Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, then it is time to commence operation "CN: Revival"!

If anyone is interested in getting clued in on a plot idea (as in doing something with said idea) either by running something with it or participating in a thread with Kei (which will be the alpha thread) let me know. I'd like to start at least around January 1st.

Also, I'd like to at least wrap Operation: Valiant Shield in the coming weeks.

Also, Abyss, Want to have a thread with Kamiko? I will be having her complete by this coming weekend for running.

Note that since Kamiko isn't in any active game or is being used, I am bringing her in. Might be a little... jarring... who she is in CN. Particularly with how she was on the yacht.

On a note, I will be wrapping Valiant with a summary post from my notes on the 26th, unless directed otherwise.

On the new year I will be proposing a story that could be considered a world event and see who would be interested in seeing it through. I had been dropping hints about it in some of my stories, but the delay on Valiant has held up the overall execution.

I will be honest, speaking in general, CN is not in a healthy position, I think my proposal on the 1st will hopefully bring life to it again.

If I don't see much after that, I don't know what I can do to try to get things popping like the beginning.

Fox: If you are unable to continue with our thread, that is fine, just close it. We are at some point, though, to discuss what to do about Kei-Nate.

I will be wanting to participate in the world event with Nate, I look forward to it. Personally, I've been pretty distracted with the whole pregnancy and birth of the twins.

As for the Nate Kei thing, lets talk in chat soon. I'll try and keep an eye open for you there when I'm able to jump in.

Also, for some reason work just started blocking the site today. I've been hitting the pages here for 6+ years from work and out of the blue they are blocked. With my time at home so occupied by the babies that might make it difficult for me for a while, but I'll try and keep up when we start a new event.

That is rather hard to quantify. In the CN setting, Novas have only been around for 5 years, with no legacy of Utopia or the Teragen. It is also somewhat of a closed setting from the rest of the IE meta-setting. Nothing Quantum Rating higher than 5.

So, Time Travelers and Dimension Hoppers aren't really that appropriate to this setting. Really tainted and unhuman seeming Novas (Sloppy Joe and the like) would be very uncommon, but if you have a good story for, you might be able to convince people.

Other than that, would ever you can give a reason or story for will probably be given a chance.

Some Info on the setting.

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to put this, but I would like to submit an un-statted Martial Art style, known as baguazhang, for use with the m.arts rules presented in The New Flesh. (I don't say a 'new' style because baguazhang has been around for a very long time now, even if it wasn't statted up in TNF.)

The stats for the style are shown below; I've built it so that it more or less parallels t'ai chi ch'uan's stats in general terms, though it differs in the details. Baguazhang and t'ai chi ch'uan were both built on the principles of the Tao and the Bagua, and a number of other things, so they share a lot of similarities, but they are nonetheless distinct styles. See this article at Wikipedia for details; in summary, baguazhang is a style that teaches a fluid, circular motion with rapid and unexpected changes of direction, allowing the practitioner to engage multiple opponents at once while simultaneously making it difficult to engage or strike them (embodied by the 'Circle Walking' bonus maneuver, that works identically to the 'Drunken Boxing' maneuver minus the faux drunken stumbling, and by the 'Multiple Assailant Method' maneuver). Baguazhang is also known for its numerous, and often distinctive weapons styles - particular those involving extremely large weapons (see the Wiki article for a pic of a guy wielding a saber that's about as big as he is ;) ).

Anyway, assuming this is approved, I'm going to add a rank in it to Z's Melee skill. Thanks for reading, guys!

Baguazhang

Associated Ability: M.Arts/Melee

Prereqs: M.Arts 2, Melee 2 and at least 3 dots of Wits and Dex (or 1 dot in Megas)

Time to learn: 2 years per specialty

Starting Maneuvers: Block, Joint Lock, Strike, Kick, Throw, Weapon Strike, Special (Weapon Forms advanced technique, works as with Savate, T'ai Chi Ch'uan, and similar styles)

Bonus Maneuvers: Dodge, Clinch, Feint, Hold, Pressure Strike, Shove, Sweep, Weapon Bind

Advanced Techniques: Chi Respire, Circle Walking (Drunken Boxing), Expanded Technique, Finesse, Master Lock, Meditative Form, Multiple Assailant Method, Reversal, Rooting Stance

Looks reasonable enough to me. Does grant access to some techniques that are quite restricted to a limited number of styles, but all in all, it seems comparable to the other more generous styles. I say give it a go.

Making me think about designing the elven Bladesong style. :D Reading the description they gave for T'ai Chi Chuan and Fencing, combining them gave a good compromise.

Archived