Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - [CN] Atlantic Nights

Mech

Connor held Kitty up still though he could tell he didn't need to, not for much longer, still it did feel nice to be next to her like this.

He nodded when Morgan introduced Nate, and smiled. "Welcome aboard, Nate, Now that you're here..."

He stopped as Kamiko and Director Nishima appeared. "We have one final guest."

He smiled. "It's nice to see someone from Department Zero here, Miss Aino." The director was already gone. "Make yourself at home."

He looked to Kitty. "Are you going to be alright?"

She nodded.. "We can continue this.."

He smiled "Later, I have to set sail for now. Once things settle in International waters, then all things are possible."

Satisfied she released him, and he removed the mooring lines of the yacht, then flew to the bridge, engaging the engines. "Allright people settle in, decide who's rooming with who, and in a hour or so we'll be out beyond US territorial waters." He smiled as the massive yacht head for the open water, bidding farewell to the city of New York.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamiko nodded to Chris... out of habit she looked about for a life vest nearby by eye, but finding none decided to relax. She scratched her head, waiting for Karrie's response. "Sorry, Mr. Fontenot, Aiko is like that... very... flighty."

She grins at her pun and leans back against the rail. "If this was a costume party, I would have brought my starfleet uniform."

She grinned, looking out on the moving water. Finally after a year of pure chaos and years prior of training and preparation... a vacation from the world.

Jedi smiled ruefully at Karrie definitely appreciating the welcome, but sad at the memory it brought up. "If you are sure you want to, but the last time I got into a nerd-off it ended badly." He hoped that wasn't a party killing statement. His curiousity was peaked however, "I do regenerate however, why do you ask?"

Before she could answer the two newest arrivals came aboard and the Japanese girl who looked around his own age came up and began speaking to Coyote. He just smiled and waited to meet the newcomer or for Karrie's reply. Of course it was still hard not to let his gaze swing back to Kitty...oh so difficult especially since he hadn't seen even a human girl in the last five years, and he had been a geek before that. It was much safer to keep his eyes averted and ignore the danger than have everyone asking if he had another lightsaber in his pocket.

Then their host cast off and they were moving, and Kamiko made her Starfleet comment. He had spent the last five years meditating, literally and figuratively and he had been serious for so long that he had forgotten what it felt like to smile and enjoy himself. He couldn't help the reply that slipped past his lips, "Oh, you're one of those..." he drew out the word like it was something vile, but there was a twinkle in his eyes and a little bit of a smile on his lips as he finished, "Trekkies."

He hadn't forgotten Karrie however, and waited to see if she would explain the question about regenerating.

Kamiko smiled. "Well it was either that or the plugsuit. I can look like Rei pretty easy, but I'm a bit too well built for the character."

And she did look quite mature. 5'9, healthy looking, but not stunning.

"Wait... regeneration? Is that a healing factor or something like The Doctor does? Like... coming back from the dead?"

Then something pops in her head. "May... Mind if I room up with you tonight? I don't want to room up with a man."

"I'm sorry but I'm roomed up with Kei."

Kamiko grunts in annoyance. "Connor! How about you? Where are your quarters?"

She knew little of everyone here except for May and Connor. Connor from his work and May from the relief mission with Kei in tow.

She scratched her head waiting for a response.

“Good! Then-” The newcomers interrupted Karrie’s attempt to continue her experiments in the name of science; she watched as they boarded, wondering if Conner was going to stay in port until every nova in the world was onboard.

Kamiko approached her while she was still sizing up the newcomers. Her remarks drew a real smile out of the copper-skinned woman. “Thanks.” Karrie plumbed her brain for who this person was; she was sure they hadn’t met but the woman seemed to know her. That was unusual. “Ah, yeah, I remember making that doodad. And I’m glad you liked that. Medicine’s not my main focus, but we needed something like that desperately. I’ve been told it made a huge difference in the field.” Karrie shrugged modestly, smiling. She was always happy when something she made was used to better others.

“Oh, and this is Jedi,” Karrie said, introducing the man next to her*. “Uh, his real name is Collin or something – just call him Jedi. You can call me Coyote, if you want.” She smiled a little like her namesake for just a moment: her grin was part joy, part mischief. “And he’s not my friend. Whether he becomes one depends on whether he beats me at the Nerd-off.” He received a mock-glower of warning at that.

Karrie hadn’t thought about the going-bonkers in the convention, but she wasn’t going to back down from her statement now. He probably got treated with fear by other nerds and dorks; Karrie knew that could be lonely. She determined that she wouldn’t tiptoe around the subject unless he asked her to shut up about it. “Oh, and this Nerd-off doesn’t allow killing. I tend to resent being forced to die, so you’ll just have to accept those rules, Jedi.” Despite her insensitive words, her expression was friendly.

Conner’s announcement that they were heading out had her bouncing, literally, on her toes. Her braids swung slightly as she leaned over the railing for a second to watch the water move past the boat. It still fascinated her, after growing up in the dry mountains of eastern Arizona. The slosh of liquid in her bottle drew her attention back to the bottle and Karrie quickly turned back to her companions. She poured a drink, saying, “So, you do regenerate! Excellent!”

Kamiko’s remark drew a laugh out Karrie. “Like The Doctor does? Oh god, you’re better than ET over there!” Her grin was hard, but not cruel; it was a fine line to walk between malicious and mischievous, but Karrie walked it well most of the time. “No, not like the Doctor does. By the way, it’s now a four-way Nerd-off. We should have teams or something. No, regeneration is the ability to do all the fun things in life without paying the consequences for them, like snorting a line of coke followed by Quaaludes followed high fructose corn syrup, or setting yourself on fire. Or… drinking Hair of the Coyote!”

She turned to Jedi again. “By law, I’m required to advise you not to drink this, but in the pursuit of scientific inquiry, I’d like to offer you Hair of the Coyote. I’m trying to brew a drink that will get novas drunk but getting it toxic enough to impact our physiology while also tasting decent is a challenge. Wanna try it? Kamiko, if you regen, you can have it too. Otherwise… I don’t recommend it. Er, can’t. President Obama told me so.” She held the cup in front of Jedi; the wind blew the smell of the brew to him. It smelled alcoholic, but it also carried a faint scent of paint thinner; Jedi’s brain sent him the signal that this wasn’t edible and to avoid. Karrie, in contrast, was giving him a hopeful smile designed to make the strongest of wills crumble. It was also the most adorable quirk of feminine lips that Jedi had seen in-person since his incarceration.

Rob’s not next to her anymore. She sidled over to Jedi in the last post to challenge him to the Nerd-off.

"I'm straightedge. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I've seen the effects."

She scratches her head. "Now if I could find an energy drink I would be happy."

"Now, as for a nerd off... I hate to say... but I'm probably going to crash out. I've been up for three days straight and just now starting to feel the fatigue. I like to keep myself at optimum condition. Since we'll be out on the water tomorrow, I plan on swimming laps after we've made our way."

She adjusts her glasses. "If you want you can join me. Unless swimming isn't your forte."

"Wait... I hope we're heading to warm waters... although the greater effort of swimming in a drysuit would be of at least for me an overall benefit."

She sighs. "Outside of my stamina... I'm not that tough. I can't adapt like Kei or Director Nakamura can."

She pulls out a piece of paper and it folds up into a crane on it's own under Kamiko's power. She hands it to Karrie. "A... bit of an extra thank-you, by the way."

Kei grumbles something about novas shouldn't need lifeguards as she steps over to hang out with Hans while May watched the skyline recede away.

"Kei... you're being high strung again. Calm down and enjoy yourself."

She puts her hand on Kei's shoulder. "You're doing fine. Talk to Hans and get to know him. George too. It's out job to promote international cooperation. Part of the uniform."

Kei sighed. "I don't see you wearing this when we fly, May."

"You don't require a G-Suit or an oxygen supply."

"Touche. Now git... bother George or something. He's being a wallflower."

Nate reached out and took the proffered drink. "Looks like the nerd-off will between us? Anyone else?" This was said loudly enough that it included anyone who might want to join in or challenge.

He looked at the contents of the cup dubiously having never been a drinker as a teen to begin with, then looked back at Karrie, "I see what you are doing here... poisoning the competition before the nerd-off begins to gain an unfair advantage." He lifted the cup in salute, "Good, gives me an excuse if I loose." Before she could return a quip he put the drink to his lips and downed it in one go. Or at least that was the plan... what actually happened was that he got about half of it down when his throat clinched and he choked. He held the drink in his mouth rather than spraying it all over the party guests. It felt like it was searing his flesh and he choked down the mouthful in three very unpleasant swallows.

He bent over eyes watering for a moment trying to breath before standing back up straight and looking Karrie in the eyes. "Wow, that could be used as an effective combat weapon I think!" He took one more deep breath and let it out through his mouth. "I'm probably not the best to test it on because I never developed a taste for alcohol before I erupted. For the sake of science... I feel a slight warmth spreading from my stomach outward, the drink no doubt trying to eat my intestines and esophagus, but other than that I don't feel much."

Spoiler
He has Mega Stamina 5 with adaptability so the drink probably won't do much for him.

App 5, Cha 4, Mega Cha 1 Style 2

Kamiko scratches her chin. "A weaponized aerosol... Would be better than mace, assessing how our Jedi reacted."

"One side of me wants to take blood samples at certain intervals to assess how the Nova Metabolism handles the concoction, the other wants to take him to his quarters and start administering treatments for poisoning."

She adjusts her windbreaker. "Do you require medical assistance?"

There was a way she held herself compared to the others. She wasn't trying to impress or to show off, she just was there, and showed she was there for everyone. "I guess folk'll be glad I'm here for the trip after all." She giggles when she stated that.

"Mad. You're all mad." Rob accused from the railing he was leaning a hip against, watching the party whilst the sparkling water flowed past the yacht's hull. "You wait: you'll all be laid up in your cabins with the linings of your stomachs dissolving and expecting ME to change your sheets." He crossed his arms and shook his head. "Not happening, people. Apart from Kitty, of course. I'll even give her a bed bath. Hey, peoples." He waved at all the newcomers, giving the soberly-clad telepath a narrow second glance before including him in the greeting.

"Whoever said chivalry was dead?" Karrie said ironically from next to Collin, slapping the Jedi-garbed young man on the back. "That's it, try to breathe." she encouraged.

"I'm all about the chivalry." Rob stretched as he straightened from the rail and, leaning over, plopped his pirate hat onto Ming's head. "I travel the land, battling fiery maidens and rescuing ancient dragons."

"This is technically true." Karrie told the others, deadpan. "Well, I dunno about the maidens, unless you count his pre-pubescent fangirls. He did rescue an ancient dragon, though."

"They're not pre-pubescent." Rob said defensively. "Not all of them. And the 'ancient dragon' was a sweet old lady, once she got over her fright. I still go round for tea now and then."

"It was the funniest damn thing." Karrie grinned expansively. "During the tsunami effort, Rob's in this little town up the coast from Fukushima, getting people out. But there's this oba-san who just doesn't want to go without her things. Dear old bat refused to be evacuated, saying that she's had a long life and she'll die in her house, thankyou very much. So Rob's trying to reason with her, but the sea is right outside her door and the old lady just isn't budging."

"What did you do?" Dr Esposita asked Telluris. Next to her, Ming was staring out from under the brim of her hat at Rob.

"I had to think outside the box." Rob said loftily. Coyote howled with laughter.

"He airlifted the whole house. Ripped it up from the foundations and floated it to safety, oba-san and her cats inside." she explained between snorts. "And when he set it down and landed to check on her, the old bat comes out and starts swatting him with her broom, yelling at him in gutter Japanese. It took three police officers to hold her back while Rob ran."

"I didn't run." Rob scowled. "I had more work to do. Besides, she apologised later."

Kei could hear the conversation Rob and Karrie were having so she chimed in. "I saw that. I figured it'd not be a good idea to intervene. I'm... not very good at public relations in that sense. I'm glad you two get along now, though."

She smiled, remembering something. "You still owe me for the transport under attunement though, so you didn't lose your clothes."

"You know... that force field trick I've seen you do might help in that regard. You should practice so you don't end up nakie."

May smiled as she listened to her charge, then walking over to George and Hans.

"So... What have you two been up to?"

"I personally would like to thank you for your efforts, Telluris-san." Kamiko says with a bow. "We are painfully short on Novas and my skill set wasn't apt for attempting what you accomplished. I can barely fly faster than an moped, and you were able to do what you did. Many lives were saved and to be honest the new seawalls you erected are a fine engineering achievement."

She scratches her head. "I doubt I could manage that without a large crew and several years."

She walks over and leans against the rails next to Rob. "I'm starting to like you." She says with a blush, realizing how that could be taken. "Umm... sorry I didn't mean it that way."

“Rob’s going to play,” Karrie said, “and that makes four.” As Rob arched an eyebrow at her presumption, Karrie grinned at the others. “But later. First, I wanna swim or do something fun. I mean, Kitty’s already starting to strip.”

Ming had removed her hat, holding it awkwardly in her hands. Mariposa took it from her with a smile and returned it to Rob, giving him a smile of thanks for his kindness. “I think we are going to go below and settle into our rooms. Kitty? Would you like to come with us?”

The most beautiful blue eyes in the world lifted to the cabin, where Conner was steering their boat. “No,” she said softly, her tail twitching slightly. “I think I’m going to stay up here. Would you mind taking my bags?”

“Not at all.” Mariposa smiled as she accepted Kitty’s bags. Stepping close, she murmured, “Buena suerte, Kitty.” As a faint blush crossed Kitty’s face, Mariposa laughed ruefully and led Ming downstairs. Mari would not begrudge someone else what she would not have but she still felt a twinge of sorrow as she took her ward below decks.

Meanwhile, Kitty went up to join Conner; Karrie’s eyes followed her but the copper-skinned woman didn’t leave her position by Jedi. Instead, she said, “I only wish I’d been there to see it in person. Thankfully, another DSA agent got pictures for me.” Karrie didn’t mention that the agent had been a little sweet on her, mostly because she hadn’t realized. Rob was all too aware that Karrie had gotten pictures of a Japanese grandmother beating him with a broom because of a crush Karrie hadn’t even acknowledged. Life could be truly unfair.

“Rob doesn’t end up ‘nakie’ anymore because of me.” Karrie wondered why the hell a grown woman was talking that way. “His supersuit saved the rest of the world from bare-ass Rob-bage. And I designed that suit.” Karrie was still proud of it, particularly the way it clung to his ass. She was very sorry that he had added those combat pants. Her expression turned quizzical. “And I have to ask – are you really twelve? Why can’t you say naked like an adult?”

"Sorry, I was joking around. I've not had a chance to see the suit, maybe I wasn't paying attention... going mach 12 and all."

The 12 year old quip almost disturbed her calm. Then again, she... seemed more confrontational than Rob or the others. She didn't want to speak to Kamiko... something about her wanted Kei to leave her to her business.

"I... think I'm going to head to my quarters and get a little shut eye unless there's any more festivities planned once we're in international waters."

She scratches her head, looking to May. "Meet you there?"

May nods as Kei heads to her quarters, stretching out.

Kamiko blinked at Kei... she definitely didn't behave like a Japanese girl... she was a brash, awkward american. Maybe an american with Napoleon syndrome? Overcompensating for her size and getting nowhere for the effort...

"You know... I really want to see the bridge now... I'm a real tech nerd. I tend to understand it awfully quick... I don't have the knack for building though. I'm more of a bookworm than anything."

"Unless it has to do with the Human or Nova body, then I'm in my environment."

She happily grins, adjusting her glasses. "I regret missing the symposium... I heard there was a lot of different technicians there. Perhaps next year."

Kamiko was thirsty for Knowledge... a thirst that is never quenched.

She looks up at the bridge and grins. Her curiosity getting the better of her. "Excuse me..."

She hovers up to the bridge deck, to the walkway that encircles it, and lands near the door inside. She opens it and looks around.

"Hello again!" She ways with a smile.

Jedi had read about the symposium and would have liked to attend, but he hadn't been paroled yet at the time. "It would have been interesting to attend the Symposium, but I wasn't free to go." He meant that in a very literal sense and Morgan smirked at the comment.

"I wouldn't have been invited anyway, until today everyone believed I was just a blip."

Morgan frowned but didn't say anything in response, instead he nodded to the group and called out to Conner. "I hate to teleport in just to turn around and go, but I've got a pile of work to do. I just stopped by to drop off the Jedi here at Director Horst's request."

Nate looked at Morgan, "So what am I supposed to do when this thing is over, I don't exactly have a home to go to? Are there barracks at the DSA for me to stay at or something?"

Morgan looked disdainfully at the younger man, "Director Horst just signed you up for a six figure salary and gave you a month's advance, you've got enough cash on you to stay in a suite at the Bellagio if you want."

Jedi raised a skeptical eyebrow, "The advance wasn't that much, but I take your point. I'll find a place when I get back."

Morgan shrugged, unconcerned, but he did take a moment to give greetings to those he had met before and then disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Jedi shook his head, "Sure wish I could do that, but I can't figure out how to do it with the force." Seeing the looks on several of the faces around him he added, "Yes, I know it's really quantum, unfortunately, my subconscious was fixated on Star Wars at the time of my eruption, so all of my abilities seem to mirror those of force users in the movies and books. If I can think of how to do it with the force I have no problem learning it, stuff that Jedi couldn't do is much harder to make work for me."

Kitty was already there, as Connor stood at the wheel steering the boat clear to open seas. He nodded. "Kitty, Kamiko, come up to see the bridge?" he knew from the look in Kitty's eyes she had spmething else in mind. Kamiko was disturbiin g that which he was oddly thankful for. Most men would die for her attention, and in truth he wanted them. Just he was still the host on this voyage. Once he was largely free of shepherding the party out, and the guests settled in and down he hoped, well then things could certainly get interesting.

For Kamiko, the bridge was a wonder of high technology, only a serious enthusiast could tell what it all did and use it effectively.

She looked about, all the touch screens and efficient GUI layouts. Everything was custom, proprietary, and seemed user friendly. This was nothing like her folk's large fishing boat.

"Wow... a bit intimidating actually. I mean... I've been on large ships before, but... I've only really worked with simpler controls for a much smaller boat."

She walked up and stood by him on the bridge. "One day I'll have a ship like this."

"What's it like, Connor? Being a Nova Mecha?"

Connor shrugged. "Very cool, I'll admit. I went from being a simple voice actor to a real one, one able to be the machines as well as any other role."

Kitty nodded. "Let's not forget the "Most handsome man on the planet" part, your fans certainly don't."

Connor nodded. "That too, yes. Though I like to think it's not the biggest factor in my popularity." He looked to Kamiko. "I grew up loving the old mecha shows, something my brother instilled in me from a young age. Now I can become them. Of course I took him for a ride, Giant Robo style once too."

Kitty laughed. "The Halloween prank you pulled last year was classic too."

Kamiko adjusts her comlink glasses. She's never needed them, but the glasses seemed a proper affectation for a intellectual.

"I mostly read books as a child. No television was allowed except for educational programming. Of course the Internet was fair game."

She smiled, looking at the navigation panel. "I hated it honestly. When I erupted... I couldn't stop studying... my brain still thirsts for information."

"Director Nakajima calls me a "Datavore". I consume information like a carnivore eats meat. I just drink it up."

She finds the user's manual... more like a large dictionary and starts speed reading. Lost in a data fugue as she photographically memorizes every page and commits it to memory.

"Hey. It's not my place to judge." Rob grinned at Collin. "You work your mojo through the filter of 'feeling the Force', I work mine through feeling the pulse of the planet, and Karrie works hers through eating too much chocolate and listening to Alanis Morrisette whilst staring moodily at a poster of Mech." Collin chuckled and May grinned as Karrie glared at Rob, then composed her features to a sweet, though evil expression. Rob was going to suffer for that one...

"Pulse of the planet?" May asked. Rob shrugged in reply.

"Pretty much." he told her. "I feel electromagnetic and tectonic currents, then make them respond to me. So what's the rules for this Nerd-Off, Coyote?" he asked, giving Karrie a big smile.

“The DSA Science Symposium? That was for all scientists, baseline or otherwise.” Karrie's remark was casual but her dark eyes lingered on Jedi for a moment. “If you need help finding a place, I could see if my landlord has something available.” Her offer was sincerely made; it seemed she did know when to stop joking, sometimes.

Kitty watched Kamiko for a moment, a smile quirking her lips. Since the woman seemed distracted, Kitty turned to doing a bit of distracting of her own. Leaning against Mech, she rested her head on his shoulder and murmured, “Can I drive the boat?”

“I do recall promising you that,” he answered as he glanced down at her.

“You did.” Kitty ducked under his long arms and pressed her back against his front. Her hands came to rest on top of his. “Wanna teach me how to drive your boat right now?”

Meanwhile, plans were being laid, despite the discomforting feeling that Rob’s smile was evoking in the butterflies in Karrie's stomach. She processed despite them, pressing onward bravely. “The Nerd-Off is going to be simple. One of us poses a question to the person to their right, or if we’re doing teams, one team poses a question to the other. Answer right, that person or team gets a point. When we’re bored with it or something more interesting comes along, we’ll stop. Whoever has the most points at that time wins bragging rights. Questions?”

"It is fairly simple really. It is a shame that a ship as complex and equipped as this can't be navigated the old way with just the stars and a sextant."

She takes off her yachting windbreaker and sets it on a counter near the helm, after slipping her backpack off. She was wearing what looked like a body-tight white with red detailing undergarment under the jacket. A Japanese flag was prominent on the shoulders of the upper arms of the suit. Kamiko's name was written in Japanese on the left breast. The material looked like a rubber or vinyl, but it's exact origins were unknown.

Note
It is a modified MHI "Hoshi" Tension Suit, modded for terrestrial field use.

She steeples her hands together and interweaves her fingers. She stretches and cracks her knuckles with a smile.

"Actually, I was thinking of catching some sleep... I was thinking of catching it here, since there's still a lot of manuals and charts to read and memorize."

She smiled, not really bothered by Kitty asking to take the controls. Kamiko just wanted to sleep in a quiet and seemingly... serene place. She could see the water so easily from the Bridge's vantage point... from all around... 360 degrees.

"This ship is well designed by the way. The 360 degree view of the ship and the waters around it can only enhance the overall navigational safety."

She finds a area on the bridge that was wide open enough and pulls her backpack over and starts digging.

Then there is a knock on the window. It was Director Nakajima. "Kamiko... There is a emergency meeting back in Tokyo, You're needed at once."

Kamiko sighed, putting her Jacket back on.

"Sorry Connor, but tonight won't work out after all."

She walks out and lets the Director grab her and after clearing the boat zooms off at a break-neck speed west.

May steps a couple steps back to observe what is about to happen. She spots Kei lurking about for the mess hall of the ship and she calls Kei over. "Hey... you gotta watch this..."

"Really? I just found some extra snacks..."

"Kei... did you ask?"

"What? This is a party..."

"Leave them be..."

Kei looked a bit disappointed. "Oh alright... Whats about to start? That Nerd-Off thing?"

May nods as Kei leans up against a rail, this time making sure it's not one that's hinged to open overboard. "This... I gotta see."

Jedi looked at Karrie thoughtfully, he could use some help finding a place and with his project. "I'd rather do this as individuals than in teams."

An idea had been forming in his mind over the last few days of a project that would really complete his persona as a Jedi and it would really cause Lucas and his lawyers to get their panties in a knot. The thing was, Nate knew he didn't have the skills necessary to pull it off alone. Making his comm device and it's accessories was one thing, but the project was something else entirely.

So while he waited for the others to decide on doing this individually or as teams he added, "If you can beat me, in the nerd-off then I might let you help with my next project."

"You know... don't monopolize her too much. I might make some requests as well sometime... and don't you already have a Lightsaber?"

She smiled. "Well... then again I have always thought accessories make the lady... or the man."

She stretched out, feeling the material of the suit underneath her flight gear have some give.

"I think the first thing I'm going to do is commission a new flight suit... one that is tough enough to withstand my speeds... and perhaps tough enough to protect me a little in the process."

Nate unclipped a lightsaber from his belt and handed it to Kei. "Unfortunately, it only works in my hands, so it's more of a prop, than a real invention."

As she looked it over it was clear that it was of beautiful workmanship and felt good in the hand, almost the way a real katana feels better than one of the knock-offs that you find for sale at the mall.

"I wasn't planning on monopolizing anyone. That offer was open to anyone who can beat me in the nerd-off, and I expect that will probably be all of you."

Kei adjusts her goggles on her head. "Well, something to keep yours truly interested until we hit international water."

"Alright I'll bite."

Kei wasn't exactly the nerdy type... but this is a contest, and her blood was boiling.

"Kei... you got that look on your face." May said, sighing.

"Don't worry about it, I've read my share of comic books and watched my share of Star Wars movies..."

"Your funeral, Kei."

Secretly, May thought to join in, but decided not to.

“Individual is fine.” Privately, Karrie wondered if Jedi had some trust issues after prison. She wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he did. Prison was hardly a place where one’s faith in humanity was fostered by the populace.

However, her leniency toward him didn’t extend toward his announcement regarding his project. “Oh, and whether I help anyone with any project has nothing to do with whether I win some contest or not, and everything to do with how they ask me for help. So far, you’re not doing too hot there. Namely, by assuming that my award for winning the Nerd-Off was getting to help you on some unknown project.” Again, her words were hard, but her tone wasn’t that mean. She was speaking bluntly but not unkindly.

“And Kei is right – my work on projects outside my DSA assignments is dependent on my free time and whim, and sometimes on the fees I charge.” At their looks, she smiled, spread her hands wide and said, “Guys, I don’t do charity. I charge for my freelance projects. If you want to get my work gratis then request it through official channels or you need to ask me really nicely. I mean, Rob’s gotten a promise of free work out of me already today, and that’s only because I feel really sorry that he hasn’t found the right sheep yet.” While the others were processing that little gem, she flashed Rob a mocking smile as he rolled his eyes at her. “So if you want my help, Jedi and Kei, that’s how to get it. I am willing to help, but if you assume that I’m going to say yes to anything you ask of me, you’re going to be setting yourself up for some disappointment.”

"Well, I actually got the personal funds, Karrie. And through the DSA, they can at the very least toss in a little extra if it helps me in my missions."

May sighs. "Kei, the DSA requisition fund isn't your private credit account."

"No... I know that. I just want to make sure a fellow co-worker gets the proper compensation for her efforts."

Nate chuckled, "Peaked your interest at least?" After a second he got serious, "Actually, I'm pretty sure you are a lot smarter than I am if what I've read is true, and I've got an idea for a project that I'd like to do, so I was hoping you might be willing to lend me a hand on a couple of the really difficult bits."

He didn't think his six figure salary was going to go very far, certainly not far enough to get Karrie's help on what he needed. "We can talk about it later. Maybe I can do something for you sometime to earn a favor. Or maybe I should ask Rob how to go about asking you really nicely." The last was just good natured joking and he hoped she would recognize that.

Looking to Rob he added jokingly, "Scottish?" His own family had deep English roots but more than a few of his ancestors had been Scottish and he was quite familiar with the jokes about Scots wearing kilts instead of pants because sheep would hear a zipper being lowered.

"Actually, what I am thinking of commissioning is a flight suit for myself and May. One with an integrated G-Garment, all of the usual expected gear integrated into the suit, and that is wearable for all climates and has some protection against small arms fire. While I've not much of an issue when piloting, May... can't handle G-forces very well, and if we have to be dormed we definitely need the protection."

She stretches out. "In fact the DSA has been looking for something to trump what Mitsubishi came up with for Department 0. A sort of garment that not only works as a space suit, but has various options that their agents require for their missions. The DSA... is behind. Particularly for protective gear for their human agents."

"I've given some input on what I would require, and I got the specific requirements based on what I know and some feedback from other agents and May over here as to what they would like to see."

May smiles. "If needed I can take some time for measurements for the suit when you're ready to start."

"Yeah, and same here." Kei adds. "I'd like something to wear under my active armor to provide some added protection and when I run out of juice. And... I could use a change of look."

"Just admit it, you want a new flight suit." May lectures.

All Kei could do is sigh and bow her head in shame. "Yeah... I do."

“I’m always interested in building stuff.” Karrie’s eyes glinted with curiosity, though she was clearly trying to play it cool. “As for what Rob did, he only saved my life a time or two. That’s all.” The smile she sent the lanky Telluris said clearly that despite the barbs they traded, she was truly fond of him. It was the kind of smile that men longed to have directed at them by cute girls.

Her attention was diverted by Kei and Karrie’s discerning gaze settled solely on the other nova. She listened to Kei’s request, nodding slowly by the time it was done. “I’ll give it some thought over the weekend. I’ll have an estimate and cost calculation by the time we disembark, and you can decide if you want to follow up.”

“You don’t have to work on your weekend off,” May started to say, but Karrie cut her off with a smile.

“It’s not work to think. It’ll actually give me something to do in the breaks in conversation.” Karrie was careful not to say that the “breaks” in conversation were actually during conversation. When you were as smart as Karrie, you had to have something to keep yourself from getting bored when others were talking.

Kei giggles, the thought of getting something completely custom designed was getting her jazzed up.

"Great! As long as we don't blue-screen ya, we'll be more than happy to fuel that CPU brain of yours!" She says with an impish grin.

"And the pay will be more than adequate." May says, pulling out her smart-phone, making some moves on her DSA acquisitions account and managing May's current financial portfolio that could take a minor hit. Assessing a guesstimate from the Mitsubishi design, she decides to ear mark it as a "Prototype Test" and moves the funds into the proper place.

"So... enough business." Kei says."Fun... Now."

"What, this isn't fun?" Jedi smiled. "Talking tech is probably the most fun we can have until we hit international waters." He made a casual reaching gesture and his lightsaber sailed easily back into his hand and he clipped it to his belt, but not before a flourished salute to Karrie.

"It might take a time or two of saving your life to earn the favor I'm looking for." He smiled at Karrie not giving more detail yet. He wanted a chance to talk to the mega-smart nova before he opened up about the project.

To Kei he asked, "So what kind of fun did you have in mind?"

"One question... Can you fly?" She said with a wink.

Almost immediately May Interrupts. "Kei... no. You are not taking him on a flight."

"Aww come on..." She looks to the real-life Jedi. "Don't tell me you don't like a little adventure now and again. If needed I can quickly grab a parachute for you..."

May just glares. "Kei..."

Kei holds a finger up. "Alright, and I'll provide a life vest. Damn regs..."

May stretches out and puts her hand on Kei's shoulder. "See... if you're careful things won't go horribly wrong. Just... be annoyingly wrong."

Kei grumbles... "Right... but yeah... care for a flight?"

Kei forgets her annoyance about May's rules and actually starts back to her interest in the Jedi before her.

Karrie knew little about relationships, so when she saw Kei turn back to Jedi and take a closer look, she decided to do a little matchmaking. “You know, a flight would probably be fun! You should take Jedi on a flight. I love it when Rob takes me flying.” As Rob raised his eyebrows remembering all of Karrie’s terrified exclamations and scared shoulder-clutching, Karrie pushed on enthusiastically. “There’s nothing quite so thrilling as experiencing flight without a machine! And by the time you get back, we should be ready for the Nerd-Off. In fact, I’m going to see if Connor wants to join us while you guys enjoy yourselves. Rob and May, you should come with me.”

“Subtle,” Rob murmured as Karrie headed up for the cabin.

Kamiko’s sudden departure was a blessing, as far as Kitty was concerned. The blonde bombshell leaned back into Connor a little, her ass pressing against him firmly. Connor’s natural reaction to this was to be expected but the big man kept it mostly under control. Kitty had a way of pushing his limits, particularly when her tail curled up between his legs and wrapping around his thigh. “We’re alone,” she whispered huskily.

“No, there’s other people on the boat.” Connor’s own voice was rather heated but remained steady.

Kitty turned in his arms and looped hers around his neck. “There’s no one here.” Her lips were inches from his-

Which was when Karrie popped onto the bridge and made a liar of her. “I came up…” Karrie’s voice trailed away as she realized that she was on the verge of seeing Kitty macking on her Connor. “Wow, Debauchery Central!” That was dumb, Karrie.

“Nothing that interesting.” Connor lightly played it off as he detangled himself from the pouting Kitty. “Come up to see the cabin?”

“Kinda,” Karrie said, giving the instruments a cursory glance before diverting her attention to the true focus of her interest. “Once you’re done up here, we’re going to have a Nerd-Off, and I was wondering if you’d like to join us, Connor?” Brown eyes paused and glanced at Kitty quickly before adding, “You can play to, if you think you have a shot in hell.” The words were a challenge.

Connor nodded, greatful to Karrie for the save. He really really hoped that he'd have been able to stop Kitty, if only to be a good example, and he knew how close to being lost he was gonna be. "I may not be as smart as some, or have an outstanding memory, but I like to believe I can hold my own, I'd accept that challenge."

Kitty looked at the dark-haired inventor and nodded, goaded into it if nothing else than the frustration of being interrupted. "I'm in, What are the stakes of this little game?"

"Stakes? The reward for winning the Nerd-Off is bragging rights!" Karrie managed to make this sound cool and interesting, somehow.

"So the right to tell other nerds you're better than them?" Kitty asked, smirking a little.

"No, the right to know that you're better than all the other nerds in the game." Karrie's reply was slightly acerbic.

Kitty smiled in reply, but Connor could tell she was baring her claws, as much as the gentle blonde would bare her claws socially. "I suppose that's something. But I think it'd be more fun to get Rob up here and really make this place Debauchery Central." Kitty's grin was teasing and wicked, particularly when she saw the blush that exploded over the shorter woman's face. Kitty hadn't really cared for how mean the other girl was; it didn't matter to her that Karrie didn't think it was mean. Her words were hard and for Kitty, it was nice to see that there was one subject that put the woman in her place. She and Rob must not have been dating long or she's very prudish.

"Someone say debauchery central?!" Rob stuck his be-hatted head into the cabin, warm brown eyes dancing from face to face. "I only packed one can of Cheez-Whiz, which at most will stretch to a threesome." Features locked in a mournful expression, he shrugged. "I suppose I could fly back to land and get some more..."

"Why do you need Cheez-Whi... You know what, forget it." Kitty said, trying not to giggle at Rob's disingenuous expression.

"Everything's better with Cheez-Whiz." Rob asserted firmly, looking over his shoulder at the smirking May. "Hey, don't knock it till you try it." he said conspiratorially, waggling his eyebrows. "We're all alone on a boat headed for international waters, where anything goes... and goes about 23 times better with Cheez-Whiz. Whaddya say?"

"I think I'll pass until I've had more to drink." May retorted, doing her best to be impervious to charm... Which was hard to manage with Rob. "A LOT more to drink."

"Suit yourself. I'll save it for Doctor Esposita."

"Save what for me?" Mariposa asked as she came up through the other door. The doctor had changed into a white sarong and loose linen shirt, obviously worn over a bathing suit, but nevertheless a stunning effect when matched with her white-feathered wings and contrasted with her dark olive skin. Four sets of eyes followed her gaze to Rob, who didn't miss a beat.

"Cheez-Whiz." he said, blinking in mild astonishment, as though that explained everything. The doctor hesitated for a moment, and Rob's nod of encouragement didn't help.

"Cheez... Whiz?" she asked, one eyebrow quirking upwards.

"I only brought one can." Rob explained blithely.

Archived