Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Biocore

The power core is a organic organ that fuction like a node. By converting ambient quantum energy into direct electrical power it is the ultime in bio-energy conversion.

the biggest proplem is it is nearly 35 ft in diameter and weight nearly 25 tons.

the power core can sustain 200 MW and hour indefinly as long as the wear and tear is alowed to self- repair

The power core is still in the testing phase but if it passes it will end japans depenences for foreign energy sources.

game notes "

powercore can produce 25 MW a hour with out wear and tear

can spend Up to 6 quantum a hour allowing it to produce a maxium 1600mw *

every hour it produce over 25 mw it suffers 1 lvl of unsoakable damage.

the power core has 6 health lvls before it is destroyed -0x6 / destroyed

The core is organic and can heal 1 health lvl per hour for 1 quantum points

the power core recovers 4 pts a hour

device

* note 1 : I use the lifter enchancement to respent the power core to produce more energy

Quantum conversion 5 (20 xp)

enhancement regeneration, lifter (6xp)

Quantum 5 (12xp)

usable by baseline (6xp)

quantum pool 25 (0xp)

total 44xp

reasearch 44 days

construction 22 days

mass production 14 months 3 weeks

I apoligize if this is too grumpy; as of this writing, I'm still in sinus-caused pain.

I have a couple of issues with this. First, it says it functions like a node and is an organic organ that is 35 feet in diameter and weighs 25 tons. My brain can't even concieve of how that would be grown, come to be or how it could work. For all intents, it is a massive, giant node, and that's both unsettling and bizarre. Additionally, this seems to be the kind of invention that will stifle creativity and storytelling by virtue of removing a possible area of conflict from which a story could come about. I guess people could attack the giant node, but this will "solve all of Japan's energy problems". That removes that conflict from the game, a conflict which is valid and has roots in the real-world problems that are the best places to look for stories.

Numerically, I have a massive issue with the idea of using Lifter, an enhancement about strength, to somehow affect the amount of quantum this regenerates. That is not what Lifter is about and you can't use it this way. If your invention doesn't work without Lifter, I suggest you look to creating a custom enhancment that will.

Again, I apologize if I come off as grumpy. I'm trying to be tactful, but it's rather hard atm.

I would have to agree on Carver's points, verbatim. In fact I will look over each of your inventions now with a fine-toothed comb, Nova, and bring up issues as they arise.

I am going to give the benefit of the doubt and you're just trying to make something work. Don't take this as a censure. Yet.

I do follow the mantra of "Trust then Verify".

Addendum: Assessments

Medical Pod - This originally I had liked. Now I feel this stretches the bounds of the Advancement/Device system we created. Something as advanced as the Medical Pod and does what it does would be a Device, yet through the Advancement system you made it simply advanced technology. While what it does doesn't seem too empowering to the user (it is just a fancy ICU bed), it is walking a thin line.

Erector - It is unclear what this does in it's stats, also with what it does and how it is built is two different monsters. This thing is a obvious device yet is built as an advancement. I would ask until you have a clearer design you remove it (use the Hide feature) and re-post it once you have a clearer concept or just drop it unless it's key for a plot. But it's function definitely has to become clearer before you post it again. This needs a complete re-write before re-submission.

Viner - Again, this would better be represented as a Device than a Advancement. Same conditions for re-post.

Bio-Lasers - Again, the way these are represented, they should be Devices not Advancements. Built as powers.

Bio-Armor - I am seeing a running theme here. Again, Device not Advancement.

Bio-Core - No. Just No.

I would recommend everything but the Medical Pod be Hid, and either rewrite these as directed or just drop these ideas all together.

ok

i used the lifter enchancement since it would double the power output per quantum just like it would do the strenght weight so i saw no need to create a new enchancement when their was a perfectly fine one already their

You doubled the result of a power with an enhancement. I understand the logic you used, but you replicated a part of Mastery, which requires Quantum 6. That's incredibly game-breaking. I know you removed all the stuff; I'm explaining to try to help you understand the mechanics of the game and why something you did was absolutely, completely broken.

The reason that Lifter isn't unbalancing is because it only applies to the ability to move something heavy. It has nothing to do with damage, fighting or power output of any kind. It's very limited to a set effect. Saying that Lifter's ability to double output applies to all powers immediately takes away that limitation and makes it overpowered. I hope that's clearer. :)

The rest of the inventions can be tweaked and will be ok. The Bio-core on the other hand is a problem, not just mechanically, but in it's effect. Something that powerful basically changes the balance of power in the world. Suddenly Japan is completely energy self-sufficient and is able to take a big chunk of it's GDP out of energy consumption and sink it into other things. Any device on that scale basically effects the entire world and so needs approval of the group before creation.

Not that it can't be done, but doing so would need to be thought through. For instance, what would happen if Japan did have this mega node? How would other nations react? At the very least they would want to know how to make mega nodes of their own. Chances are good that other nations would target Japan and attack them, or attempt to sabotage the biocore. Having it would have a major effect on the Japanese economy and potentially that of the entire world. All of these things are legitimate story ideas, but they are the sort of thing that the group needs to decide on since it would effect all characters.

Thanks Mr Fox but i was told that they were not leget for this game so i deleted them. the power core was soming that i thought was a good idea sinch it was mention in the core books so i flushed it out. i didnt have enough xp yet to buy it but i like the idea for plots but carver and kami must have other ideas for japan.

i was trying to created idems that base lines could use and in time produce but i was told that sinch i used bio-tech for them it was to advance and had to use quantum powers to dublicate them not base it on things baseline could used.

all except for power core i thought i had agreement since i ask what people thought. but i must a made a mistake on it as carver and kami pointed out to me if it is biotech it is not a advancement but a power( it is to advance ).

Thank you for your imput but i do not want to cause proplems for the group so i remove them.

It was cool that you though the same of me for story arcs.

• 1 month later...

Sounds interesting, though Taeli won't be involved much - other than maybe people pressuring her on revealing her opinions. By that point, though she'll probably be living in the US, she still won't be a citizen yet, and it still only 17, even if she does look a few years older. :)

Heh.

Anyway, having checked in on a few details, I'm going to throw out some suggestions for the candidates.

THE INCMUBENT: President Carlson and Veep (information here: ) have had some mixed improvements in the economy to their credit, as well as reflexive public sympathy for them since the attack on the White House in No Heroes Here.

Still, dissatisfaction over the slow pace has given Congresswoman Mazie fodder for her campaign, and Carlson holds only a small lead so far. Also, negotiations with a number of South American countries for economic trade have been stymied by the sudden re-election of Hugo Chavez, which had been something Carlson was touting on the stump.

THE CHALLENGER: A three-term Congresswoman from New York state, and a charismatic moderate Democrat, Julia Mazie hopes to be the first female president of the United States. Her primary focus in challenging Carlson's record has been on the economy and rebuilding the infrastructure of America. Much of the female and left-leaning vote is on her side, and the likability factor is tied between her and Carlson.

Unfortunately, during a foreign tour, she made some gaffes in the EU and in the Middle East which have drawn condemnation from her hosting countries, and raised questions as to whether she is suited for the foreign policy demands of the presidency.

That's good stuff, but keep in mind that CN is not a canon world in the sense that there was no N-Day and the traditional groups from canon don't necessarily exist. No Proteus because there was no Max Mercer and Divis Mal, etc. No Teragen, no Utopia.

We had R-day, the day the refugees entered this Earth via the Stonehenge anomaly. That in turn caused some eruptions and made apparent that psiads and novas exist.

One of the campaign issues might be the continuing detection and registration of psychics. It's a pretty popular subject among the population in general, but there would no doubt be a small but vocal minority against the registration on the grounds of civil liberties.

I was going to have Connor courted by both parties to throw his support behind them, as well as fellow actors

Something I wanted to potentially look at. Anyone have ideas on what the effect of endorsement from novas would be? Especially the popular ones? Many novas are public figures, from all walks of life, those that do exist. how much of an effect are we going to let them have on this?

(As far as who wins, I figure a simple vote is going to be fine, unless people want to actively influence the course of the election.)

I actually can't see Novas making -that- much of difference, though that wouldn't stop them from being courted, just like in real life. More actors and musicians support the Democrat, much fewer support the Republican, and then it seems the US votes mostly down middle, with that tiny swing vote, every time.

What was it last time? Obama has a 'landslide' victory with 52-53% or something?

Don't discount the psiads either, candidates would have to be extremely paranoid about being touched by them least their deepest darkest scandalous secrets be brought to light.

Also, given the distrust of the Refugee novas I wonder if the general populous would really trust nova endorsements. Of course Conner and other really mega popular novas might have influence.

Well, Kei doesn't really get involved in politics, but then again as a Minnesotan she always votes Democrat. But I dont know if Kei would endorse anyone. Doesn't feel it's her place. Now as for a cause or issue, she would chime in. Any big issues floating around?

BTW - Naomi for Prime Minister. :P

Though that could happen... :rolleyes:

Well. We had this conversation once before, I wager. But now is the time...

1: Kamiko now is not in any active game. While Age of Heroes had potential, It seems to have shuffled the mortal coil.

2: I do not intend to continue foreward with her in CoQF.

I want to give her a second chance. Luckily she also won't step on any toes. With how she is developing in the 11 story, I feel there is great potential for her to take a new angle with not only Department 0, but other stories that can play out outside what Naomi will be able to do as a mother and a duty-bound member of Department 0.

Kamiko is going to be the ace up Japan's sleeve.

I will have the further details soon, but needless to say, I want to bring her in.

(BTW, the display name is Koken'nin, which means "Guardian")

Okay, I have literally dropped a bomb at the end of November 2012 in the CN timeline. This is the start of a plot I have been planning for a bit. Something I would like to take everyone on at some point as it resolves. Right now I am starting to not pull punches in achieving important events in the plot and the Kamchatka bombing that has taken place is the first movement in the long march to the climax coming soon.

But before I take the next step I would like to see if there are any takers. There is potential this can change the political landscape of CN, and I think it can be a very important total event in CN World history.

Who wants to come along?

I'm still stuck back in September and before with some things. I literally can't think forward that far yet.

And having read 11, I now would like to open a potentially contentious discussion. I don't feel that PCs should be running the major world/government organizations. If they built something themselves, that's different. But part of the CN universe has a built-in distrust of novas. This is lessened for native novas, but is still there.

I don't see the level of trust existing for novas to allow them great amounts of power. Yes, they have power themselves, but giving them access to high-level government positions exceeds that trust. There are novas that would have an easier time of gaining that trust--Mech, just as an example, because he has rediculous amounts of "I'm awesome." Long is a bipedal tiger, cop-hero or not. I don't see people trusting him with a high-level government position, especially one in charge of directing other novas. Please note, I'm only talking about Long because he's the case we have coming up, and Mech because Mega-socials out the ass.

Last, I apologize for not mentioning this sooner, but I've had RL cramming crap onto my plate and I'm kinda worn out atm.

The angle I am seeing with Ryu, is that he has a record during his human life of service to the community and to the country as a officer of the peace. He's had a few chances to also prove himself in some tight situations. Unfortunately I don't know if his leadership qualities have been fully tested in story.

Thing is right now these are questions I can only answer for Long. That is what needs to be sorted.

As for Mech... goddamn. He could rule the world.

I don't know if my wanting to make a overarching story sort of caused this question to be raised... after all I did put him in this position. I think Long and I can work something to back off of this odd turn of affairs, without tearing through a whole fiction's story with edits.

That's me looking ahead of the ball instead of keeping my eye on it, I am afraid. But I will talk with Long about this tonight and see what he thinks. I think before anyone takes action, (myself included since I am notorious for it) we should hash this out and work out a game plan.

Agreed. And it could be as simple as the Diet voting against it. I'm sure that Japan has a method by which their elected officials get a say in who is appointed to key government positions. Even though the current Director thinks it'll be easy to pass, she can't know the minds and hearts of all the members of the Diet. That'd be the easiest fix at this point.

I think that would be the best course of action, but only if there is a agreement that PCs shouldn't get or have leadership positions in their respective organizations. I'm on the fence with this one, this detail isn't exactly important to my plot, but the chaos of the Japanese Government trying to find a replacement for the former Director is a prime opportunity for plot to sneak in.

I think this though should be a wait-and-see, until others get their say.

Odd side note... Koken also means Guardian. Hard trying to come up with a Japanese code name for a character...

You know if a nova takes a public postion they would be taken out of play as their hands would be tired by red-tape and any mistake would cause a major back lash. which can be fun to Rp it thru

i have np with allowing characters postion as long as the have the backgrounds to support it and have a good story thay every one can play in. ( i.e. Nova's in america dealing with runing for president ect.)

some of the funest times were Aberrant president election adventure that i ran.

so my vote is yes as long as it is with in reason.

Mech for pesident would have the entire baseline powers running scared

After speaking with Long and Carver, and seeing a consensus forming, and also with Long's agreement, Ryu won't be heading up Department Zero.

While how this happens is a bit up in the air, needless to say his heading Department 0 isn't happening.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay...

I am going to need to talk to Carv and Long about a situation with the current direction of a DSA plot. I know our schedules don't mesh cleanly (and may get a little worse before it gets better), but I'd like at least at some point in the next couple weeks (since thanksgiving is this week) to talk about it. I'd rather not pull the trigger on it unless I got some people aboard.

Archived