Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - [CN] Atlantic Nights

Mech

Nate used a bit of his strength as he jumped over the side of the ship arching high into the air and coming down just beyond the farthest swimmers with a solid cannonball splash. Karrie was challenging him to the Nerd-off and he might lose, but it wouldn't be without a fight. The one thing he was careful to avoid during the competition was Star Wars trivia. It was one thing to be an uber-nerd, or a geek, but he didn't want to be seen to be a dweeb. Besides, it was a Star Wars argument that had gotten him in trouble in the first place.

As the questions flowed out he was stumped more often that he would have liked. If it had been science, or computer, or engineering questions I would have aced it! Why oh, why did Connor ask him about some Anime series he'd never watched. Karrie on the other had had probably asked him that Star Trek question on purpose knowing that was like asking Superman to juggle Kryptonite.

Roll: [4, 2, 4, 10, 1] + mega [1]. Total Successes: 1.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob... Rob was a damned menace at Nerd Offs. He fielded questions on everything from Firefly, B5, Star Trek and Star Wars to The Big Bang Theory, Peacemaker Kurogane and Buffy with blinding speed, his answers sometimes coming before the question was even finished. And then, without even pausing, he'd turn around and fire a torpedo of obscure trivia right back out at some luckless victim.

He wasn't completely merciless. He tossed Kitty some softballs (though they were his idea of softball, so still tough going) and he didn't gloat... unless he managed to stump Karrie, in which case he'd grin ear to ear like a Cheshire Cat that'd found a mouse. Mostly, though, he was just relaxing in the warm water and enjoying the company... whilst idly figuring out the exact molecular structure a crystal would need in order to store, say, a dvd's worth of data... and chivalrously ogling the ladies in their swimsuits.

Ravi *rolls* 11d10: 10+7+4+5+5+3+7+1+10+5+9: 66

[Carver] 2:14 am: Wow.

[Kamiko] 2:14 am: 8

Ravi flexes

[Kamiko] 2:14 am: ...

“I so want a beach ball like that.” Karrie’s envy was mild but clear; she really like Kei’s ball.

Karrie was a nerd, but she didn’t focus in all areas of nerd-dom. For example, she wasn’t as familiar with some of the old TV shows as Rob; she had only a passing acquaintance with Babylon 5, and had bypassed Angel altogether (a vampire with a soul? Pff. Vampire Knight had done it better). To her dismay, Rob won the damned thing.

Shit. This will make him insufferable. Still, she grinned as she paddled over to him, took his wrist and raised his hand above the water. “As the person who started the Nerd-Off, by the power vested in me because the rest of you let me talk you into this game, I declare Robert Nathaniel Rogers Bartholomew Skywalker Lehnsherr the Third the winner of this Nerd-Off! You, sir, have bragging rights to the title until you’re usurped by another. Congratulations, sir.”

Floating companionably next to her friend, Karrie queried, “So what’s the next entertainment? I already kept us going for two hours, not an easy task considering how easily bored Rob and I can get.” She realized that probably didn’t sound the way she intended and she added, “No offense, but sometimes it’s easy to overthink things and get bored.”

,, Roll: [6, 1, 5, 8, 2] + mega [3, 2, 10, 2, 5]. Total Successes: 4.

Kei leans back, holding on to her d20.

"Kei?" May asks, swimming up to her.

"What..."

"You're taking this well."

"I'm not... I used to be the queen of geeks at school. The perfect mix of mental prowess and physical skill... a nightmare. I prided myself on that. A living, breathing honey-badger of a girl. Now..."

She sighed. "I think I'm losing my touch."

She swims over to Karrie. "Yeah, it's a favorite of mine too, the d20. I can mail one to you. Send it as a gift."

She smiled. "Although for right now I should focus on taking Rob down..."

She leaned forward, staring at Rob, then making the sign of the horns, and points at her eyes, then quickly points the horns at Rob. "Any time, any where, Magneto... Anytime..."

She swims over to Jedi. "Yeah sorry for freaking you out, earlier... Care for launch early in the morning then? Sunrise at 100,000 feet is something anyone has to see. We'll still need the rigging so we don't spin around. To be honest the rest of the gear is optional but we really should see who can land closest to Connor's ship via parachute... You do know how to use one right?"

She smiles, actually bobbing up and down excitedly, looking forward to the adventure.

"The suit I was going to have you wear would have kept your clothes from getting all tattered since it by default sits body-tight."

She kicks back form Nate. "Let me know." She then turns to Karrie and smiles. "Heads up!" She shouts as she tosses the ball to Karrie in a high arc so she has warning.

Karrie bounced the ball on her hands, fielding it over to Connor and Kitty. “I suppose we could do water volleyball. Still, we might also consider pruniness.”

“Are you getting all pruney?” Rob asked, taking her hand and peering at it. “And here I thought you just had a skin condition.”

“God, you’re an asshole, white man!” Karrie snatched her hand back, grinning at him before splashing sea water at him. She was close enough that most of the water gushed over him, and Rob grabbed her arm.

“You shouldn’t have gotten that close,” he told her before attacking her ribs with tickling fingers.

“Asshole!” Karrie shrieked between giggles. She replied in kind, and soon the two were splashing and tickle-fighting. The water crested over Kitty and Connor, then the others. It was open season on water fights.

Kei, seeing how this could end, decided to play Switzerland, and be neutral. She puts on her goggles, then She lets the air out of her vest and dives down... avoiding the splashing. Not that she didn't want to get wet... more to just... Scheme...

Connor chuckled. "Of course you realize, this means war." He used a voice almost identical to Mel Blanc's Bugs Bunny, right before bringing his arms around as he sent a wall of water getting pretty much everyone else with a wave of water. Even Mariposa who'd slipped into the water with Ming laughed as she countered and one-upped Connor by using her wings to splash him and half the others back with an even larger wave.

Umi crossed her arms, until an idea crossed her mind. She swims back up to the surface next to her d20, and the crazed splashing war, takes it, and flies up to a spot where one of the life raft cannisters were, looking it over and counting mentally the number of girls in the water she starts puffing her vest back to being inflated, and hovers over to the crowd and plops back into the water.

"Hey Gals!! I got an idea!"

She smiled. "I got a light and stuff in my bag back in my room... so I thought I could deploy one of Connors life rafts up there... it's decently big for all of us and we could sort of have ourselves a slumber party of sorts. In the water!"

She grinned. "We could trade stories, get to know each-other better... and let the boys be men... Whatcha say?"

She leaned on her d20. "Not everyone has to join... and if not enough girls wanna do it I'm not above letting guys in..."

Why couldn't I have gotten the Bab 5 questions?!? I totally would have aced those!

He was about to swim over and congratulate Rob when Kei made her offer again of the balloon ride to the upper atmosphere. What the hell, sounded like fun, and she seemed to be more relaxed about the thing now. He still wasn't sure what to make of it, but decided to just go for the ride itself and not worry about whether she was interested or not.

Before he could reply the water fight started and then Kei tried to break it up with a suggestion of taking the girls away for a slumber party?!?

"I don't think so!"

Reaching into the force, he concentrated. Do or do not, there is no try.

With practiced ease he lifted the small Japanese girl out of the water and sent the a good sized wave rushing toward her. He gave her just enough time to see what she was in for, before spinning her around so that the wave hit her in the back instead of in the face. He wasn't sure how well she handled water after all and didn't want to hurt her. She was already soaked, so it did no harm, but he didn't expect to get away with out a retaliation. He smiled then spun her back around before withdrawing his telekinetic hold letting her plummet into the water. Then decided it was time to re-position himself so that there was a group of human shields between him and the irate anime fighter girl.

To lift Kei out of the water:

Roll: [3, 6, 6, 5, 5, 9, 1, 4, 7, 1] + mega [9, 6, 7, 10]. Total Successes: 9.

To hit her with a splash:

Roll: [5, 7, 4, 10, 2, 7, 7, 6, 9, 1] + mega [3, 3, 2, 9]. Total Successes: 7.

Kei smiled, bobbing in the water. "Okay... that... was a declaration of war..."

May immediately snapped to. "Kei... no. No sonic booms near anyone. Some of us can't heal ear-drum damage and you'd break every window on the starboard side of Connor's ship."

Kei smiled. "Oh... That's not the plan..."

"Oh... the subsonic car wash trick..."

Kei shoots up into the sky and armors up. The odd thing about her armor is that it has aerodynamic properties. It also can at high-speeds... without entering Mach 1, pull up just enough water if she flew low enough with her arms just touching the water, to really cause a spray. She lined up and through an opening in the crowd darted through hitting everyone with spray from her wake.

She pirouetted around and looked like she was water-skating for a moment.

Her armor was adapted to her vest, so she sinks herself into the water again near the crowd, floating and satisfied.

"Shock and Awe, baby."

"That was unnecessary," Kitty grumped, but she was grinning as she wiped seawater from her eyes. "Well, this cat's had enough of the water. Kei, I like your idea. We girls are all going to convene in Connor's room and get pretty for eating. The boys can chat, and we'll get all ready to dazzle them for dinner - and what naturally follows." Sparkling blue eyes fell on Connor. "You are responsible for a dinner worthy of the glory we're about to bestow on you." Those eyes moved to encompass all the men. "You too, gentlemen. I don't want to hear that Connor did all the work!"

"So we'll be doing work and you'll be doing each other's nails?" Rob asked, though he didn't look put-out.

"Rob, trust me - what we do is work and you'll receive the benefits of our efforts. We will dazzle you and make you forget any other woman you've seen." Without giving him a chance to be a smart-ass back, Kitty turned and headed for the ladder. "No arguments, folks. Kei, gather the ladies up and we'll meet in the suite downstairs."

Kei smiles. "Alright... Let's get changed and all decent and enjoy dinner! Should be a fun time!"

She swims over to the ladder back to the ship, offering a hand to the first person to the ladder. "I'll head up after helping everyone back aboard."

Giggling, she holds on to the ladder. Looking forward to girl time after the dinner. "Oh and Karrie.. bring my d20, please."

“Save me.” The words were said very softly to Rob, and he turned to find Karrie inches from him. Her hands grabbed his arm under the water; her large brown eyes were distressed as she begged, “Please don’t let them do this!”

“Do what?” Rob asked.

“Make me do the girl-stuff!” Karrie looked near panic – not unusual for her. He felt her legs twine around his right thigh; she clung to him as if afraid that Kitty would come back in the water to rip her off of him. “They’ll realize that I have no clue and laugh at me!”

“So? You’re eighty times smarter than them. Besides, you’re just getting a makeover; I have to help cook!”

“He’s right.” Mariposa was floating near them, her white wings clasped close to her body. Ming bobbed behind her, looking quietly comfortable in the water. “About the intelligence. You shouldn’t be afraid of this. I will make sure no one laughs at you.” She smiled angelically – mostly because she really couldn’t smile any other way. “Come. It will be fun. If you don’t know, this is the best way to learn.”

Karrie hesitated, her legs still around his. Then she reluctantly released him and swam toward Mariposa, pausing only to collect Kei’s giant die. “Don’t worry,” Mariposa promised Rob with a little smile, “you’ll like what you get back.” Then she turned to follow Karrie and Ming up the ladder, shaking water from her wings as she went.

Connor, for his part waited for the completion of the women's retreat to the master bedroom, and nodded. "Alright then. So, cooking, I have some stuff already prepared. Still I did plan for some barbecue, any of you guys good with a grill?

He climbed up the ladder and grabbed one of the towels starting to dry himself off. Sometime later he'd have to get his things moved to the bridge. "I also have plenty of alcohol and fingerfoods. Make yourselves at home."

He smiled. "The ladies will give us their best, we can't call ourselves men if we don't do the same."

Kei went up the ladder, then stopped at the room she picked for herself and May. Her sailor outfit was dried, thanks to May, and she decided it would be time to try wearing it again, this time without falling overboard. It was a gift from a friend before they parted ways, and really... they're on a ship for bloody sakes. She grabs it and some makeup from her darker colored bag. Then after grabbing a towel and setting her d20 down, she walks past her flight suit and sighs before stepping into the bathroom to dry off and change.

When she heads to the master bedroom after changing clothes, her youthful exuberance was tempered with the fact... she knew nothing else about makeup and things.

"Just so everyone knows..." Kei says, slightly nervous. "I know nothing about this."

When it was all done and he had enjoyed watching the ladies climb out of the water and up the ladder, he made his own way to the boat and climbed out. He could have just levitated out of the water and onto the deck, but that might be seen as showing off, besides you never knew when you might need your juice around this many novas.

As he dried his hair with a towel, he looked over to Conner, "So I've never grilled before, you'll have to show me how it's done."

He hoped that didn't get him ridiculed, but his parents had not owned a bar-b-que, and he certainly hadn't had the opportunity in the last five years. That wasn't to say he hadn't had some really top notch steaks in his life, he just hadn't had anything to do with their preparation.

"Of course, grilling is something I can do quite well."

He nodded as he got the grill set up and disappeared into the Kitchen. "Come on in, and I can show you the basics."

He already had the meat cut and was starting to work on seasoning.

Kei straightened the puffy sleeves of the blouse out and made sure the skirt sat right. Her height played to her advantage this time as something that was almost a mini-skirt on a normal girl her age looked like a normal, presentible one for her. She looked at her makeup case and just flopped back on the bed.

"I'm hopeless... totally hopeless."

Her long hair had scattered everywhere around where she laid. Her typical look when not dormed down. "I mean... how the heck I'm going to get Nate's confidence..." It was out... Connor wasn't who she was interested in after all... he was cute, and a looker to boot, but Nate... Nate for some reason got her.

Kitty had sent everyone to their rooms to shower off the salt water, then come back to Connor's cabin. She went first in the shower, so was out in time to hear Kei's remarks. “Oh, sweetie,” she gushed, “you're far from hopeless. Trust me, there’s a lot to work with. First, your hair is just too cute, and we’ll do something fun with it to go with your suit. Next, we’ll make sure to make you up real nice.”

A warm and gorgeous smile crossed Kitty’s face as she knelt next to the bed so she could more eye-level with the tiny nova. “And don’t worry about Nate. He was flirting with you, in his awkward post-prison way. Just remember you’re probably the first interested girl he’s spoken to since he came straight here from the jail. So you need to be gentle on him rather than worrying about him not liking you. I’m sure he’ll be interested soon – if he’s not already.” In the face of such optimism, it was hard to disbelieve her. “Once Mari and I get done with you, you’ll see.”

Kei blinked. "Well, Kitty... If you look like that... I have full confidence."

She rolled onto her stomach, swinging her deck shoes in the air and leaning her head in her hands. "I have to be honest... I've not dated anyone in my 20 years. Not once. Lots of lunches and dinners, and a few breakfasts, but nothing more than a hello and a "maybe some night a date" that never turned out."

She sighed. To be honest she seemed like a nervous teenager. "So... Any further advice, girls?"

“Relax and be yourself. If you and Jedi are a good match, it’ll happen. If not… there’s always someone else.” Kitty smiled a little and added, “I mean, someone as insane as Karrie found a nice guy, so there really is someone for everyone. You just have to find them.”

Mariposa had been in the shower; now she came out, listening. As Ming slipped in for her turn, Mari added, “His views and beliefs are important too. No, don’t shake your head, Kitty. It’s part of discovering if you’re a good match with him. It’s more important than some people realize, until it’s too late and they’re deeply in love. Then it hurts all the more to find out that your partner doesn’t, as an example, want children and you do. So I believe that you should screen him first to be sure this is what you want to do.”

“Of course, if all you want is sex, then you just need to have chemistry,” Kitty added with a big grin.

Kei meeps in shock when she heard intercourse was brought up. She blushes.

"I'm definitely not in it for that. That boy... he's been through a lot. But if it comes to that I came prepared."

She pats the wallet in the pocket of her skirt. "My mom taught me to always bring a raincoat when there are a lot of boys, and now men, at a party."

"I've seen to many girls when I was in high school make that mistake."

She rolls back to her back. "It's great I get to talk. My mom is always off somewhere as a reporter. I don't have any aunts or uncles that live in the US, so I really only have my peers and what not to talk to. I talk to my Dad too much. Particularly now that I got access to DSA comms..."

"I don't got that older sister."

She flops her arms back and is spread-eagle on the bed now. "I thought superheroines didn't have trouble like this."

Archived