Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - [CN] Orientation Day

Lance Kensington

"This wasn't the usual witness protection." Ross said, waving a hand to his handsome visage. "Didn't figure out how to take away the super-model looks until recently, and it's hard to avoid notice with this. So I was stuck in a government facility and grounds for a while- they also wanted to study my powers and for me to know how to use them. Now, they gave me a decent studio apartment patch of public housing run by the Department of Health and Human Services not far from the DSA HQ here. I'm just glad to be out again."

"It's cool, you can trash the Feebs here. Everyone else does." Rob said cheerfully as he spun his paintball gun in one hand. "We can always redecorate. Safehouses come in two colours: baby-puke green or institutional pink." He paused, cocking his head as though thinking. "Or is that baby-puke pink..? Nevermind." he shrugged that away as Horst's voice roared through the lab area.

"Leeehhhnshhheerrrrrr!!! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!!!"

Coyote stifled a laugh at the way the newcomers tensed and started as Rob dashed over to his desk with a yip of glee. "His server farm's just finished running some calculations." she explained, indicating the huge refridgerated glass-fronted cabinet that ran the length of a wall behind Telluris's workstation. Rob slipped into his chair which, the others noted, had more than a passing resemblance to a certain throne on a certain battlestation in 'Return of the Jedi'. He grinned boyishly at them over the two holographic displays that popped up as soon as he sat down, his fingers moving over the interface in front of him.

"I recorded Horst." he chatted as his deep brown eyes focused on the scrolling figures. "It would have been wrong not to. Hmmm... Point two Robs off that one..." he made a correction, then continued talking to the others. "I'm trying to figure out what pattern and concentration of gravitic anomaly I'd need to push for in order to create a wormhole."

Karrie came up behind him, and with the nonchalance of a very comfortable relationship, sat on the arm of his chair and leaned against his shoulder. Rob spared a second to give her a vaguely annoyed look as she wiggled into a comfortable position, but he still moved to accommodate her. “Hmm… lookin’ good, but do you really want that much of a gravitic pull there?” She leaned past him to point at a graphic.

“Yep. You need to have it.” Rob’s fingers didn’t pause on the keyboard, but he’d taken a second to think before answering. “You want me to bore you with why?”

Karrie started to wiggle off her perch. “Nah, you’re the expert and we have company. I’ll call you sometime when I can’t sleep and let you bore me into Dreamland.”

“Only if I can take pictures when you fall asleep. I’m running a bit low on the blackmail material, since you haven’t posted a fanfiction later.” Rob grinned as Karrie turned red.

“So! What else would you guys like to see that’s not around where Rob’s going to be?” the Navajo woman asked with a faux-bright grin.

Kei peeked over the two's shoulders. She barely understood what was being calculated. She was smart, but not Karrie and Rob smart. She knew aeronautics like a boss though, something they could share conversation on, occasionally...

"So, that's all well and good, but can it make the Dragon fly more efficiently? I'd like to eventually be able to fly half-way around the planet in that bad girl."

She grinned. "One project at a time though huh! I guess figuring out a way to blow up the planet is... exiting."

She was obviously joking, but the talk of singularities and wormholes does... worry her.

Ross listened of course, to be polite, though honestly he had no idea about the intricacies of gravity and would likely be just as asleep as Karrie would be. When the term 'fanfiction' arose, he exchanged wondering glances direct on with Lance (which caused a faint blush again), but neither of them intended to inquire further at the moment.

"Honestly," he finally responded to the Navajo engineer, "Kei gave us the full tour... I can't think of anything. Do you have any particular ideas?"

“Do I have an idea? I always have ideas. It’s why Horst loves and fears me, which I think is both a valid and healthy relationship.” Karrie smirked and Ross had the sudden feeling that he’d made a terrible mistake. “Hey Rob?”

“Yeah?”

“Think we have enough?” She turned to glance at Rob, who had paused to eye the three visitors.

“Yeah.” Rob grinned and started to work faster. He only had a limited amount of time before Karrie would drag him into this and he wanted to get this done. More than that, he didn’t want to miss the fun!

“Then it’s Paintball time.” Karrie’s grin was evil – a benevolent, mischievous evil rather than true evil. “Come on, Rob and I have enough for everyone.” Without waiting for a reply, she hustled over to a cabinet and started to pull out supplies. “Kei, this face guard should fit you. Don’t worry if it smells like Vodka – we had a Russian physicist use that last. Wow, could he drink! And Lance, this one was used by a geneticist looking at retro-viral therapy, so no suing us if you grow another arm or something. Oh, and Ross! Here, this was last worn by super-sexy Korean-”

“Eun Mi,” Rob all-but-purred as he continued to work on his calculations.

“Eun Mi, who was hot enough that I considered switching sides. Not just pretty, but killer smart. Rowr!” The last was uttered with a sexy growl that left Rob with small tingles – not that he let on, of course. “Thankfully, she works for the DSA.” Talking non-stop, Karrie handed out paintball guns, too, giving the history of each as she did; the last step was to fill their guns with the paintballs. “I’m red, because I’m red-skinned. Rob’s blue because all of his balls are blue. What colors do you guys want to be?”

Kei grabs the orange tube. "I usually use these for marking things in rescue drills. Generally for markign buildings that have no one trapped in them... also... seems that's my signature color these days. So..." She waves the tubes and the spare pistol that Karrie and Rob seemed not to take... probably because the trigger wasn't the best, thus providing a good handicap since Kei was a dead-eye shot. The delay provides the edge. "Orange it is." She says grinning, grabbing a full laboratory face-mask, then pulling her poncho's hood up and putting the face mask on.

Ross felt relieved - for some reason his premonition expected something far worse than paintball. "Hmm..." he glossed over the mention of who had used his mask and before he strapped in on, looked at Karrie as he thought about teams. Umm... better with her than against her, he decided. "Red team." He pulled the mask down over his face.

Kei grinned... this would be the first test of her suit. Although it would be against paint-balls. But if she felt any sting... she might have to have Karrie go back to the drawing board. She gets behind a desk, remembering how even though people were picking colors, as soon as the last combatant picked their's... things got messy fast.

As she looked around she wondered to herself, as to how exactly did they get the walls clean after every firefight. That and after her being tardy with her last expenditure filing, she fully expected to catch hell. In hell.

"Remember, it's the guy you don't see, Kei..." She whispers, remembering what her marksmanship trainer taught her in her early training for the DSA.

Should she turn on her visual enhancements? Thinking of the possible "cheat" she would have she decided not to break not using powers until someone else did first.

Kei fights with honor... unless someone else doesn't.

Archived