Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - Magisterium OOC

Dawn OOC

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay I'm working up some terminology that seeker uses to identify general mutant themes. Some of these may have bled over into general DEHA useage. I have 1 so far:

Feral: Mutants who have either physical or mental animalistic mutations.

Hey guys, just so you know, I am working 9 am to 9 pm today and tomorrow so I won't be able to post much untill leter in the evening. Right now I am on my phone and am very limited to what I can do.

Oh, and two more terms for slang;

Elementals: mutants that control the 4 classical elements or variations there of (air, fire water, earth, plants, steam, ice, sand, metal, etc.)

Sculpters: mutants who create, transmute, alter or destroy matter on a fundamental or molecular level.

Proposed slang

Manimal: Pertaining to a mutant with physical, animalistic characteristics, resulting in them resembling an anthropomorphic beast to one degree or another. Less rarely, used to describe a mutant with mental, emotional, and/or social attributes of animals.

Furry: A non-mutant intrigued or attracted to a mutant with animal-like attributes, though not necessarily having any sexual interest in such. Many participate in the Furry fandom community on the internet as a surrogate for their interest. Derogatory. See Manimal.

Yowling: Engaging in sexual intercourse with a mutant with animalistic characteristics, regardless if the other person is a mutant or not. Term first coined when Liliana 'Tiger-Lily' Grigenko went into heat, her pheromones causing another mutant with animal characteristics in the same zoo to react instinctively. See Manimal, Furry.

Pet Palace: A portion of a zoo or a separate domicile entirely designed and developed to a house a preferred pet or useful, compliant mutant where it is believed comfort and positive reinforcement will achieve greater results than force. Also used to isolate favoured mutants and Program Babies and Program Born from the retaliation and/or negative influences of other mutants. Sometimes referred to as a Birdcage or Gilded Cage. See Pet, Program Baby, Program Born, Zoo.

Well, I only proposed Manimal because Carver had already used Feral for something else. I had been considering Anthro (from Anthropomorphic) instead, even though 'Anthro' actually means human or humanlike. Was also debating 'Therian' or 'Therry,' derived from Therianthropy (which is another name from shapeshifting - Therion means 'wild animal' or 'beast') but I thought that reference would be too obscure.

I could call them Beastials (or is it Bestials?).

More Slang:

Projector: mutants that emit or control some form of energy.

Changeling: mutants that can alter their phyical form

Adept: mutantswhose mutations enhacetheir human abilities (both inborn talents and trained skills)

Twister: mutants who control "conceptual" energy sources such as Time, Space, or Probability

Vamp or Leech: mutants who somehow affect or rely on the mutations of others such as power negators, contollers copiers and thieves

Note: many mutants fall into two or more of these cagtegories. For truly unusua mutations that defy a one or two word categorization, Seeker uses the term Enigma

I was thinking ... the mutants have been around a while, and even the DEHA has been (after a fashion) for some time, perhaps looking back to older terms, and culture would help.

A mutant with animal traits might be known as a Moreau for instance, after the HG Wells novel. Or even a minotaur if you want to go way back.

These ideas are fine. Seeker, I was under the impression that the ones you were making were for Seeker's personal use in his categorization of mutants he'd met. That's why I didn't say anything about the use of Ferals. Can you please clarify?

Asa, I'll add those into the slang.

Just because they're there doesn't mean that everyone uses them. I'd also like the mutants to develop words and phrases of their own, since much of what we have is created by the military. Would it help if I separated them out?.

Yes, these terms are what seeker personally uses when in the field and doesn't have time to give a more accutate description. They are a form of shorthand for him essentgally. Thus anyone who has worked with him in the past world familiar with them. I would guess that the soldiers and other mutants who regularly work with Seeker would use these terms but whether or not they see any wider usage than that is up to you.

Yes, these terms are what seeker personally uses ...

I would imagine that many mutants have some personal slang that may or may not persist when they are in a group. Travis calls normals blips for instance, and also calls mimics and thieves leeches (its just a good term). Mutant slang is likely to be highly variable since there really isn't a "mutant culture" of its own. You may get groups at the same camps who use the same terms, and those terms may spread if mutants get transferred out, but by and large its not unreasonable for there to be dozens of derogatory terms for mutants who are loyal to humans, or nicknames for the wild child mutants or what have you.

Very true Jim. My main reson for posting these waso that readers would understand what the hell Seeker means even if the characters don't. I've also tried to keep them fairly neutral although Bestial and Headcase fail on that level.

I like the term Moreau but itMs probably a reference Uly doesn't get, so I'm sticking with Bestial until someonesuggests something better IC BL

Seeker, do you mind putting your personal slang in a spoiler in your signature? That'd be great for the rest of us. I can keep track of/follow the few Travis has (and if more PCs start using them, they'll end up in the Slang) but you have a number there. I'd like for you to be able to use it!

I added a bit more information about the National Agencies and what they mean within DEHA's operations:

DEHA operates through funding from the UN, and in reality, they control the mutants completely. However, within DEHA, there are National Agencies which are staffed by members of the country. These were created in 1960 in an attempt to give nations more control over their mutants. While DEHA retains much of the control and can override these National Agencies, they allow them leeway to operate mutants within DEHA guidelines and according to their national interests. The nations are keenly aware that these agencies only exist deep within DEHA files and are funded solely by DEHA.

This was also added to the World History.

PS: If this isn't asked too much - I would've spent a HP trying to withstand the Nullify effect. I understand if you don't want to "retcon" this but if given the chance, I'd like a reroll.

I rolled for you only because I had an NPC whose actions were reacting to you, so I needed to know immediately the outcome. Because I'd rather not go back and edit things, I'll give you an HP (as I'm circumventing the rules of the game).

I'm an equal opportunity D-bag!

And I love you for it.

A note that I added to the House Rules/FAQ:

Character sheets

When approved, please put your character sheet in a spoiler box in your signature. This does not mean that character sheets are public. This means that I have them done that way so that I can easily access the notes I need to run the game. I trust that my players are mature enough to not go digging in people's sheets unless they ask permission first. If you have information about someone's sheet, do not disclose this to other players unless they specifically permit it. Please remember to be courteous and respect other's privacy.

Another addition to the House Rules/FAQ. I sincerely apologize that I wasn't forward-thinking enough to institute this from the beginning, as this was instinctively how I was thinking about abilities. So I'm adding it now.

Mutant and Human Abilities

A human’s max Ability ranking is 5. A mutant is allowed to surpass this limitation, to the PL limits. However, any abilities that rise above 5 must be bought as the power, Enhanced Ability. This does mean that these traits can be copied and are vulnerable to nullification. Certain abilities can be purchased as innate, but they should be the primary ability for the character. Please ask me if you're unsure.

I ask that my current PCs make the switch on their signature character sheets as soon as they can. I'll give people until 6/20 (one week) before I get grumpy about it. Costs are the same, so PP expendature should be the same. If you feel that an Ability is a primary Ability for the PC and should be Innate, please contact me privately and we'll discuss. I don't anticipate this being a huge issue, and we'll work out who the Innate will be paid for (though most of you have PP at the moment).

Questions?

Archived