Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - Dream Date [Complete]

Connor smiled at her, feeling guilty. There was no spark, and he was her first... He couldn't really stop now. "I'm flattered. I figured a pretty young woman like you, smart as you are, would have already had a boyfriend or two."

"That just makes it even more special. Though I'm far from perfect, Karrie, despite what the press and fansites say."

“No… before eruption I wasn’t really chased by guys.” Karrie could not admit she was fat. “Then after eruption I was the one making the money that fed my family. Then I get to DC, and… I don’t know. It’s just never happened with anyone. I don’t know any guys beyond the people I work with, and most of them have been the butt of a joke or two so aren’t really happy with me right now. Plus, I think Rob’s the only person there that really gets me, which is why he’s my best friend.

“And I know its all perception, my view of you.” Karrie smiled up at him shyly. “I think you’re perfect… I know you’re just a guy, deep inside. But can’t you be the perfect guy for me? That’s not wrong, is it?”

"I'm just a man Karrie, far from perfect." He smiled looking down at her. "Though I'm flattered you think so highly of me. Coming from someone I consider a peer, it means alot, a whole lot."

"Why don't we give it at least another date or two before we start talking about perfect matches and all." He caressed her cheek softly. it wasn't a rejection, merely his desire to keep to a steady pace, and not rush in, especially with her inexperience. Some warnings were blaring in his head but he pushed them away, determined to give Karrie a real fair chance, so they hadn't sparked on the first kiss, that didn't mean it couldn't happen.

"Okay." It was too late for her; he'd been her perfect man for years. "So... another date?" She grinned cutely and leaned against him lightly. The warmth of his body invited her to cuddle closer, but she wasn't that brave. "Or am I supposed to decide what we're doing and setting all of that up?" She had a few ideas, but she'd need to run them by Rob. She didn't want to screw this up by doing something wrong, not at this early point in the game.

"Another date is in order, yes." He smiled pulling her closer. "You can set it up how you like next time, since I chose this time."

He nodded. The spark was a no show, but still she was pretty cool, sweet, and intelligent. She deserved at least one more date. Who knows, it might happen then.

“All right. I’ll do that. I’ll have to think on it. I want it to be special and unforgettable.” It didn’t occur to Karrie that she could accomplish that in a way that would utterly horrify her date.

“I’m sure it will be,” Connor agreed. Not long after that, they paid their check and left, still talking about inconsequential things; learning about each other, mostly. Connor was still having those little warning bells but he chalked it up to the lack of spark.

Karrie, on the other hand, had no doubt at all. He was The One.

Archived