Mutants & Masterminds - [Review] Power Profiles #20: Gravity Powers

GRR9320e_200.jpg

Power Profiles #20: Gravity Powers

Vitals: Published By Green Ronin • 6 pages • $0.99 • full color PDF

Descriptors, Countering & Features

Two weighty descriptors get some real heft to start off the profile. Discussion of Mass versus Weight is an important one as is the need for some effects to specify if they effect mass, or weight. Countering gets a larger than normal discussion covering the vast field of play that Gravity can impact as a descriptor, from the obvious to the perhaps less so. Two Features close out this section.

Offensive Powers

Seven powers covering eight effects; though one could easily knock two out as simple variations on a theme. Thankfully the Damage + Extra powers take up only a minimum of space leaving the remaining half page for the likes of Gravity Field, Singularity, and the amusingly named Upalanche. Gravity Field is especially useful since it discusses the mechanics of how to run the effect and suggests a possible Extra some GMs may wish to employ in their games.

Defensive Powers

Four powers for defense fill this short section. The most noteworthy effect is Gravitic Containment which uses a Nullify effect in a way that I don’t think I would have thought of on my own. Gravitic Immunity, Gravitic Shield, and Gravitic Deflection fill out the section with commonly used defensive effects.

Movement Powers

Seven powers cover all the bases pretty well. From Leaping and Flight based effects to uses of some of the Movement effects. The Free-Fall Adaptation power does raise the question of what sorts of penalties a GM ought to impose for micro-gravity environments. I realize that an extensive discussion of that sort is beyond the scope of the Power Profile paradigm (say that five times fast), but a sidebar might have been helpful here.

Utility Powers & Other Gravity Powers

Five powers are included in the final power section. Of note here is Artificial Gravity, which is based on Environment but with a new effect that I don’t think we have seen thus far. Other Power Profiles referenced are Magnetic, Earth, Kinetic, and Strength all of which have been released or hinted at previously. It’s not difficult to see the connection between Gravity and these other effects either directly (Gravity and Kinetic share many of the same effects), or indirectly (Earth powers being derived from manipulating the symbolic relationship between Gravity and the Earth.

Complications

Seven complications close out the profile and take up more than a page to do so. A good amount of time is spent discussing the possibilities for Accidents, Power Loss, Enemy, and Disability complications. The Responsibility complication, much like Accident, is rife with ideas for Gamemasters to exploit during sessions, or even as major plot points in an on-going campaign.

Closing Thoughts

I went into this product hoping that it wouldn't be too similar to the earlier Kinetic Powers Profile and was gladdened to see that while it retained many similar effects it was also able to stand on its own feet and feel like a worthy product. A handful of cleverly concealed nuggets of systemic data help to raise the bar on this product as well, providing precedent for GMs to use during their games. I would have liked a sidebar to discuss micro-gravity penalties, but this is an admittedly minor complaint. Overall a very strong product release.

Rating: 95%, A few weak spots prevent this from hitting a perfect score, but this is otherwise a very strong profile for players of all skill level.

Archived