Mutants & Masterminds: The Magisterium - [Magisterium] Jungle Wars

Dawn OOC

Transcript from Interview with Grav

RL: What kind of missions did you like the most? And why?

G: The ones I don't have to kill anyone on. They're more boring I'm told, but ending a life isn't something taken lightly. I do it for my country, but sometimes, I question if there was not some other way. Any mission that lets me fly freely, those I admit I enjoy more than others. Such freedom is a treasure.

RL: Do you feel that way about humans and mutants? Do you dislike killing them both equally?

G: [pause] No.

RL: Which do you like to kill more?

G: Humans. Definitely, them.

Transcript from Interview with Hard Light/Dog

HL: I like my job.

RL: Do you like it because you have to like it?

HL: I like my job.

RL: Do you like it so that no one will punish you for not liking it? Do you want to hunt mutants?

HL: Mutants are bad and they need to be punished. I like going outside and the bad mutants are outside.

RL: But is that what you believe?

HL: Everyone knows mutants are bad. Bad mutants should be punished so they won't be bad any more. Finding bad mutants means I am good and I don't get punished.

RL: [pause] I see. If you could do anything you wanted, what would you do?

HL: I like to watch cartoons. They are fun. I like to be outside too. It's bright and shiny outside.

Transcript from Interview with Fenris

RL: What changes could be made to improve you further?

F: It is not my place to comment on the processes put in place by my superiors. I am a mutant, not a citizen.

RL: I'm aware, but I'm interested in your situation, not in getting you into trouble. I want to know if you have ideas.

F: [pause] Space. Space to roam, air to breathe that does not stink of chemicals, desperation and fear. I hear everything in this facility, Doctor. I smell everything, every drop of sweat, every flicker of anger. It makes me weary, the concentration needed to focus through all that... 'noise', you might say. And on assignment, it is the same. Better most of the time, but crowded, noisy, filled with people's scents and sounds. I have never been asked about it. It is tiring.

RL: Thank you for that. I will suggest some isolation for you. Now, you mentioned missions. I've reviewed your file - quite a resume. [tapping noise, pause] What do you enjoy about your missions?

F: The relative freedom. I am not like other mutants here. I work alone, without handlers. I travel to places... Even places in America. I stay in hotels, eat better food as part of my legend. I also like the hunt. Sometimes I hunt people to find them alive. Other times I hunt people to make them dead. The hunt... fulfills me.

RL: Go on. I'm interested in what you have to say.

F: [pause] I feel right when I hunt. Alive, not like here. Here, I am waiting, always waiting to feel alive. Even hunting exercises are... colourless. I am nothing here, an animal in a cage. Out there, when I hunt, I am free for a time.

RL: Thank you for sharing, Fenris. What would you change about your missions? Have you enjoyed your targets?

F: Some are more challenging than others. Some are... not so good. When I hunt professionals, criminals, true enemies - that is satisfying. Hunting scared mutants: not so much. I am glad that I do not have to kill these very often - they are worth more to the Rodina alive. [pause] I do not enjoy killing mutants.

RL: Do you like killing humans?

F: [long pause] Yes. Very much.

May 5, 2012, 3:47 am CCT

Foduxiang, East China Sea

Foduxiang appeared to be just another island in the East China Sea, but it was an open secret that the Chinese government had a private resort there. The once-volcanic island was now dormant and completely dead, but the two small peaks that had once created the tropical island were still there. The rich soils supported a wide variety of life, including a few species transported to the island for big-game hunting. Tigers now hunted lands that had never been theirs, and Cape Buffalo wallowed in the wetlands and glowered at trespassers. At two miles wide by two miles tall, there was actually enough room to stretch out a bit.

The only official way onto the island was to via a dock on the Western edge of the island. A single building stood there, a mixture of security checkpoint and a garage for the jeeps and the boats. From there, a single path wove deeper into the island, paved only because the wet season turned much of the island into a mudpit. There were a total of four buildings clustered inside a small walled enclosure. The biggest was the guest facilities, where most of the rooms were, along with a rec room and a kitchen. A barracks for the soldiers was the next largest building, followed by the staff residence. Finally, a small building served as a storage facility. There was also a driving range, a tennis court and a swimming pool.

If the grounds inside the walls had been utterly dominated, then the ground outside were still wild. It was here that Fenris worked. His orders were to watch for interlopers and stop them. If he couldn’t stop them, then he was to alert the compound and made sure the Russian staff got out. Mr. Misha Ivanov and his two assistants were the primary concern of this mission; Ivanov was a friend of President Putin’s and had his blessing to negotiate this deal with China regarding oil. As such, he was given limited freedom to do his business as he saw fit, in a green paradise.

It wasn’t so bad, as missions went.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The plane was running below the radar but over the waves – in theory. The turbulence from flying this low was bouncing them up and down. Grav rode silently, ignoring the mutant shivering next to her. They’d called him Dog, and he’d seemed terrified of the Canadian major who was giving him orders. She shifted a little, getting more comfortable against her safety restraints. It was a little silly; if the plane went down, she wasn’t going down with it.

“Remember your mission,” Grav’s handler said to her quietly. “You just need to take out Ivanov, disrupt the talks and get the hell out. There is a Russian mutie there, but we’re not sure which. You have your maps and everything you need.”

The red light flashed and a buzz rang out; Dog flinched but Grav merely unbuckled. At the back of the plane, the cargo doors opened, granting the mutants freedom to the skies. “Good luck,” Grav’s handler told her with a smile.

“Don’t fuck it up,” the major growled to Dog.

Then it was time to jump out of the plane and fly to the island.

The gorgeous young man with the glowing golden tattoos, referred to as “Dog,” shuffled nervously towards the open end of the craft. He shot a quick look over his shoulder at the Major before closing his eyes. An instant later, the tattoos flashed brightly and a solid, translucent golden armor that looked like a surprisingly good replication of the RR team’s Exo-Suit formed around him.

As the armor finished it’s near instantaneous creation cycle, Dog’s posture seemed to improve slightly, his confidence seeming to improve as he exorcised his powers. Taking 2 deep breaths, Dog stepped out of the plane to land firmly on a disk of the same golden solid energy. As the plane veered away, Dog got his bearings before rocketing away at top speed, riding on the energy disk not unlike one would ride a surfboard.

Annalise allowed herself to savor the sensation of falling, She reached out, affecting the force of gravity around her, her defensive matrix flaring to life, even as she off and matched pace to her compatriot. She didn't speak, she was letting him take the lead here. She was faster, and would pick up any stragglers. It also hepled to not reveal everything at once, better to hold a few aces.

There was a tiger a few hundred yards away, but he was sleepy and satiated, having just eaten this last hour. Fenris steered a small distance around the beast, not really wanting to put the President's friends pets in danger. If he killed one of the tigers he would be punished severely, after all. He ran at a steady 30 miles per hour up the slope, occasionally leaping when the ground got impassable on foot. Clad in olive drab t-shirt and combat trousers, with light jungle boots on his feet and a webbing belt around his waist carrying light gear, the Russian mutant was making good time to the top of the southernmost peak. A final bound put him near the top, on a rocky outcrop he'd scouted on his first ascent, where he crouched and scanned the horizon for boats, choppers or aircraft.

This was better than the facility, and relatively easy duty. He wondered if Dr LaCroix had arranged this somehow, and if so, why? Compassion was not something he was used to receiving from humans. The island was small enough that he could run across it in two minutes, and the peaks of the dormant volcanoes were excellent vantage points. From them, he could hear, see and, wind allowing, smell everything happening below him. For Fenris, he might as well have been a man standing in his own backyard for how easy it was to patrol. Pulling out a set of high-powered binoculars in case his already-keen vision picked anything up that warranted closer inspection, the blond man squinted slightly against the tropical sun and kept watch. He would remain here for ten minutes, perhaps, then move back down and do a circuit of the island's shores to examine the scent trails before swinging past the compound to ensure all was well. In the valley between the peaks, he could see the glint of glass and stone that betrayed the villa's location, two people playing tennis on the court and a few security staff roaming the grounds.

They didn't feel easy with him around, and he didn't blame them. More to the point, he didn't care. They weren't supposed to like him, they were supposed to do their jobs so he could do his.

Grav and Dog dropped below the plane, the spray from the waves below misting into the air to coat them. The smell of the water washed over them, and for a moment, both mutants felt free. There were the chips and the collars to ensure that feeling was only superficial, but it was a pleasant enough lie. Over their heads, the plane banked slowly to the right, breaking off to leave China’s territorial waters. Then the two were truly alone in the night sky.

The island came up fast; the two volcanoes stuck up from the land mass, dark hulks again the ocean and sky. The island was likewise a dark mass on the water against the moon-kissed waters. The lights of the docks and the main complex were clear to both of them at this height. They were arriving from the south, the west-blowing wind pulling them to the right.

Feel free to approach the island and land.

As if Fenris’s thoughts had summoned one, he caught up to one of the humans. This one was named Julija, he thought, one of Ivanov’s assistants. She strolled down the beach, wrapped in a blanket over her clothing. Her brunette hair whipped in the wind as she walked, innocently unaware of the dangers in the night. The tigers wouldn’t come down to the shoreline, but there were other dangers in the darkness. Fenris could count himself in that category.

Fenris: I need an Awareness + Perception, Audio/Visual.

Surtr *rolls* 1d20: 5+10: 15

[surtr] 8:23 pm: Can I get a witness?

[Lobby]: Kamiko has entered at 8:24 pm

[Kamiko] 8:24 pm: Amen!

[32767] 8:24 pm: heya

[jameson] 8:24 pm: holla

got a 15, Dawn. That's goes down by 1 every 1000ft for hearing, and every 100ft for sight

Dog loved to fly, more than anything else. If he could, he would spend most of his day in the air. Normally, it would take all his control not to show his joy. The Major had drilled into him that only Bad Mutants liked to use their powers and Bad Mutants deserved to be punished. He didn’t know how, but the Major always knew when Dog was bad, so he worked very hard to not be bad, with varying degrees of success.

Today, that was not the young man’s concern. Until today, all of Dog’s missions had been about punishing Bad Mutants, but today the Major had him punishing a Bad Human. Up until now, it had never occurred to Dog that there were and Bad Humans, or that Humans could even be Bad. That thought left him unsettled.

Dog flicked a glance at the other Mutant keeping pace with him. She was dressed all in tight black cloth, unlike his shapeless grey jumpsuit, and her white hair whipped wildly in the wind caused by their rapid descent. She was pretty and he liked her eyes. They were gold like his tattoos.

Dog didn’t have much time to ponder his silent partner as they both rapidly approached their designated landing spot. He knew her name was Grav, and obviously she could fly, but that is all he knew. As the beach loomed large before the pair, Dog rapidly decelerated until he was hovering an inch or two above the sand. The golden disk vanished, dropping Dog onto the sand as he scanned the beach and ocean; another first for the sheltered young mutant. As Grav alighted on the beach, he turned and looked at her expectantly. She had all the papers the officers had given them; she was in charge. He quietly awaited his instructions.

For Grav, she landed on the beach with little fanfare, her array switching over to combat mode as opposed to transport. She scanned the area, noting that her compatriots powers rendered her own attempts at stealth largely moot. "Do you have any capabilities that do not negate the element of surprise? It's not an issue if not, but if you do I suggest you employ them." She seemed a duty-bound woman, a straight shooter, almost like a drone.

"umm, no." he said quietly. "Everything I do glows." He shifted his weight from leg to leg and pushed some sand around with his left foot. He seemed shy and uncomfortable talking.

"What do we do now?"

"We move onto the base, find our target and neutralize him with minimal exposure, then extract as we are able." Her tone was flat and robotic. "We need to be somewhat cautious, he will not be unguarded."

Fenris was watching the woman walk, though not to the exclusion of anything else. She was human but well-shaped, with a body that requested a certain amount of interest but in no way demanded it. So Fenris did see the streak of light that arced through the night air. His night eyes could also make out the slim form next to the streak. A moment of orientation, and he knew that they had descended at a place to largely unseen by the compound. Other mutants were here, on the island.

Not half a mile away, another set of eyes watched the two novas alight and make their plans. Eyes that flashed like a cat’s narrowed in satisfaction at the sight; then they were gone as plans were set into motion.

His idle stalking of the human woman, a strange mix of male interest and predatory instinct, was abandoned in a heartbeat as gleaming blue-green eyes turned towards the streak of light and it's companion. With scarcely a rustle Fenris was on the hunt, moving at a ground-eating lope that ate up the intervening distance. He didn't need paths, ghosting past thick vegetation with virtually no trace of his passing, and his ears and nostrils pinpointed the location of the two mutants well before he was within any sort of line of sight. This sort of work, the silent stalk utilising his senses to perceive without being himself perceived, was an old game to the Russian mutant who had hunted facisti snipers, officers and scouts in Stalingrad and the Long March to Berlin, with a kill record higher even than that of the legendary hero of the Soviet Union, Vassily Zaitsev... But of course no mutant could be acknowledged as a hero.

So... Two mutants, male and female. The male smelled and sounded subservient, the woman like she kept herself under tight control. The hunter marked that as he waited in the shadow of a tree trunk, trying to decide who would die first. His hand hovered over the silent alert button, but he held off. Calling an alert right now would spook his prey, force them to alter their plans or even abandon them. Trained to be a spook as much as a killer, it was second nature to Fenris to wait, listen, and gather information.

Right now, he was fairly confident that he was in control of the situation.

Stealth roll

Surtr *rolls* 1d20: 8+11: 19

Awareness + Perception

Surtr *rolls* 1d20: 12+10: 22

Fenris is hanging about 250-300 feet away from Grav and Dog, close enough that he can hear them breath and smell what they had for dinner, but out of direct LOS and hidden in the dark jungle.

Grav took point, making her way towards the compound and the target. Using what steath she could she silently cursed her lack of better night vision, knowing it would have made this much easier. She didn't note many sentries, or even patrols and this began to worry her.

Fenris continued his quiet stalk as Grav and Dog made their way inland. Grav knew that at night, it was likely that no one would be out and about. They crept ever deeper inland, watching and listening closely. The island was beautiful and oddly peaceful; had Grav not had a mission to do, she might have enjoyed the cautious walk.

Things were going well – too well for Grav – when they hit their first snag. They were following a stream when Grav heard a gasp, followed by the sound of someone moving quickly and none-too-silently. Their heads snapped toward a large rock outcropping – large enough to easily conceal someone from sight. There was a soft electronic noise…

From Fenris’s viewpoint, he could clearly see what was happen. Julija had moved away from the beach and had found a rock to lay on; from her height, she’d seen the glowing tattoos and a flash of white hair. He could hear her pulling out her cell phone and trying to call for help. Noble but stupid, he thought. She should have hidden and let them pass first.

General:

If anyone wants to act before her, they have two rounds. Please post first round intentions and initiatives; I’ll order and resolve everything in my next post. Those who don’t post will be caught flatfooted and too surprised to act.

Initiatives:

Julija’s initiative – 3

Grav swore internally. A distraction was all they needed She hoped Dog would be up to this task. "Handle it." She continued moving, more alert now, knowing every second would count. She knew things would get dicey fast now, and she was annoyed..

Init

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 3+4: 7

Grav's intent is to get into the compound, locate the target and neutralize him before the alarm sounds.

Dog was calmly following Grav while keeping his eyes and ears open. When the noises behind the rock were heard, Dog was already in action, creating his flight platform, when Grav directed him to deal with the potential problem.

Init

[Jordan] 1:58 pm: Rolling Initiative for Jungle Wars

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 16+8: 24

Dog's intent is to fly over the rock a grab whoever is there with his Move Object effect.

Fenris saw it: the fine edge where there was an opening to strike. The woman told the glowing mutant to 'handle' Julija, pausing just long enough to issue the order before moving on towards the compound, radiating taut impatience in her scent and posture. The enemy had split their strength in an attempt to deal with two problems at once.

Stupid.

He picked his target and drifted into alignment with them, his tread noiseless against the sounds of the forest. They were maybe 60 feet from him, unaware of what lurked in the darkness and intent on their own objective. All that remained was for his enemies to move out of sight of each other. In the jungle at night, that could be a matter of moments.

Uncaring of the human woman's fate, viewing it as a means to his end, Fenris prepared to attack.

Moving up and readying to attack Fenris's chosen target. Dawn has the information on who. :angel1:

[surtr] 6:10 pm: Initiative for Jungle Wars:

Surtr *rolls* 1d20: 9+12: 21

[surtr] 6:11 pm: Stealth Roll:

Surtr *rolls* 1d20: 14+11: 25

[jameson] 6:12 pm: witnessed

[jameson] 6:12 pm: *ahem* I mean .... AMEN BRUTHA!

The woman was braced between two rocks with her feet holding her in place. Dog rose over the rock as the woman’s shaking fingers finished typing out the number. His power, a literal object of hardened light, snaked out and snatched for the woman. Julija shrieked like a scream queen and snapped her legs together, sliding between the smaller rocks and to the beach below. Dog blinked; it wasn’t often a human evaded him.

Grav continued forward when something – a rustling or some barely registered noise that let her know that she wasn’t alone. That was the only warning she got as murder arrived from out of the darkness, slashed at her back with wicked claws and disappeared into the darkness.

Initiative

Other – 35

Dog – 24

Fenris – 21

Grav – 7

Julija – 3

Rolls for surprise round

Grav’s Perception roll: 19+9 = 28 vs DC 25 – she is aware of Fenris, but acts after he does

Move Object Grab: 3+8 = 11

Julia’s Dodge class is 12 – Dog misses

Fenris’s attack: 19+9 = 28 vs DC 18, which is a Crit (increased effect)

Grav has a Damage DC vs 29. Grav, please give me a Toughness save; if you succeed and can act, please post your actions. We’ll resolve this round after you act.

Spotting Fenris after his attack is a DC of 21.

toughness save

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 9+10: 19

failed by 10 Grav is dazed and limited to one standard action and fre actions

I am changing her array to raise her parry and dodge by 2, her flight to 3 and blast to 10 as a free action, and attempting to find Fenris.

Long6] 10:48 pm: awareness

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 10+9: 19 fail by two.

Grav swore inwardly as a blow harder than a great many in her life rattled her brain, and sent her to the ground. "Careless." She quickly and fruitlessly searched for her assailant, but couldn't find it. She stood ready, her full defensive field up now, and she prepared for battle.

Dog’s confusion was momentary and quickly turned to annoyance. While he had never hunted a Human in the field, he’d had plenty of sparring matching with the Rapid Response teams he was often deployed with. He was most often used as an opponent, to teach the soldiers how to fight Mutants and hone their team tactics. Secret, Dog was proud of the fact that he’d never been defeated by any of the soldiers one-on-one. He would never let anyone see that pride out of the fear he would be punished for gloating. He was damn sure this civilian Human was not going to get away from him!

Dog, skimmed low over the rocks on his Hard Light Bridge. Adrenaline was starting to pump through him and a small smile crept across his face. The woman was running down the beach, babbling into the phone. “Help! There are strange mutants here!” There was no way she could outrun the young Mutant and again his power lanced out, taking the shape of a big glowing hand. The hand plucked the woman off the beach in mid stride, knocking the wind out of her. Dog drew her back to him so they were face to face.

“You are being bad. Bad people get punished, so be good and that won’t happen,” He said quickly, staring into the woman's eyes.

[Jordan] 4:01 pm: Rolling for Dog's Move Object...

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 16+8: 24

[Jordan] 4:02 pm: can I get a witness?

[jameson] 4:02 pm: holla

The woman's warm blood stained his taloned hands, the scent of it almost intoxicatingly sweet in his nostrils as Fenris moved in a silent lope, eating up the ground at terrifying speed as he headed away from the ambush site at first, then started to loop around. He wanted to draw more blood - he would draw more blood - but he also had a job to do. He dropped one clawed hand to his belt and keyed the radio, speaking Russian in a low voice as he moved.

"This is Fenris. Two enemy mutants have infiltrated the island at sector 3. I am engaging. Secure the VIP."

He turned the radio off and angled back towards the bleeding woman, his senses keener than a shark's guiding him unerringly. His sense of smell was so good, in fact, that he could - and had - used it to aim firearms at targets. But guns lacked the visceral thrill of using his natural gifts...

He saw/smelled/heard the woman in the darkness and leapt, claws outstretched as he pounced with deadly speed... and in equally deadly silence.

[Ravi] 12:02 am: Sneaky-bastard roll:

Ravi *rolls* 1d20: 1+11: 12

[Ravi] 12:02 am: Oooh

[Jordan] 12:02 am: ...

[Ravi] 12:02 am: Taking a HP mulligan on that one

[Carver] 12:03 am: Ouch.

[Jordan] 12:03 am: So sneaky Grav didn't notice it wiffing behind her?

[Ravi] 12:04 am: Sneak-bastard, take two:

Ravi *rolls* 1d20: 12+11: 23

Stealth check = 23

Attack Roll: Performing a move-by action again: Strike and disappear.

[Ravi] 12:06 am: Stabbity-roll:

Ravi *rolls* 1d20: 13+9: 22

Attack Check = 22

Damage DC = 25

The woman was babbling at Dog in some foreign language; when he spoke to her in English, she just said something else in that strange language. There was a language barrier, and Dog wasn’t sure how to communicate her need to be good if she didn’t understand him. How could he punish her if he wasn’t sure she didn’t know she was being bad.

Then she wiggled out of his light hand, pulled a gun and shot at him! The bullet went wide, but she’d tried to hurt him.

[Round Two]

“Shit,” the woman said as she crested a hill and gazed down at the solitary Grav crouched in the clearing, already injured and bleeding. She didn’t even see Dog. “Fuckin’ Fenris.” As if her words had summoned him, he was back, running by Grav in a slash that left her bleeding again. He was gone into the bush so fast that neither women could follow him. “Fine,” she muttered; her face shifted slightly, as if her skull had reshaped itself. For a second she hesitated, inhaling a night air wrought with scents; then she leapt.

Fenris was crouching, preparing his third attack when he heard something crash through the trees and land behind him. The mutant spun as a tall woman with purple hair and eyes wrapped her arms around him, tangling him into a tight hold. It was the most intimate position Fenris had found himself in; even when he was given women to lay with, there was only the release of the act, not this sudden, jarring closeness. He could smell her; the scent of her shampoo and soap and another male on her. Her purple eyes were wide as she said, “Hold up, I wanna talk!”

Round One Resolution rolls

Julija [Grappled by Dog] Dodge vs DC 20 14+5 = 19, she’s restrained

Julija [Grappled by Dog] Escape vs DC 20 2+5 = 7

Dropping a Villain Point 10+5[+10] = 25, escape!

Julija [attacking Dog] Pistol vs DC 20 12+5 = 17, miss

Round Two rolls

Grav [contested with Fenris] Perception check vs DC 23 4+10 = 14, fail

Ronnie [contested with Fenris] Perception check vs DC 23 4+14 = 18, fail

Nope, Ronnie drops a Villain Point: 12+14 = 26, success

Ronnie [attacking Fenris] Charge + Grab check vs DC 17 2+11 = 13

Grr… Villian Point 20+11 = 31, crit

Fenris [attacked by Ronnie] Dodge check vs DC 23 5+4 = 9, Fenris is Bound

Initiative

Dog – 24

Fenris – 21

Ronnie – 35

Grav – 7

Julija – 3

PC Required Rolls/Notes

Dog gets a HP because I used a VP on him.

Fenris gets 2 HP because I used 2 VP on him.

Grav needs to make a DC 25 Toughness save

Fenris needs to make a DC 18 Escape save (higher of Athletics or Sleight of Hand)

Dog was first shocked, then angry. How dare she shoot at him! He was just trying to help her, but she refused to be good. Well, if she was determined to be bad, then he would treat her like any other bad Mutant. Unconsciously, Dog’s Carapace shifted. The gauntlets and chest piece taking on the familiar form of a popular cartoon armored hero.

Dog had never punished a human before, but then he’d never been sent into this kind of situation before either. Normally Dog would be hesitant and uncomfortable raising his hand in violence towards a Human, but this woman had tried to hurt him. As she raised her gun a fired, Dog flashed on those moments in his past where he’d been hurt by Humans in the past even when he’d been good. A flood of pent up emotion rushed through the young man; pain, frustration and anger. With a howl of rage, Dog thrust his palm towards the woman and released a golden beam of force. The force beam lanced out, striking the woman square in the chest with bone-breaking force.

Dog switches his Array to Force Blast as a Free Action.

Dog fires his force beam at the woman.

[Jordan] 10:39 pm: Rolling to hit with Force Beam.

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 17+8: 25

[Jordan] 10:39 pm: WooT!

[Jordan] 10:39 pm: Can I get a witness?

[Kamiko] 10:40 pm: Jordan: Witnessed.

That is a hit: DC 27 Toughness save

Dog is not taking a move action as the gunshot triggers some mild traumatic flashbacks.

Grav's defensive barrier held this time, preventing further damage, and she focused. She couldn't see her attacker, so she was left with two options, leaving Dog Alone and going in to handle the situation messily, or trying her own way of slowiing it down.

toughness save

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 18+10: 28-1 =27 pass

Grav is using her area affliction power at 7 ranks and is faving it affect everyone within the area save herself and Dog. (Vulnerable Immobilized Paralyzed)

The cool, calculating professional Fenris had been trained to be re-assessed the situation. Three mutants. The purple-haired one is a new variable - with the others or not? Is this a test of some kind? I will not be able to fight all three. On the other hand, the savage innate predatory beast that Fenris, under the years of training and 'taming', still WAS had a much simpler thought process... if you could call it thinking. Razor-sharp instinctual process was probably a better description.

Female-close-trapped-CAGED-ESCAPE-KILL!

He struggled for a moment, and the purple-haired woman grinned a little. "Hey, cut that out. I'm enjoying it far too much." She had him securely, that much was obvious, but the beast didn't deal in obvious, not when it's blood was up. Fenris's head snapped forward, white teeth bared in a feral snarl as he tried to literally sink them into the strange mutant's cheek. She was good, barely flinching from the sudden and savage attack. Many might have recoiled entirely, letting go their hold, but the purple-hued woman simply moved her head back.

Just as the beast had planned.

With her head craned back the center of gravity shifted in the clinch, and Fenris forced himself down and twisted out of the hold, rolling away from his attacker before coming to his feet in a crouch facing her, claws held low and wide. Blue-green eyes shifted to green-blue as he tilted his head in an attitude of aggressive wariness. His human-level reason was still at work overlaying the savagery of his instincts - if the woman truly wanted to talk, now was the time.

[Ravi] 10:17 am: Making an Athletics roll for Fenny

Ravi *rolls* 1d20: 3+8: 11

[Ravi] 10:18 am: Spending a Hero Point

Ravi *rolls* 1d20: 13+8: 21

[Ravi] 10:18 am: That'll do it

The beam of hard light slammed into the woman, but she kept her gun. The barrel leveled at Dog and pulled the trigger again.

Resolution Rolls for Round Two

Julija [attacked by Dog] Toughness Save vs DC 27 19+2 = 21, Dazed, -1 Toughness

[ROUND THREE]

Moments ago...

“We have a problem.” Cheung looked up to see Lee in the door.

“Problem?” Cheung had no rank in the Chinese government but he did have power. It was enough power that he was satisfied with his life. Lee was being groomed to take over after him. He wondered if Lee would be happy with running China’s mutant program.

Lee folded his arms. “Someone is trying to disrupt the talks on Foduxiang. A distress call from one of the Russians was intercepted by the Telephone.”

Cheung frowned. “Send in four, then. That should be enough. Jet should be there in seconds. Have him take Jade Fire. Prime and Devil can follow.”

“I’m here to get you out – all of you.” The dappled moonlight reflected off her purple hair, turning it a silver-blue. “Grav, Dog, too. The other ones you were fighting. Raven – Dr. LaCroix – sent me to get you all out. You following, Anatole?”

Grav was left waiting in the clearing; the expected attack didn't come.

Rolls for Round Three

Julija [attacking Dog] Pistol vs DC 20 19+5 = 24

Damage DC 18

Initiative

Dog – 24

Fenris – 21

Ronnie – 20

Grav – 7

Julija – 3

NPC Status

Ronnie – Fine

Julija – Dazed, -1 Toughness

PC Required Rolls

Dog needs to make a Toughness check at Damage DC 18.

Grav sighed. The hard way it would be then. She took off in flight heading for the base, at over a dozen times the speed of sound.

grav is switching the array and taking off at 16k mph towards the base...

Dog’s resolve hardened as the bullet ricocheted off Dog’s HL Carapace. This wasn’t some random woman being bad because she didn’t know any better. This was a bad person.

Dog snarled at the woman as he put all his force behind another brutal blast of Hard Light energy.

Toughness save vs. DC 18

[Jordan] 1:41 pm: Rolling Toughness Save

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 13+10: 23

[Jordan] 1:41 pm: Woot!

Dog power attacks the woman with his Foce Blast +2 Damage effect -2 to hit

[Jordan] 1:51 pm: Rolling to hit

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 14+6: 20

[Jordan] 1:52 pm: I believe that is a hit.

If that hits, the save DC is 29

Gunfire, flares of light from between the trees. Somewhere close by, the white-haired woman had taken off with extreme speed and was headed for the base. She'd be there in seconds at that speed - the protection detail wouldn't have had time to get the VIP to safety.

Standing in the knot of silence surrounded by all this in the dimly lit jungle clearing, Fenris didn't care.

The woman had called him by name. His old name, his human name. She was from Dr LaCroix... or claimed to be. She was here to get them all out: him and the other two, Grav and Dog. As he scanned her body's chemistry reflexively, he detected many things: fear, excitement, tension... but no deceit. She didn't mean him ill.

She was telling the truth.

"I'm following." the wolf on two legs told the purple haired woman as he straightened up out of his feral crouch, a slight fleshy noise heralded the shift of his brutal taloned fingers back to normal hands. Just like that, Fenris had made the switch from loyal Russian mutant to escapee. If this was a false-flag, then at least he would die free... But he was fairly sure that this was real. It felt real, in his gut and bone. "If we're to take the other two with us, we had better collect them, yes?"

Resolution Rolls for Round Three

Jujila [attacking Dog] Pistol vs DC 20 14+5 = 19, miss by 1

Dog’s last blast had almost put her down. Jujila’s hand was shaking and her vision was blurred, but the woman took aim again. “Za Rodinu.” Her whisper of fidelity to her country was almost a prayer as she took another shot at the mutant monster facing her. This time the shot whizzed over Dog’s shoulder as he barely dodged her bullet.

[ROUND FOUR]

Dog’s next attack slammed into the woman again, but she remained on her feet, somehow. Why wouldn’t she be a good human and take her punishment!?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Grav’s progress made her a beacon of light. As she stopped to get her bearings and find the target, she heard a sonic boom and something slammed into her from behind. The “bullets” peppered her back before she turned and saw a Chinese man hovering about ten feet off the ground. He’d just dropped the woman he’d been carrying, whose hands were encased in green flames. The sky flared into green fire as a grid of light burned in the night sky, just long enough to ruin her night vision and illuminate everything.

It was just not Grav’s night.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Fenris temporarily out of combat this round only; retain your initiative]

“Yeah, we will need to convince-” Ronnie’s statement was cut off by a sonic boom overhead. Suddenly, the sky was illuminated by a burning grid of green fire that covered the island and turned darkness into day. The flare of light was just enough to run night visions – and illuminate everyone’s positions, briefly. When darkness fell, Ronnie cursed. “I don’t know who that is, but I sense they are here to ruin our fun. We better get to Dog and then get Grav and GTFO.”

Rolls for Round Four

Jujila [attacked by Dog] Toughness save vs DC 29 14+3-1 = 16. Fail by 13, Toughness -1, Staggered (Dazed/Hindered)

The Environmental Control effect is 2.8 by 2.8 miles, roughly.

Jet [attacking Grav] Machine Guns (multiattack) vs DC 18 13+11 = 24, hits by 2 degrees, +2

Damage DC is 21

Initiative

Dog – 24

Fenris – 21

Ronnie – 20

Jet – 19

Jade Fire – 13

Grav – 7

Julija – 3

PC Required Rolls and Notes

Grav has to make a Toughness Save DC 21

[Long6] 6:14 pm: Toughness save

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 7+10: 17-1 for toughness

fail by 5 additional -1

Grav Saw this and sighed This mission had gone bad beyond the ability to rectify, adding yet two more unknown hostile mutants, and the total loss of the element of surprise. It was bad luck, and she hated it. Failure wasn't an unknown to her, but it rankled her to admit this situation had gone beyond where she and Dog could handle things and accomplish the mission. She turned back flying to where Dog was, even faster. It was time to leave.

Dog was still blasting away at the poor Russian woman when Grav sped back to him. She could clearly see was not quite in control, focused entirely killing the woman. To her credit, despite taking numerous hits, she was holding her own and even firing back; not that it was doing any good.

Dog continued to focus all his attention on the woman and fired yet another blast of Hard Light at her.

Rolling to hit with Force Blast

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 14+8: 22

I believe that should be a hit, Toughness Save DC 27

[Please note that this post is resorting posts by initiative order, so don’t be surprised if things don’t match up.]

Jujilia [attacked by Dog] Toughness Save vs DC 27 15+3 = 18, Toughness -1, Dazed, Staggered (Dazed/Hindered)

[ROUND FOUR]

Dog’s blast hit the poor Russian agent again. Jujilia was thrown back by the burst of Hard Light from the mutant’s hands. She was still functional and without getting up, she aimed at her attacker again.

Getting no reply from Fenris, Ronnie took off at a jog, trusting the ex-compliant mutant to follow her. The pair arrived back just in time to see Jujilia finish tumbling to the ground. But the battered woman was still fighting.

Grav was realizing that the tables had turned and the mission had gotten ugly. Separated from Dog and already hurt, she was vulnerable against two novas. She turned to go – and was attacked by both of them. The man extended his hands and sent a blast of metal slugs at her. Fortunately, the woman’s attack went wide and Grav dodged it easily. Then she burst into motion and the gravitonic mutant was gone, racing back to Dog's side. There she found he had company. The purple-haired mutant held up her hands and said, "Grav, Dog, I wan-"

A shot interrupted the woman's sentence. Jujilia hands shook so she rested them on the ground and squeezed the trigger. Her heart sank as she saw that the monster was still on its feet.

"-to talk. Can someone kill her already?"

Initiative

Dog – 24

Fenris – 21

Ronnie – 20

Jet – 19

Jade Fire – 13

Grav – 7

Julija – 3

Combat

Jujilia [attacking Dog] Pistol vs DC 20 18+5 = 23

Dog [attacked by Julia] Toughness vs DC 18 16+10 = 26, Save

Jet [attacking Grav] Multiattack Machine Gun attack vs DC 18 14+11 = 25, pass by 2 degrees

Damage DC is 21

Jade Fire [attacking Grav] Fire Blast vs DC 18 5+8 = 13, miss

PC Required Rolls and Notes

Grav needs to make a Toughness save vs DC 21

Ronnie and all the PCs are in one spot. We are still in combat rounds.

[Long6] 9:12 am: toughness

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 4+10: 14-2 is 12

Grav grunted in pain as yet another attack penetrated her defenses, another bolt of pain shooting through her, Still she kept flying, She arrived back where Dog was and looked at him. "It's time to go Dog. This mission is a wash, there are two more possibly more hostile mutants back at the base, plus the one who's been stalking me tonight. We are in over our heads, and with an unknown Mutant here as well, it's time we head for the extraction point. We can't accomplish our mission, so all that's left is to not get caught."

Grav wasn't in good condition, having been hit hard twice, and she grunted in pain, not trusting herself to walk. "We need to go now."

...Can someone kill her already?"

Jujilia gasped in pain as a booted foot pressed down on her wrists, the gun dropping from her nerveless hands as she looked up into the blue-green eyes of Fenris who crouched over her, studying her face. She glared angrily, even as fear filled her at the realisation of his intent.

"Savage!" she spat in Russian. "The Rodina should never have kept you alive."

"The Rodina should not have kept me alive in a cage." he corrected dispassionately before his claws opened her throat with one lightning-fast motion. She collapsed face down in the dirt, her laboured breathing making faint bubbling noises as she began to drown in her own blood. "But that is no longer your concern." he told her as he straightened and turned to the two mutants who, five minutes ago, had been enemies.

"You are right." he told Grav. "We do need to go now, if we would live." He looked at the purple-haired woman. "You have an extraction route?"

Ravi *rolls* 1d20: 8+14: 22

[Ravi] 10:00 am: There's mah hit roll

[Carver] 10:00 am: That's a hit.

[Carver] 10:01 am: Damage DC?

[Ravi] 10:01 am: DC 25 then

Carver *rolls* 1d20: 1: 1

[Carver] 10:02 am: Yetch!

“Thanks, Fenris.” Ronnie nodded to Dog and Grav. “Hi. I’m Ronnie. I’m here to free you.” She’d already opened a phone and hit a button; the phone started to beep. “We’re getting one chance to do this. You two come now, or go back to captivity.”

From above, Jet appeared, hovering over them. Jade Fire was nestled in his arms. Jet didn’t shoot at them, but Jade Fire extended her hands. The green fire surrounding her hands shot out at that first target she saw: Fenris.

Initiative

Dog – 24

Fenris – 21

Ronnie – 20

Jet – 19

Jade Fire – 13

Grav – 7

Combat

Jade Fire [attacking Fenris] Fire Blast attack vs DC 14 18+8 = 26

Damage DC is 23

Fenris [attacked by Jade Fire] Toughness save vs DC 23 13+4 = 17, Toughness -1, failure by 2 degrees, Staggered

[OOC: Let’s start a new round; the phone is dialing, you have about 3 rounds before the warp fully forms. Give me your actions, please. ]

Dog was confused and overwhelmed by the sudden appearance of so many people. Grav wanted to leave, the Ronnie person wanted to talk and Fenris person killed the woman who'd been Dog's focus of aggression for the past minute or so.

With the arrival of the final two mutants and their initiation of violence, Dog's purpose became clear again. He shifted his flight platform across the ground, putting distance between himself and Grav. If they were to use an area effect power, he didn't want both he and Grav to be caught in the effect.

Dog raised his arms and focused on the flying mutant. He was the one carrying the fire mutant and if he fell they both went down. With visible effort on his part, twin beams of golden force lanced out from Dog's hands and raced towards his target.

[Jordan] 6:01 pm: Dog attack 1

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 12+8: 20

[Jordan] 6:01 pm: Dog attack 2

Jordan *rolls* 1d20: 10+8: 18

[Jordan] 6:02 pm: witnesses?

[jameson] 6:02 pm: 2?

[Kamiko] 6:02 pm: Witnessed

[Jordan] 6:02 pm: spending extra effort

[jameson] 6:02 pm: kewl

Extra Effort for the second action. Dog is now Fatigued

Fenris crouched as the blast of emerald fire engulfed him, weathering the burning storm with his eyes closed. As the torrent of flame winked out, a glance at him told Ronnie that despite the severe burns the Russian mutant had suffered he was already healing, fresh skin replacing the seared and charred patches before her eyes.

Fenris was in pain, of course. His existence was a story of pain that he constantly recovered from, and this latest installment was nothing particularly new for a mutant who, as a boy, had taken on men with flamethrowers and machine guns. He disliked being burned in the same way that normal people hated stubbing their toe - it made him grit his teeth and want to swear - but there was no fear of the flame or it's wielder.

The pain was excruciating, though, and remaining in his crouch he bided his time as he watched the Western mutant attack the fliers with his bolts of golden energy. Not a flier himself, he was damned if he'd go leaping up there to engage them and possibly get in the way. Let his unlikely allies shoot the enemy down, and he would be waiting to finish the job.

Performing a Recovery action this round.

Regeneration takes care of the -1 Toughness mod

Recovery eliminates Staggered (?)

She was preparing to leave, it was what needed to happen, but Chaos intervened. "You're just going to leave them? You coward."

"A soldier knows when to retreat."

"Yes, but these are enemies, and you've already failed. "You might as well fail spectacularly. With four of you you might manage to pull it off."

"Two of them are the reason I'm hurt like this."

"I know, remind me to thank them properly." The blackness closed in around Grav and she was too weak to fend it off, and Her gold eyes flashed momentarily. Her voice dropped to a Husky octave. "Much better, the lapdog's asleep." She turned to the two in the sky, and scowled. Her attack was totally unnoticeable, until it hit, then the hyper compressed gravitic field compressed further, nearing micro-blackhole levels to tear her foe apart.

array shift Parry +2 dodge +2 Blast 10 subtle 2 flight 2

attack 1d20+10 agains Jade Fire

Long6 *rolls* 1d20: 14+10: 24

Damage DC is 25

Grav's personality "Chaos" has taken over. next to her "Berserker" Personality, this is by far the most dangerous, as she seems to care little about sides or factions, merely acting as she chooses. She is an unstable ally, and perhaps the best way to keep her on her side on one's side is to keep her amused.

Jet rolled left then right, and Dog’s blasts flew past him, sizzling into darkness like flares. As Fenris curled in on himself, enduring the pain, Ronnie growled, “Well, fuck!” A heartbeat later, her features shifted subtly, hardening somehow. Then she ripped a tree out of the ground and threw it at the hovering man. He rolled but the tree was too large to dodge and it hit him.

He returned the favor by throwing out a hand, spitting more of those strange bullets at Ronnie. They slammed into her skin, raising painful bruises. The jet of green flame that washed over her next likewise seemed to have little effect.

When Grav switched personalities, she lashed out at Jade Fire. The attack tore through the young Chinese woman, drawing a painful scream from her. Then the woman went limp in Jet’s arms, drawing an angry string of Chinese from the man.

Initiative
Dog – 24

Fenris – 21

Ronnie – 20

Jet – 19

Jade Fire – 13

Grav – 7

Combat

Ronnie [attacking Jet] Throwing Shit vs DC 25 15+12 = 27, hit

Damage DC is 23

Jet [attacked by Ronnie] Toughness Save vs DC 23 16+5 = 21, fail by one degree [-1 Toughness]

Jet [attacking Ronnie] Machine Guns vs DC 22 14-11 = 25, hit

Damage DC is 19

Ronnie [attacked by Jet] Toughness Save vs DC 19 1+14 = 15, fail by one degree [-1 Toughness]

Jade Fire [attacking Ronnie] Fire Blast vs DC 22 6+8 = 14, Miss

Jade Fire [attacked by Grav] Toughness Save vs DC 25 4+7 = 11, failed by four degrees [-1 Toughness, Incap]

NPC Status

Jet: -1 Toughness

Jade Fire: -1 Toughness, Incap

Ronnie: -1 Toughness

PC Required Rolls/Notes
None

Archived