Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

Hi Guys, another Aussie character here if you're interested - Geogre Ray.

Here's the basic concept, he's the son of an Australian Power Broker (behind the scenes man, but with a good deal of influence).  He is genuinely friendly and really cares to see people treated well.

As part of his "education" he was assigned as an aide to a diplomatic mission to a group of Nova Refugees, but things went wrong *insert plot reason here, happy to collaborate*.

However things went wrong, he appeared, still smoking (or whatever carnage aftereffect applies) in the middle of his father's dinner party, unconscious but surprisingly healthy.

as for his theme, I don't know the name for it (it's not quite collective subconscious) but when you first meet someone you quickly form an image of who you think they are.  The image grows over time as you get to know someone.  His ability is to step right into it (both physically and mentally - the brain opens itself up for new information, and he converts part of himself into information and steps into the open door) - and out of it again, possibly somewhere else.  So the moment you meet him, it feels like you've known him forever, and it cuts past any social stereotypes.  This also gives him an inside view on the workings of their mind (and the fact that he's got a "copy" of them in his mind) forms a link that re-enforces and stabilizes him (physically and mentally).

Generally speaking he focuses more on changing perception (information) than forcing people to do anything, he's a strong believer in free will, and genuinely likes people.

Key powers are, telepathy, information manipulation, teleport (but only to people he's met), psychic shield (he's got hundreds of copies of him giving him feedback, like a sub-hive conscious)

It also manifests as a variety of mega attributes - but primarily mega charisma and stamina.

More advanced/exotic powers potentially include clone, dominate (with posession extra), quantum vampire/imprint, disorient, mental blast.

Given his standing, and a strong position in supporting the emergence of Australian Novas I was thinking of giving him fame - possibly along with some cipher to represent that much of his power is hidden/concealed, both in that it's undocumented, and that much of his "ability" is "hidden" in background levels of quantum power hidden within the thousands of people he's met since his eruption - someone using quantum attunement for example may only see a portion of his true power

Any questions/concerns?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, someone who can do a walking "Retcon" of people's memories. A psychic hacker. Master of Social Engineering possibly?

I would see him starting with the Telepathy, Info Manipulation (Mental only for a weakness), Transmit (People he's met), Psi-Shield with the usual mega socials. Later you could expand your scope.

It is in the Project Utopia book.

Transmit is a L2, Quantum Minimum 2 power. Instant duration, using Perception+Transmit for the roll.

It uses a distance scale like warp starting at 2 kilometers and is multiplied by a factor of 10 per dot.

To determine the time it takes you count up the number of successes.

1: 10 Minutes, 2: 5 Minutes, 3: One minute: 4: One Turn, 5: Instantaneous.

It's exactly what you are describing. It's basically Teleport limited to a specific medium. Ie., Stepping into a shadow in one place and stepping out of a shadow somewhere else, that sort of thing.

Interesting character. Keep in mind that I am doing a Psi character with all mental powers so we will have a lot of overlap on powers. Although they do have some significant differences, Morgan has only one mega-social and that is Manipulation. Only has 3 charisma and 3 appearance, but he has 5 in rapport so he isn't more likable or attractive than the average baseline, but he has a way of getting close to people and into their confidence with amazing ease and speed. People find themselves opening up to him and trusting him very easily, which is an interesting contrast with the fact that Telepaths scare most people and he also has 5 in intimidate and can go from best friend mode to scary as hell in the blink of an eye. He doesn't do that with those he works with or calls friends, only with suspects or people that are blocking his investigations. I'm actually thinking about taking mega-app 1 just to be able to turn on dreadful mien. :)

As a telepath would your character be a registered Teep, or keeping his ability secret?

Hmm.. fair enough. I guess the difference with transmit is he doesn't need an "entry" point (well, he IS the entry point). His normal trick is to step out from behind someone (because even if they don't feel it, stepping out in front of them tends to freak them out a lot more than the "what, where did he come from" when he steps out behind them. No-one ever really sees him appear, they just suddenly notice that he's there.

Hmm, to keep things interesting I'll go with the story that he's not registered as a telepath (he doesn't really consider it telepathy, though I know it's the same effect, he just gets in closer to them than most people and has a chat with their subconscious, he's just using the "him" inside their head to do it - he just considers that a part of himself, not a part of them if that makes sense, though it's a part of him that they freely let in, just like he freely let in a part of them in return - it's all give and take).

At the moment I'm thinking registered powers are "teleport" (whatever mechanics are used behind it), translate (possibly communicate - is there considered a difference between that and telepathy?) and being too bloody likeable for his own good.

Also, how do people feel about having charisma based telepathy? His power really is connected through his relationships to people, so I don't really see him getting super perceptive to improve his skills... Also, looking at getting the surreptitious extra for telepathy - any issues?

Other thoughts, since he's soo good at fitting in with people, I'm thinking to give him eufibre attuned (no eufibre yet, I know - but could make for interesting plot)

Finally, what do people think about a megacharisma (or megaperception?) extra that he recognises anyone he has met. Because there's a part of him in them, he knows if he's met them, and when. If someone shapeshifts into someone he knows, he'll know it's not them (and he'll recognise them if he sees them again, even if they are in a different form - not that he'll have a way to know which form is their true form). Likewise, if an alternate version of someone pops in, he'll know it's not the same person (and may even have an idea that they are alternate because the "him" inside them is slightly different - if they met the equivalent of him where they came from). Though again, he couldn't tell the difference between an alternate version, or a shapeshifter pretending to be someone - unless he's seen the shapeshifter in annother form. Would that be balanced? one quantum/scene? (I'm thinking it's simmilar power level to lie detector for example) I don't have any attribute books, is something simmilar in there?

Quantum contruct allows you to "make" quantum powers at 1 success per 5 nova points.

I want a power to allow my character to create gadets "matter creation" style, and q-construct seems to fit.

Firstly, I would like to change manipulation to intelligence, as it is a device, not a creature. Also, I was thinking of stripping the ability for it to make multiple at a time, strip it of it's ability to act on its own and require that I have seen a blueprint of the device I am mimicing (functional copy, not good enough to fool someone into thinking its the original).

Surtr suggested the weaknesses: 3pt object only, 2pt must be wielded.

What do you guys think?

First, Quantum Construct doesn't allow you to create powers. It allows you to create a living creature out of quantum energy. That creature at certain levels may have powers of it's own.

Now with Surtr's suggestion, you make it where the construct must be weilded. Now I say there should be a further change.

You cannot make a living thing with it. As such, it has no stats, and can be broken/used/disarmed like a normal device in your hands.

I would say that would be a 2 pointer I think.

I'd rather see us make a new power out of this instead of wrenching something else around to sorta make it fit. I'd toyed with this idea for a moment with Coyote before deciding I wanted her to be a pure inventor - the kind you give a gallon of milk, a toothpick and a bit of twine to, and she builds a warpgate. But I did put some thought into this, so let me lay out my thoughts.

First, this is a level 3 power with Q-min 5 (since the other creation powers are the same way). I was thinking that the dots in the power limited what powers you could buy according to this chart:

1 dot = level 1 powers

2 dots = level 1 powers with extras

3 dots = level 2 powers

4 dots = level 2 powers with extras

5 dots = level 3 powers

Pool would be Int + Quantum Invention

Next, successes allocate how many NP you get; 5 per sux sounds good to me.

You have 3 dots in the power and you get 3 sux on a roll. You have 15 NP to make a device with no higher than level 2 powers. So you want a ray gun; that's a Level 2 QB with 5 dots. The gun uses its users quantum pool and quantum rating. It lasts one scene, then fades.

Just an alternate suggestion.

That is weaker than what I had in mind, but MUCH cleaner. What would happen with q-minimum? Would it use your quantum? Would it be shareable?

Again, that is a nice, clean suggestion. Thanks.

I'd back Carver's suggestion, with the the alteration that the creation doesn't get the benefit of theme, and has standard costs in NP for everything. I also would like to see it stated that these devices cannot be made permanent even with expenditure of WP (like matter creation) This is nova tech we're talking here, it should also take a full turn to create.

I am all for this.

It also makes sense, and as everyone knows my rule is if it makes sense it works.

Plus it shouldn't be like a gadget. Because this creation is "attuned" to your quantum template, it cannot be given to anyone else to use. Making it so you can give it to others should be an extra, and it should always be sustained.

Also, how do people feel about having charisma based telepathy? His power really is connected through his relationships to people, so I don't really see him getting super perceptive to improve his skills... Also, looking at getting the surreptitious extra for telepathy - any issues?

Other thoughts, since he's soo good at fitting in with people, I'm thinking to give him eufibre attuned (no eufibre yet, I know - but could make for interesting plot)

Finally, what do people think about a megacharisma (or megaperception?) extra that he recognises anyone he has met. Because there's a part of him in them, he knows if he's met them, and when. If someone shapeshifts into someone he knows, he'll know it's not them (and he'll recognise them if he sees them again, even if they are in a different form - not that he'll have a way to know which form is their true form). Likewise, if an alternate version of someone pops in, he'll know it's not the same person (and may even have an idea that they are alternate because the "him" inside them is slightly different - if they met the equivalent of him where they came from). Though again, he couldn't tell the difference between an alternate version, or a shapeshifter pretending to be someone - unless he's seen the shapeshifter in annother form. Would that be balanced? one quantum/scene? (I'm thinking it's simmilar power level to lie detector for example) I don't have any attribute books, is something simmilar in there?

I am very leery about this PC; let me say why. I'd rather we keep his power perception-based because our relationships with people are based on perception, in part. Body language, tone and so on all inform our reactions to people, even more than how likeable they are. And you are still reading and sensing someone, even if its mentally. A good salesman isn't necessarily likable; he's the one that notices you like soccer and builds a rapport with you so you like and trust him (I do sales for a living and while Charisma is a part, I have to listen to what the client is saying about what they need).

I also personally don't like the 'instant friends' idea. With the way its described, it works perfectly and I don't see that being possible. People are the sum of their interactions with each other and I get that it's 'quantum magic'. You're talking about his telepathy being able to instantly and completely rewrite someone's memories to include him (or so I've read). While that's possible per the book, it seems to allow no time for essentially two actions: scanning/reading and rewriting. Also, the "knowing him forever" is troubling because the amount of alteration that can be done to memory is based off the chart on 225. So with only one sux, it's not known forever, it's known since yesterday, and only in a trivial way. I'd like to see that addressed.

Last, if you're asking about a "always recognize you" enhancement, then no. You're talking about an enhancement directly overriding a power (shapeshift in this case because while he wouldn't know you're a shapeshifter upon first meeting he would later and SS gets shat upon enough, IMO. :P ). If you want to make a power that does that, I'll be happy to look at it and give it consideration. :)

The gadget power: I think it should be scene duration, as Carv states. If you want Q-tech (something maintained and longer term) you should have to go through the trouble of building Q-tech with all that entails.

A power to grab a handy gadget for a scene though - that is a perfectly viable power.

I would also have problems with gadgets or q-tech replicating this power. Clones can't clone, and q-cons really shouldn't be allowed to have their own q-cons ... same here. A nova having it is fine, but this is major enough that only a nova should have it.

.... the insta friends power, again I am with Carv as regards her concerns. The only powers / enhancements in the system that work in an automatic fashion are really low level.

That is weaker than what I had in mind, but MUCH cleaner. What would happen with q-minimum? Would it use your quantum? Would it be shareable?

Again, that is a nice, clean suggestion. Thanks.

It would use your Q-pool and your Q-rating for powers that rely on Q-rating. And my draft would be shareable and I'll get into that below.

I'd back Carver's suggestion, with the the alteration that the creation doesn't get the benefit of theme, and has standard costs in NP for everything. I also would like to see it stated that these devices cannot be made permanent even with expenditure of WP (like matter creation) This is nova tech we're talking here, it should also take a full turn to create.

Yeah, no permanent creations. They last a scene, same as any other power. And yes, it doesn't get the NP break. I'm iffy on the full turn, but could see that being the case. Alternately, we could say that it's full turn unless he's in the presence of someone using a copied power, then he can make it faster since he's 'copying' it from someone there. That'd almost make Quantum Attunement a prereq of the power... thoughts?

I am all for this.

It also makes sense, and as everyone knows my rule is if it makes sense it works.

Plus it shouldn't be like a gadget. Because this creation is "attuned" to your quantum template, it cannot be given to anyone else to use. Making it so you can give it to others should be an extra, and it should always be sustained.

I utterly disagree that it shouldn't be like a gadget. That's the point of the power; to be able to build tools to supplement not only yourself but your team. I think that each gadget should be a little harder to make, with penalties akin to multiple actions. Even if you can hand it off to someone, your quantum is still tied up in it, and until its gone, you have fewer dice to use on the next one. Does that sound fair?

I know it seems harsh with the comments on the gadget power...but we banned quantum authority in part because it is an I can do anything power. This has that same danger.

Q con usually has to have a theme...and as an ST usually I limit PCs to including only powers they have...or have intenisvely studied in other novas...or that make sense for the kind of creature the qcon nova has themed for their power. As a level three power this is still looking more potent in some ways than qcon.

Not saying it isnt doable...but robbie the robot would be flailing his arms and yelling danger.

Not saying it isnt doable...but robbie the robot would be flailing his arms and yelling danger.

That is unsettling. I would prefer not to have it at all if we can't "stop his arms". In my instance of the power, I was thinking it was only things he could build. IE read and understood the blue-prints, taken it appart etc

Also, with the dice penalty, would it be flat (eg 1 per existing invention) or expenential? would it be per scene, or only while they exist?

I am very leery about this PC; let me say why. I'd rather we keep his power perception-based because our relationships with people are based on perception, in part. Body language, tone and so on all inform our reactions to people, even more than how likeable they are. And you are still reading and sensing someone, even if its mentally. A good salesman isn't necessarily likable; he's the one that notices you like soccer and builds a rapport with you so you like and trust him (I do sales for a living and while Charisma is a part, I have to listen to what the client is saying about what they need).

I also personally don't like the 'instant friends' idea. With the way its described, it works perfectly and I don't see that being possible. People are the sum of their interactions with each other and I get that it's 'quantum magic'. You're talking about his telepathy being able to instantly and completely rewrite someone's memories to include him (or so I've read). While that's possible per the book, it seems to allow no time for essentially two actions: scanning/reading and rewriting. Also, the "knowing him forever" is troubling because the amount of alteration that can be done to memory is based off the chart on 225. So with only one sux, it's not known forever, it's known since yesterday, and only in a trivial way. I'd like to see that addressed.

Last, if you're asking about a "always recognize you" enhancement, then no. You're talking about an enhancement directly overriding a power (shapeshift in this case because while he wouldn't know you're a shapeshifter upon first meeting he would later and SS gets shat upon enough, IMO. :P ). If you want to make a power that does that, I'll be happy to look at it and give it consideration. :)

About the perception vs charisma, I hear you - there are rules for allowing powers under other stats, and I do think this is a closer fit to charisma (the way it's envisioned) but I'm not too worried about that one.

With the 'instant friends' I was describing how it "feels" (yeah, good old quantum magic - just with a bit more science thrown in to describe how it works) But I think you misread me - he's not actually overwriting memories, people just get a "deeper" understanding of who he is when they first meet him. It's LIKE they knew him forever, they know they just met him, but that's just a description for the bond they feel. The mechanics for that part are purely mega-stats (mostly charisma, some appearance, some wits and some manipulation because of the "inside perpective" - though to flesh out any conscious details he'd have to use an active telepathy power with the same standard restrictions).

And third, the "always recognise you" enhancement doesn't directly over-ride a power, it does remove one benefit from the shapeshift power (pretending to be someone/thing else), though my example of lie detector removes one benefit from many of the abilities people have to convince them of something (if you KNOW they are lying, no amount of persuading will work will it?). Likewise many other mega attribute enhancements negate an aspect of powers, such as hardbody negating the "aggravated" aspect of attacks. Lie detector DOES allow a contested roll for someone with high skill I believe (like megamanipulators - though I could be getting that mixed up with annother extra), and I would be willing to cater for a contested roll in appropriate circumstances (though contesting with shapeshift doesn't really seem to match the description, though I could imagine a shapeshifter pretending to be an animal could try and pass un-detected - I wouldn't imagine he'd be looking to recognise an animal as someone he knew - if he decided to "try and check" that's be pretty simmilar to a basic version of the telepathy mind scan to see if someone is there - so he already has that power)

There's also the extra "human nature" (which I am planning to take) that lets you know someone's nature - that'll recognise shapeshifters straight out(unless they happen to have the same nature as the target) so existing extras already have a simmilar side effect. This one is just geared towards "I know you" rather than "I know your basic nature".

With the 'instant friends' I was describing how it "feels" (yeah, good old quantum magic - just with a bit more science thrown in to describe how it works) But I think you misread me - he's not actually overwriting memories, people just get a "deeper" understanding of who he is when they first meet him. It's LIKE they knew him forever, they know they just met him, but that's just a description for the bond they feel. The mechanics for that part are purely mega-stats (mostly charisma, some appearance, some wits and some manipulation because of the "inside perpective" - though to flesh out any conscious details he'd have to use an active telepathy power with the same standard restrictions).

So this is a variant on First Impressions? If so, it seems on par, if all he does is make you incredibly comfortable with him immediately.

And third, the "always recognise you" enhancement doesn't directly over-ride a power, it does remove one benefit from the shapeshift power (pretending to be someone/thing else), though my example of lie detector removes one benefit from many of the abilities people have to convince them of something (if you KNOW they are lying, no amount of persuading will work will it?). Likewise many other mega attribute enhancements negate an aspect of powers, such as hardbody negating the "aggravated" aspect of attacks. Lie detector DOES allow a contested roll for someone with high skill I believe (like megamanipulators - though I could be getting that mixed up with annother extra), and I would be willing to cater for a contested roll in appropriate circumstances (though contesting with shapeshift doesn't really seem to match the description, though I could imagine a shapeshifter pretending to be an animal could try and pass un-detected)

Let's be honest - the ability to look like something/one else is a MAJOR part of shapeshift. It's one of the primary benefits of the power and is way more powerful than I think you give it credit for. For example, your PC walks into a room and his enhancement lets him know that the couch is the room is someone he met last week. What if (to pick a more personal example) he sees Coyote out flying around in raven form and even though he doesn't know she's shapeshifter, he knows that he's met that bird before. SS allows you to be things as well as people/animals. You said that animals 'could' pass undetected but if you want this to be merely an enhancement, we need to put some restrictions on how effective it is regarding non-human shapes. It also needs to be a mega-perception enhancement in this case.

There's also the extra "human nature" (which I am planning to take) that lets you know someone's nature - that'll recognise shapeshifters straight out(unless they happen to have the same nature as the target) so existing extras already have a simmilar side effect. This one is just geared towards "I know you" rather than "I know your basic nature".

What is the extra Human Nature, where is it, and what power is it connected to? I have no idea what it is, so I can't pass judgement on it.

Hmm... I've got a couple concerns. First being that what you are describing now is getting awfully close to my character. Massive mega perception, telepathy, teleport, 5 dots of rapport so that he is able to get close to people very quickly. The means that your character is using is definitely unique and interesting, but we're starting to have a lot of overlap in terms of powersets.

Unlike your character, Morgan is not all that likable, he's just very good at getting close to people and having them trust him, he just does it the old fashioned way, with perception, Rapport, and manipulation. :)

The second issue is the instant recognize power ability. I don't like the idea that there are pieces of your character permanently attached and hanging around in people's mind. That's more than a little creepy. ;) But, even so that would be doable, but I would say it would only work on someone he literally has met and touched their minds. Even so, recognizing someone disguised or altered in some way ought to require a resisted roll. Perception (or whatever) vs their disguise/shapeshift/etc.

To be honest I'm definitely concerned about the amount of overlap between our powersets. If you are really interested in playing this character, perhaps I could reconsider mine and go with a different concept.

Though for the "I know you" option, it could fit in with human nature (or the telepathy mind scan) that the player actually needs to look, but that would mean the player would need a reason to look (so no point in looking for personality in every raven I meet - but if the raven starts talking, or shooting quantum bolts, then there'd be a reason to look). I was thinking of it as a simpler, localised background version of mind scan, though while with mind scan you need to scan for a specific person, this only works if you're looking (so in a localised area, and only if you know they are there to look at).

I thought I'd mention (sorry to interrupt, I'll let you finish), that I am thinking of a body modification I may take for Umiwashi. It's one I just came up with and I thought it might be useful for a Nova who may be doing nautical aviation from time to time.

Here is what I am considering.

Swim Bladders (1np/3xp)

The Nova has an internal set of air bladders similar to a fish that can regulate buoyancy when in water or to fully keep the Nova afloat. Their position allows the nova the ability to normally swim, and when floating on the surface to keep an attitude where the head has freeboard from the water. They fill with waste air from the Nova (Usually Carbon Dioxide) and are vented through the mouth or nose in a standard exhalation. While they may function like a fish's swim bladder, it could be some sort of external air sac on the body of the Nova.

Addendum: I probably won't get this for Kei after all, but I thought I'd offer it for everyone. to look at and possibly use.

Hmm... I've got a couple concerns. First being that what you are describing now is getting awfully close to my character. Massive mega perception, telepathy, teleport, 5 dots of rapport so that he is able to get close to people very quickly. The means that your character is using is definitely unique and interesting, but we're starting to have a lot of overlap in terms of powersets.

Unlike your character, Morgan is not all that likable, he's just very good at getting close to people and having them trust him, he just does it the old fashioned way, with perception, Rapport, and manipulation. :)

The second issue is the instant recognize power ability. I don't like the idea that there are pieces of your character permanently attached and hanging around in people's mind. That's more than a little creepy. ;) But, even so that would be doable, but I would say it would only work on someone he literally has met and touched their minds. Even so, recognizing someone disguised or altered in some way ought to require a resisted roll. Perception (or whatever) vs their disguise/shapeshift/etc.

To be honest I'm definitely concerned about the amount of overlap between our powersets. If you are really interested in playing this character, perhaps I could reconsider mine and go with a different concept.

In terms of the "bits of me in people's minds" that's a philosophy point - I carry around an image of who I think you are, and you carry around an image of who you think I am.

As for the overlap, Hmm... I hear the issue. I did want to move away from the megaperception side of things, and was more looking at telepathy as an extension of how I operate. I could shift the power focus more from direct connection between people to the "a bit of you is in me, and a bit of me is in you" for tricks like quantum imprint... I guess I do like the idea - but as far as I'm concerned you got in first - I'm happy to put it on hold and pull out annother idea from my sack of concepts ;)

Hmm, Mr Fox, to add to the earlier comment - I'm not planning on going past 1 point of megaperception and I'm happy to reduce teleport to a "token" power (though I'd still like to have it, just a dot or two - with limited megaper and that it's only to people he has met yours would have much greater power and scope, dice pools of up to 7 would give me a reliable 20km range, I'm sure yours would beat that by a few orders of magnitude).

Likewise, telepathy would be much weaker (again, no megaperception) so while I was planning to put a few more points in the dice pool probably won't go past 9 giving me an average range of 200km, maybe 2000. Continental at best (though I'll drop that more if needed - again, important flavour, not really a focus power). The main focus of the character is more the information manipulation and mega charisma. And maybe Disorient for combat use.

If you'll tolerate a poor cousin on those powers and some (strong) competition in the art of winning people's hearts and minds I'll polish off this character and put it up. Failing that, I'll acknowledge your greatness (great minds think alike after all) and pull out annother concept - perhaps a quirky healer I've been thinking of (kind of a fleshcrafter theme).

It was. So... any idea as to when we can start doing things in CN and get this bad boy on the road?

Also I think we need to put a moratorium on new things. I think we are going a bit far.

George, come up with a different concept. The road you're taking is too dangerous.

Mel, Why did you post it like that? I was being nice.

To me this isn't a thing of change and compromise. This concept now that I think of it is completely dangerous to what we are trying to create.

We're trying not to make uber-powerful win-button characters. This part of the IE multiverse isn't the epic-level shenanigans I got elsewhere in IE. (That is my sandbox).

Hell, I'm seeing people trying to turn this into a CoQF lite. While not what I want to see, we have to realize that this is a powered setting. But in the same breath we have to realize we will have to either remove a lot of what others object to instead of trying again and again with different iterations what is wanted.

I'm being militant because this universe has a lot of concept being born... more than any other thing in IE. This has ambition and potential. What is so wrong with saying No?

So, after a productive session in chat some productive things are brewing. It seems that the current process of compromise when it comes to people wanting custom powers has some serious flaws. The main problem is that it is compromise ... given we are all friends here people want to give people a chance. That includes me ... I am not completely anti custom powers and such. We have Fox's TK suite and Jer's combat sense power that worked out pretty well - balanced, nice. But they could have just as easily worked out not so well, depending on who has the time, energy or motivation to participate in these extensive OOC discussions.

The game system, with the books we've allowed in is already incredibly rich. It is my belief that most ideas for custom powers are just too convenient OOC substitutions for giving a PC something that already exists in the rules, and then using those tools to do the problem solving In Character.

Of course, there are some exceptions. Not every conceivable power exists. Most of that can be taken care of with the strengths and weaknesses system in the player's guide. That system should be the first place someone turns when looking for a custom power. I encourage people to use this system - its a great way to make your character special, to have something unique.

Failing that ... it should be a vote. The player who wants something brand new has to think about it first - and then submit precise rules text the way they want it to read. It has to be ready to go before submitted for a vote. Then, every other player gets one vote - yay or nay. If it doesn't get in, it doesn't get in. People DO NOT have to explain why they voted one way or the other. This may seem harsh, but it makes people think about putting in crazy new things before they submit them.

The big thing about such a voting procedure ... it is fair. Fair to all the players involved. Fair to those who don't want to - or can't - spend their time posting OOC arguments for or against powers. Its yay or nay, decision made.

Archived