Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Fiction - Episode 7: The Next Voyage (FIN)

The Traveler

"Then there is one thing you're gonna have to remember. And your life may depend on it. It's gonna be dangerous. Scary. There will things that will plow your mind figuratively or literally. There will be sights that basically will be glorious or horrendous. Might even meet animal-people."

She smiled. "But the most important thing to remember is that on that ship you will be in the most important place in the multiverse."

"Welcome aboard the crew... as it is..." Yomiko says, holding her hand out for a handshake. "By the way, I don't have a codename yet... but the rattling is the people in Brittania don't wanna call me The Professor like they codenamed my Mother. They're thinking of calling me The Librarian. Her Majesty, Sarah Hideyoshi and I became fast friends, and if they ever need me I'm just a phonecall away." She says, pulling out a smart-phone looking device.

"Literally... it uses the Stonehenge gate network as a communications system."

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yomiko nodded. "And not a day before unfortunately. In fact Three told me over my phone just now I can't be inside because of some "dimensional reconfiguration" or some stuff like that which is harmful to biological organisms. Sort of interested as to what'll happen once she's done with repairs."

She adjusts her vest and leans forward a little. "So what will we do I mean... I'm a uninvited guest in your home..."

"This house has a dozen rooms that are actual bedrooms. Only two are currently in use. You can have your pick of the others. My parents will be abit more understanding than you are likely to believe. Just trust me when I say they're used to this."

Yomiko nods. "Alright. not a problem. I have my own bedding to use during the week. I really do not want to be a burden while I am here to be honest..."

Of course this universe while a visited one, she has no currency for. "I'll try to be as unobtrusive as possible."

• 4 weeks later...

= A week later =

Yomiko and Daniel returned to her landing site. The Hikari Maru just still sat there. Only a few curious animals looked at it as Yomiko and Daniel arrived by a warp. Yomiko had her small bag she originally took, and a much larger one with the things she was able to get at Daniel's generosity. Daniel himself seemed to take Yomiko's advice and together looked ready for an expedition.

She walked up to the front flap and noticed that the orange looked less dingy on the "roof" of her craft.

"Hmm... either Three deployed a cleaner bot while I was gone or the outer hull refreshed."

She opens the foreward flap, then unlocks an airlock door underneath it. "The outer hull is of course, illusory. It's stuck in this mode although I've been trying to figure out a way to fix the program that regulates it. I can get it to return to a default form, but that looks like a space cruiser." She looks inside before stepping in and seeing the halls now a pristine white instead of a steel grey was a surprise and shock.

"It did get remodeled in here..."

She climbs in and walks a couple steps inside.

"Now be careful stepping in, for those not used to stepping into a pocket dimension the transition from standard reality into the Hikari Maru can be disorienting."

For Daniel it was a unique expereince, one made easier by Yomiko herself being there, as he crossed into yet another dimension, knowing if it came to it, he would return here, even if Sonja continued to Spurn him. He felt a slight Tingle as he crossed over. "Did you tell 3 I'm not a threat? I don't want super crazy killdroids coming after me. Once was enough in my lifetime."

"Three is a sentient AI bound to serve the Hikari Maru. If you're with me she'll figure out you're a guest and not gas you with a nova-grade anesthetic gas and knock you out before teleporting you outside."

She smiled and turned on a com-panel on a wall in the corridor they were in. "Three, it's Yomiko. I'm back."

"Oh! I was beginning to worry. Is that a new guest?"

"Yes we're heading to the bridge. And please, wear something presentable."

She grinned. "I'll show you the bridge first before I show you my quarters."

The corridors were long, they went for yards in some spots. It was like they were in a building, not a spacecraft in some sections. When they finally reached the Bridge and Yomi opened the doors she gasped and ran in.

"Oh my... this is..."

The interior definitely looked like a spaceship. The bridge itself looked different, incorporating some of the old interior.

4fbea9515b58d_128620576720314586787_1.jpg

The scene outside was in perfect view of the view screen, and the controls to the Dimension Drive was already incorporated into the Bridge.

"Well... definately a change. seems we're looking outside all the time now."

She looks at Three, still wearing the sailor outfit and life vest. "Three? Didn't I say..."

"Sorry... I've been too busy."

"Well... sort of fits with the exterior... Anyways, Daniel, this is the Bridge of the Hikari Maru. As far as I know this is the only trans-dimensional ship in existance in the continuum."

She smiled and ran her fingers on the main controls. "This is my home... well, unless since I am the next of Kin I get my mother's property on Brittania."

"Hey... maybe I should go there."

She noticed the lack of seating outside of a couple bucket-seat like contraptions scattered in locations near console panels or the like.

"Hmm... I've got to pilot this standing?"

Suddenly chairs deploy around the D-Drive control.

"Ah... Still has the restraint system?"

"Yes, Lady Hino."

"So... the first trip head to the old stomping grounds of my Mom, Daniel? It's actually quite a nice place when people aren't trying to assassinate you."

Daniel nodded. "Wherever you wish to go, I'm just along for the ride and companionship."

He smiled, and took a seat buckling the harness as he knew she'd ask.. "Anything else I should know about this world, aside it's propensity for assassination?"

"Well..." Yomiko said, taking a seat by the main controls. "The Professor... my Mother... made a pretty powerful enemy there. She of course we found out was actually suffering from psychic damage. But at the time she was scheming to take over the planet and was using any means to do so. By the time her plot was smashed, pretty much the entire royal family of the planet were eliminated save the current Empress, and The Professor herself suffered an injury forcing her to regenerate."

She leaned back. "That universe is much safer now... I've just not seen it outside of the couple visits I made as a child."

"Not that I'll blab it to everyone I've seen buuuut... I'm not that old. You seem trusting for my secret."

She leans over with a mischievous grin. "Let's just say I'm quite old. 3 figures. You'd not believe me if I said it."

She was lying, but doing so in a way to keep him from feeling awkward.

He looked at her, his ability to detect falsehood second to few, and nodded. "Wow. Now that is actually Amazing. I thought you were sixteen or so, no more than my eighteen." He was knew she was lying which meant she was likely young, fifteen or sixteen, but if she was fine with it, he would be to. Wasn't like there were interdimensional age laws.

"Why are we going to this world, just to visit?"

"Well, and to take care of my Mother's last worldly matters. I am her next of kin, so her property is now mine. And I'd like someplace to go when I'm not flying about."

She smiled and started operating the controls. "901 years... where does the time go..."

Three blinked, but she was aware of Yomi's game in making sure her actual age didn't throw everyone off.

"Off we go."

It looked like they were indeed taking off, the viewscreen tilting up to the sky then they jumped into trans-dimensional space. The bluish smoke-like vortex of travel surrounding them on the outside of the ship.

"It's a 1 day trip at these speeds, I've not properly gotten the D-Drive back to operational status. Best to start slow."

"Oh you don't have to be buckled in, that's only for emergencies. I just like to sit down."

She smiled, ruffling his hair a little. "I used to make the same mistakes as a kid. Then again after reading my Mom's stories for about a week I was wearing a full vacuum suit, a life vest, a parachute, and made my room in one of the escape pods."

"Then I realized with my Mom's help the multi-verse was a safer place. As you can see... we're quite safe."

She types on a few controls and brings up a window on the view-screen showing a map of Brittanian earth. "I'm heading to where Tokyo is on your world. In this one all of the Japanese Archipelago is a city. It's where my Mother's home is, and I just sent a signal to a couple old friends of hers that is where I'm headed. Her Majesty, Sarah Hideyoshi and the head of the organization that protects the planet from extra-dimensional threats, Lady Jane Arrowway."

She smiled, leaning back in her seat. "You'll not need to know Japanese although those that live on British Nippon would love hearing the native tongue. When the British Empire ended up owning the world through various means, they had to make many concessions for their policies to stick. Everyone there is bilingual in English and Japanese, and they were allowed to keep their royal family."

She sighed. "Of course with no royal lines left, Sarah has been in a bit of a conundrum. But things seem to be better now. Thanks to Mom."

She smiled and got up, heading for the doors back to the halls. "I should show you my room."

He got up and nodded. "and the rest of the ship." He smiled. "So a real princess eh? That's cool, we didn't really have those at home, or if it was it was the result of fallen empires that still maintained a figurehead, not an actual ruler."

"From the way you talk, it wasn't just your mom, I imagine your father helped abit too."

"At first, no... but at the end he was there when she needed him."

She stepped into her room, and it was like she left it. Some books on the floor, a picture of her in her school uniform with her Mom and Dad under cherry blossoms like a graduation picture. Her school uniform looked like the outfit Yomiko was wearing, but a lot more mature. Her bunk-bed was basic from something like what IKEA would produce, and she had various computers and pieces of gear on her bed on the bottom.

She had a tan with brown accent coat on a hangar, and some toys from various universes displayed on a desk around her main computer.

"Well... here's my quarters. It's... probably a bit nerdy."

"I had a friend who's quarters looked the same, back home. She was a real Otaku, one of the only other Asian students on campus." He smiled. "I expected more tech honestly, but still, it looks like a room that's seen alot and been lived in well."

"You still need to show me to my quarters too, now that I think on it."

"Ah! Right. Well you are welcome here for any research needs." She says pointing to her own collection of books on quantum physics and other treatises that her Mother herself wrote.

"Your room is across from mine, actually." She says walking over and showing an empty room... she saw a yellow umbrella on the bed and she picked it up. "Sorry, that was left by a friend of my Mothers a while back. You may use this room as you see fit. There is a computer terminal on the desk over there and all the emergency equipment for a evacuation emergency is in that red trunk at the foot of your bed. Having to abandon ship in the trans-D vortex can be dangerous unless you have one of those vortex suits in the box or CTT jumping capability of your own."

She nodded seeing the bed was still made. She sat down. "Thank you for coming along. My running into you was by accident, you know."

"Nothing so fortuitous is by accident." The tone of his voice reminded her of how hot he was, and that he was generally a genuine man. He smiled. "So how long has it been you on this sojourn across reality, and not your parents?"

He looked at her. "I'd like to get to know you better, Yomiko."

"I spent most of my days on short hops or heading back to my Mom's home universe. Shuttling about, learning about things. I think maybe... quite a while. The years drag on after a bit."

She smiled. "Once we arrive in Brittania, I hope that you'll receive a warm welcome like my Mother's companions actually did."

She flopped back on the bed, looking up. "Once I am done and I've showed you the planet a little... I might try to start looking at other worlds. Perhaps try to run into some of my Mother's old traveling partners and connect."

"Or simply pick a random universe and get there."

"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning."

He smiled. "Warmth is something I'm intimately acquainted with Yomiko, it's one of the foci of my major powers." He smiled as the ambient temperature in the room increased tend degrees, then dropped twenty, then normalized. "See?"

Yomiko blinked at the sudden temperature shift. Three came on over the intercom.

"Mistress... the temperature in your room went well above then below normal. Has there been a hull breach of come kind?"

"Negative, Three. Continue as normal."

"Understood, Ma'am."

Yomiko giggles. "That is actually... pretty cool."

"What else can you do with it?"

"Lots of thing,s most I won't do inside a ship going through dimensions." he smiled, walking over to tough her hand softly, and a warmth spread through it hitting all the pleasure centers in her arm, relaxing the muscles like the effect of a jacuzzi, and he smiled. "I've adapted it to do alot of things though."

"Some aren't so overt as actual fire, but I've always found ways to heat things up one way or another."

Yomiko relaxed, and gazing into his eyes...

"You know... Daniel... I'm... glad we met by accident. I think this is how my mother felt when she met my father."

She smiled, gently putting her hand on his shoulder. Her appearance was extraordinary, but for a normal person. But still her blue eyes carried an innocence, one of someone who cared... perhaps too deeply... about others. And was so alone.

"You're an amazing person, Daniel."

"Not half as amazing as you." He'd actively kept his power levels down, so she couldn't feel how powerful he actually was. He smiled, and kissed her hand softly. "Though in time, I hope to show you new worlds as well."

Daniel was not innocent, not at all. He knew what he wanted to do, and in truth, she was a beautiful girl. He just didn't want to pressure her. if she was going to insist on being older, he'd treat her as if she were.

"So, we have a full day. What are we going to do to pass the time? I can go read about britania but that's bound to get boring after a few hours."

"Well... we should be getting hungry shortly too... we should make dinner. I do recommend reading up a bit on Brittania in the mean time. Since you were so generous with hospitality, I will return the favor by cooking."

She gets up. "I think something reminiscent of your home, some Cajun style shrimp tempura with some soba dressed with the finest greenery the south can provide. And lots of rice with a good mix of soy sauce and maybe some diced salmon to add to it. Sound good?"

"Whatever you cook, I'm sure will be fine." He let his touch linger a moment, before leaving her room, going to his to unpack his things, and pull up the data on britania on a small dataslate pad, as he laid on the bed reading, waiting for her to call him.

All things considered, he needed this, and while she wasn't sonja, she was a nova, like him, and a very unique one. She'd definitely caught his interest, and he'd planned on staying awhile, to see what real travel was like."

Yomiko giggled as she cooked, her apron tied around her, it seemed she was a cook, and a librarian at the same time.

As she cooked, she did her best, until everything set up just right. She served it with the deft mastery that was her domain. She wasn't a Nova Chef, but on a Human level she was a master of her art.

She set everything like a high-class restaurant, and activated the com-channel in the mess-hall.

"Daniel, Dinner is served. I have the guide lights on the floor leading to the Mess Hall activated for your navigational purposes."

He smiled following the lit path, happy to see her presentation was amazing as he thought it would be. "You did really well."

He took a seat where she indicated, and waited for her to do likewise befroe he bgan eating, surprised abit that she was so good at it. "It tastes great Yomiko."

"I had practice, actually. There were a couple of chefs that taught me my technique. Now... I can also do full wilderness dressing, and with my knowledge of wild herbs and what not, I can turn survival rations into full culinary delights as well. You'd be surprised how I can turn an MRE into something no one could pass up."

When the two took their seats, before Daniel started eating, Yomiko paused and looked at her meal.

"I... I'm not the greatest, but I can do great things when given the proper time."

She started eating, noticing even she doesn't give herself enough credit. But it was better to be humble. "So... Did you think this was indeed great? I'm happy you think so. I thought my parents were just humoring their daughter."

"Parents do that, but they often will be honest, especially with someone as smart as you, as lying doesn't really help matters." Which was as close to him saying he knew she was lying to him as he'd say. He continued eating and smiled.

"It's a true fusion of Japanese and Cajun cuisine. my Mother would be proud of you."

"I read about Britania, interesting place, not a world I'd have thought existed, what with how the brits came to run everything. I always figured it would be China, Japan, or America pulling that one off."

"It actually took a few strokes of luck, followed by a nuclear near-holocaust. It was... interesting to say the least. Particularly that it was the Novas of that universe that managed to stop that war. I can't begin to count how many blown out and glassed rocks my Mother came across in her early voyages."

She sighed. "This one got lucky with it's Novas. No doubt."

She smiled and leans forward. "For a moment, I thought I landed on one of those worlds when I arrived on yours. But seeing that the sky was still there and the radiation levels were near nominal, I was curious."

"Seeing you there... was a treat. I felt a bit embarrassed that here I was wearing a white encounter suit when none was needed."

She giggled and returned to her meal.

"Well next time we go to a beach, you'll have to where proper attire for it then."

He smiled. "I will too since fair's fair, though if it's not a private beach things may get "interesting." he chuckled as he finished the first half of his meal, and started working on the second. "So in all your travels you've never had a boyfriend or companion, aside From Three, or your family?"

Yomiko had just the swimsuit for that sort of plan...

"Three's been my only companion recently. Up to now. I only traveled with my parents when I was young."

She smiled and leaned back. "There is a universe that has natural, pristine beaches. A universe we call Sanctuary. All CTT travelers have agreed to keep that particular universe pristine. It's beaches are... just beautiful. No human life other than the visitors that stop in. And a couple refugees that we took from Hive-devastated universes. Well... just one, and she is guarded by The Council."

He smiled. "Sounds like a nice secluded place, great for a holiday." He finished off the rest of the food, and nodded. "You did great Yomiko, truly great." He began picking up the empty dishes to wash them, since she'd taken the time to cook, he wouldn't let her do that alone too.

Yomiko clasps her hands, seeing Daniel's generosity and manners were indeed to his credit. She helped, as always.

"So... Since there is no like... place to stop for a movie in trans-dimensional space... how about we start making plans to turn in. I should show you the cargo-bay first. How that functions. Unless you wish to go over emergency procedures and how to use the escape pods. Oh! Or we could just head down to the swimming pool to relax... or perhaps I can show you the library... or the gymnasium..."

She catches herself getting quite ahead of herself. Here she is, with the one most wonderful man she's seen since leaving the Phoenix Universe and...

"Sorry... every little bit at a time. I have to remember that."

he smiled "Show me around my new home, our home for the foreseeable future, we can talk and plan for the future as we go.:" He smiled watch her body language and nodding. "I think the pool can wait till the end, we've got a day almost, and it gives me something to look forward to."

Yomiko giggles, starting the tour after the dishes were done.

After showing the other, currently empty rooms she stops by her Mother and Father's room. It's been locked.

'I... I request that no one enter that room. They may return, so I want their belongings still here where they can find them."

She adjusted her clothes and shows Daniel Engineering, the Library, and the Gymnasium. Then she gets to the Cargo hold.

"Here is the Cargo Hold area. Here is where my Mother kept a lot of the things she got on her trips. A lot of this stuff is code-locked in their secure crates. I could never figure out the one thing under the tarp here."

She pulls it back, revealing a modified RAF Spitfire. "Oh my... A Spitfire! Looks modified a bit but..."

She tries opening it, but the canopy was security locked. "Damn."

She sighed and sits on the wing. "I guess there's stories my Mom's not told me yet... Ones of probably some sort of dangerous adventure."

Archived