Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - [FIN] [CN Japan] The Cat and the Mecha

Naomi Minami

"You know... this convention you mentioned earlier today..." She says on the drive back to her Jinbocho residence "...when is it. Hell I might just take my vacation time on those days. I'm intrigued even more now, seeing what you are capable of."

Her tail wagged a little behind her head. She had her driver's seat modified to accommodate her tail.

"I know of a few Cajun style dishes that are compatible with Japanese methods. Should be a fun experiment."

Once they reach the converted office building, Naomi shows off the well organized file cabinets, waiting for new case files, the computer lab she had set up personally, a storage room made on the third floor, keeping enough rescue gear to kit-out the emergency responders in the area, and a fourth floor converted into actual living space. It had a decent sized kitchen for Japan, and Naomi's method of organization made sure one could sleep there as easily as cook, One noticeable absence was there was no Television at all.

"So... what do you think?" She says as she rummages through her Fridge. "It's easy for me to live where I work."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's this coming weekend, I'd tell you to wait though. There's another one, one I do pro bono, that I've gone to for eight years now. It;s the one that's the most special to me."

"It would also let them do some publicity if you're going to come. Who knows, with a little work, I might even get it so you don't have to use vacation."

He smiled. "your home is very neat, and orderly Naomi, wwhat I'd expect, minus a scratching post."

"Well... I don't have claws. Thankfully."

She showed her hands, they seemed one of the few things that were human about her. "If I had claws I would end up with paws that had no posable thumbs."

She smiled. "At least you have a hotel room. All I have for myself and guests is a airbed and a spare lift bag to blow up into a pillow. I really don't like sleeping on beds. I've started to curl up in nests I make with blankets and pillows and such."

As Naomi started preparing dinner, she looked over. "I would be proud to take you up on the offer, Connor. I've not had a pure geek-out in... 20 years."

He smiled. "I will make it happen." In truth Connor thought as she spoke, her feline mannerisms were as pronounced and seemingly inherent as her features, and he considered the implications of this.

"I hope you'll enjoy it. Of course the after party is alot of fun too." Bout the only time the guests all unwind." He took a seat in one of the available chairs and waited for her to finish cooking.

She whips up the meal in no-time. Getting everything just right. At least with her limited knowledge of cuisine. She could make anything in the field edible for a Human, but in the Kitchen... She's burned a few souffles in her day.

Cooking Check
[Kamiko] 1:15 pm: You know... I'm going to make a Wits roll then for cooking... I don't want everything perfect... I wanna leave something to

chance in C&M...

Kamiko *rolls* 3d10: 4+3+10: 17

[Kamiko] 1:15 pm: O.O 2 Sux!

[Kamiko] 1:15 pm: I don't burn it!

Naomi sets the two plates down, it looked half-way decent. not what the picture looked on the recipe she was using but still looked good. A mixture of Spicy Seasoned Shrimp Tempura, noodles with chunks of chicken in broth, ample rice with a few dashes of Tabasco for flavor, and a side of prepared Tofu.

"There we go. A good, diverse meal."

She says her grace, nods and grabs her chopsticks. "I left some Wasabi on the side for your Tempura, and I have some Tabasco on the table if you want it."

She smiles and starts to eat.

Naomi smiled. She didn't meow, no purr... This was Naomi shining through. "Really it was your inspiration that helped me."

She walks over to the fridge and grabs a couple small bottles of Milk. Sets one near Connor's plate. "I... I think I actually had a good day, today. I am sure there will be more to come. If you wish, you are welcome to stay the night. I'm... not much of a host, but I am accustomed to having guests here. Either clients who needed a safe place to stay, or a lost child waiting pick-up, or a simple stray cat."

"Yes, strays are my clients. You'd be surprised how many actually love their owner."

She adjusts her shirt.

"It's... complex... but to break it down to simple terms, I know what a cat is thinking and understand them like I understand a person."

"Thank you for the offer, but I somewhat doubt you want that sort of thing potentially on your reputation. A single man and a single woman alone in the same place? With Japan's media? no, let's not tempt fate."

He smiled. "You have a truly kind heart, I like that."

Her revelation didn't surprise him. "I'd think you actually could, given certain factors. It gives you a whole new avenue for information gathering. People seldom notice cats."

"I'm starting to cultivate a network. I should start seeing results soon. A detective is only as good as how they keep their ear to the ground."

She finishes her meal.

"Well... once we're finished then I'll give you a ride back." Smiling she stretches from her seat on the floor. "I'm... actually glad we had this day together. I look forward to our trip."

He smiled, "I am too. I did my job, did something I've wanted to do, and made a new friend. A good day by any standards."

He helped her put away the dishes and nodded. "I'll send you details on the convention and dates, so you can let your superiors know. It's going to be alot of fun, You should enjoy it."

"Thank you. And... I really can use a vacation once in a while, Connor. I'm glad everything has worked out."

She smiled. And for the first time, Naomi didn't feel so different. She felt normal. The human in her shone through, and it seemed Connor could see who Naomi was.

"I'm going to help set up some schooling schedule at the area we're using for the temporary shelters for Ukedo residents, tomorrow. They still need a lot of organization in regards to giving their kids a schedule they can stand behind. Once I get some sleep. I want to make sure my brain is ready."

She completed her dishes, and happily brought Connor back to the Hotel he was at. She shakes his hand and thanks him for his efforts before heading back to her car.

Once he goes inside she drives off. Once she arrives back at her house she leans against her wheel and cries. She was alone again, the memories of losing her beloved still raw.

She straightens herself out after sensing in that human way of knowing she was being watched. She steps out, plugs her car in, and decides to resume releasing her emotions inside. The mixed emotions from being back at her obliterated home town. But she had to return there to continue her work... She calls her therapist in Department 0. "Doctor Hitomi... It's Naomi. I... I need to set an appointment for the day after tomorrow... I think I need another session."

"Alright dear... I can scribble you in at any time."

"Thank you, the Morning will be sufficient."

She walks to her closet in her living quarters in the building and starts putting air into her airbed. After she sets everything up, she takes her sheets and pillows and makes a nest to cuddle up in, She starts to cry a little again. Her sobs breaking up quiet mews. It took a hour before she cried herself to sleep.

-FIN-

Archived