Aberrant: The Infinity Hour - The Infinity Hour - an ItB Game

Titan

The Infinity Hour is an Aberrent adventure game for 4-6 players. It is set in the 'In the Beginning' Aberrent Universe, one month after N-Day. All characters must be new, and interested in working with a team. Mercenary, Teragen, or 'Not sure what the hell I've wandered into' characters should work well, but keep in mind that few, if any, factions bear any resemblance to their canon counterparts. This will be an unusual storyline, methinks, so I will not say much more than that it will not be an Aeon story, at least not directly. Characters will, as is usually my method, begin as baselines and we will roleplay eruption.

As before, any supplemental material from sourcebooks like 'New Flesh' or 'Forceful Personalities' can be used, just run it by me so I know what your plan for your character is. This is a perfect game to try out that 'Action Girl' or 'Danger Guy' concept you've had kicking around in your head, as the flavor should be 'Four Color Gritty'. Or that's how I see it. I would like something like a traditional team - Brick, Brain, Blaster, Shield (love you, Fantastic Four, mwaa!)- but please God more flesh than those tired old bones. Also, I would absolutely love someone to get into the Gadgeteer stuff. But, up to you.

If you have some interest, let me know here, then PM me a quick powerscheme/character concept.

So, that's my pitch.

Nice! Thanks for the quick response! All proposed concepts are fine with me, though Thomas and Dan might want to put their heads together to make sure there isn't too much overlap (as proposed, there doesn't seem to be, but just to make sure). So we have a brick, 2 brains, and what I would class as a 'scout' or 'face'. I'm almost tempted to stop there, but I would take up to 2 more, if the players had different or complementary concepts. The gadget rules I want to test out here are found in the 'NovaTech' download.

Joani - I love ItB, every time I think of a game it is in the ItB universe, but what made it great when it was great was the different stories going in all directions. That is fantastically interesting, but hard. It is a world reacting to the stories the players want to tell. Fun as hell, but incredibly difficult. This is going to be a story that I want to tell. Perhaps it will serve as a sort of ItB relaunch, but I don't think it will. Basically, bringing back ItB fills me with feelings of inadequacy, and doing this makes me feel excited, so I'm going with this.

Thanks again for the interest! If you wish, you can go ahead and make your baseline characters. Here is the outline of how to do that that I used for ItB. It hasn't changed.

*Choose Concept and Nature (but not Allegiance)

*Select Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Attributes (7/5/3)

*Select Abilities (23) Nothing higher than 3 at this time

*Select Backgrounds (7) Not yet allowed: Attunement, Dormancy, Eufiber (Node is allowed, though it will not affect your Taint at this time)

*Willpower=3

*No Quantum rating at this time

*Initiative is Dex+Wits

*You can calculate movement if you wish, I don't anticipate it coming up in your prologue...but it might

*Spend your 15 Freebie Points on anything but Quantum

Yes, I know that Freebie Points are as cheap as Quantum gets. Do not worry, I will give you more when you erupt, and you can buy Quantum then.

Now, tell me as much as you can about your baseline character. I leave what and how much to tell up to you.

Finally, tell me what direction you see your powers going, and a very general idea of how you prefer to erupt, if you have a preference. (Examples: In public with lots of publicity, Secretly, Accident, Stress, what have you...or you could always leave it up to me. Envoy, I have your preference in this, and it is exactly what I mean, nicely done.)

PM these to me at your leisure.

if there's room for more...I am trying to be careful with joining, but I was sufficiently impressed with your previous outings that I'd like to try again.

I'd like to give my old temporal speedster idea another try if that's okay...

Previous to eruption...a mild mannered, eccentric 'investigative journalist.' The quotes because she's so smalltime and nutty that most folks would say 'crackpot with a blog' rather than call her that. :)

Edit - Gah...PM. Sorry!

No real deadline, but I'll probably start encouraging players to start their baseline threads (can we do that? I'm not sure how the new forums work on new games) whenever they are ready with sheets. (Holy sheet!)

Also, Salmon Max is in and welcome! That's five, and probably enough. I'm gonna call it closed on new characters. Being overwhelmed is my kryptonite, and I want to avoid it at all costs.

Can't wait!

Quick question... since it would influence my initial power trend. Could I get a Matter Creation strength (with dice pool weakness) that allows me to produce permanent substances/devices without having to spend permanent WP?

Edit: Or changes to objects becoming permanent, in the case of Molecular Manipulation, since that was another option.

Thomas - I'm at work, and don't have my books or laptop, so give me a chance to figure that out tonight. My impulse is always to say 'Go ahead!', but let me double check myself.

Definitely give it thought. Matter Creation tends to be underpowered in terms of its offensive capability relative to other tier 3 powers, but it has reasonable defense bonus potential, and unparalleled versatility. In particular though, the power to create...say...gold or diamonds infinitely that last forever has implications on the game world.

And once the character has enough engineering to build robot warriors, if they're permanent, you've got a very interesting situation.

Not saying don't do it. Just saying...be aware of what you're getting into. :)

Also, on a separate note, I want Thomas to have the Hypercognition enhancement from Brainwaves for his M-Wits... I would think that has a serious impact on reducing R&D time since it turns any extended action largely mental into instant actions. Just wanted to get the scoop on that when you are prepared to respond, Titan.

(Basically the NovaTech stuff is just adjusting the Adventure! super-science rules to Aberrant)

Ok, here's my judgement, and I think it's pretty generous. You may still spend a point of permanent willpower to make a creation or change permanent. You may instead 'Max' the power (Aberrant, p147), with the duration going up a level instead of doubling (i.e. a day per dot in MC or MM, as opposed to the usual max duration of 2 hours per dot). Hypercognition will affect extended actions normally, and reduce R&D by half (i.e. 10 days per dot of quantum needed by the innovation as opposed to 20). If you are reverse-engineering a device that you have created or changed, R&D is reduced by a number of days equal to your number of dots in the power, after applying the Hypercognition adjustment. Best I can do for you, and as I said, generous.

EDIT: 'after' the hypercognition, not before

We will be using different gadget rules. I will elaborate in another thread

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, welcome to the site. As far as I know the game is closed and not accepting any applications. Maybe Titan will make an exception, though. This isn't the only game you can join, though - there are a few games out there which are still open for applications. If you're looking for Aberrant only games then you should check out the according section (if you haven't already).

venti - Let me echo Jillian/Joani in welcoming you to the site! Stick around, you'll really enjoy reading and writing here. That said, this particular game is currently closed. I can appreciate the time you have spent in making your character, and I hope you get to use it as it is well thought out. But, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed if I have too many players, and really 5 is all I can handle at this time. If an opening occurs (people do drop out sometimes), I will absolutely let you know. Good luck, hope to see you around the site

Archived