Nobilis Game

Krul

Having discussed the matter a bit, then thought it over, I decided that the game I would find the most fun to play with outside of the Abberant QF game I've been running, would be Noblilis.. also sense it's simpler, and I like 3rd Edition even more then 2nd, and I loved 2nd.. I wanted to try it ever sense I got it.

But.. it's not going to be the normal character creation system, I want to do something different, something more engaging all around.

Here's what I'm looking for, 5 to 7 players (no more then seven), and instead of picking out your estate, I want at least 7 different estates you would find fun to play, and figure out who or what you were before you became a noble (Human or non, living or not, even existing or not, anything is possible after all). No repeats, and no adding any further estates until after everyone has picked out their initial seven, but.. if you want an estate someone else has picked on your list... negotiate with them, and if they agree you can switch it with one of yours.

Once I get at least 5 players, I'll start matching and eliminating estates.. though players will have input into this matter (Nobilis should be a cooperative effort after all)

The estate you end up with will be one of those you selected, but you won't know which one initially, which is more true to the nature of being enNobled anyway.

Now, there are a few rules about estates.. nothing too broad, like Matter, Reality, Meaning or Existence (There is an Angel of Meaning and Existence, yes, but the Firstborn is not available as your Imperator, anymore then Lucifer is.. which means I'd like you to avoid Pride and Persuasion as well.. or at least define them a bit more individually), Death however would be acceptable, but other estates need a bit more definition, Energy for example, would need further definition.. what kind of energy (Kinetic/Potential.. Life Energy.. or Electrical Energy, for example). No estate too small or too defined either though.. Dogs is fine... German Shepard is too small.. Rivers is ok.. the Amazon River is not(it's big enough, but too defined). Cities would be ok, a particular city would not be...Most aspects of weather would be fine.. but just Raindrops would be too small.. but other then those requirements, any estate is possible...

NOTE: Nobilis can be a mature game, and the Estates you rule can be mature also. I have no issues with that, a power of Suicide, Murder, Crime, Blood, Lust, Nudity or Sex would be ok.. even an estate like Torment would be ok.. but some estates are a bit too much for players or even for me as HG (I really hope you don't need an example, but, if your unsure about something.. PM me), I am actually hoping this really didn't need saying, but I figured if I best do so in the beginning rather have it brought up later

Now, moving on.. the matter of the Imperator and the Chancel.. 3rd Edition makes this much less about points (Realm is gone as a trait now - instead all Miracles (Aspect, Domain, Persona or Treasure) take a 3 point discount in your chancel, and the kind of direct control over your chancel Realm use to give would require spending Points for a Secondary Estate 'My Chancel') and more about what you desire or want from them (Players and HG), so once we get a few players, I'll start a thread for those discussions... but it won't be a discussion about properties as much as what you want from them.

So.. Question and Answers..

Do I need to know the system? - It helps, but it's a very easy diceless system.. if you are courageous enough to give the matter of becoming a power (like the Incarnations of Immortality), even without the exact system, I'm courageous enough to help.

Am I abandoning QF? - Not at all, I've plans for that game still, this is just something to rest my mind from constant thoughts about Abberant (which I sometimes need), hopefully it will make it easier to post in QF, at least that's part of my reason for doing this.

Really, is that the main reason? - Nope, not at all, I love Nobilis, setting and all.. I've tried running and playing 2nd Edition, and the games eventually died.. but it did last for a bit, and it was always fun.. even when it died quickly. I hope this one lasts, because I think 3rd Edition could work out better. (Your not automatically immune to another Noble's powers anymore, it takes effort to become so now.. which is good, IMO)

Am I open to answer other questions? - Sure ask away, I'll answer any questions you have

Well, that's 2 estates.. Secrets and Mysteries, which are different bit similar (you could certainly end up taking one as a secondary estate regardless of which one you ended up with, or even if you ended up with one of your other choices). So.. what other 5 estates would you like to to try on for a test drive?

Cool sets there.. but out of curiosity why Mockery and Dust? I can see the others, but I wonder what you were thinking with regards to those two..

Also, perhaps I should visit the 4 attributes as they are changed from 2nd to 3rd edition?

Mockery would be a kind of fun trickster sort, I think. Kind of lightweight, perhaps...but with some power in the right situations.

Dust is...I dunno. I was thinking of dust in an almost metaphysical sense too, like entropy. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Dust as a kind of final rest state of disarray that solids are eventually ground into by the tides of erosion. Bleak and somber and fatalistic...

Those were kind of just to round out the list to seven, honestly. :)

And yes, it's sounding like I may need some extensive rules consults to get me up to speed.

Alright then... .

Spirit and Realm are gone,

the attributes are now.. Aspect, Domain, Persona and Treasure.

Aspect is what is has always been, shear skill, intelligence and physicality, the ability to leap tall buildings, beat up entire armies, outthink supercomputers and outrun jets..

Domain is also unchanged, it is direct control over your estate, to create, divine, protect, change and destroy, to do things with your estate

Persona is the ability incarnate yourself in your estate, to embody your estate, to bless and curse, to empower others with your estate or to take on aspects of your estate..

- Examples: Fire burns what it touches, so the Power of Fire can burn what he touches.. or become a fire, or with enough power, all fires... or curse someone with fires..or make a fire not a fire (what a fire that isn't a fire is becomes up to the HG) etc. This can be really scary with a high Domain as well, sense you can only control aspects of your estate when your present... becoming incarnate in every fire means your present where every fire is.. though it also means you can be attacked though any fire.

Treasure deals with your stuff.. not the normal stuff, but the miraculous stuff you have, your panoply so to speak.. it also deals with your anchors, or power such as Alchemy

- Example: The One Ring, and Arsenal of Magic Weapons, the Staff of Magus, the Sword Excalibur, the Library of all Knowledge, the All Spark, the Elder Wand, the Scythe of Death, the Dragon Scepter, The Logos - the Divine Word that Created all things.. anything is possible with a high enough treasure rating.

Gifts: Remain as they are for the most part, immortality, flight, shapechanging, ect.

Afflictions & Bonds - 13 + treasure points (Anchors must have some relation though a bond... the differences I'll cover later)

Estate Properties - 7 points

Mortal Nature - 8 points for Skills and Passions (also to skills are special and powers get them automatically up to the attribute it's related too Cool = Aspect & Shine = Persona ).. there are some rare skills here though.. such as magic for example. Shine is your ability to influence others in ways that matter.. Shine 5 for example, tell someone to jump into a lake, and they are likely to find true love or something as a result, with high shine... Cool is resistance to mortal actions... a high enough cool will make a gun pointed at you fail, or make it impossible for the gunman to shoot you. That said, your skills and passions should reflect your Noble life.. if your origin is something really special though, superior qualities become possible..

What about Auctoritus.. well Auctoritus Magister is not automatic anymore (Cool provides defenses against mortal action, but not supernatural action), you have spend miracle points to temporarily add your persona for each MP spent for several hours or the scene, up to the limit of your persona.. the inverse, the Divine Mantle is automatic strike (penetration for those of you who knew the old system) for each MP spent, up a max of Domain..

Archived