Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - [1.3] Hot Nights in the City

Dawn OOC

She shook her head, still standing over the boy and between him and the one she was speaking to. "One can only remove the physical chains," she sighed. "We work only for ourselves. You are the slave that refuses freedom when offered it."

Her stance changed, still protective but now set for confrontation over the fate of the unconscious boy; her face set into a mask of resigned sadness. "Travis is a man grown and has made his decisions today. He will return or not, as it is. This boy is still a child and I will not send him back to be kenneled and beaten by humans." Her eyes narrowed into slits, "They will not have another child, not so long as I draw breath, and I only die for a few hours."

"I give you one more chance, child of my line," her stance was still ready, but her voice was soft and sincere. "Be free. Leave your masters. Join us if you wish, or not, but do not choose to be a slave." The last was said with a pleading note.

Mechanics
[Malachite] 4:52 pm: Lamia's Insight:

Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 16+8: 24 vs difficulty 6 Pass...

:P

[Malachite] 5:27 pm: Lamia tryin' the persuasion again:

Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 13+8: 21

Initiative moved to 13 from holding her action until after Seeker answered her.

“He’s coming in hot.” The two identical women looked at the soldier, who restrained the urge to shudder. Their identical gazed chilled him. They looked normal, but they mirrored one another perfectly. Freaks. Still, he had a job to do. “The German mutie said not to use physical attacks.”

“We stay here, then,” the twins said, looking at their companions. One was a well of darkness; the other a woman with an owl’s head. “You go.” When the human in charged nodded in agreement, the two took the air. The blot of darkness rose through the night like it was one while the woman took flight on silent wings.

Prime slipped his grasp like a wet fish and then took off like a bat out of hell. The man shot off like a bullet covering ground fast enough that Travis was forced to released his shield and pour on almost all the speed he had to keep up with the traitorous mutant. "Get back here you son of a bitch! I'm not done with him! I won't be done with him until I make him beg for death! Not until I have pulled his arms and legs off like the insect that he is!" Telekinetic fingers once more grabbed at the other mutants, pouring his anger and hatred into the attacks. Again Prime rolled, wiggled and squirmed, and Travis’s fingers fell free.

Fenris, cursing at being caught in the open, slipped into the woods. He more or less followed the race-traitor, aware Lamia had gone that way too. If the copier tried to hurt her, he’d find himself dealing with a very angry Fenris.

Prime had kept without two hundred feet of the ground; his reason for that was revealed as Travis found the support team. As Prime slowed and headed for the ground, Night Sorrow circled silently above them. When Travis grew near, she drew breath and released a deep scream. The owl-woman’s beak distended slightly with the force of her scream.

Nyght swooped in; even as he closed, a stream of darkness flew at Travis. It came from nowhere, but he knew where the next one came from. It shot past him from Nyght’s outstretched fingers then doubled back and pounded into him. The darkness was cold, so cold it burned.

Mary couldn't keep up. Two weapons, two different directions. And she was so TIRED. She'd never, ever tried to do this kind of thing before, and she could feel her control slipping. The blocking metal plates were not quite in time, and not quite in the right spots. Bullets ripped through the air around her. One found her upper arm, another her thigh. She went to the ground with a piercing scream that was abruptly cut off...

...by a large metal dome that appeared over the spot she'd fallen in. Identical to the one that now kept one of the responders captive, in fact.

It seemed that, while they hadn't killed her on the spot, they'd successfully removed one of the mutants from the fight.

"Freedom," Seeker spit on the ground. "You know nothing. Clearly Strike is not your primary objective, and clearly my primary objective is unattainable." He stole a quick glance at Fahrenheit.

"Half my team is gone or incapacitated and your heaviest hitter has just flown off after two of them. The DEHA has unlimited resources to throw at this situation. How much can you afford to sacrifice? If I were you I'd be more worried about what sort of situation Prime is leading your projector into and not whether or not you can kidnap another mutant for whoever you work for.

"Go," The young mutant continued "This is the only out you are going to get from me. Leave the boy and go." All through his speech Seeker is tense, ready to strike at any opponent who makes a threatening move towards him or Strike.

Lamia shook her head, still standing over the boy and between him and the one she was speaking to. "One can only remove the physical chains," she sighed. "We work only for ourselves. You are the slave that refuses freedom when offered it."

Her stance changed, still protective but now set for confrontation over the fate of the unconscious boy; her face set into a mask of resigned sadness. "Travis is a man grown and has made his decisions today. He will return or not, as it is. This boy is still a child and I will not send him back to be kenneled and beaten by humans." Her eyes narrowed into slits, "They will not have another child, not so long as I draw breath, and I only die for a few hours."

"I give you one more chance, child of my line," her stance was still ready, but her voice was soft and sincere. "Be free. Leave your masters. Join us if you wish, or not, but do not choose to be a slave." The last was said with a pleading note.

Prime finished moving and turned, checking on the progress of the fight above him. Men hurried forward to take Cancel and Dr. Silberstein from him. Silver-gray eyes watched the fight with concern, knowing that there was little he could do but wishing he could help.

The fiery angel of wrath gritted her teeth angrily as she watched Prime escape with Dr. Silberman - she could try to follow him but she could already tell that the other Mutant was much faster than her. Rage boiled inside her which quickly grew into a bright white ball of burning hatred which needed to be channeled. Fahrenheit set her baleful gaze upon the Rapid Responders within range and sight and inhaled deeply glowing brighter than before for a moment – time seemed to stand still and then she released her fury in a Dragon’s breath like inferno with a primal roar bathing the RRs in fire. The men took her burning torment like the hardened warriors they were.

The field of battle had rapidly emptied, leaving only one target: the goddess of fire. The soldiers wasted some ammo on her, but the rapid responders didn’t waste as much ammo. Instead, Farhenheit found herself racked by three blasts of electrical fire. At the same time, Travis found himself getting peppered by a lone rapid responder, waiting with the other group.

Initiatives
Gemini – 26

Travis – 22

Fenris – 22

Night Sorrow – 18

Nyght - 18

Mary – 18

Seeker – 14

Lamia – 13

Prime – 12

Fahrenheit – 6

Soldiers – 6

Rapid Responders (4) – 3

NPC Damage Checks
Travis Grabby-Grabby!

Prime [attacked by Travis] Dodge/Str vs DC 20 – 11+10 = 21, Pass

Prime [attacked by Travis] Dodge/Str vs DC 20 – 14+10 = 24, Pass

Fahren Flame On!

RR #1 [attacked by Fahren] Dodge Save vs DC 20 – 3+2 = 5, Fail

RR #1 [attacked by Fahren] Toughness Save vs DC 25 – 1+11 = 12. Fail [by 13, Staggered, -1 Toughness]

RR #3 [attacked by Fahren] Dodge Save vs DC 20 – 5+2 = 7, Fail

RR #3 [attacked by Fahren] Toughness Save vs DC 25 – 19+13 = 32, Pass

RR #4 [attacked by Fahren] Dodge Save vs DC 20 – 18+2 = 20, Pass

RR #4 [attacked by Fahren] Toughness Save vs DC 20 – 1+13 = 14. Fail [by 6, Dazed, -1 Toughness]

Fenris [attacked by S #1 (last round)] Toughness Save vs Dc 22 – 2+4 = 6, Fail [by 14, Staggered]

--I assume an HP will be rolled but will let the player do that.

Combat Rolls
Travis Grabby here

Fenris Hidey-hide here

Night Sorrow Screamy!

Night Sorrow [attacking Travis] Shrieking Call Cone Affliction

--Dodge DC 20, Toughness DC 25

Nyght Blasty!

Nyght [attacking Travis] Living Darkness vs DC 18 – 6+7 = 13, Miss

Nyght [attacking Travis – EXTRA EFFORT] Darkness Finds Darkness vs DC 18 – 7+7 = 14, Miss [Homing]

Nyght [attacking Travis] Darkness Finds Darkness vs DC 18 – 16+7 = 23, Hit

--Damage DC 27

Mary turtling here

Seeker copy-talky here

Lamia talky here

Prime boldly running away here [moved a total of five miles]

Fahren burny here

Soldiers (6 currently – these are minions and have partial cover, enjoy)

S-1 [attacking Farhenheit] Assault Rifles vs DC 20 –16+5 = 21, Immune

S-2 [attacking Farhenheit] Assault Rifles vs DC 20 – 6+5 = 11

S-3 [attacking Farhenheit] Assault Rifles vs DC 20 – 14+5 = 19

S-4 [attacking Farhenheit] Assault Rifles vs DC 20 – 18+5 = 23, Immune

S-5 [trapped]

S-6 [attacking Farhenheit] Assault Rifles vs DC 20 – 4+5 = 9

RR #1 [attacking Farhenheit] Electrical Cannon vs DC 20 – 15+6 = 21, Hit

--Damage DC 23

RR #2 [attacking Farhenheit] Electrical Cannon vs DC 20 – 11+6 = 17, Miss

RR #3 [attacking Farhenheit] Electrical Cannon vs DC 20 – 16+6 = 22, Hit

--Damage DC 23

RR #4 [attacking Farhenheit] Electrical Cannon vs DC 20 – 15+6 = 21, Hit

--Damage DC 23

RR #5 [attacking Travis] Electrical Cannon vs DC 18 – 18+6 = 24, Hit

--Damage DC 23

NPC Conditions
Strike is Incapacitated [staggered x3, -3 Toughness]

Cancel is Incapacitated [staggered, -3 Toughness]

Prime is -1 Toughness

RR #1 is Staggered, -3 Toughness

RR #3 is -1 Toughness

RR #4 is Dazed, -2 Toughness

PC Required Rolls
Farhenheit spent an HP

Travis has to make a Dodge vs DC 20, then a Toughness Save DC 20 or 25

Travis has to make a Toughness check vs DC 27

Travis has to make a Toughness check vs DC 23

Farhenheit has to make a Toughness check vs DC 23

Also – the backup team is five miles from the main fight.

It all happened so fast. One moment Travis was bearing down on Prime, doing his best to keep up and try to slow the man up and grab Cancel. Instead he flew directly into an ambush. A sonic attack made Travis stop short, drawing to a halt on his flying slab even as he clutched at his ears in pain. So engrossed by the attack he completely missed the other mutants and the roboblip until it was nearly too late. He dodged as best he could, but the lightning cannon of the roboblip caught him, nearly spinning him off his platform, and leaving his muscles jerking and twitching with a life of their own. Seeing that he was now outnumbered by four to one Travis swore revenge as he watched Prime disappear into the distance. With a heave of kinetic energy he sprang back into motion, flying a full two miles along his back trail, and leaving the ambush team alone in the night once more.

Tavis am teh payne :(

[jameson] 8:00 am: OK Travids Dodge +8 vs DC 20

jameson *rolls* 1d20: 16+8: 24

[Joani] 8:01 am: pass!

[jameson] 8:01 am: Toughness +0 :cry: Fortitude +9 vs DC 20

jameson *rolls* 1d20: 2: 2 +9 = 11

[Joani] 8:01 am: Fahrenheit will need three 20s to make her Toughness checks

[jameson] 8:01 am: Hero Point!

[Joani] 8:01 am: ouch

jameson *rolls* 1d20: 17: 17 +9 = 26

[jameson] 8:01 am: better

[Joani] 8:02 am: better

Saved for no effect.

[jameson] 8:03 am: Toughness -1 vs DC 23

jameson *rolls* 1d20: 2-1: 1

[jameson] 8:03 am: :banghead:

[jameson] 8:03 am: spending last Hero Point

jameson *rolls* 1d20: 8-1: 7

[jameson] 8:04 am: result is a 17, fail by 6, injured (-2) and dazed

[Joani] 8:07 am: ouch

[Joani] 8:07 am: well - I'll be in similar trouble

[jameson] 8:07 am: :(:cry:

[Joani] 8:07 am: are you done with your Magi-rolls?

[jameson] 8:07 am: Dawn is mean

[jameson] 8:08 am: I am, thankx

Notes:

2 HP spent

I did not roll vs. Nyght's attack because it had not hit yet (and with any luck I can get out of range before it hits me next turn).

RUN AWAY!!

Move Action: Lost to Dazed Condition(s)

Std Action: Converting to Move Action: FLEEING!! Flight 10 -1 rank for Fatigue = 2 miles away (and well out of range of that homing attack! Suck it Nyght!)

By my count that should put Travis somewhere between the battle and Prime's little backup dancers, a couple miles from either of them.

Free Actions: cursing, bleeding, maintaining

End of round - recovers from Dazed (damage cond.)

HPs: 2-2 = 0 +1 for being ambushed = 1

Cond: injured (-2 toughness) & Fatigued (from EE last round)

Fahrenheit cursed her weakened state as she saw the Rapid Responders withstanding her flames and blinded by her rage she just stood there to take in their retaliation. Lightning struck her making her twitch and stagger backwards almost stunning her. The angel of fire stared for another second into the distance where the traitorous mutant had taken Dr. Silberman into safety and cursed her luck. He escaped... for now but she would have her revenge.

Her mighty wings of fire spread out and she made a slight backwards dive towards the line of trees which have not been affected by Travis’ spectacular attack. Once she was fairly in cover she remained floating there setting the first trees within reach in fire with a smile on her face – once the battlefield was working to her benefit she would vanquish her foes. The thought alone made her giddy with anticipation.

Rolls and Actions

Condition: Staggered and Toughness saves -4 (Wounded)

HP: 0 (2 spent this round)

Free Action: Maintaining Body of Fire

Move Action: retreating to the trees (Flight 6 – 1800 Feet per Round) and setting them on fire.

Rolls:

[Joani] 2:11 pm: alright - lets get through this

[Joani] 2:11 pm: first roll

Joani *rolls* 1d20: 2+3: 5

[Joani] 2:11 pm: HP!

Joani *rolls* 1d20: 4+3: 7

[Joani] 2:11 pm: 17 if I'm right?

[Joani] 2:12 pm: that's a fail by 6, DC was 23

[jameson] 2:12 pm: correct

[Joani] 2:12 pm: so I'm taking a wound and am dazed?

[jameson] 2:12 pm: yes

[Joani] 2:13 pm: next roll is at Toughness -2 then

Joani *rolls* 1d20: 17+2: 19

[Joani] 2:13 pm: good

[Joani] 2:13 pm: failed by 4

[jameson] 2:13 pm: fail by 4, another 01

[Joani] 2:13 pm: that's just a wound, right?

[jameson] 2:13 pm: -1 even

[Joani] 2:13 pm: then my last roll is at Toughness -3

[Joani] 2:13 pm: here we go

Joani *rolls* 1d20: 5+1: 6

[Joani] 2:14 pm: HP!

Joani *rolls* 1d20: 11+1: 12

[Joani] 2:14 pm: gnarf

[Joani] 2:14 pm: so that's a fail by 11

[Joani] 2:15 pm: I'm currently dazed and at -3 Toughness

[Joani] 2:15 pm: what adds a fail by 11?

[Joani] 2:15 pm: and I'm out of HPs

[jameson] 2:15 pm: wow

[jameson] 2:15 pm: are you currently staggered?

[jameson] 2:17 pm: if not you will become Staggered, if you -are- Staggered already you will go to Incapacitated

[jameson] 2:17 pm: a.k.a. knocked out

[Joani] 2:17 pm: no, I recovered my Staggered condition last round

[jameson] 2:18 pm: good thing then

[jameson] 2:18 pm: otherwise you'd be out of the fight

[Joani] 2:18 pm: so I'm staggered and how many wounds?

[jameson] 2:19 pm: Fail by 11 is Staggered and another -1

[jameson] 2:19 pm: so ... 4 wounds if I count right?

[Joani] 2:19 pm: ok - that means Staggered and -4 Toughness

[Joani] 2:19 pm: yes

Seeker was furious and his body tensed, reflecting that anger. How dare this outsider claim to be family, HOW DARE SHE! He was tensed and ready to strike the woman when the world turned upside down.

The ground beneath Seeker gave way; no, vanished, and he tumbled down into the bowl of a half sphere that had mysteriously appeared centered around the sculptor he’d foolishly ignored up until now. As he fell, the trees whach andn’t been disintegrated or vanished or whatever it was that had happened tumbled down with him buffeting and battering him as he finally came to a rest in the bowl.

He sat up and shook his head, trying to figure out what happened when a flicker at the edge of his mutant sense caught his attention. The enemy projector was on his way back and he remembered the words of his handler just before the mission Whatever happens out there, remember, you and Cancel are the most valuable assets on the field. If it looks like the mission is going south, get yourself out of there any way you can.

In that moment of clarity Seeker realized he was putting himself in too much jeopardy. He latched on to the incoming projector's powers and for the fourth time in minutes he felt the change come over him and Telekinetic power flooded through him. Lamia could see the change come over him as well, as his posture straightened out and the animalistic sheen left his eyes. His clothes and hair immediately went limp.

Seeker thrust his hands out towards the kid and his unconscious form rose into the air and floated into his arms. He gazed around at the devastation. “So, this is what you do with your freedom? “ He said contemptuously.

[Jordan] 11:35 am: Perception Roll

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 20+4: 24

[Jordan] 11:36 am: WooTness!

[jameson] 11:36 am: that's a 29

[jameson] 11:36 am: very nice

[Jordan] 11:37 am: a 29?

[jameson] 11:37 am: Yeah

[jameson] 11:37 am: 20's get a +5

[Jordan] 11:37 am: Ah! I only thought combat criticals got a bonus

[jameson] 11:38 am: ok, technically they get an extra degree of success, but that is the same as a +5

Standard Action: Copying Travis' power.

Extra Effort for standard Action 2: Grbbing Strike with TK

Move Action: Negated by Dazed condition.

Free Action: Thinking, bitching and detecting.

Move Object roll to wrest Strike from the clutches of the cwazy mutants...

[Jordan] 1:41 am: Strength Check - Move Object

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 11+7: 18

Just leaving this here so people can see my rollage

:)

[Jordan] 10:19 am: okay, Falling Toughness Save...this could really hurt.

[jameson] 10:19 am: *crunch* Ow, my spleen!

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 7+4: 11

[Jeremy] 10:19 am: ouch

[Jordan] 10:19 am: fail by 3...

[jameson] 10:19 am: fail by 8

[Jordan] 10:20 am: Oh shit yea

[Jordan] 10:20 am: So -1 Toughness and Dazed.

[Carver-working] 10:20 am: Blame Mary!

[jameson] 10:20 am: now ... dodge the falling ents!

[jameson] 10:20 am: DC 16

[Jordan] 10:21 am: Dodging the clumsy Ents!

[Jordan] 10:21 am: /d1d20+7

[Jordan] 10:21 am: Warning ! Only IRC subset can be used (Type /? or /help for list of IRC commands)

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 13+7: 20

[Jordan] 10:21 am: Yay!

[Jeremy] 10:21 am: Last March... of the Ents

[Carver-working] 10:21 am: I kinda wanna see this fight on a movie screen.

[jameson] 10:21 am: pass, DC 18 Ent Damage

[Jordan] 10:21 am: Toughness Save vrs DC 18...

[Jeremy] 10:22 am: Carv: This game needs to be a movie

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 15+4: 19

[Jordan] 10:22 am: *whew*

[Jeremy] 10:22 am: technically that's a +3... you still pass

[stargaizer] 10:22 am: I happen to have video production and editing training.

[jameson] 10:22 am: @Carv - unfortunately Mary's WTFHS action is going to make me abort what I had planned for next turn I think

[stargaizer] 10:22 am: with enough budget I could make this a movie...

[Jordan] 10:22 am: Oh crap....no I don't cause I already had -2... fuck!

[Jordan] 10:23 am: so I am at -4 Tougghness and Dazed...

[jameson] 10:23 am: so you actually fail by 1?

[Jordan] 10:23 am: ouch.

[jameson] 10:23 am: heheh

[jameson] 10:23 am: Danger: Falling Ents

[Carver-working] 10:23 am: You're still able to move.

[Jeremy] 10:23 am: you already had -2 when you were failing?

[Carver-working] 10:24 am: Jor: Is he going to make the grab for Strike?

[Jeremy] 10:24 am: *falling

[Jordan] 10:24 am: Seeker is brained by a tree while sitting in a dirt bowl wonder what the fuck just happened...

[Jordan] 10:24 am: What are the effects of Dazed again?

[jameson] 10:24 am: lose your move action

[Jeremy] 10:24 am: if you already had -2 while falling, you failed by 10 and thus got Staggered, you know

[Jordan] 10:24 am: Jeremy - Yeah, I forgot...

[jameson] 10:24 am: for your next turn

[jameson] 10:24 am: WRONG!

[Jordan] 10:25 am: Oh crap.

[Jeremy] 10:25 am: you can only take a move action OR a staggered action

[jameson] 10:25 am: Fail by 10 is still 2 degrees

[Jeremy] 10:25 am: standard action

[jameson] 10:25 am: need to fail by 11 to get Staggered

[Jeremy] 10:25 am: Jim: By 3 degrees

[Carver-working] 10:25 am: Jer: Jim is right. Shut up.

[Jordan] 10:25 am: *whew*

[Jeremy] 10:25 am: Jim: Every increment of 5 is a new dehree

[Jeremy] 10:25 am: *degree

[Carver-working] 10:25 am: I mean that in a fairly friendly way, but seriously. You're wrong. Check the book.

[Jordan] 10:26 am: so 1 to 5 is 1 degree, 2 to 10 is 2 degrees

[jameson] 10:26 am: 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, etc

[Jordan] 10:26 am: cool

As Fahrenheit retreated, the soldiers advanced, smelling the sweetest scent of all; napalm. No! Victory! Of course, their mutants had largely been driven from the field too, but the exosuited rapid responders had performed beyond all expectations. The metal pillbox the girl had put herself inside was watched, but didn't seem to be doing anything, so the fight went on.

Until, suddenly, the 'pillbox' was gone.

Two of the soldiers were watching it, and raised their rifles at the now-exposed girl who stood in its place.

She didn't look great. Sweat made her hair lank around her face, and she was a bit pale from shock and blood loss. Crimson roses stained her blouse and jeans. Glancing hits, she could still stand, and didn't seem to be bleeding out...but she was hurt.

The soldiers didn't know why she'd come out, and didn't even ask themselves. Another well-placed hit, and the enemy would be down a soldier. Shots rang out.

The bullets never reached their target.

Something was blooming around her; something invisible blossoming out in a rough sphere that could be seen not in and of itself, but via its effects on the things around it. Where it touched, things ceased to be.

A bowl formed in the earth under her, expanding out with only a pillar left untouched for her to stand on. The bullets swarming through the air towards her were unzipped and vanished like mirages. The soldiers didn't even have time to call warning before they were engulfed in the wave of change. The earth beneath their feet thinned to dust and then to nothing, sending them sprawling. The guns in their hands and grenades on their belts faded away, then the belts too, and the rest of their clothing and gear. Two had fillings, one had pins in his leg. Though their flesh was untouched, none of those trinkets survived.

The ground roiled, the air roared. Dust and gravel reared up; thrown as the surface convulsed, but then vanished as fast as everything else. It was a tiny apocalypse; the unmaking of a miniscule corner of Creation.

In the end, Mary stood, hunched and panting from fear and pain and effort, in the center of a rough sphere a good 120 feet or so across. A sphere measured not by the presence of something, but by the absence. From the bottom rose a thin pillar of dirt and rock that she stood on. Around it were the soldiers, lying in a pile of beetles and worms and other nasty little critters that had been hiding in the soil until the soil stopped existing.

She moaned in renewed pain and went to her knee as the backlash hit; raw data about everything her powers had erased. From the latex of the condom buried by a tree, to complex explosives in the soldier's grenades, it all slammed into her mind like a fastball pitch.

If she'd missed anything; if anyone still had a weapon to spare, or a rapid responder was in range, she'd be all but defenseless...

Action: Using Extra Effort to stunt an AE off of her destruction ability. 62 points. The power is as follows:

Weaken Toughness +10 (Works on Objects Only, No range, Area 2) 3pp/rank for 30pp.

Damage +10 (Works on Objects Only, Selective Attack, No range, Area 2) 3pp/rank for 30pp.

All objects (which I think does include the plants, but that's a GM call...) within 60' suffer -10 to their Toughness, then suffer a Damage effect of DC 25, based on their adjusted Toughness. Equipment doesn't get the benefit of its owner's defenses, if I understand correctly, while items bought as powers do. Objects that CAN defend (using possessor's defense) use Fortitude defense.

Not spending hero point to mitigate Fatigue, by the way. Figure I may need it if those RR's are in firing distance. :)

Damage DC from the fall into the pit is 21.

She felt the earth give way beneath her and she launched herself in an awkward lurch over the unconscious boy as everyone began to tumble into the spherical sinkhole. She wasn't sure what was happening, but the boy couldn't protect himself from it and that left it to her keep him from getting crushed or smothered. Memories buried in the haze of years resurfaced with painful clarity; she did her best to gather the boy to her and shield him from the worst of the falling debris.

Mechanics
[Malachite] 9:22 pm: Lamia's rolls:

Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 3+5: 8 vs DC 19, -1 & Staggered

Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 13+5: 18 vs DC 16, pass

Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 9+5-1: 13 vs DC 19, -2 & Staggered (total)

Conditions: -2 to Toughness Checks, Staggered (Free Actions and 1 other Action, movement at -1 speed rank), and Fatigued.

Grabbing Strike vs Seeker's Parry

[Malachite] 10:03 pm: Lamia -

Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 2+10: 12

Malachite grumbles.

[Malachite] 10:04 pm: HP roll:

Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 17+10: 27 vs 17, so Strike is now defenseless, immobile, and impaired.

Actually 25 from redacting the EE.

[Malachite-working] 3:41 pm: Lamia failing miserably:

Malachite-working *rolls* 1d20: 4+5: 9

HP: 2 (2 at the start, 1 gained, 1 spent)

“Prime, take the ladies.” The soldier had at first felt uneasy ordering these powerful people around, but they always did as they were told. Of course, he knew it was the silver collar around their necks that guaranteed that obedience. He was now used to it. “Go as a group with Nyght and Night Sorrow.

It all happened so fast. One moment Travis was bearing down on Prime, doing his best to keep up and try to slow the man up and grab Cancel. Instead he flew directly into an ambush. A sonic attack made Travis stop short, drawing to a halt on his flying slab even as he clutched at his ears in pain. So engrossed by the attack he completely missed the other mutants and the roboblip until it was nearly too late. He dodged as best he could, but the lightning cannon of the roboblip caught him, nearly spinning him off his platform, and leaving his muscles jerking and twitching with a life of their own. Seeing that he was now outnumbered by four to one Travis swore revenge as he watched Prime disappear into the distance. With a heave of kinetic energy he sprang back into motion, flying a full two miles along his back trail, and leaving the ambush team alone in the night once more.

The feral mutant moved deeper into the woods. He was gravely hurt and needed to heal, and so he disappeared into the trees without as much as a whisper of sound.

As Fahrenheit retreated, the soldiers advanced, smelling the sweetest scent of all; napalm. No! Victory! Of course, their mutants had largely been driven from the field too, but the exosuited rapid responders had performed beyond all expectations. The metal pillbox the girl had put herself inside was watched, but didn't seem to be doing anything, so the fight went on.

Until, suddenly, the 'pillbox' was gone.

Two of the soldiers were watching it, and raised their rifles at the now-exposed girl who stood in its place.

She didn't look great. Sweat made her hair lank around her face, and she was a bit pale from shock and blood loss. Crimson roses stained her blouse and jeans. Glancing hits, she could still stand, and didn't seem to be bleeding out...but she was hurt.

The soldiers didn't know why she'd come out, and didn't even ask themselves. Another well-placed hit, and the enemy would be down a soldier. Shots rang out.

The bullets never reached their target.

Something was blooming around her; something invisible blossoming out in a rough sphere that could be seen not in and of itself, but via its effects on the things around it. Where it touched, things ceased to be.

A bowl formed in the earth under her, expanding out with only a pillar left untouched for her to stand on. The bullets swarming through the air towards her were unzipped and vanished like mirages. The soldiers didn't even have time to call warning before they were engulfed in the wave of change. The earth beneath their feet thinned to dust and then to nothing, sending them sprawling. The guns in their hands and grenades on their belts faded away, then the belts too, and the rest of their clothing and gear. Two had fillings, one had pins in his leg. Though their flesh was untouched, none of those trinkets survived.

The ground roiled, the air roared. Dust and gravel reared up; thrown as the surface convulsed, but then vanished as fast as everything else. It was a tiny apocalypse; the unmaking of a miniscule corner of Creation.

In the end, Mary stood, hunched and panting from fear and pain and effort, in the center of a rough sphere a good 120 feet or so across. A sphere measured not by the presence of something, but by the absence. From the bottom rose a thin pillar of dirt and rock that she stood on. Around it were the soldiers, lying in a pile of beetles and worms and other nasty little critters that had been hiding in the soil until the soil stopped existing.

She moaned in renewed pain and went to her knee as the backlash hit; raw data about everything her powers had erased. From the latex of the condom buried by a tree, to complex explosives in the soldier's grenades, it all slammed into her mind like a fastball pitch.

If she'd missed anything; if anyone still had a weapon to spare, or a rapid responder was in range, she'd be all but defenseless.

Seeker was furious and his body tensed, reflecting that anger. How dare this outsider claim to be family, HOW DARE SHE! He was tensed and ready to strike the woman when the world turned upside down.

The ground beneath Seeker gave way; no, vanished, and he tumbled down into the bowl of a half sphere that had mysteriously appeared centered around the sculptor he’d foolishly ignored up until now. As he fell, the trees whach andn’t been disintegrated or vanished or whatever it was that had happened tumbled down with him buffeting and battering him as he finally came to a rest in the bowl.

He sat up and shook his head, trying to figure out what happened when a flicker at the edge of his mutant sense caught his attention. The enemy projector was on his way back and he remembered the words of his handler just before the mission Whatever happens out there, remember, you and Cancel are the most valuable assets on the field. If it looks like the mission is going south, get yourself out of there any way you can.

In that moment of clarity Seeker realized he was putting himself in too much jeopardy. He latched on to the incoming projector's powers and for the fourth time in minutes he felt the change come over him and Telekinetic power flooded through him. Lamia could see the change come over him as well, as his posture straightened out and the animalistic sheen left his eyes. His clothes and hair immediately went limp.

Seeker thrust his hands out towards the kid and his unconscious form rose into the air and floated toward the flying mutant. He gazed around at the devastation. “So, this is what you do with your freedom? “ He said contemptuously.

When Lamia felt the earth give way beneath her and she launched herself in an awkward lurch over the unconscious boy as everyone began to tumble into the spherical sinkhole. She wasn't sure what was happening, but the boy couldn't protect himself from it and that left it to her keep him from getting crushed or smothered. Memories buried in the haze of years resurfaced with painful clarity; she did her best to gather the boy to her and shield him from the worst of the falling debris.

It was a rude shock when the kid started to rise into the air; desperately, she grabbed for him before the enemy stole her child. Instinctively she grabbed him, holding him tight. “This is what I do with my freedom,” she informed the enemy. “I save my children, and you will not have him.”

Despite her brave and desperate words, Strike was torn from her grasp.

Initiatives
Gemini – 26

Travis – 22

Fenris – 22

Night Sorrow – 18

Nyght - 18

Mary – 18

Seeker – 14

Lamia – 13

Prime – 12

Fahrenheit – 6

Soldiers – 6

Rapid Responders (4) – 3

NPC Damage Checks
MARY DESTROY!!

RR #1 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 8-1 = 7, Fail [by 14, Three degrees, Staggered x2 > Incapacitated]

RR #2 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 1+2 = 3, Fail [by 18, Four degrees, Incapacitated]

RR #3 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 12+1 = 13, Fail [by 8, Two degrees, Dazed]

RR #4 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 9+0 = 9, Fail [by 12, Three degrees, Staggered]

S #1 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 3+2 = 5, Fail [by 16, Four degrees, Dying]

S #2 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 13+2 = 15, Fail [by 6, Two degrees, Dazed]

S #3 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 2+2 = 4, Fail [by 17, Four degrees, Dying]

S #4 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 20+2 = 22, Pass!

S #5 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 17+2 = 19, Fail [by 2, One degree, -1 Toughness]

S #6 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 7+2 = 9, Fail [by 12, Three degrees, Staggered]

RR #1 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – Fail, Incapacitated

RR #1 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 7-2 = 5, Fail [by 16, Dying]

RR #2 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – Fail, Incapacitated

RR #2 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 3+1 = 4, Fail [by 17, Dying]

RR #3 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – 9+2 = 11, Fail

RR #3 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 9+0 = 9, Fail [by 12, Three degrees, Staggered]

RR #4 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – 14+2 = 16, Pass

RR #4 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 18 – 12-1 = 11, Fail [by 7, Two degrees, Dazed]

S #1 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – 16+5 = 21, Pass

S #1 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 18 – 5+1 = 6

S #2 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – 6+5 = 11, Fail

S #2 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 17+1 = 18

S #3 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – 9+5 = 14, Fail

S #3 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 6+1 = 7

S #4 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – 9+5 = 14, Fail

S #4 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 21 – 6+2 = 8

S #5 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – 18+5 = 23, Pass

S #5 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 18 – 16+1 = 17

S #6 [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 16 – 14+5 = 19, Pass

S #6 [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 18 – 11+1 = 12

Strike [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 17 – 2+0 = 2

Strike [attacked by Mary] Dodge Save vs DC 14 – Fail, Incapacitated

Strike [attacked by Mary] Toughness Save vs DC 19 – 10-1 = 9

Combat Rolls

NPC Conditions
Strike is Dying [staggered x3, -5 Toughness]

Cancel is Incapacitated [staggered, -3 Toughness]

RR #1 is Dying, -5 Toughness

RR #2 is Dying, -2 Toughness

RR #3 is Dazed, Staggered, -3 Toughness

RR #4 is Dazed, Staggered, -4 Toughness

S #1 is Dying, -1 Toughness

S #2 is Dazed, -1 Toughness

S #3 is Dying, -1 Toughness

S #5 is -1 Toughness

S #6 is Staggered, -1 Toughness

PC Required Rolls
Travis spent 2 HP and gained 1

Lamia spent 2 HP

Travis sped through the night, covering the distance back to the cabin in the blink of an eye. Halfway to between the ambush and the cabin a kind of energy washed over him, pulling a ghostly image of himself out and drawing it away, back toward the cabin. Though Travis did not feel weaker he was certain that this was the act of the leech that had been with Cancel. Fury knotted Travis' brow as he sped onward, now with a deep need to teach the mutant that stealing his powers was not a tolerable action.

The remaining miles disappeared in an instant but where Travis expected to find the ruins of the cabin there was only a massive wound in the earth filled with trees and people. In the center Mary knelt on a single pillar of earth that jutted precariously into the sky some sixty feet from the center of the crater. Travis noted her presence, and it occurred to him that her location in the center of devastation likely indicated her role, but he dismissed the information in a cold fury. Nobody stole his powers and got away with it.

At the shallow edge of the crater he saw the leech, clearly floating on a platform of earth and wood, flaunting the powers that he had stolen. Lamia was there as well clutching the boy and pulling against some invisible force. Travis' eyes narrowed and his vision went near red. Not only had the leech stole his powers, and was flaunting the, he was using them against one of his own.

Travis flew in low, still moving like a bullet. Striking out at the other mutant with kinetic energy fueled by the rage that he had been unable to exhaust on Cancel. This other mutant would suffer the fury of Travis' endless anger. Howling, Travis struck out over and over, the tactile feeling of each strike only making the attacks more satisfying. "Nobody takes my powers leech! NOBODY!!" he screamed as he attacked the other man.

A flicker of power as Travis finally came to a halt tore newly exposed rocks and broken tree limbs from the ground, creating anew his shield of protective debris. He could ill afford to risk some other mutant intervening and catching him off guard has had happened only moments before.

Puttin the Hurt on the Leech
Free Actions: maintaining, getting pissed again, thinking WTF a few dozen times, & percieving [jameson *rolls* 1d20: 11: 11 +14 =25 should be enough to make things out as he goes]

Move Action: Flight 10 -1 rank for Fatigue = 2 miles back to the cabin

Standard Action: Attacking Seeker!

Telekinetic Mastery: Perception Ranged Damaging Move Object 10 (24 tons) (Precise, Subtle 2) → DC 25 damage check

Extra Effort: SURGE!

Telekinetic Mastery: Perception Ranged Damaging Move Object 10 (24 tons) (Precise, Subtle 2) → DC 25 damage check

Extraordinary Effort: SURGE!

yeah, that's 3x DC 25 damage hits - suck it you traitorous leech :bash:

Free Action (@end of round): swapping from fast flight to protection & flight

Spending 1 HP to negate 1 rank of Fatigue.

Travis will take 2 ranks of fatigue at the start of his next turn and become Exhausted.

HPs: 1 -1 = 0

Cond.: injured (-2 toughness)

As Travis’s powers pounded into Seeker without mercy, he lost his grip on consciousness – and Strike. Lamia barely had a chance to start to cry out in rage and loss when Strike fell again, into her outstretched arms.

Seeker fell out of the sky and hit the ground, crashing through a nest of branches from a fallen tree. There was a long moment of silence on the battlefield as the combatants sought more active enemies and found none. But Travis knew that the others would be only seconds behind.

Combat is OVER.

Some of the trees in the pit are catching fire, thanks to Farhen. It will become the world’s biggest campfire in about 10 minutes.

Notes: Seeker isn’t dead. He’s nearly dead.

Strike isn’t dead either.

But the RR’s and Soldiers are either dead, injured or pretending to be so that the mutants don’t hurt them anymore.

Travis gets an HP for the “stolen kill”, as does Mary.

Thanks, guys, it was a HELL of a fight.

Someone needs to call Tyrone for extraction; yes, you were told to do this and it doesn't matter who does it. Please just move so taht we don't start another fight with the incoming enemies following Travis.

Lamia nearly lost her balance again on the tumble of trees when the boy fell. She picked her way carefully to the edge of the crater and laid him on the grass, taking a brief moment to check that he was still breathing, then fished out the 'cellphone' John had given her before they left. She pressed the button she'd been shown and waited to hear a voice from it.

"Ready?" Tyrone's voice was tight and focused.

"Yes. I will need to convince my daughter and we have two wounded with us. They were with the others, one is a child, the other is an enemy. Both are like us, and we might get information from the enemy, if nothing else." He tone was clipped but tired and he could hear a grunt as she pulled the man she'd been fighting with on to solid ground as well. The flicker of flames and Mary's pillar caught her attention. "Also, the area will be on fire."

"Heh. Used to that one by now." She could hear his grin over the phone, "Be there in just a sec."

With both enemy soldiers on solid ground, she called out to Travis, "Get Mary, we're leaving soon."

"Sekhmet," she called out louder in a language so old it existed only in reference and sculpture now. She pitched her voice to carry, "Come, daughter of Neith and Re! It is time to leave this place! Our enemies are vanquished or fled and a god of dark portals comes to take us to a sanctuary. There will be other battles to burn, my daughter."

Fahrenheit watched the battle with conflicting emotions. Part of her enjoyed the devastation and vanquishing of her foes but what she had come for fled too soon. For a moment she considered burning everything down in her wake, the idea was very tempting and she needed some kind of release because what she was given was but just a taste of something much greater.

Flames of wrath gathered around her setting everything in her vicinity on fire when she heard her mother's voice...

Sekhmet... She remembered that name. It was... ages ago she heard it spoken in her native tongue. Mother?... This time a spark of hope flared inside her fighting down all the anger and hatred.

"Mother?", she responded in the same tongue as she approached the assembled mutants on wings of fire.

Lamia nodded and smiled, "It is me, my childe...", she spoke and even though the language was foreign everyone could sense the bond these two mutants were sharing.

"I... where?", Fahrenheit struggled to find the right words, "Why?", was all she managed to ask, the flames around her were dying, retreating back inside her. The fire-angel was crimsoned skinned now but it looked as if the flames were dancing underneath her skin, waiting to be released in a blink of an eye. She looked at the others with indifference, as if she didn't care about them or as if something else had numbed her. The fight was seeping out of her and since her anger didn't find the proper conduit to be released it was channeled into different emotions. Emotions she hasn't felt for a very long time.

Fahrenheit reached out for her mother and then embraced her, clutching her tightly and then started to weep softly. "I hate them.", she spoke in the ancient tongue between sobs, "I hate them so much..."

If this was another of Dr. Silberman's traps she didn't care. Her mother was sacred to her and if this wasn't real, she might aswell have lost her sanity...

Travis' expression somehow found a way to sour even further. The leech was quite obviously on the edge of death, but remained living, and now Lamia wanted to take him with them. "This one should be allowed to die," he muttered, loudly enough to be heard clearly. "He is nothing but a traitor."

Even as he spoke he lifted Mary with surprising gentleness and brought her to the edge of the crater. "You did good kid," he said, surveying the area, looking for Fenris. The other mutant bound out of the forest and rejoined them. Travis gave him a tight nod, he had fought well, even if Travis found his willingness to flee to hiding distasteful. "Mary, we could use another disc, if you can. There are more traitors only a few miles that way." Travis scowled, he hated running, "Much as I would rather stay and fight, we have what we came for, or will shortly." He gestured to Lamia and the fire clad mutant.

When Travis picked Mary up, she was still in a daze, hands over her temples. She looked at him blankly, then down at the ground below. Her eyes focused on the wrecked trees, the sprawled bodies. She didn't even cry out when he accidentally brushed her bullet wound.

Dully, she made a disc of granite on the ground, thick and dark; flecked with white chips. Surface and edges surgically precise and flat.

"You should leave me," Mary said softly as the others stepped on board. "I shouldn't go back with you."

"Tyrone is making a way home for us," Lamia said gently. She didn't mention the unconscious one Travis wanted dead, starting an argument about it wasn't going to help the situation. Killing him would certainly be simpler, but he might also have useful information or at least knowledge about others they would face. He was a war prisoner now; Lamia's declaration to Tyrone that she wanted to bring in both of them meant that they were now her responsibility. Not that she held any illusions about being able to keep him alive if Travis decided to kill him.

She sighed, feeling an old frustration stir in her heart. She was the immortal Mother of the Gods, but she was not like them. She lived and died and lived again only as the Mother - never a goddess of power like her children. But then, life was not made to be fair. It simply was. And, she reminded herself, it's not as if there are not other kinds of power to be had in the world, and I have tasted most of them. Stop moping. You were never so mean or base as to warrant pity.

She held her mercurial daughter close, wrapping her arms around the woman and murmured softly in the old tongue, assuring her that they would have their revenge and that Sekhmet's enemies would burn to ash, just as they had Khem. Her eyes flicked up in confusion at Mary's declaration and she switched back to English, still holding Sekhmet and gently rubbing her back. "Why would we leave you?" Her brow knit together and her lips pulled into a frown, "Are you going back to DEHA? Why?"

"Because," Mary said, the words sticking in her throat as tears brimmed in her eyes. "They were right about me. Look what I did." She flapped a hand behind her, unable to even glance back. "They should have kept me where no one would ever find me. Or even just...not at all."

"I could do it again. At the pyramid. Or...anywhere. I just hurt so much, and...I just wanted it to be gone, I wanted it all to be gone..."

The tears were falling when she looked up to meet Lamia's eyes.

"What if next time that actually happens? What if next time it ALL goes away? Everything."

Lamia regarded the girl cooly for a moment and replied with a level, "Then you must learn to make sure it doesn't." After a heartbeat, she went on, "Look around you, Mary. You did this out of fear and pain, and yet....we are still here. Even panicked, you held to yourself enough not to unmake everyone and everything around you."

She glanced down at the expanding bowl of fire and gave a slight shrug. "Next time, you will be more careful and more precise. To expect perfection at all times is to court madness, child. You defeated your enemies and are alive. That is the best to be hoped for once violence has begun."

"Bah. Don't be silly. This is nothing to be ashamed of. You have power, you should not fear to use it." Travis flicked a hand, raising a stone into the air. His fist clenched and the stone cracked and crumbled. "They taught you fear your powers, but you shouldn't. Your powers are what make you better than they." He looked to the sky, "We should go now, unless you all wish to face still other traitorous mutant dogs of the DEHA."

Mary hesitated...but in the end she stepped onto the platform too. She couldn't articulate everything she was feeling. It was still all completely mixed up, and some of it was stuff she didn't even know how to explain to herself, let alone someone else.

But she was too much of a coward to go back. As much as she feared what she'd done, she feared death more. She feared imprisonment more. She'd tasted something more and couldn't go back.

If she destroyed the world...maybe at least she could remake it. Maybe.

Lamia gently guided Sekhmet over to the platform, then went back for the two unconcious enemies, before taking up her own place on the smooth metal. She crouched next to the boy and the one she'd been fighting with, holding them steady in case of any bumps or slides during the flight.

She smiled softly at her daughter. "It is a good thing, to behold you again, daughter of the flames," she said in Sekhmet's native tongue as they flew. "It will be a good thing to be in our haven and talk of what we shall do to those that have parted us for so many years."

The air around Fahrenheit was cooling off quickly and with it her crimson skin paled. She looked at her mother her eyes bright open but her face somewhat distorted as if she was suffocating. Fahrenheit tried to focus, to stay present but after the sudden turn of events she wasn’t prepared to meet her mother – she barely remembered the last time she saw and spoke to her – so much has happened since then. So much pain she had to endure to survive but it also nurtured her fury.

All the anger had left her now, the adrenaline was quickly spent and all that was left was her hatred and a growing numbness inside her. She knew that her time was limited and without another focus for her fury she had trouble staying in control.

“Dr. Silberman has put a curse on me... mother.”, she spoke in english now forcing the words out and slowly dropping to her knees.

“I’m fading... he turned me into a mortal woman...”, Lamia could see the fire die in her daughter's eyes – and then it was gone. In her place knelt a woman, pale skinned, dark brown hair and brown eyes with hazel sparks – her face was familiar – like Sekhmet’s but nothing else reminded her of her daughter.

The young woman blinked several times and then suddenly jerked backwards.

“What happened? Where am I?”, she looked around with panic in her eyes. Then she screamed

“No... nooo noooo noooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”

Lamia blinked as her daughter changed in front of her, becoming some alien woman wearing her face. "Mary," she said sharply, "make sure the prisoners don't fall off."

She shifted to pull the woman who was and wasn't Sekhmet into her arms, restraining her just enough to make sure that she didn't flail herself off the disk in her panic. She tried to soothe her with gentle words and touches, but the girl continued to scream. So Lamia-who-was-once-Nieth tried another tactic that had been necessary when Sekhmet had been a young child: she slapped her hard across the face.

"You're going to give yourself a headache screaming like that, and annoy the rest of it." Her tone was stern, powerful and motherly. "Now, explain yourself. My daughter says you are curse placed on her by a Dr. Silberman. Do you remember who you are? Your name? Who I am?"

At first there was no understanding. Sascha wrapped her arms around her naked body and forced herself to stop screaming when she noticed the dominant voice of the woman standing just in front of her.

“Please... where is Dr. Silberman? Have I done it again? Is anyone hurt?”, she tried to look around and see what was actually going on but couldn’t make any sense of it.

“You’re not one of Dr. Silberman’s assisstants?”, there was fear in her question. But she also heard the questions Lamia had spoken and she didn’t want to get hurt if she didn’t answer. Rather submissively she gave answer like a trained pet.

“My name is Sascha Kindler... I’m Dr. Silberman’s patient – he treats my... my mental disorder. I’m... I’m possessed.”, she looked up to look at Lamia’s face and then shook her head. “I’ve never seen you before... please don’t hurt me. I’m sorry if anyone got hurt or even killed. That always happens when I wake up like this. I didn’t know there was another experiment. Dr. Silberman didn’t mention it...”, there was honest regret in her response and she fought with tears but was too scared to actually cry.

The platform rose into the air with nearly no feeling of inertia; it simply moved, gathering speed as Travis did. Travis frowned at the two still forms, and more so when the fiery woman descended to apparent humanity, screaming as she did. A wry smile pulled at Travis' mouth as Lamia bade Mary to ensure that the two traitors did not fall off the platform. It would have been easy, and it would have ended that threat and their traitorous lives, quickly.

Instead Travis grabbed the phone from Lamia and redialed. When it picked up he said, "We need somebody to remove some chips. Lamia has taken in a couple of traitors; as prisoners I suppose. I figured you should know before we compromised the church." Travis misnamed the temple in case the DEHA had somebody listening. He had no idea what those other mutants could do, and while he would rather have ended them as well he couldn't fight every fight on his own.

He closed the phone and sped up, bringing them low over the trees back to their initial staging point. He looked at the two captured traitors and wondered, if anybody would notice if he simply stopped the flow of blood to their brains.

Mary obediently makes a railing around the side of the disk, changing a circle of stone into something more like a vehicle. A mutant-powered air car, or a hint of what might be one. She seems torn between watching the touching scene between mother and daughter with more than a hint of wistfulness, and watching the spectacular view of the woods from the air.

Spectacular, of course, but for the evacuated sphere she'd left behind. She avoided looking at that. In the end she just closed her eyes entirely and enjoyed the feel of wind on her face.

Archived