Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Chapter 6.1] Rising Tide

Kamiko adjusts her glasses. "It would take alot of effort to pick up on me. I seem to be a dead spot in the water as it were for quantum detection."

She adjusts her suit. "As for going in and out we would have to be oh so quick... 3 seconds in, 3 seconds out."

"Now, I gotta change, be right back..."

Kamiko heads back to the bathroom to change into her gear again.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well, sis," Butch chuckled. "It just wouldn't be a family meeting if someone didn't storm off. I only walked off myself, but I did give our Uncle a piece of my mind. Don't be surprised if he comes looking for a chat a little later."

He walked over to the desk and looked at the clay block that sat there. There were times when he wished he had the spark of creativity his sister had. A hobby. That might be the ticket. Give him something else to occupy his mind with. Maybe give him a sense of peace.

He turned back to his sister and smiled. "So this is your next project, huh? You'll have to let me see whatever it is that you turn this into."

The room was an organized disaster area, and it took Butch a moment to find a space to sit down, but find it he did. After a moment, he continued.

"After you left, well, nothing huge happened. Like I said before, Uncle Shen might pop in later to talk to you. Everyone seemed to agree that the two of you need to have a chat. Other than that, they talked a little about helping the situation in the Congo, but it didn't sound like anything concrete was decided. Maybe evacuating the Dragon's Den if necessary. Alex mentioned focusing on Angolan officials as a weak link in the Aeon chain or whatever. I let Alex know I support her, too, but something needs to come from this Angola affair. Either way, we'll return to your plan one way or another once this thing is wrapped up."

He shrugged. "That's about it."

Instead of continuing, Butch quietly waited for his sister to respond. If not, he would just sit and keep her company. Hopefully it would be enough comfort for Cora.

Coraline appeared to consider all this for a long time, chin resting in one hand, eyes dancing over the visual representation of her tangled and oh-so-very personal crusade to untangle a very complicated problem, smile waneing away to nothing on perfect lips and happiness draining out of her expression and stance. She seemed to shrink, emotional exhaustion overtaking her.

"Perhaps maybe we do need to do, Uncle Shen and I. Chat, I mean," she intoned with a broken little laugh, shrugging and facing Butch again, "I haven't been able to bring myself to have a conversation alone with him since he and Maia got back, been training with Sifu Hawkins. I mean, Node, what would I say? How would I say it? I don't know, that's for sure. It's... You know what I mean, I think, even if I don't know myself at the moment. You're here after all."

The metamorph paused for moment, focusing on the parts of herself skittering in the hallway outside, the vibration of the engines, the motes of dust and dandriff dancing through the air, her own body's hundred and one micromovents just standing there and making the slightest gesture towards the lump of clay. "And thanks, I'll be glad to share the finished result with you for comment and critique. You're welcome to stay and watch if you want. Haven't disturbed my muse at work yet."

Kamiko steps out of her ersatz changing room back to the conference room where everyone was. The tour as it were, would have to wait. Kamiko has already removed all telling markings on her suit and changed the OLED colors on anything from red to blue. That when on their defaults showed her position in Nippontai. As far as anyone knew, Kamiko was there to see if old friends were alright there as her cover story, nothing more.

"Alright... If we are going to the Congo, everyone... we have to accept the fact that we are putting our lives in our hands. I won't be there long, only to assess the current situation and to talk with Congalese Den personnel. Alex, I can pop a second warp for you to wherever you need to go from our initial arrival point. Marina... I don't know what your plans are once we arrive in the Congo, but I should know for our safety."

"In any cases, we should keep communications to such a minimum as to be considered radio silence. Alex, if you wish to arrange a time I can open a warp at a location and time of your choosing, this would be a good time to set that up, as well as a plan B in the case I am unable to do so."

"I should not be going to the Congo without assistance. I would call Dan, but he would intervene and stop me from even going I'm afraid."

She sighs. "Even if I'm not going to fight there, my responsibility is to uphold a promise... to see to it the children of the Den are safe."

She adjusts her armored bodysuit before putting it's helmet on. "I would rather stay in the Congo for a very limited time. Every moment I am there puts me at risk."

"We should conceive a plan now, and stick to it for our visit. This is a war zone, and it is only going to get hotter, not colder."

"Any input, Maia? I don't think this plan is complete."

Shen looked over the children a moment, then leaned on the door and sighed. "This is part of growing up, the parent pushing one out of the nest so that the nestlings can fly, Cora is desperate to save me, and considering that she is a cypher to what is to come, she might succeed, though it will not halt my actions. Death is a part of life, but even my death is not necessarily certain, or even necessarily, permanent, even without the time traveler in the family... it might be, but even that isn't sure." He sighed. "The future has grown ever more complicated as things go on... Kami, dear child, it's good to see you again.. now, I really should go talk to Cora and Butch.. both of them are somewhat unhappy with me at the moment."

Alex smiled. "If it makes you feel better, I'm not exactly on their Christmas list right now either. A very smart person once said, 'Family is the folks you can piss off as much as you want without vaporizing them, or being vaporized by them.' It's funny because it's true."

"It's not that bad in Kinshasa Kamiko, life still continues normally there, like anywhere else. I can just warp us to my home there, then we can go to the palace if you like."

She looked to Alex and then gave her a hug, acting much more like the Maia she'd always known. "That's very true, and God knows I've given you all reasons to be mad at me, yet we're still family."

She looked to Shen and smiled. "What child doesn't get abit aggravated with their parent from time to time, Uncle? She knows you and Alex were right, she just has to come to terms with it. Butch is with her and he's intelligent, and despite him wanting to do it, he too can easily see why it's not the best idea."

"I didn't know you knew Kamiko, Uncle, Care to elaborate why we never met her?"

Shen sighed. "Do you have any idea how difficult it is to predict the future.. I isolated you children because it was easier to keep track of you, and make sure my children survived to become adults, the greater and more involved with the world you were, the more of a chance that something would prevent that, I knew Kami was safe were she was at, and you were safe were you were at, combining you before you folks were ready lowered the chances all of you surviving to this point by 11%, by making certain groups aware of you and the potential of you working together much sooner then it should be." He paused. "I realize that sounds sort of like a computer answer, but it's what I have.. now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go speak with Cora... and Butch."

With that, he simply vanished, to reappear only a few feet from Cora and Butch, but instead of saying anything, he waited for either of them to speak up, and he would wait until either of them was ready to speak.. he could easily wait until Cora was finished with her bit of artwork.

Kamiko stalled in thought... Perhaps this was odds that she shouldn't tempt. That creeping doubt in the back of her mind, warping in when a potentially hot warzone could be awaiting her lept into her mind. She promised Dan she would stay out of it...

"I'm sorry, everyone, but I am not going to attempt to go to the Congo right now... I... hope you understand. Once we are done here on the ship... I'm going home. I will of course, open a warp for wherever everyone needs to go, but... I won't be accompanying you."

Marina came back in having switched into a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. She looks over at Kamiko.

"Second thoughts? It's fine Kamiko. I'm sure everyone here will understand. Right?"

She gives her sisters the say yes kind of look.

"Anyways, how about we give you a tour of the ship and something to eat before you go?"

Kamiko looks down at the deck plates.

"Actually if everyone has something important to take care of, I wonder if those plans should be delayed further."

Kamiko started doing the mental calculations in her head. YJ was not very far ahead in planning it's moves, and it hasn't slowed at all what has now come to pass... to her... they failed.

"I don't think we have the luxuries of time, nor distance any more."

She sighed. "Perhaps I should go home... everyone here is more than capable of transport themselves."

She steps out of the room and leans against a bulk head. She was torn in her mind. She's been placed in a position where she doesn't know where to go or what to do. In any case and maneuver she could think. She would betray something she loved for the other.

The displacement of Quantum and air as Uncle Shen entered Coraline's sanctum sanctorum without so much as a courtesy knock irritated the metamorph in her sensitive state, a reflexive stiffening that froze her mid carving and her spiders midskuttle in the hallway outside. She drew in a breath, regaining her cool before turning in her chair to face her mentor and father in all but name, expression a cool mask over churning anger and white-on-black eyes mirrors narrowed in frustration.

"You're underestimating us, Uncle. Novas. Baselines. Me. We're better than you think we are, I've seen the basic goodness in people, with or without a node, at least in the circles I've traveled these past seven months, and bringing back nova fertility will only save lives. Most of them will do the right thing and live and let live, even the most dedicated Hunters stopping when it turns out they're shoveling the tide with a leaky bucket. The infamy, the unigueness, of nova families and children will go away. They, we, will become people not targets, powerful, valuable people, but someone to court not hunt down. And we'll work it out. Together. Without *anyone else* needing to die for this particular cause. No more suffering families, Uncle, no more being murdered in our beds or our homes for the 'sin' of existing."

Her chorus of voices rang with determined belief, mask cracking a little as she vented, "I don't believe in destiny, but I know and love you, Uncle Shen. You only risk your life to help others in mortal peril, so if they've already been helped, if they don't need to be helped as suddenly... You won't be in harm's way. We all have so much power Uncle, I refuse to believe that I have to lose another parent to make the world a better place. All *this* work, the Aberrants, the team? It's to make that better place for each and every one of us before the fear and hate of an hunted child undergoing Apothesis lights the world aflame. And my idea could, can, extinguish that fire before it starts. I feel it in my Node."

"Too much I'm afraid."

She sighs. "I'm painted into a corner and I don't know what to do."

"I have to step carefully so I do not betray Nippontai just weeks after I've joined them, Not blow my cover with YJ, Help Cora, Help the Den, but I have to weigh that against my need to honor my agreement with my father."

She massaged the scar hidden by her suit on her chest. "I made a promise that I would not get engaged into this battle, Marina."

"What am I to do?"

Butch adjusted his mirrored, wraparound shades. He didn't really need to wear them with his family around, but he was just so damned used to wearing them. Ever since he was a kid and on the run with his dad, Butch had donned the sunglasses on the off chance that someone might catch a glimpse of his multifaceted green eyes. Frankly, while his dad was still alive this never happened. The shades only really were useful when Butch was on his own, scurrying from slum to slum. And then Uncle Shen popped in one day, extended his hand, and gave Butch the chance to stop running, have a family, a real family.

In quiet, thoughtful moments, Butch wondered how his life would have been different if he hadn't taken the hand of the Traveler. Given what he knew, Butch didn't rate his chances of survival without his family as very high. This was an important reason for the serious appreciation Butch had for his adopted brothers and sisters. But even more importantly, Butch's appreciation came from the fact that they were just good people, good family. Caring for them was easy.

Seeing Cora tear herself up recently over how to save their Uncle and impact the world hurt Butch. True, she needed support from her brothers and sister, but really Cora needed a showdown with the Nova she was trying to save.

When Uncle Shen popped in, Butch sat up a little straighter. He listened as his sister spoke, and waited for a response from their Uncle.

"Coraline... dear child." He paused, then sighed... "I am handicapped as much by my visions of the future as I am advantaged.. I see possiblities and potentials, the further I look, the more detailed they get.. I admit, no particular future is set, and sometimes the least likely paths are taken, surprisingly enough, I have seen moments where the entire future shifts because of the least likely choices made." He paused a moment, then held out his hands. "the matter is complicated by others who have the ability to see the the future in some way or another as well... and all of us keep our council close, for the simple matter that telling folks about what is to come, changes the outcome, sometimes in weird ways.. then there are folks like you, invisible threads in the tapestry that can completely redirect things.. I try to look to the long run, but my most important concern is my children.. so I make choices that are best for all of you where I can, and act carefully when I can't."

"Do you want to know the absolute best thing for humanity, nova and baseline, in the long run?" He paused and waited for a response.

Coraline spent a moment to supress her first explosive reaction to Shen's nonanswer and question. Did he think she, of all people, was ignorant to the too much information problem? She saw so much more than even she could change. Not without breaking everything.

"Novas leave peacefully, baselines get 'their' planet back, and then new branches of metahumanity arise to replace us and co-exist with baselines in a way everyone seems convinced novas can not? You've told us as much before unless this is some new ideal you've seen, Uncle Shen. But this is our home, too. We have as much claim to it as they do. And even if most of us choose to go explore the wider universe, we deserve the right to come back and be able to live in peace on it if we choose to stay. And if we do leave with them seeing us or us seeing them as some kind of eternal threat instead of natural allies, humanity will have the same problems again, one hundred, two hundred, three hundred years from now. We need to solve the problem now, here, untangle the knot. Not run away. Not anymore."

She sucked in a breath, "I can only see the now, remember the past, and guess the future, Uncle, but you've taught me, us, that the now is all we have to act and be happy in. That's why it's called the present. I refuse to let fear chain me down again, keep me from doing my best. For everyone's good including my own. Hard as that is with you acting like you're about to die and seeming to not do anything about it to save yourself after working so hard to save others."

"Too much I'm afraid."

She sighs. "I'm painted into a corner and I don't know what to do."

"I have to step carefully so I do not betray Nippontai just weeks after I've joined them, Not blow my cover with YJ, Help Cora, Help the Den, but I have to weigh that against my need to honor my agreement with my father."

She massaged the scar hidden by her suit on her chest. "I made a promise that I would not get engaged into this battle, Marina."

"What am I to do?"

Marina lent down and hugged Kamiko.

"Kamiko, is a major dillema. "

Marina thinks for a moment

"Betraying either sounds like it will hurt your very much. Wait....."

"I think I've got a idea Kamiko. What if Kamiko doesn't help anyone but Nippon-tai...and someone else who's obviously NOT Kamiko helps the other groups and us? If you catch my drift?"

"Though we might need Alex's help to pull this off effiecently."

Man, what are they gonna do when I'm gone? Alex wondered, not for the first time.

"If you really think it's a problem, I'll do what I can," she said aloud. "But if you feel conflicted about taking part in the fight, you don't have to. My projections indicate there are sufficient forces in the Congo to repel the attack with acceptable casualties. The real battleground is the attempt to unravel the plot behind the 'war.' The clash of armies is just...an elaborate feint. Pieces moving on a board. The one we want is the one doing the moving."

"For that, I'm planning on taking part personally."

Maia smiled. "How can I help you with that Alex? I don't know about open warfare, It's still not known widely that the king is my real father, though whoever's behind the scenes probably knows. I'd like to make a real difference here, and since you're alot more in the know about the aspects beyond the Congolese side, I'll defer to your expertise here."

"So... it's... 4 you need... not Heiwa..."

She straightens her suit. "The risks will be high, gang. Higher than we should be burdened with..."

Kamiko's mind reaches clarity. "I need a better costume. One that can actually stop small-arms fire since that's the one thing that can get the jump on me. I'm rather fragile and easily eliminated. And a helmet that can show my eyes, since I'm not sure of the full weight of my diplomatic swagger or my powers of suggestion need eye-contact or not. To be honest I cannot use any of my Papermastery ability when I'm 4. I have to rely on my guile."

"Maia... can you stomach being my bodyguard? Marina, do you have the courage to go through with what we may have to do? Alex... I know you're onboard... can I rely on you to hold your end of the bargain?"

She nods. "We cannot see this as Chess. We must force the enemy to play GO with us. Make them waste resources to hold a tiny bit of ground while we act economically and strike at their soft points and try to move the larger parties in our favor."

"I don't want to show anyone here what I am capable of... to circumvent your free will would be a violation of your rights as sentient beings... but if Humanity continues on their self-destructive path I may have to intervene on their benefit."

"Proteus, and the mistakes of our forefathers are our enemy here. Ein is going to make a grave error. More than likely he will want some decisive battle. The enemy's Elites will most likely group up in order to have a chance against him and his main team of royal guard. Then, knowing his prior record, may try to take Angola. This cannot happen. He must stay to his borders to prove his interests are not conquest."

"Alex... more than likely there are anti-warp defenses already deployed. Probably thanks to Starseed's efforts. While I love the girl to death, My Admiral has made my life much more difficult. Do you have a way to launch us to the location so we don't have to use our quantum to get there. You have those old missile tubes... if you got a missile, perhaps converting it so we can do a form of Paradrop into the Congo. We'll have to aim for the waters of the Congo River near Kinshasha. And I know Ein can recognize the type of missile you'll use, if you've had prior conversations with him... I hope... I would hate to get shot down."

"And don't worry, if someone here doesn't know how to use a parachute I can teach."

She adjusts her suit. "Once we're in the Congo, We can split up to handle our obligations there."

She sighs. "I hate having to do this... but I don't think we have any choice. We must act... hoping alone will not move us forward, I am afraid."

Alex chuckled. "Don't worry. Everything's under control."

She gestured at a door in the lab. "We can take a minisub to the Congo's coast, I'll make you a vehicle from there if you need one. Or Maia can carry you if you prefer...she's probably faster than what I'd make. Once near the front, report to Ein for instructions. I'm still planning the Angola mission. I may have need of either or both of you, but nothing set in stone yet. I'll contact whoever I need though. As for what Ein does...I've made the same suggestions to him, but he's canny enough not to let his intentions slip. I wouldn't worry that he'll conquer Angola out of anger though...he's got a temper, but it doesn't seem to cost him his mind."

Kamiko adjusts her suit... "Then, it's time to get 4 dressed..."

Kamiko erects a dressing booth in the hall, and the sound of clothes rustling is heard for a few moments, then when she takes it down, the familiar to team YJ's 4 is seen. "This... is what I have currently..."

the outfit
4fa4370477c62_1329104918686.jpg

It's pretty much a currently grey cloak with attached old-school looking gas-mask with a white full-body suit, blue with white stripe skirt, and blue with white stripe collar..

"Well... I wish I had a helmet with this..."

Alex eyes the suit skeptically and offers, "You know...I could whip something up for you. Wouldn't last forever, but I've been working on longevity. You'd have hours in the field before there was any breakdown. And forget about small-arms fire...I can give you stuff that'll stop a nova blast cold. You know, an average one. If Pax or Mal takes a potshot at you, all bets are off."

Kamiko sighs. "The time I'm going to be in the Congo though will measure in weeks..."

She turns the cloak invisible for a moment to show Alex it's capabilities. "I think to be honest we should just work with what we got for now. I need reliable."

"I think I'll go with the suit I was wearing, and wear that with the cloak... I did remove the markings on the suit so it looks more like generic body armor."

She changes out of her outfit, and puts the other suit on and keeps the cloak and mask. The sailor outfit she wore over the armored suit, and it was enough of an affectation where there was no doubt she was a different person. Fashion inclined on the other hand... heck no. "I think I will go with this."

Then the thought occurred to her... "Umm... I just overlooked something that would cost me... My Anima Banner... it flares up every time I use my powers. It's a dead giveaway."

"What do I do?"

"That is a issue. Even with the disguise you'd stick out if you ever use your power."

She scratches her head

"While we could theoretically ask Alex for assistance in making something that could do the same effects as powers, I don't think even she could whip up something with two seconds notice. No offence Alex."

She Sighs.

"Anyways, Just stick with me and the others, Kamiko. We'll make sure you don't get hurt. Just stay close."

"With luck you'll be able to sit back and not do anything save help control the flow of information Kamiko. If it comes to a Fight, Marina and I are both quite capable." She smiled. "I am at peace with the fact that somewhere inside, I love battle. it is an area I decidedly excel at, thanks to my Father. But it's no longer my first response. I'll fight if I have to, but only if it's the only option left to me."

"I don't think anyone's dumb enough to strike the capital directly, but if they are, there are measures in place to deal with it, and I have my own abilities which should be a match for almost anything."

She smiled to Alex and Marina. "So am I warping us there, or do one of you have a preferred method of travel?"

"Well, there is the option of a HALO jump. We just need some sort of aircraft and we can parachute in. We don't have the advantage of being able to dorm so I hope everyone has some means to suppress. It's too bad I can't contact Starseed recently, she has a neat little gadget that does that. But that is beside the point, once we get down to a opening altitude we should get over Kinshasha. Mala, we'll need your contacts with the Congalese government to provide us airspace. We have to keep the use of our powers to a minimum until we arrive. That's the best strategy we got."

She sighs. "So... the thing is how can we get over Congo airspace... at a sufficient altitude where we won't get shot down."

Alex shrugged. "I just integrate some jet engines," she said. "But air travel isn't very subtle. I figure we should warp or use a minisub. You know, I still haven't had a chance to try one of those. We always...jump around in space. Never worry about the space between."

"But in this case, like all the others, warping makes the most sense. Whenever you're ready, Maia."

"So we just warp over an area that possibly has some sort of warp suppression? I wonder how high up it could possibly go..." Kamiko thinks out loud.

"Very well, a warp sounds good and I got that down to a art form. Any particular height you guys want, and what is the final gameplan?"

She sighed...putting her bag over her shoulders.

"In fact... I think I'd better get you guys there... you know what you're doing... I don't. Just tell me where to open the gate and I'll handle the rest."

"I'm in... no matter the end."

"We'll need to coordinate, not just appear randomly," Alex said. "Take us to Kinshasa. I need to talk to Einherjar and I'm sure Maia will too. From there we can handle our own transportation as needed, I think."

"Okay... we'll have to drop in from high, and I mean high altitude, and go in with as little power running as possible. We can parachute in from 20 kilometers up. I don't think any anti-warp tech will reach that high. I can quickly get some parachutes and if anyone needs pointers on using them, I am well versed. We'll do this like a HALO jump. Once we reach a proper altitude we'll deploy chutes and land in the Congo River itself where Marina can get us to shore at Kinshasha. They know who we are, so once we introduce ourselves to security we should have a easy time getting in. In fact I should go there under the guise of Kamiko Hideyoshi. Who is there to see the situation with what she was originally charged with. As long as I stay a non-combatant, the Japanese government doesn't give any mind what I do there."

"Shouldn't take me no more that 5 minutes to get the gear all set for the drop, and to get properly dressed."

She starts opening a portal to her terrestrial home in Jinbocho.

"Anything else anyone needs? I got a spare pressure suit or two if anyone here is not able to adapt to a low-pressure, low oxygen environment. for the drop. The chutes are also designed to release a drogue that will slow you down to typical terminal velocity until the proper opening height. You get to know a few people in the Elite business, and you start finding out where they shop, you know?" She says with a wink.

Deciding it better to just get the gear now, and retrieve what's not needed later (or leave it for Alex to play with) she decides to hop over, grab enough chutes for the whole group, and four pressure suits like what the GNS now has standard.

"Okay... these are actually rather dummy proof the chutes. Just pull the red handle at 1000 feet, and if that doesn't open, pull the orange handle on the pack attached to the belt on the waist. The red handle opens the main chute and the orange handle opens the spare."

"If you need life support the suits are right over there. They will conform within 1 foot of any standard human body height, with a 150 pound differential for body type."

She smiled. "If anyone has any questions ask now."

Maia shook her head. "No, no needs, just ready to be back there." She smiled to Alex. "One day I'm coming to check on the girls and their mom's, and spend time with Eric and Zia. Do you think perhaps once things are normalized again in Kinshasa that we can take them there? It's been awhile since they saw dry land, as far as I know."

"Sounds like a plan Maia. Sure they'll like that too."

She then looks at Kamiko. She looks impressed

"Damn Kamiko. You really do plan for everything. Though the suits are going to need to go to someone other than me. I'm more than capable of surviving without one."

Kamiko smiled. "I don't know everything about us."

"As for all this, Alex, I heard talk from Star that there was going to be a field over the capitol that prevented warps. Also the area might have something over it being generated by the enemy that might likewise cause the same effect. I have to take that factor into account."

Kamiko was wearing her Hikari Maru dress uniform which she had wore for a time on the sub and has become her trademark, and gave a copy to Marina.

Kamiko was already buckling in her parachute rig. "I know this is unconventional, but it is probably the best way to get in undetected by hostiles. I do have a GNS emergency beacon with me that anyone from the Congo that watches for GNS expeditions will know of if there is an emergency. They'll send a retrieval team to our location, that would be the best way to get identified by security as non-hostiles. Ein and whoever is important know the signal frequency."

"It's my personal one, and Star will make damn sure I'm ok if that signal is recieved."

She helps Marina and anyone else that requests aid with their rigs.

"Also, Alex... it's fun. We gotta have fun once in a while."

She grinned and started opening her portal to a point 20 kilometers over the Congo. With drift they would land in the Congo River's shores near Kinshasha... if everyone remembered Kamiko's directions. It would take a minute...

"Remember, this is a Warzone. It's better to stay out of the way than in the way."

"Yeah, but...Kinshasa is not a warzone. The warzone is the Angola border, to the north. And..." she stopped, realizing that the real answer was simply 'because they don't want to.' With a shrug she decided this was a battle that would take far more resources to win than she really wanted to spend.

"Fine. Go ahead and open the portal then. I'll radio Kinshasa air control when we arrive so they don't just shoot us down."

She didn't bother putting on any parachuting stuff. If the purpose of the excursion was fun, she had much more fun flying than drifting aimlessly on wind currents.

Uncle Shen had not responded to Cora, but Butch wasn't holding his breath for a satisfying answer. So far Traveler had made a bunch of excuses about the difficulty of seeing the future and blah blah blah. His question to Cora was annoying to say the least, too: "Do you want to know the absolute best thing for humanity, nova and baseline, in the long run?"

Come on.

Gee, Uncle Shen, could you please talk down to us some more? That's been working oh-so-well for you, please, continue doing so. Of course Cora wasn't going to play. Butch knew as soon has the question left Uncle Shen's mouth. Still, he was having a really hard time with the whole situation.

Out of one side of his mouth Uncle Shen tells the family that he's gonna die and it's for the best or whatever. Then out of the other side of his mouth he tells them that he says no particular future is set. What the hell were they supposed to do with that???

The main problem Butch had was Uncle Shen's seeming lack of care for his own life. Fine, perhaps he had seen some futures and believed his death was necessary for a certain outcome. But the whole oh-look-at-me-I'm-all-Zen-about-my-impending-death trip was...frustrating. Why the hell wasn't he open to the possibility that his foster children could potentially save him? He just said that no particular future was set. Why the fuck should the one in which he dies be set? What did he think his foster children would do? Just sit around? Throw a "going away forever" party and be all "Oh, he knows the future so clearly this is what had to happen and isn't he so stoic and brave and Zen for accepting it?" Who fucking gives up on their life like that? It's not brave. It's just giving up, is what it is. It's just inaction.

It was just...stupid! You just said no particular future is set! Why the fuck aren't you fighting for your life then? Ugh!

The ambient temperature around him was rising. Butch was trying hard not to get overly emotional about it all, but it was hard not to. He was still a teenager who lost his father and was about to lose his foster uncle. He could burn out his quantum enhanced intelligence and let it overrun his emotion, but what would that make him then? He didn't want to think about it.

But he choked it all down. He took a few breaths, composed himself and spoke.

"Well, Unc," Butch said. "What do you have to say to all that? Drop some knowledge on us or whatever you think it is and then let us go off and help the others."

There was plenty more he wanted to say, but he held his more pointed comments for now.

Against Kamiko's better judgement, she afforded Alex the benefit of the doubt.

"While I would rather not give our positions away... since you did intend to go check on your intel, that is fine."

The Portal snaps to life, it wouldn't be long now before the quantum entanglement is complete and the portal opens on the other side.

"I didn't do this out of being inefficient... I actually care about everyone here. I honestly didn't know that current intel, and that may have changed during the duration of our conversation. Novas act quick... that's our way."

The portal opens, right where intended. "Okay, there we are. I go through last."

Archived