Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova OOC

Mr Fox

One note... Even though we have established that Telluris, Kei, and Kamiko were on the scene, there is potential for everyone to be there. Either helping in a different stricken town or what not. I can imagine the science club taking care of the reactor situation, and everyone else handling various phases of the disaster/recovery process.

This has potential... it's a big freakin' hook we can all hang our hats on.

I don't see that Karrie was there. She's never left the lab for a mission, in part because she is considered to be only a brain and comparably fragile. Sending her into the field could be dangerous for her.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds good. In fact, I could easily see either the Tsunami, or the earthquake in Haiti being the catalyst that brought the world governments together to form the DSA. When the refugees first came through they (the governments) would all have been scrambling to get as many novas as possible for themselves, but a big disaster like this could be the thing that made them realize how useful working together could be.

Thoughts?

Also, I thought we were 5 years into the nova era, was I a year off on this?

5 years out, but unlike canon world, there wasn't a crazy mega powerful nova pumping out quantum juju causing scores of novas to erupt. "Nday" aka, the arrival of the Refugees, did cause some eruptions like Jedi's, but only a handful in total and the numbers of novas erupting since then have been very very low compared to the canon world, which we discussed early on in world building.

I was under the impression that the DSA was international, but based out of America, or at least had an international focus. Our world isn't like canon where there are so many novas that there are Team Tomorrow groups on every continent. I figure there is one group, the DSA that deals with international crisis and 'nova issues'. I had come up with an Interpol related group that I had put Morgan in, but then everyone started talking about the DSA as the group everyone belonged to, so I figured the DSA was international. We may have had some mis-communication there.

I don't see that Karrie was there. She's never left the lab for a mission, in part because she is considered to be only a brain and comparably fragile. Sending her into the field could be dangerous for her.

It's called Telepresence! ^_^ It's wonderful what you can do with a tablet, headset, and wireless/sattelite internet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 2011!

I'm joking around but you can assist from your office pretty easily enough. If you wish to participate.

Speaking of the event...

I'm also thinking to preserve continuity (so we don't accidentally off ourselves) I think we should consider this an "event" where a situation occurs and we post solo fictions to describe what our characters did. If people wanted to do collabs that's fine too.

I know some don't like RPing with plot floaties on, but to be honest we are semi protected in this event. We did get rambunctious and started a couple threads for ourselves. That's the consequences of having fun in a collaborative fiction.

So... my idea seaworthy?

Continuity note...

The events of the disaster/relief effort would take place over a couple months starting in March of 2011. Nerds and Nights takes place in March of 2012, one year later. Mission 0 (which I am going to continue on) takes place starting September 2011.

Sorry I haven't posted much, and it seems like I'm getting a little left behind, but here's my concept for a character: Alex Samuelson, aka Matter Man. He was born a genius, but to poor parents on 'the wrong side of the tracks', USA. He grew up having to hide his intellect for fear of his safety, and having to help his father, a handyman, to make enough money to keep things going. He got through high school and got a full ride to a local college, where he studied engineering and sent all his wages back home to help his family.

After he graduated, he got a good job @ an R&D/Fabrication company, started making a lot of money, got his master's degree, and his parents eventually died of old age. Refugees come show up the same day that he's working on a particle accelerator; it overloads and triggers his eruption. Now he can transform his body into any substance he's touching, create virtually anything out of nothing, and alter anything that's already in existence (mostly non-living, though he does have very limited power over that as well).

Once he erupted and figured out the full extent of his powers, he quit his job and bought a garage back in his old hometown. Here he fixes and tricks out cars, his passion. However, he still hides his intelligence. In the basement of his garage, he has a bleeding edge tech lab that he uses for government R&D contracts and various other projects (usually relating to tricking out his cars).

So, he's already working for the US Government at the start of the game, though as a sub-contractor, not specifically as a nova. He keeps his powers and smarts on the down-low, just barely keeping his garage afloat. He has several properties across the country where he keeps and spends his wealth (both from his 'side job' as well as some that he created when he first started).

Powers would be:

Matter Chameleon

Matter Creation

Molecular Manip

Disintegration/Healing (both at 1 rank to show limited influence over living matter).

Mega Int

Lots of Skills, beefed up mental attributes.

I won't be playing with the making of gadgets except on rare occasions. Basically have him pegged as prototyper and the general feel of a shade-tree mechanic. Definitely a field op.

Thoughts, critiques?

I... have to make an apology to people here because I'm not sure now how bad I've borked.

I have such a weak will.

In any case. I truely... truely want to play a different Kamiko here from the one I play (Notice I didn't state this in post-mortem) in CoQF.

I feel I can seperate the two very easily. But I am aware of the rules. Thing is when I started making Kamiko my other character to help keep the Japanese material going and to help with plot ideas I have, I honestly felt that Kamiko could be a character I could use.

So... I throw myself to the mercy of the court.

I am sorry I am so weak willed, but I am sure I can do this.

I... have to make an apology to people here because I'm not sure now how bad I've borked. I have such a weak will. In any case. I truely... truely want to play a different Kamiko here from the one I play (Notice I didn't state this in post-mortem) in CoQF. I feel I can seperate the two very easily. But I am aware of the rules. Thing is when I started making Kamiko my other character to help keep the Japanese material going and to help with plot ideas I have, I honestly felt that Kamiko could be a character I could use. So... I throw myself to the mercy of the court. I am sorry I am so weak willed, but I am sure I can do this.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here, Kami. Care to elaborate for me?

The rule is that if you have a active character in some other game, or even in some other IE universe, you cannot have one here in CN.

I was originally thought I was done with CoQF, but it seems that (yet again) it called me back.

I wanted to make a different Kamiko that wasn't neck-deep in a world about to come unzipped and wasn't a Q8 wonderkind.

I can understand if folks wanna stick to the rules, but I know I can handle being CN Kamiko and CoQF Kamiko.

CN Kamiko herself isn't even a primary character for me, but a character to interact with other international characters or to work with the plots I've been scribbling down for Department 0. Or even if somoene joins with a Japanese character as well, I'm there to interact with.

hi i asked if i could join i dodn't have a character in any games here. my toughts was a nova who is powers fouces more on mega attribute so he would not have any powers to start with. if you want anthour i give you backgound.(like the concept of the game)

Umm I think I used the wrong wording.

If I have a character active in another game, I can't remake that character in CN.

Although I honestly wanted to make a version of Kamiko that wasn't as powerful as the Q8 Kamiko.

So... I'm leaving it up to the folks here. If they got any objections I will simply move Kamiko to NPC status, although I would like to have her as my other full-blooded character in this.

Please?

Nova, it's an Open World game, meaning anyone is welcomed to join providing they create a character that fits the game. Go ahead and work up a character and post your idea for everyone to review and we'll give it a lookover. :)

this is my character background so far

james t. cross was retire navy of us subforce he sereve 20 yrs on the ohio class subs(nuclear missiles).

when he retire he lived off his retirement. he had many proplems he was fat, lazy, accident prone, got sick all the time, even girls stay away from him. the only hi point was anime he watched. he went to japan to teach english. he was nearly fired because his english was so bad. he went to arabra THAT DAY his life changed he was exposed to what scientist would one day called a quantum nexus for some point in the furture large amount quatum was released.but it mansfested in the past,he found himself transformed his entire body became perfect his strengh, reflexes, stanima, perception, intellengence, wits, appearence, manipulation, charasma all became perfected. he relised what has happen to him he mind worked faster then ever he went to internet and played daytraded he maded tens of thousands he got a secured living space located at a old kendo school. after he paided off there debt. the following days every this went perfect he removed his pass life. started twin corporation one in japan and U.S.

what you think so far this happen during year one so most gov't wount know what to look for.

I definitely want to encourage you to flesh out this character and join in, the site can always use new writers. A word of advice, however, you might want to proof-read your posts. We all make mistakes with spelling and grammar now and then, but it's hard to read your post with no capitalization.

If the current background works for you ill type the stats here is more background.

James build his company T.C.R.I (stands for Techno Cosmic Research Instuition) tru a whirlwind of stock manipulation his company is within top 500 while on paper he seems to owned property and employed hundreds in fact he is currently the only one. He invested in small japanese towns and shirns in the U.S. he bought large tracks of waste lands and invested in midwest towns. while this means on paper he is exemely wealth. In fact he has little cash to his name as all his wealth is tied up( resource 1), plus he spends it has fast has he makes it. his personality dramaticly change. his self-confident exceeds most people arrogance. he does every thing at 200% skydiving with out a parchut. running with the bulls,Cliff diving. Learning sciences, extreme sports are routine to him. He is wise enought to never get 1st place so he keeps under the radar. but his confidence blinds him that other are better then him. He is looking in to lawfirms to protect him. most reporters can't find him at all as he deleted his records. He will help those in need but advoids gov't agents like the plague.

Check out the characters section, there are some good examples in there. Most people go with a background write up to give people an idea of who the character is and how they came to be involved, followed by the character sheet. I'm not sure but perhaps Dawn could help you with formatting. She created a really nice html character sheet, but it stopped working for me when the site changed to new software a few months back. Perhaps she has an updated version? If not you can do it the way I have my Jedi character, the main thing is that it be easy to read and understand.

Nova name: Surpreme

birth name: James t Cross

Str:(wellbuilt) 5 Dex:(catlike) 5 Sta:( resilient) 5

Per:(insightful) 5 Int:(brilight) 5 Wits:(creative) 5

App:(alluring) 5 Man:(persuasive) 5 Chr:(poite) 5

Atheletics:1 Martial arts: 1 Melee:3 Stealth 1 Endurance 5 Resistance 5 Awareness 1 Academics 1 Bureaucracy 1 Computers 3 Enginneering 3

Linguistics:1 Medicine: 3 Science: 3 Arts:1 Biz:1 Rapport:1 Intimidation:1 Style:1 Suberfuge:1 Command:1 Etiguette:1 Perform:1

Background: Node 5 Eufiber 1 Resources:1 Cipher:1

Willpower:3 Taint 1 Quantum:5

Mstr:3 lifter.Kidgloves

Mdex:3 Kensai,One man army

Msta: 5 Fertility,Resiliencex2,adaptability,

Mper: 3 true intent

Mint:3 taint resistance,wayfarer

Mwit: 3 clandestine mentality

Mapp: 3seductive looks, almost alive

Mman:3 Enigma,compelling

Mchr:3 Bardic Gift Screen presence

Powers: Time manipulation 1

Matter manipulation 1

Gravity control 1

healing 1

these are what im looking at so far

the powers are base on basic quantum physics but he will not be able to use any except healing until latter were he is forced to need it

he has no dormacy has his dislike of his old self prevent it

Merits: taint resistance eufiber attunned(3)

Flaws: obession( mastering is nature)

Intolerance( organize religions)-due to being called satin spawn

Obession( anime collector) now as a nova he is thousand times wurst. but no care

height 6'6 ( james 5'9)

weight 250 lbs (james 245 not muscle)

hair: silver long flowing tied in a loop( short uncomb)

eyes: deep green ( blue)

Supreme thinks he is smarter then the gov't maybe it true but other nova's know of him. even thru tracking him is nearly impossible(wayfarer) also while he works to develop his powers he is releasing quatum energy that other can detect. agents cant get close as he can spot them miles away and cause them to go in circles.plus sinch that day he sleep about one day every year. he keeps his hand in nearly every thing. from material science to genetic enginering he never takes the credit just the money that gos back into the company.( as he gets more exp he will take backing and influence and resources showing the profits and power of his company. one of his goals is to have a huge mansion filled with phd supermodels. it will happen sinch he is surpreme after all. the U.S. can reactive him as he is reserve. also the japanese gov't can get his assist easly as the are the source of his obession.

i hope you like the background pls let me know also i spent 4 yrs in japan so i know the koto plains well. if you need any background their let me know their is a nice ben-to store next to a strine it was owned by the famile that had a kendo- school. real nice folks.

Umm I think I used the wrong wording.

If I have a character active in another game, I can't remake that character in CN.

Although I honestly wanted to make a version of Kamiko that wasn't as powerful as the Q8 Kamiko.

So... I'm leaving it up to the folks here. If they got any objections I will simply move Kamiko to NPC status, although I would like to have her as my other full-blooded character in this.

Please?

If we're making this a vote, I ask that you do make Kamiko an NPC. Why? Simply put and without any anger or rancor, we had a situation where a couple of people (and yes, I was one of the people wanting to do this) wanted to do something that wasn't expressly forbidden and was denied. This situation is expressly forbidden. If we won't make exceptions for people to do something that wasn't clearly forbidden, then I ask that we don't bend the rules for something that was disallowed.

Okay... gonna fix this.

I'll resubmit May, and get her fixed up, but after that... I really don't want to bring Kamiko in if I can't bring her in full.

We can vote on this, just like anything else. Given that Mech is also breaking this rule, it seems like we do need to have a consensus about it. Why did we have that rule? Was it to bar active IE PCs from porting over as they are? Or is there another reason we didn't want to allow them? Would it be better to say that you can't have your active IE PC brought into CN?

Just as a note: despite referencing the refugees in my previous post, this is nothing to do with vindictiveness and everything to do with fairness. That's why I added mention of Mech up there despite the fact that I really like the PC; I'm trying to be fair to everyone, yes, even to myself. One group of people was barred from doing something that wasn't even stated in the rules, while another group is breaking a rule established from the beginning. If people can step back and look at this impersonally, I think it'll be clear.

Here's the thing.

We came up with that rule after Mech was established in CN. Pretty much Connor was grandfathered in. At least that is how I understand it happened.

I don't wanna have to drop CoQF just to make her here. I'll make Kamiko a NPC then. Long is resolving his situation in his own way.

To be honest... if there is any vote to be had, it's for repeal of this heavy-handed, excessive, and overall unwarranted rule. CN has expanded to a comfortable point. I don't think we're going to kill anyone's game. That rule was originally put into place to protect games like CoQF and DR from being killed. It's obvious people playing here want to play other games as well and are perfectly fine with that.

I'm not sure if this motion would past muster of Majority+1, but this is what is on the table, the repeal of the "Original/Inactive characters only" rule. I think if we want to play in this and we're able to stay in other games, then this rule really isn't necessary.

In fact now that I look at the bigger picture, I am willing to agree to Refugee characters, as long as they are built to CN rules, and certain common sense considerations are made (Low resources (since you're away from home), no backing, your Eufiber is dead, but you got access to being a Terat or what not. otherwise you're built like a Native.)

Honestly, I see the rule as protecting CN rather than the other way around. I don't want to see a repeal of it. I want to alter it so that it states active IE PCs can't be played in CN. I am not concerned about someone having a PC in QF or DR and in CN at the same time; I'm more concerned about someone having an IE PC and bringing it into play because "it's not against the rules."

On repealing it completely, I'd vote no.

I am willing to modify the proposal then to a IE Shield, thus amending the rule as this:

"No active character in IE is allowed in CN or to be recreated in CN. All other characters from other games are allowable."

Is that a better proposition?

Unless the goal of the remake prohibition is to keep things fresh. Then perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree. But the proposal for vote has changed.

I must admit, I feel rather....slapped in the face at the moment.

So, the rules specifically stated no other active PCs to be duplicated in CN. One already is and another is attempting to be. And the suggested action? Change the rules!

This from the same person bemoaning my question - a question that was apparently ruining the intent of the entire game.

What's going on here? What exactly is the basis of this game? Is this honestly just another OW free-for-all or are there actual steady, equally applied, enforced rules to the board with a coherent reason behind them?

There doesn't really need to be a rule for shielding against other IE characters. The IE rules state that no character from IE is allowed into stories within IE unless the players want to allow them. Simply stating that we don't want other IE characters in this setting is all that's needed, and we've already said that. Besides since there are different creation rules for the regular IE setting, it would be hard to integrate from one setting to the other.

As for the rule about duplicate PCs, usually when we make that rule for a game it is to both keep things fresh, and protect against the tendency for writers to get bored with writing for one of the characters or the other, and thus hurting any of the games that character is in.

Siabhra, I understand you were affected by the earlier rule enforcement, but let's not be confrontational please. This game isn't any different than any other one on the site, the rules can always be changed if the player base wants to change them. That's no different than any game, ST run or otherwise.

I don't really care one way or the other about duplicate PCs, but we did create a rule specifically saying no (After Connor was created, and it is my understanding that this Connor is different from the other one). So that would mean a vote would need to be held to change that rule.

Archived