 damage - fleeing

Genlock Alpha - 45 damage

Heln - 7 damage

Nayobe - 10 damage

Ryoma - 5 damage

Djuric - 3 damage

Kolani

Shiral'ven

Combat

Alenka

Minor: Move

Major: Casting Drain Life on Genlock 2 (TN 12)

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 6+1+2+4: 13

Genlock resist roll: jameson *rolls* 3d6: 3+1+1+4: 9

Penetrating Damage jameson *rolls* 1d6: 1+4: 5

Alenka heals 5 points

Genlock #1 -

Minor: Aim

Major: Attack Heln

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 3+5+1+5+1: 15

Damage jameson *rolls* 2d6: 6+5+3: 14

Genlock #3 -

Major: Attack Djuric

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 6+2+3+5+1: 17

Damage jameson *rolls* 2d6: 1+1+3: 5

Genlock Alpha -

Minor action: Aim

Major Action: Attack Ryoma

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 3+6+6+6+1: 22

[jameson] 10:06 am: 3 pt stunt!

Mighty Blow + Skirmish (shoving Ryoma out of the melee 2 yards)

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 2+1+3+4: 10

Heln here - kills the alpha

Genlock #4 -

Willpower - jameson *rolls* 3d6: 4+5+4+2: 15

Major: Attack Nayobee

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 4+3+6+5+1: 19

jameson *rolls* 2d6: 2+2+3: 7

Kolani, Nayobee, Ryoma, and Djuric here

Genlock #5 -

Willpower jameson *rolls* 3d6: 3+2+3+2: 10

Minor: stand

Major: flee

Shira here

Genlock #2 -

Willpower jameson *rolls* 3d6: 3+4+1+2: 10

Minor: flee

Major: flee

Genlock 1 & Genlock 3 Willpower

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 1+1+6+2: 10

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 2+4+2+2: 10

The big Glenlock went down from a blow with her sword and Heln screamed with victory. Though it wasn’t her cry that did it, her pleasure was heightened by watching two of the genlocks flee. She didn’t have time for much gloating and preening; there were three gunlocks foolish enough to not flee. Stepping away from the hard-earned corpse on the ground, she darted over to another gunlock her sword cutting through the air with ease. Unfortunately, all it cut through was air.

Minor Action: Move

Major: Melee attack with Bastard sword

Carver-working *rolls* 3d6: 2+1+3+3: 9

[Carver-working] 10:06 am: Urgh.

[Carver-working] 10:07 am: Can I get a witness, please?

[stargaizer] 10:08 am: nope

Her shoulder was aching a bit from the cut of the Genlock's axe but she knew she had no time to fret. Instead Nayobee quickly switched weapons, back to her favoured bow. With an elegant swivel on one leg she almost aimed blindly towards the direction she was fleeing from trusting in her sense of direction and experience with the bow to hit foe instead of friend.

The arrow found it's mark hitting the Genlock on one of his softer parts of it's armor.

Feeling the weight of her bow in her hand the young elven Maid smiled - much better using my bow... much much better

Actions and Rolls

Minor Action: Ready Action - switching from Short Sword to Bow

Major Action: Attack Genlock #3

Attack Roll vs Genlock #3

[Joani] 6:30 pm: Chucking the dice for attack vs. Genlock

Joani *rolls* 3d6: 5+4+1+6: 16

[jameson] 6:31 pm: just don't choose the shocky face or people will yell at you

[Joani] 6:31 pm: that's a hit

Damage Roll:

[Joani] 6:31 pm: here's my damage

[sandman XI] 6:31 pm: whats shocky face?

Joani *rolls* 1d6: 6+6: 12

[Malachite-working] 6:31 pm: The rolly face is annoying, too.

[Joani] 6:31 pm: yes!!

Ryoma charged back into the melee, meaning t attack the alpha abut as he was putdown he noticed the two attacking Djuric and Heln were close enough and swung out in a vicious blow that could potentially connect with them both.

minor move into melee

major attack

Long6 *rolls* 3d6: 6+5+5+4: 20

[Long6] 8:07 pm: hmm how do stunts in Dragon age work?

I see now... adding dual strike and mighty blow to the attack

First damage (mighty blow here)

Long6 *rolls* 3d6: 4+5+6+7: 22

second damage (normal)

Long6 *rolls* 2d6: 3+1+7: 11

Another silent prayer was said to the gods as the leader of the darkspawn fell and several of the lesser ones fled. He reset himself and reoriented on one of the remaining monsters.

Mechanics

Major Action: Arcane Lance on Genlock #4

[Malachite] 8:48 pm: Shiral'ven attack:

Malachite *rolls* 3d6: 3+3+1+4: 11 + 1 is 12

[Malachite] 8:53 pm: Shiral'ven damage:

Malachite *rolls* 1d6: 5+4: 9

Using two of the three SP to use Knockdown.

Actions/Rolls
[Moira Morley] 1:58 pm: alright, going to smack me a genlock
Moira Morley *rolls* 3d6: 4+1+5+3: 13
[jameson] 1:58 pm: hit
[Moira Morley] 1:58 pm: and back stab it
[Jordan] 1:59 pm: Grimm post
Moira Morley *rolls* 3d6: 3+2+2+3: 10
[jameson] 1:59 pm: Perception 2(Smelling)
jameson *rolls* 3d6: 6+5+3+4: 18
[Moira Morley] 1:59 pm: so 10 vs perception
[jameson] 1:59 pm: no backstab for you
[Moira Morley] 2:00 pm: :(
[Moira Morley] 2:00 pm: so damage
[Moira Morley] 2:00 pm: wait!
[Moira Morley] 2:00 pm: i get 3 stunt points
[jameson] 2:00 pm: no
[Moira Morley] 2:00 pm: that's a lightning attack
[jameson] 2:00 pm: no
[Moira Morley] 2:00 pm: doh
[jameson] 2:01 pm: your attack roll was not a stnt
[jameson] 2:01 pm: and your stealth roll is not an attack
[Moira Morley] 2:01 pm: ok
[Moira Morley] 2:01 pm: so just damage
Moira Morley *rolls* 1d6: 2+4: 6
[Moira Morley] 2:02 pm: that's it right?

Minor action: creep up on a genlock
Major action: try to stab it

Kolani eyed the fallen leader genlock as the rest fled. Though it seems all of them did not flee! Hopping back into action she deftly snuck up on one of the remaining genlocks and plunged her short sword into it's back.

As more of the genlocks fell the warriors fought on. The lone genlock who stayed brought his axe to bear on the dwarf, cutting a bloody gash in the warriors flesh before dying to the combined might of Ryoma's unrelenting assault with his hammer and Djuric's own timely use of his axe. The heroes heaved deep breaths of fresh forest air as they allowed themselves to relax. The genlocks had scattered, there was no orderly retreat, and they had little to fear of the survivors forming up for a second attack. They were all hurt, and there was still the bridge to deal with, but none had fallen, and that was enough for the immediate moment.

Conditions

Alenka - 7 damage & 11 magic

Genlock #1 - 14 damage - fleeing

Genlock #2 - 8 damage - fleeing

Genlock #3 - 22 damage - fleeing

Genlock #4 - 32 damage

Genlock #5 - 16 damage - fleeing

Genlock Alpha - 45 damage

Heln - 7 damage

Nayobe - 10 damage

Ryoma - 10 damage

Djuric - 10 damage

Kolani - 4 damage

Shiral'ven

Combat

Alenka

Minor: Move

Major: Arcane Lance on Genlock 1

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 3+3+6+4: 16

3 pt stunt, lightning attack

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 6+3+5+4: 18

jameson *rolls* 1d6: 4+4: 8

jameson *rolls* 1d6: 5+4: 9

Genlock #1 -

Major: Attack Kolani

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 4+3+1+5: 13

Damage jameson *rolls* 2d6: 1+4+3: 8

Genlock #3 -

Major: Attack Ryoma

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 2+2+6+5: 15

jameson *rolls* 2d6: 5+2+3: 10 damage

Heln here - miss

Genlock #4 -

Minor: move

Major: Attack Djuric

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 1+6+3+5: 15

jameson *rolls* 2d6: 4+5+3: 12

Kolani here

Nayobee here

Ryoma here - modding post to a lighting attack which hits, damage remains the same - massive damage to Genlock 4

Djuric here - kills genlock 4

Shira here - miss

We are out of combat. The other four Genlocks have fled. Feel free to post freely. To RP and close the scene. I will move us onto the next scene, dealing with the destroyed bridge, next week.

Nayobee considered briefly firing off another arrow at the fleeing Genlocks but decided against it. They were beaten and she had no particular reason to indulge in unnecassary violence. As much as they were terrifying to look at and fight, these creatures knew fear and had a sense of self-preservation - that was good in her eyes.

After she was sure that there was no immediate danger she stepped out of her cover but the Bow was still readied and an arrow was resting on the string at ease. She could've sworn there was another Archer who joined the fight but wasn't a Genlock - maybe the others had seen him or her?

"Anyone seriously injured? I've got bandages and can treat some minor wounds.", the young elven maid was still half in combat mode and adrenaline was still keeping her senses fully alert - once things had cooled down she'd be back to her more lighthearted demeanor.

Ryoma shrugged. "They were the smart ones I guess." He was hurt, but not grievously. "Tend to the others first, those that need it." He kept a watchful eye towards the surroundings, to see if any came back. "we still need to find our way across, and quickly. "

"Alenka, is there another route that you know of that will still allow us to arrive as we are supposed to?"

Shiral'ven nodded to the other elf. "I can help with bandages as well, and some magic, if there's need. I'd rather not see us start another fight like that with wounds already."

He made his way around the group, applying the healing arts, both mundane and magical, that he had learned in the Tower to his companions. His hands were steady and sure as he worked, though his heart was still thudding in his chest. He had known there would be dangers when he'd left the Tower, and he'd lived in the wildernesses all his life before then - but knowledge was also a poor second to experience and the Dalish were wise enough to keep their aravels clear of darkspawn-infested territory.

When we could, he reminded himself. There were hunters that never came home, I was just too young or a First to ever be out with them. At least we all live and no one seems infected with the taint. What a nightmare that would be....

The group took a few minutes to gather their breath. The newcomer slipped off through the trees without a trace, almost like she had never been there to begin with. A few were injured still, and Alenka appeared fatigued from the effort of casting magic.

With the genlocks defeated, and their breathe returning their attention returns to the missing bridge. Alenka shakes her head. “We need to cross here somehow. It’ll many hours—that we don’t have—to reach the next crossing to the west, or circle the lake to the east.” The chasm itself is quite wide, nearly forty feet, and the bridge is gone, crushed to rubble at the bottom of the chasm. "If anybody has any ideas, now is the time," Alenka says. "And we have little time to waste, only what we gained by starting yesterday, which is not nearly enough to reach the next crossing." She looks at the gulf with a look of determination, but also one that appears teetering on the edge of defeat.

Conditions

Alenka - 4 damage & 11 magic (remaining)

Nayobe - 2 damage

Ryoma - 4 damage

Djuric - 2 damage

The young elven maid was quickly catching her breath as she tried to assess the situation.

“We could try crossing the chasm with a rope – if there’s a boulder or rock or maybe even the remains of the bridge left on the other side we might be able to use a rope like a lasso and tie it to a stable spot. I suppose I’d be the first to try climbing over to the other side and then make a sturdy knot around one of the trees. Once everything is set you just need to follow.”

She raised one brow not quiet sure if what she said would be taken as total bollocks and she would be declared insane.

Ryoma nodded. "You are probably the lightest among us." He shrugged. "My idea was to tie the rope to an arrow and shoot it across. That would be easier than trying the lasso idea, but I don't know how secure it would be, however."

There's a better way," as Ryoma spoke looked around, and then to Djuric. "We're in a forest. If you would, let's find a big tree near the chasm and chop it down. then we will have our bridge, It will be abit dicey on the other end initially, but we can secure the ends of it with stones.'

Heln had been studying the chasm in silence; at Ryoma's suggestion, she grinned. "Brute force engineering. I like it!" She clapped the man on his shoulder, as one would a companion. “I’ll head up-stream, you go down. Let’s see if we can find a suitable tree!” It was, she reflected as she scrambled away and sought a good tree, just as well that they had brought no horses. They’d be forced to leave the beasts and the investment they represented here.

"Using a tree to cross is indeed a smart idea," Alenka said. She paused thoughtfully, "Better for some than trying to scale down and up again, though perhaps not for others. These trees have few low branches and crossing will require nimble footwork."

She nodded to herself and then approached Shiral'ven, "I could use your bandage work if possible."

Shiral'ven nodded and went to work bandaging the other mage. His mind was on the problem of the crossing, though, and as his hands worked from long-trained memory, he asked, "Are there any trees in a good place for cutting? I'm not sure we could manage moving one if we'd have to-" But the others had already begun spreading out. He shook his head and wished them luck. This job was seeming less and less worth the pay, but there were also children waiting for a safe way home. Even he wasn't so heartless to leave them out here, where darkspawn and who knew what else might be lurking.

He finished off the bandage and adressed Alenka, "Even if we find a suitable tree, that won't be a way back with children in tow. Is there another crossing we can use that has any chance of putting us back at the castle in time?" He muttered something in Dalish afterwards, dark tones about the Arl and his callousness.

Bandaging
[Malachite] 4:50 pm: Shiral'ven Healing:

Malachite *rolls* 3d6: 6+5+1+5: 17

With Journeman healing, I believe that's 15 HP of healing for her - 6 on the DD, doubled, plus his Cunning.

"But we have to find them first before we think about finding a safe way back.", Nayobee chimed in giving Shiral'ven a friendly smile. She didn't know why but somehow she had the impression he didn't like her much.

But she also didn't want to dwell on it much so instead she got an apple out of her bag and cut it in half offering it to him while she took a good bite of hers. Maybe he'd soften up a little - she hoped.

Alenka nodded as she tested the bandaged limb, "Thank you. I fear I expended a great deal of mana during that battle, let us hope that we have seen the last of the darkspawn." Shouts from the forest drew their attention and soon they found themselves watching as D'juric and Ryoma took turns at the axe, as a tree a good eighty feet tall was chopped down to fall across the chasm. The tree, largely bare of branches for much of its height provides a rounded bridge wide enough for the party to cross single file. Alenka looks at the bridge and then the others, "So, who is going to go first?"

Rolls and sundry
Rather than slow us up with all the rolls needed to prep and fell the tree I am going to skip ahead to the crossing.

Crossing the chasm on the tree requires an Advanced Test (which I detailed here) of Dexterity (Acrobatics) against a TN of 11 with a threshold of 8 with each test taking 1 minute.

Alenka's rolls - Dexterity 1

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 4+5+6+1: 16 - Dragon Die of 4 (Threshold 4 of 8)

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 3+1+6+1: 11 - Dragon Die of 3 (Threshold 7 of 8)

jameson *rolls* 3d6: 5+2+4+1: 12 - Dragon Die of 5 (Threshold 12 of 8)

Alenka crosses easily in just a few minutes.

Failing two tests in a row causes 1d6 penetrating damage per roll as the character slips and has to scramble and haul themselves up on the rough bark of the tree.

“I’ll go first!”, Nayobee proclaimed and finished her apple before she sheathed her dagger and nimbly tumbled across the log over to the other side.

Rollin, rollin, rollin

[Joani] 5:58 pm: Tumbling over the log to the other side

[Carver-working] 5:58 pm: Mala: Nope

Joani *rolls* 3d6: 2+5+4+4: 15 (2)

Joani *rolls* 3d6: 5+3+5+4: 17 (7)

Joani *rolls* 3d6: 4+5+5+4: 18 (11)

[Joani] 5:59 pm: 11 - that's it

TN was 11 and I got it on the third roll

Once she was there she smiled back at the others and waved, “See? It’s easy. Good sturdy tree.”, the young elven rogue laughed and waited for the next one to follow up.

Shiral'ven finished the part of the apple Nayobee had offered to him as good luck, since the nimble city elf had crossed so easily, then took a breath and stood up. "I'll go next..."

Another quick prayer to any of the gods that might be listening, and then he was off. A score of years ago and he wouldn't have even blinked at climbing a tree like this - but that was years ago and now he made an awkward dance of his way across, grabbing at tree branches to keep his balance and generally looking like a drunken fool. He'd finally found his balance on the last few feet and landed back on the ground with a relieved sigh.

"If I can do that in robes," he called back over the chasm, teasing, "should be a piece of cake for the rest of you."

Rolls
[jameson] 11:57 am: [Malachite] 12:24 pm: Shiral'ven very uncomfortably trying not fall off a damn tree....

Malachite rolls 3d6: 2+5+3+1: 11

[Carver-working] 12:24 pm: Can he sit down and hump across?

[Malachite] 11:57 am: Thanks, Jim.

Malachite *rolls* 3d6: 4+2+4+1: 11

Malachite *rolls* 3d6: 5+3+6+1: 15

[Malachite] 11:58 am: Woot! He didn't die!!

Ryoma moved surprisingly gracefully for a man his size, and with agile reflexes honed from years of combat and evironmental awareness, he crossed the chasm with nary a hitch, providing abit more close combat support should anyone be foolish enough to engage them on the other side while waiting for the others to cross.

"'S shame really, to waste good timber. maybe someone will come behind later and use it to cross over and build a new bridge."

Long6 *rolls* 3d6: 5+2+4+4: 15

Long6 *rolls* 3d6: 5+4+3+4: 16

[Long6] 4:44 pm: that was easy

[Long6] 4:44 pm: for once

diceroll
AceWildcard *rolls* 3d6: 5+5+4+2: 16, AceWildcard *rolls* 3d6: 5+1+1+2: 9, AceWildcard *rolls* 3d6: 5+4+4+2: 15

Djuric did not get why everyone was being silly over this. He goes to put up his weapons and just walk along the fallen tree and holding onto the trees branches as leverage so he would not fall if he slip which he barely did. Once on the other side. "See wasn't that hard." he said with a wolfish grin.

“You try it in armor, Shiral’ven, and then I’ll offer you a toast.” Despite her words, Ryoma crossed easily despite his armor. When Djuric had scrambled over, Heln looked to Alenka. “You’re next. I’ll watch this end to make sure no more beasties come up our backsides.” Alenka gave her a look at Heln’s “salty” language but merely clambered up on the tree and began her passage. The mage took her time but made it over without incident. Heln watched her closely, nervous but silently enjoying the image the mage created in her crossing.

Heln was pleased. This was going well. A more cynical person would have assumed that this was when Heln herself would fail, but the young woman didn’t think that way. When it was her turn Heln walked easily over the trunk, making it look effortless. In truth, her body was well-trained for the rigors of combat, and swordwork built balance as well as strength.

Stepping off the log on the other side, the warrior looked to her companions. “That was a nice detour, but we should move on. We’ve lost daylight with these two diversions.” Somewhat less than subtly, she began to urge them back toward the road and their destination.

Rolls
Carver *rolls* 3d6: 6+2+6+2: 16

Carver *rolls* 3d6: 5+3+6+2: 16

[Carver] 8:11 am: That did me, right?

[jameson] 8:12 am: yes carv

"Well, that certainly turned out easier than expected. Who knew a tree would make such an effective bridge." Alenka seemed pleased as she led the group back up the ravine to the road and then onward through the forest. "There is a clearing ahead, one where we can take a short rest and eat a midday meal, to keep our strength up."

The clearing is just off the road, through a thick screen of dense underbrush and trees. On two sides it is heavily walled off by large boulders jutting from the ground and covered in fuzzy green moss, the third leads deeper into the forest away from the road, but is also heavily screened by thickets and trees. The clearing would easily provide a defensible location should more darkspawn come along.

"Here it is, what do you think, shall we stop for a moment? We lost only the time we had gained yesterday, and it would be wise to grab a meal, even a hasty one," Alenka says. The Arl's steward is correct, the time lost in crossing the ravine was only enough to lose what had been gained the night before and a short stop would not delay them significantly. From her expression she appears to be leaving the ultimate choice to the group however.

The rest of the morning passed without incident. Heln was determined to find some rope so that when they returned with the Arl's children, they could tie the young nobles to an adult and pull them back up if they fell.

Heln looked around at the clearing again. It was a good place to stop and eat, and the woman slowly nodded. "Yes, we should eat here. Better to sit for a moment and eat in a measured way than to choke it down while marching." Matching word to deed, the warrior unslung her pack and dug out her apples, cheese and hard bread.

"Oh, I second, third, and fourth that," Shiral'ven said as he shed is pack, dug lunch out of it, and took a seat on the ground to rest his feet. I really should have bought new boots before we left...

He motioned to Nayobee, an invitation to join him, and offered up some of the blackberries he'd picked while they were walking in return for the apple she'd shared earlier that day. Even as he relaxed, he kept his staff near and his ears sharp. He'd learned too early in life that just because you're resting, that doesn't mean all the beasties and men that would like nothing more than to end your day with fang or sword are taking a break as well. And there were darkspawn in the area. That was almost enough to ruin a nice lunch right there.

"I could use a break - and the place here looks easily defensible... I hope.", she smiled and made herself comfortable next to Shiral'ven. She was a bit surprised about the invitation, he seemed dismissive when they first met. I probably earned some trust after the fight...

"So... how old are the children we're supposed to fetch actually? Are they old enough to fight for themselves?", Nayobee asked as she cut another apple in two.

Djuric just sat down and ate his meal in quite as he sat with his back at a tree. So far no one wanted to really speak to him. He would understand them doing so. He would have not been so bothered by it. They were mercenaries and they did not all have to be nice to one another. He did listen to any conversation that were going on that he could hear though.

Alenka sat down next to the elves, "They are in their teens. Young, but not incapable." She looked sidelong at the two, and Nayobee in particular, and continued in a lower voice, quiet enough that none save the two could hear. “I had no idea that the darkspawn had come this far north. You’re definitely not getting paid enough to risk your life fighting the likes of genlocks.” Alenka takes one of her boots off and shakes the sand from it.

The Arl is a cheap man, the lives of his children are at risk and he is hardly willing to lay down a single gold where he can avoid otherwise to ensure their protection." She shakes her head, musing quietly, "Yet he would probably pay fifty gold sovereigns—one hundred times what you’ll make otherwise—if the children were held and ransomed.” She eyes the elves, looking to see their reactions.

Ryoma ate in peace, before cleaning the gore from his weapons, and adjusting his armor. It annoyed him about the bridge, and that they'd not brought all the supplies. Still he himself had incorrectly assumed they'd be fine as well, so he couldn't blame the others without turning it to himself.

"Well, that could have gone much worse."

Nayobee nodded at Alenka as she spoke of the children somewhat relieved that they could - in theory at least - fight for themselves if necessary. When the Arl's Mage spoke of a potential kidnapping to get more money out of this the young elven Maid perked up visibly. It's a test... this woman is testing our loyalty.

"I think that fight must've caused more confusion than I thought. For a moment I thought I heard you say that we should ask for more gold by taking the kids hostage ourselves. Silly me to assume such thing, I'm sure I must've been daydreaming. What was that you said again, Mistress Alenka?", Nayobee asked as she took a good bite off her apple and giving the Arl's mage a knowing smile. If she was playing games Nayobee wouldn't fall for it. This could be easily considered treason and what was all that gold worth if you were hanged...?

Shiral'ven unconsciously leaned a little closer to Nayobee, happy to discover that she was neither cruel nor stupid. His look for Alenka was considerably less friendly, as he hadn't missed that she'd broached this little conversational gem only with the two elves in the group. He took a bit of bread and cheese and mused aloud, "Besides, the Arl could hardly be bothered to hire an escort for his children. While I've not doubt the Arlessa would be devastated if her children were so callously taken for coin, I'm not certain she could convince the sh-, the Arl, that they were worth such a sum. Or that he needed both of them, or that his soldier's lives weren't less costly, or that he couldn't simply father another heir, or any other number of far more inconvenient choices he could make that would leave anyone so foolish to try such a thing without coin and quite possibly without their life."

He smiled, brittle and bright, at the other mage, "But then, we are lucky that those here are not so foolish or so heartless, yes?"

Archived