Shadowrun: Everybody Lies - [SR4A] Everybody Lies

Joani

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Jian's looks approved to me. That makes one on my list. Still plenty to go. Please bear with me, but this takes a bit longer because I'm making sure I have the PCs setup correctly in my background. I keep you updated and keep submitting awesome concepts. So far none has been disappointing.

So I was dreaming last night that i was playing a Shadowrun MMO.... I know, but please, before you crucify me, read on... Anywyas I wake up this morning and check my facebook page. What do I find there posted by both Steve Kenson and Damon Rath? This!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

This will be so awesome!

So in chat Jeremy, as a joke, posted this as a commentary about how something in SR could look.

I pointed out that that was a less than ideal run, which reminded me of an old story some fellow gamers told me:

[jameson] 2:25 pm: so a good story that some freinds who played in a long running campaign have told me goes thusly

[jameson] 2:27 pm: Their group is hired by a Johnson to do a little shadowy corporate sabotage. They need to hit a certain facility they get paid a certain amount plus bonuses based on the damage they do. The group accepts the job and sets to work casing the place from the outside, hacking plans, observing security, and formulating a plan of attack.

[jameson] 2:28 pm: After a while one of the weapons experts, pokes her head in and says "this thing is on a pier, on the harbor. Why don't I just dive down and put charges on the pilings that support the structure?"

[jameson] 2:29 pm: Total destruction, No risk. Maximum bonus.

[jameson] 2:29 pm: THAT is a good Shadow Run.

[Jordan] 2:29 pm: lol!

[Jeremy] 2:29 pm: Jameson: lol

[Jeremy] 2:30 pm: That is a good story and a good run

[jameson] 2:30 pm: yes, it's also an amusing anecdote, but more importantly it points out that the best runs (ICly) are not always the most exciting runs (OOCly)

[Jeremy] 2:31 pm: it could be exciting to have an easy run though

[Jeremy] 2:32 pm: easy nuyen

[jameson] 2:32 pm: the GM obviously ended up scrapping a lot of plans as a result

Let this be a lesson: The smart and quiet runner is the runner who has lots of money to spend and a life to spend it on.

Ah good, that story reminded me to check to see if I had Diving(SCUBA) as a Skill/Specalty. I do. Heh, I even remembered to buy a boat. We are in Seattle after all. Well that and a chemical resistant rain cloak for the bad rain days.

Parachuting(BASE Jumping) too. There is more than enough high buildings to work from to pull off some righteous dynamic entry from above.

Also, the most ideal run is the one where no one on the team gets killed, you only spend half your ammo, and you've achieved all your objectives plus earned a bonus.

But just remember, no matter how clean a mission you've pissed off someone somewhere. Unless it was a above the board mission (and who hires us for those) we are definitely gonna be in hot water with someone. We will leave something behind to "start a file".

But just remember, no matter how clean a mission you've pissed off someone somewhere. Unless it was a above the board mission (and who hires us for those) we are definitely gonna be in hot water with someone. We will leave something behind to "start a file".

Not necessarily. There are those times, but generally- we are deniable assets. Unless we do something unnecessary that really makes it personal, the corps or other bigwigs tend to recognize that we're just pawns in their little game, and there's bigger fish to catch.

Yar...if a corp uses us to hit another corp...the target goes after the hiring corp. They may even hire us to do it. That's why Mr Johnsons are so cagey.The runners they hire today may be trying to kill him tomorrow. It's just biz.

Speaking of biz...that Kickstart is ON FIRE. It's already nearly 200k, the halfway mark for funding, and they stll have more than 3 weeks to go!

yup

The Order of the Stick kickstarter was intended to get Rich the $35,000 or so dollars needed to reprint one of the older books. Instead it raised over a million dollars, enough to reprint all of the OotS books and even a little extra to help Rich out with productiony costs on the strip.

These are the rules. They are not carved in stone, but they are carved on the inside of every veteran Runner's blackened little heart:

Rule 1: NEVER. DEAL. WITH. A. DRAGON.

Rule 2: You're not as fast as you imagine.

Rule 3: Don't worry about the Awakened World; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to summon a spirit by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind: the kind that are 2 metres tall and want to blind you on a Tuesday at 4am.

Rule 4: Do one thing everyday that scares the neighbours.

Rule 5: Shoot straight.

Rule 6: Don't be reckless with other people's heavy machine guns, don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Rule 7: Conserve Ammo. (This includes spirit boons, spells, etc. Even information. Especially information.)

Rule 8: Keep up with SOTA (State of the art) - sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, being on the bleeding edge is what keeps you alive.

Rule 9: Remember the secret paydata you retreive, forget the loused up runs - unless you can get your hands on the lousy fragger who fragged things up, in which case you deep-six the bastard.

Rule 10: Keep your old cyberdecks, throw away your old SINs.

Rule 11: Stay Low.

Rule 12: Don't hurry to offload that hot merchandise. Lay low and let the heat fade. Unless it's information, in which case flog it before they know you have it.

Rule 13: Get plenty of soykaf.

Rule 14: Be kind to your knees, eyes, etc. They're expensive to replace. If the street doc claims otherwise, he's lying to pawn off some cheap crap on you.

Rule 15: Do not use terms such as tusker, dandylion chewer, stunty, breeder or trog. These will get you dead, sooner or later.

Rule 16: Avoid pissing off mages, shaman and anyone else that can conjure a malevolent water spirit into your toilet bowl.

Rule: 17: RTFM, even if you don't understand it.

Rule 18: Understand that Johnsons come and go, but for the precious few you should hold on.

Rule 19: Live in Seattle for a time, but leave before it makes you hard; live in Chicago for a time, but leave before you get infested with insect spirits and turn into a bug.

Rule 20: Travel. Always know when to leave town and return in 3-6 mths with a new SIN.

Rule 21: Accept certain inalienable truths, the weirdness will increase, runners will sell out, you too will get old, and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young the streets were normal, runners were noble and elves were trustworthy.

Rule 22. Elves were NEVER trustworthy. Never trust an elf. Even if you are an elf. Especially if you are an elf.

Rule 23: Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a stolen bank account, maybe you have a wealthy Johnson; but you never know when either one might be eaten by insect spirits.

Rule 24: Don't mess too much with your wired reflexes, or by the time they're 40, they will be out of warranty.

Rule 25: I really mean it about the Dragons.

I'd like to take part but I've only two character ideas...

Evana - Face/Infiltrator. A thief and socialite. To beautiful for words, she gets all the attention and the 'dropped' information that goes with it.

Chunin - PhysAd/Ninja. A wise cracking, joke telling, possibly quite batty 'American' ninja. Melee expert, but deadly with silent weapons.

Thus far which would be more useful?

Evana - Face/Infiltrator. A thief and socialite. To beautiful for words, she gets all the attention and the 'dropped' information that goes with it.

Chunin - PhysAd/Ninja. A wise cracking, joke telling, possibly quite batty 'American' ninja. Melee expert, but deadly with silent weapons.

Both of them sound like someone else's submission. Jim's got a face (not sure on his details) and I have a ninja. Personally, I'd prefer Chunin because 1) you can't have too many ninjas and 2) I love staring at Chunin's avie! :P

Both concepts could still find their requirement in this game. I'm looking at two teams at least atm considering the number of players. Can't tell how many will stick, though. 2 Faces are fine for 2 Teams so this shouldn't be much of a problem from my perspective.

I will setup 2 different Teams from the beginning anyway. Further down the road these teams can be mixed up, dissolved and regrouped - people will know who they hire for which kind of job anyway and whom they rather not take.

I will update my initial post with the PC-Concepts submitted so you can get an impression what types of PCs we're looking at. So far both concepts can be fitted in - I prefer you chose what you want to play instead of me telling you to go with option B.

I have to rebuild Ace. I just noticed a bunch of mistakes I've made. I'm keeping concept but I got to simplify it a bit and tweak it. I'll use the PM to repost the character.

I don't think we're gonna start until after Easter anyways so I got a little time.

Just consider my character unsubmitted again.

Oh btw - please post only in this thread if you have questions etc. The other Threads I'm posting up are just for reference/rules etc. I can't lock them at this moment so please don't "spoil" them, thanks.

A few words on how and what/what-not.

This game will be run in two different "modes". There'll be a story mode and a mission mode. The story mode will focus on personal roleplaying, things you pick up during missions and what you provided me for in your backgrounds. Some of these story-threads my run entirely sidetracked, some my intermingle with stories of other PCs and some may even blow up into overarching stories affecting the game world as such.

The Mission modes will be the "bread and butter" - the Shadowrunning as such. Missions will include combat (it's unlikely that you won't get into trouble at one point during your mission), conflict of interest and what will be considered your "daily job" - earn money and survive. Keep up with SOTA and make a name for yourself so you may one day retire from the business... or die.

The story modes will be as extensive, entertaining or boring as the backgrounds I receive. I have a metaplot designed but it is not something that needs to be "chased". If you never cross paths with the metaplot it will simply move on and change the world without you having any participation in it. But if you do, you'll be in for some interesting stories. This is the part in which I intend to invest as much as I get from the individual PCs.

As I am looking at enough submissions to run 2 teams the game will start with 2 separate threads detailing each teams first mission. I will have a newbie team (Players who haven't played SR before) and a veteran team. Don't worry - there'll be a veteran or two in the newbie team but I have to make sure that things are balanced.

The Missions or Runs will be relatively standard issue starting easy and increasing in difficulty as I get a feel for how much you guys can handle. Teams my split up, regroup or dissolve entirely over the course of time and players may leave and join as I see fit. As long as I have enough Players to run a mission I will be supporting this game.

I kindly ask all Players to stay away from any of the officially released Adventures, Missions and Campaigns. All resources that you may use will be added in the appropriate section of my initial proposal. This means, I will run the official Adventures and Missions - it is up to you and your personal fun to not cheat. Should I realize that someone has been cheating (i. e., read the Adventure in advance and knows all the ins and outs) I will consider excluding said player from any future Campaigns/Missions. Play fair.

If you have questions or ideas or wishes - just add them here, I will see what I can do.

Heron Imiri K'Ailiu is, as a Elf Dragonslayer Shaman, something of a Shamanic version of a Combat Mage, though only about 1/2 of her spells are actual Combat spells (and of the half that are not, most of them have combat uses) - She's spellcasting focused, so don't expect her to do much conjuration... at least, not yet, though she does have the know how.

For a larger picture of her general appearance (I also consider this a picture of her on the Metaplane of fire, once she gains the ability to travel the metaplanes)

bloodbraidelfbystevearg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Archived