Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - Magisterium OOC

Dawn OOC

Mutants have been with us since the beginning of human history, passing unnoticed because of their small numbers and government persecution. But since World War II, humans have been using and abusing mutants for their own ends. Now a mutant seeks to free his people, but he can’t do it alone…

Interested in Magisterium? Start with these links!
World History in Brief
Operational Policies of DEHA
Slang of the World
DEHA-RUS Reference Database

Ready to make a character?
House Rules / FAQ
PC and NPC Histories/Backgrounds

PM your background and stats to Dawn OOC.

Folks, welcome to our official OOC thread. Also, welcome to our new board! As always, a giant thanks to Chosen, as I didn't even get a chance to PM him before he set this up for us. Chosen, you are the best!

Next, to business: Travis, I made those edits. I added a bit too. ;) For the rest of you: if I get a description or visual wrong, please let me know. I'm always happy to alter my posts (though that will be done time permitting) to make the world more real.

Third, I'd like everyone to put their character's history into the DEHA Offical Mutant Files; I'd like you to do it in the style of the OMF form. If you haven't picked a Codename, please either do so or have me pick one for you. Those who do it will get a 1 PP reward, so long as all the fields I created are filled in. I know that it's a bit unusual to have PCs and NPCs together, but you guys are all part of one world. Until we have a character subforum, this is the way I'd like to do it. There's PP in it for you! Sweet, sweet, PP...

Last: Alts. I will allow Alts, as many as you like. Only one Alt may be active in a plot thread at a time (no, as a current example, having one in Stone and another in Conquest). I will only review and approve one Alt a month for a given player. All Alts will have a prelude with me before play starts. Alts may participate in fictions. Please be aware, most of the plot will center around David's group to start, at least until/if people leave on their own. If your Alt isn't going to be with the group to start, you might be a little lonely and at a loss. Feel free to start a school for mutants, if you like. ;)

With all that said: game on!

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dawn. Do Alts start in captivity like the starting characters?

Yes, with a good enough story.

This is my unhappy face.

It's unhappy because I wanted character numbers in spoiler boxes. I'd asked before. Now I'm telling you that if I don't see them by next Sunday, I'll inflicting a PP penalty on anyone without them. It is the players responsibility to keep those in the signature and keep them updated. Please don't make me be an asshole.

Dawn, I have a question. In Conquest when the RR hits Trav with the electrical cannon you wrote:

RR #1 [attacking Travis] Electric Cannon: 20+6 = 26 vs 28, Hit but not a crit Damage DC is 25

But as near as I can tell nothing boosted Travis' dodge by +10 and so his Dodge DC to be hit would still only be 18 making that a rather sound critical hit and Damage DC 30. Is this correct as written or am I correct and have a very not fun Damage check ahead of me?

Dawn, I have a question. In Conquest when the RR hits Trav with the electrical cannon you wrote:

But as near as I can tell nothing boosted Travis' dodge by +10 and so his Dodge DC to be hit would still only be 18 making that a rather sound critical hit and Damage DC 30. Is this correct as written or am I correct and have a very not fun Damage check ahead of me?

From what my bamaged drain tells me from its thoughts last night, I think I added your protection bonus to your dodge. So yeah... Not very fun Damage check. Please remember you have earned an HP - you know. Just in case. >.>

As a heads-up:

I realised when going over Fenny's sheet that I'd overspent by 2 PPs on his Wolf's Claws power, having put 5 PPs into the power but failing to take into account the -2 to the cost due to the Activation limitation. I've corrected that, so going-forwards Fenris's claws now add 6 to his damage, and he has the Hide in Plain Sight advantage.

Kockup corrected. ;)

Rather than run with "perfect" combat rounds, I'm going to ask that everyone post their combat actions by Sunday. Otherwise, we're going to take months to get this done. This way we're a round a week instead of a round a month (or so).

With this, if you don't post by Sunday, I'll assume combat paralysis; your PC will only do the minimal to defend themselves. Game on.

Mew. Just to make sure I don't post something I later have to retract...Lamia threw the tank successfully, yes? So is there anyone else visibly threatening Mary and Lamia? If not, is there anyone else in eyeshot who's still being mean? :)

I believe she did throw it (I cannot imagine that the tank would get a resistance roll to avoid being grabbed). Other than that there are the two Power Armored RR Soldiers, and Roid Rage Girl (who has a tank incoming for her head) facing off with Shiny Happy Bright Boy. Any other players on the board are unknown to me.

Optional Rule I am putting up for Carver's approval. This is from the GMs Guide;

Knockback

Super-powerful attacks can send opponents flying. A character failing a Damage resistance check by two or more degrees may be knocked back. The distance is based on the rank of the effect and the target’s mass and durability. Take the Damage rank and subtract the target’s Toughness rank. Subtract the target’s Growth rank (if any). In addition, effects such as a Feature defined as extra weight or density should subtract its rank. Add the Strength modifier of a character with Shrinking (so +2 for a character with Shrinking 8, for example).

Knockback = Damage - Toughness - modifiers

The target is knocked back that distance value. A result of –5 or less results in no knockback. –4 or –3 means the character falls prone in roughly the same spot (although a knockback distance of a few feet may matter if the character is standing on a ledge, for example). So a knockback result of 5 means the character is knocked back 900 feet! (distance value 5).

The character suffers additional damage equal to the knockback result or the Toughness of any obstacle (such as a wall), whichever is greater. The obstacle suffers damage equal to the original attack (which may damage or break it). If the character breaks through the obstacle, he keeps going the remainder of the knockback distance. If the obstacle is another character, treat the result as a slam attack (see M&M Hero’s Handbook, page 198) doing damage equal to the original attack to both parties. The character ends up prone and must get back up normally.

You can choose to inflict less than your attack’s maximum knockback (just like you can choose to do less than your attack’s maximum damage).

Example: Junkpile strikes Ultramarine with an enormous rusting fist resulting in two degrees of failure on her Damage resistance check. The armored avenger may suffer some knockback. Junkpile’s strike does Damage 16. Ultramarine has Toughness 12 and no other modifiers for size or immovability. So the knockback result is 4, sending Ultramarine flying 500 feet and striking a wall before she skids to a stop. The wall’s Toughness is 8, and it suffers Damage 16 (equal to the original attack). Ultramarine breaks through it and goes the remaining distance. She has to resist Damage 8 (the wall’s Toughness), which she does easily. She’s dazed and prone as Junkpile continues his rampage. Ultramarine picks herself up, flies back to the scene, and blasts Junkpile with her blue-green laser using the Power Attack maneuver for +2 Damage and scores a critical hit! Her laser does Damage 10 damage, +2 for the Power Attack, +5 for the critical, or 17 total. Junkpile has Toughness 16. He also has Growth 4 for a total knockback modifier of –20 and a result of –3. If the blast dazes Junkpile, it will knock him prone (and drive him back a mere 3 feet (distance value –3) if that’s important). If it weren’t for the critical hit, the knockback result would be –8 and have no effect.

Sorry, I meant to PM you about this or make a note but got called away by family and forgot. Because Mary's dome was created before your attack, I wanted to know if you would rather withdraw those last two attacks. Travis would be in better shape with the RR still contained. I let the first one though, but if he wants to make the attacks, he will be attacking Mary's created dome not the soldier.

Done. I haven't done the roll for secondary effects yet. Those will be done when I resolve this round's actions. Blood from Stone folks - are you comfortable with the amount of combat you've had to date? Ready to move on?

Sorry for the lack of feedback in the experience rewards. Honestly, I was working on them, but I realized that they were taking way too long. I'll try to use them in the future, but for now, just enjoy your xp.

Additional notes: those who were in Sun can post in Staging freely. Those who were in Stone can also post your arrival there. Those in Staging are not in combat anymore and can post freely. Interact! Get to know your fellow mutants!

Jungle people, we'll get you sorted soon enough.

Ummm...Dawn? Did David step around Lamia? She's been totally ignored in the ST post, so I'm not really sure what to do with her now since she was directly interacting with the NPCs talking/acting in the ST update.

Archived