Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - Magisterium OOC

Dawn OOC

Creating and destroying matter...and I was going to have Mary get into some machines too. Not so much as an inventor, admittedly...

I just didn't want to start out that way. I didn't want her to be 'another Genesis' clone.

Blargle. Perhaps it's time to have a backup character, just in case. Might be fun to have that regardless, in fact... We can have backups in Magisterium, right? Or am I confusing it with another game?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Creating and destroying matter...and I was going to have Mary get into some machines too. Not so much as an inventor, admittedly...

I just didn't want to start out that way. I didn't want her to be 'another Genesis' clone.

Blargle. Perhaps it's time to have a backup character, just in case. Might be fun to have that regardless, in fact... We can have backups in Magisterium, right? Or am I confusing it with another game?

Yes, you can submit an alt to me at any time (max one per month and I'll kill anyone submitting to me that often) and play either them or Mary in plot threads (one at a time, please). Your alt can gain experience through fictions and plots like anyone else.

Cool, thanks.

I've thought about my reservations, and I feel like I should clarify what I've expressed. I'll start by making it clear that in no way am I assuming any negligence or intent to harm on Dawn or Stargaizer's part. This isn't a covert 'stab in the back' from me. :)

My concern isn't so much of overlap, it's of a large narrowing in my possibilities of things to pursue in the future. I've already accepted a small one, in the interests of fairness and of community. We have a small 'overlap' between Mary and our chemical-creator. Technically, Mary could do almost all the same things he can, and in some ways better. In reality, I won't be doing that. I've absolutely no problem with accepting this limit, because it makes the game better and happier, and because I have at least one other giant realm to develop Mary into, and that's tools and machines.

But if I find myself obliged to forego that as well, then what's left? Can't do drugs or chemicals or poisons. Can't do machines and tools. I guess I can drop rocks on people, or keep the whole "domes of metal" thing going, but that's not development. I can do that now.

Mary is a character that is back-loaded. Her prime years are yet to come. While most people look at what they can do, I look at what she will do in the future. Honestly, I'd much prefer overlap with her now, as long as that didn't limit my options for growth in the future. This strikes me as the opposite of that. It's overlap (matter creation/destruction) AND limiting growth. That's why I'm a little butthurt right now. :)

I do want to work with y'all to resolve this though. And if necessary, I guess Mary's still undeveloped enough and/or annoying enough in her total out-of-tune-ness with everyone that I can replace her with another concept. I'd like to avoid that though.

Here's something I'll put on the table just to start us off. What about a genius inventor who does NOT create and destroy matter? He could then -teach- Mary stuff, and Mary would still be useful in her capacity to bring his designs to fruition and provide material to work with. And she'd be a sidekick in the lab too.

Thoughts?

After much debate and discussion (and still without an approved character sheet)

Isaac Romanov

Late 20's CSI Lab Tech. Recently discovered by the DEHA (as in, will be discovered when I start). He can summon elemental minions. The type depends on what is at hand, but he can summon several.

Again, I'll post in the roster thread once approved!

Addendum:

Night Sorrow [attacking Travis] Shrieking Call Cone Affliction

--Dodge DC 20, Toughness DC 25

Is this really a Toughness resist, and what are the effects of failed resist?

When you attack with an Affliction I'd suggest listing the stages for the people rolling to save to help speed things up. :)

My only comment is that Homing doesn't kick in until the start of the player's next turn. E.g. Nyght's homing blast will roll again on Nyght's next turn, next round.

So noted. Now I know why people are less interested in Homing than I thought they should be - I misunderstood the way it worked. :P Live and learn, I guess.

Addendum:

Is this really a Toughness resist, and what are the effects of failed resist?

When you attack with an Affliction I'd suggest listing the stages for the people rolling to save to help speed things up. :)

It's a Fort resist, in reality, but I don't remember the stages, probably (going off memory here) dazed-stunned-unaware. Basically the noise hurts and disorients, really hurts and really disorients or locks you in a haze of pain. It's basically a sonic attack. Sorry about not getting that information out there.

I had to share this tidbit from chat - Enjoy!

jameson wonders if all his teammates should have perhaps gotten a temporary complication: "travis is on my team?"

[Jeremy] 9:22 am: Jim: Yeah, every mission, the other current teammates get that

[Jeremy] 9:22 am:

[Carver-working] 9:23 am: I am considering it awarding HPs to anyone teamed up with Travis and Fahren.

[jameson] 9:23 am: and all of jer's get "Oh, great, the greasy kid."

[Jeremy] 9:24 am: lol

[Carver-working] 9:24 am: No, he just smells like soap.

[Jeremy] 9:24 am: Jim: He's not greasy.

[Jeremy] 9:24 am: Carv: Drugs

[Joani] 9:24 am: that's a valid Complication Imho

[jameson] 9:24 am: Bekka's team get the "Cat in Heat" complication

[Carver-working] 9:24 am: I'm referring to that harsh chemical cleanser.

[jameson] 9:25 am: Mary's get "wait why did we bring her?"

[jameson] 9:25 am: etc

[jameson] 9:25 am: we'll be rolling in the HPs!

There are two effects here: the fall and the falling trees. Or as Mala just put it:

“The fall, the shit falling on you and the shit on fire.”

Luckily, the shit on fire isn’t affecting you – yet.

The Fall

For Mary (assuming she doesn’t do her Tower of Power), the soldiers and the RR, the damage for falling more than 30 feet is +6, they have a Damage DC of 21. For Seeker, Lamia and Strike, the damage is +4, so the Damage DC is 19. For Fenris, the damage is +2, so DC 17.

The Shit Falling on You

(Or revenge of the Dying Ents)

The soil is gone and the trees (those left) are falling anywhere from 30 feet to just tipping over as half the dirt under them is gone. The trees in the middle are splinters now after Travis, and the cabin disappeared with everything else. So Mary, soldiers and the RR have no shit falling on them. Seeker, Lamia and Strike will all have to make a Dodge DC of 16, followed by a toughness save of 18 if you make the save and 21 if you don’t.

Questions?

I have removed the RR's and soldiers from the action. If people want to target them, that's fine, but they are all hurt and naked, and none of them really have any fight left in them.

Also, it means once we resolve the issue with Seeker, we can finish this bastard.

So resolution of the tug-o-war. I'm going to put this here and if I'm off my rocker (always possible) then Jim can set me straight. Mala and Jordan, feel free to resolve this while I'm AWOL.

My logic is that both of the PCs are making opposing Grab attacks. So far, both has succeeded in their to-hit rolls; Seeker's was a Perception power and Mala got a total of 27 to grab him (more than enough to get a hold of him, even though Seeker had him). Here's what the book says on the Grab:

Make an attack check against the target. If successful, the target makes a resis-tance check against your Strength (or the rank of a grab-bing effect) using the better of Strength or Dodge. If you win with one degree of success, the target is restrained (immobile and vulnerable). Two or more degrees leave your opponent bound (defenseless, immobile, and im-paired). You can attempt to improve an existing hold with another grab action on a following turn. Any result-ing degrees of success are cumulative, but if you lose, the target escapes.

So I believe that both have to make opposed checks using the better of Strength or Dodge. The winner of that gets the kid. I was also wrong in that the roll was resolved in the same round, not the round after. I apologize. If you guys want to get your rolls up ASAP, I'll make a point of checking on this thread as soon as I can to update.

Travis can tell that his powers are being copied. But at this range, unless he has the perception to see that far, I doubt he can see who was responsible for it. However, Seeker was also using his power willy nilly on the battlefield, so figuring out who was responsible is less difficult.

May I adjust the EE I did, with the new rules for opposed grapples and a better understanding of the rules in general after talking to Jim? This was player ignorance and a shift in rules....I'll understand if you say no, but I do feel like I just wasted those two HP. :(

Also, this is just a curiosity question, but when Seeker copies someone's powers, do they know which powers and to what degree?

Sure I can do that Jim. Just as a note, Dawn and I have a PM going for just this vary thing. Every time I dupe powers A post goes in there so we are both aware of exactly what Seeker has copied.

Anyhoo, here is what he has at the moment...

Kinetic Movement & Defense

Telekinetic Flight: Flight 10 (2000 MPH) (Platform, Subtle 2)

AP Telekinetic Shield: Protection 10 (Limited (Requires materials to build shield)) and Telekinetic Flight: Flight 5 (60 MPH) (Platform, Subtle 2)

Telekinetic Mastery Array

Telekinesis: Perception Ranged Damaging Move Object 7 (Precise, Subtle 2)

AP Telekinetic Hammer: Ranged Burst Area 2 (60 feet) Damage 7 (Subtle 2)

AP Telekinetic Snare: Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction 7 (Resisted by Dodge, overcome by Damage; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile) (Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Limited (There must be materials about to bind the target))

He also has Travis' power tell but he is not using his force field at the moment. if I've done the math wrong, let me know.

Dammit, you are right. Okay I'm going to drop the Alternate Effect on the Movement Array. So no force field...

Edit: I just read your 1.3 post Jim... Nice! Although I currently have no toughness bonus atm so there is a very good chance you will put me to dying, or kill me. :)

Not if he kills me outright!

Edit: And he has.

[Jordan] 1:33 pm: hey guys

[Jordan] 1:34 pm: Anyone wanna watch me roll Seekers toughness saves and see if he dies?     

[novakowski] 1:34 pm: sure

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 1: 1

[Jordan] 1:34 pm: ouch...

[envoy] 1:35 pm: heh. return the favor watching me roll my pc in ItB for stealth and perception?

[Jordan] 1:35 pm: lol

[Jordan] 1:35 pm: I still have 2 more to roll

[Jordan] 1:35 pm: But sure!

[envoy] 1:36 pm: coo, I'll do that in a few minutes then. typing up the fluff now.

[Jordan] 1:37 pm: That is 4 degrees of failure on the first roll. Incapacitated.

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 6-1: 5

[Jordan] 1:37 pm: 4 Degrees of failure. Dying.

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 8-2: 6

[envoy] 1:37 pm: ack.

[Jordan] 1:37 pm: 3 Degrees of Failure. Dead.

• 2 weeks later...

All current Magi threads are updated, closed or opened as needed. I'll be starting the next threads for the newly approved PCs shortly. For that I need to know who among the PCs would take advantage of a trip to civilization. Please let me know your interest here.

Please keep in mind, for those with physical tells, you will need to hide them, as civilization means "metropolis".

Archived