Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Fiction - Episode 2: P&P (fin)

The Mariner

The Professor Stood up and walked over to Sarah, undoing her restraints.

"I know you're there, Headmistress... we need to talk..."

"Chris, take her to the Hikari Maru... I will deal with her myself..."

The Headmistress peeks up from behind some of the torn bulkhead. "I don't think so, Professor."

She holds a piece of metal up "You know what I can do with this..."

"You do and I will make damn sure you don't draw another breath..." The Professor said.

"Ooh... that's new from you... I like that... you've some spunk in you. How about instead..."

She flings her hand, and Sarah flies overboard.

"No!"

The Professor jumps overboard, and and lands in the water to get Sarah.

Chris looked at the headmistress. "I'm going to deal with you truly, in a moment. for now, this will do."

He reached out and simply severed all her connections to the flow of quantum witthin her, and any quantum powered device.

Then he dove after the Professor and Sarah, Shifting into his full sized form causing a geyser of water to errupt from the ocean. He brought his hands together beneath them, cushioning and halting their descent. He brought them to the surface rapidly, doubting they'd both have breathed deeply ahead of time. They weren't deep enough for the bends. Still he bobbed like a cork in the water, with only a single soul around aside from them.

"Mech... I can't sense the Headmistress... it's like... her quantum..."

"Professor... my head."

The Professor snaps out of her fuge state and takes the respirator helmet off of Sarah.

"You look... different."

"Shh... let me check you for injuries."

The professor looks in her eyes and senses a spark. "No... Can't be... When were you taken?"

A trickle of blood comes from her nose... "months ago, it was... after... father... disowned..."

"hrrgghhh..." Sarah groans, holding her head.

"Mech... she's about to pop the big one... This Sarah isn't a psychokinetic! She's... Erupting!"

The Professor knew what was coming, she could feel it. "Get us back to the deck we were on... quickly!"

Chris lifted out of the water on an array of Ionic drives, landing on the deck where a dumbstruck Headmistress still stood, unable to believe what had been done to her. He set the girls down, and shifted while Sarah was preoccupied with the Professor, returning to his normal human form, and making sure there was no way for the headmistress to escape, using one of the returned clones, now in a nondescript grunt form to holld her there.

"It's okay, Sarah. We're both here for you, I know it hurts, but you'll be fine." He stroked her hair softly, his voice inhumanly soothing, as even the pain seemed to lessen under the influence of his rich baritone voice.

"Mech, call S2 back please... but have her have a different face."

She scans Sarah with her Ionic. "Yes... you're alright... and you are the real Sarah."

She hugs her, knowing while that might not help the pain of eruption, knowing someone is there with you helps.

"Why... where did my powers..."

Mary holds her head, her eyes wide, she feels her heart flutter... her tainted and aberrated mind unable to keep her autonomic functions working properly.

"No... what did you do!... I... was keeping this ship together with my mind when Mech started wrecking things!"

"You've... killed me..."

Sarah starts to glow...

"I'm so sorry..." The Professor says as S2 arrives.

"I don't intend to let you die alone... Mary."

She has S2 grab the Headmistress and puts her life vest on her.

"Mech... let's go back..."

The Professor almost looks blank. "Sarah has 15 minutes before her plank event. We should get her to sickbay... and Mary.

"Why? After... everything..."

"Because, Mary... we're the last of our world."

Chris nodded, sending out a signal having the other copy return, this one dressed as a tech.

He looked at her, and nodded. "If she wishes you to live, I'll make it happen, once we are safe."

One of the copies shifted into a mech, which lowered it's hands. The copy holding mary climbed in first, then Chris took Sarah in his arms and allowed the professor to watch mary as he knelt in the mechs hands as it flew into the air, then into a warpgate back to the ship.

He carried her gently to the medical bay after detailing the copy holding Mary to take her to the brig.

The Professor starts making her way with Sarah. After Laying her down she kisses her on her warming forehead. "I will be back, the computers will tell me when your quantum spikes up, okay."

Sarah looks to Sakurako with a scared face. Sakurako puts her finger on Sarah's lips as if to say "shhh. It's alright."

Sarah nods and Sakurako runs to the makeshift brig she made in case Shadow ever returned... she did something that was an offense to the ship a couple weeks ago... and she was going to be punished if she did it again.

Mary laid on a cot. Sakurako pulled up a chair. "I can save you... give you some of your powers back and a new face, but you won't be the same. But I have to know... why?" She says, picking up the CTT wristband that Mary stole from her world years ago.

"Because, Sakurako it was your purpose... You are a soldier... like me... It is your duty to avenge Terra."

"No! Our world fell because of a mindset like that. We could have fled... found new worlds... but everyone decided to stay and fight!"

Mary smiled. "I see..." She turns away from Sakurako. "So... came here... to... gloat as I die?"

"Again... you can live. Mech can reverse what he did."

"But...what sort of life can I live?"

"I can put you into stasis... let you stay until i find a cure for your ailments. I cannot fix your aberrations but I can take away what caused them eventually."

Mary falls silent in thought. "That... is a fate worse than death, you know that... Let me die..."

"NO! You know damn well I can't let that happen!"

Mary smiled. "I was... using my power up and was about to escape when you showed up... I'm just about... ready to... rip apart at the seams soon."

"Mech! GET IN HERE!"

"Heh... you think he's stupid enough to give me my powers back?"

Mary smiles as Sakurako sees the taint beginning to take hold and warp her face.

Chris returned, and without word, he reached out and returned a portion of access she'd once had to her quantum. "You will never progress beyond this level without my permission. I've locked your quantum signature. Taint, or higher quantum, they are beyond your reach. What powers you can use, well you have access to those. I have drained all your quantum reserves, to give your body a chance to recover from the damage done."

"You may not wish to live, to lay down and die."

"I challenge you to repent, earn my faith with good works, and in time, I will restore what I've taken, and more."

That her life was in his hands was beyond dispute. Despite everything he offered her another chance. his tone showed this would be a final one.

The Professor looked to Mary. "Take this chance Mary... have faith we can fix you. You aren't far gone yet."

Mary smirked. "You are naive, Professor... Sakurako."

"No... I can save you. I have to." She walks over to Mary through the one-way force field, and hugs her. "And you are an example of what could happen to me... for both our sakes I promise to save you."

Mary for the first time... feels remorse... in a long time. She buries her head in Sakurako's chest and cries.

A minute later Sakurako's comlink goes off. Sarah was erupting.

"Sorry, Sarah is about to go off, and I gotta make sure my equipment monitors it. I gotta make sure everything goes smoothly."

Mary nods and Sakurako runs off to Sarah.

Sara'h glowing was full body now and then there was a snap of reality that tossed the Professor back. Luckily the impact plates on the walls activated and she hit nothing but a gel-bag.

Sarah stumbled to her feet, her eyes aglow. "My... Head"

"You indeed erupted... welcome to a much larger world."

She faints in Sakurako's arms, and she takes the arm over her shoulder of her knocked out ward and takes her back to her room, tucking her in.

It reminded her a lot of her eruption.

She makes her way back to the brig, but slowly in case Mech and Mary have a conversation.

"It was... like this earth... but two great factions were squaring off against themselves."

"First there was Aeon. Emboldened by the eruptions of people after WWII, they amassed as many Novas as possible They knew he nuclear bomb would be a threat to humankind, and needed to prepare a counter."

"The other was the Terats, who sought "Transhumanism". They wanted nothing but to ascend into living gods."

"I was an Aeon brat. She... never told you what she was?"

Mech quirked an eyebrow.

"She was part of a group in Japan that was becoming a equal to Aeon. And Aeon didn't like that... but then the Hive came..."

Mary gets a 10-yard stare going.

"And the factions couldn't pull together fast enough to face the real threat." He shook his head. "I'm sorry to make you relive such a painful memory. "I've not asked much after the Professor's past, she's not been inclined to tell, nor has time been on our side."

"Why do you fight her so vehemently? "

He looked at her with an innocent smile, that of a young man seeking to know.

Mary sighed. "They did, but the Hive had the jump on us from the get-go."

Him asking why she hated her was a hot button. "I went out there to get help... other universes, other people, form an army and bring them back to our universe to fight them off! All that device did was make me see what Sakurako is... a coward."

She stands up and walks to the edge of the field. A snarl on her face. "I spent 5 long years trying to save our universe... and Sakurako abandoned ship instead of going down with it!"

He nodded. "She preserved all the knowledge of your people, so that some legacy could live on."

"I can't speak for her motivations, I don't know, but there's not a day she doesn't think about preventing such a thing from happening to another world." You could help her with that. Or even if you wish, you're capable enough to lead an effort on your own, even now."

"It's a matter of whether you want to, now."

As Mary thinks, Sakurako walks back in. She heard Mary's comment and walks to the field, holding Mary's CTT device. She promptly breaks it with her Ionic.

"This thing was meant for a single jump. Your mission was to find a stable, habitable universe. I don't know what sort of brain damage you suffered when you used it on that first jump but it caused an aberration. I checked your quantum signature... you're only a Stage 0 Quantum Retention disorder sufferer. I don't know why... but this device was sabotaged."

Mary's snarl turns to rage. "WHAT? I was BETRAYED?"

Her eyes water... "Why... Why Sakurako... who would do this?"

"Someone on the inside... you had a lot of enemies you made in the Teragen. Someone... must have not been able to resist their base impulses."

Mary collapses to her knees.

"The Aberration you have is not naturally occurring It's more of a injury that has not healed. But it's manifested itself as brain damage. If I can figure out a way to get your Taint to nothing, it might heal on it's own.I still have your genetic code on record, I may be able to create a retrovirus that can repair you, but first we need to cure you."

"I swear, I will help you. You just have to trust me." Sakurako says that last sentence with emphasis.

Mary thinks... "Alright... You will need all the help you can get."

"Unfortunately, you are a wanted criminal in this universe. Also due to some of your... propensities, Any other universe we go to you might escape. We cannot completely trust you as long as that glitch is in your brain."

"You will stay on the ship until we feel it is in everyone's best interest to let you out. Do you understand?"

Mary nods. "Also if we do go outside, it will be under Mech's supervision. I know he will use his best discretion."

She adjusts her blazer and starts to walk out, turning off the security field. "Turn right, go to the intersection, then left, your quarters are on the left hand side, second door."

"They... used to be Shadow's... but she left. Might be some sheded fur on the bed."

Mary walks out and follows Sakurako's directions.

"Chris... come with me..."

"She's resting comfortably in her room. Tomorrow we should see what she can do once her internal energy sorts out. Seems Nova powers are far more... intensive on their expression than a Psiad's."

She adjusts her blazer as she invites Mech to her quarters. It looked more like a stateroom than a bedroom, and it looked like it was a library and lab that some desperate technician set up as her residence. Books and tools everywhere. At least she had room for a 4-post bed.

"Sit down... I'll make us some tea."

Sakurako starts brewing her tea.

"Not off hand... other than having an open mind and a willing ear."

"The Headmist.... Mary... Is broken. It's going to take a lot to put her back together. I hope you don't mind the burden of holding her leash until I can repare the damage done to her."

She sighs. "I still, personally, cannot accept her as an ally or even as a passenger on this ship without the limits you have placed on her."

"To be honest... having you here... is both comforting and intimidating."

She clears her throat. "How... how did you get so powerful yet... avoid Quantum Retention Disorder's more vicious effects?"

He nodded. "I think she can be salvaged, and saved. One day she'll make a potent ally."

he considered her statment and took her hand in his in a ccalming reassuring gesture. "I'm this way because I was born like this. It's why I feel so different than other novas we've met."

"I've never sent anyone away... they left on their own accord. I... couldn't send you away."

She places her hand on his. "You've lost as much as I, but I can help you get back what you've lost... Perhaps we need to travel elsewhere for a while... hopefully a place not dangerous."

She adjusts herself in her seat as the kettle whistles. "Well, the water is ready. Prefer Earl Grey, Green, or Oolong?"

She walks over to the stove scratching her head. "I prefer Earl Grey honestly."

the Professor starts brewing the Earl Grey.

"Now, One thing that has to be asked... is where do we want to go. There are so many worlds out there to choose from."

"After our last two Jumps... This world feels small again..."

She sighs, feeling wanderlust. "I may have to consult the Section T files and see what other hoppers have reported. Perhaps there is something interesting in their archives for a vacation. We all need it."

"That and Sarah needs a place to start discovering what she can do, and Mary... we have to start testing her. Getting her in the right direction will take cultivation. We have to put her unique abilities to use. Unfortunately she doesn't have anything practically... She's starting from scratch."

he smiled. "Is that all you really think about Professor, how best to take care of Sarah, and how to use someone who could be an ally?"

"Mary will manage with us there. I'm not planning on testing her. I want her to want this, or else there is simply no point."

The Professor nods. "I think... that is my flaw... caring about everyone else before myself."

She sighs. "Including you."

She brings the tea to the table. "You know... Actually Jane told me of a place she likes visiting. It's quiet, serene... no people. I don't think there should be any trouble there. Unless we make some. Nice beaches and nicer scenery. The stonehenge gate though is somehow there... I don't know how but it is."

She takes a sip. "Finally we can enjoy some time at the beach... alone and with only the birds in the sky."

The Professor and Chris share their tea, a simulated window shines the light of of the mid-morning sun rising over Rio. And for once, The Professor feels like Sakurako again. "Just on this trip... Call me Sakurako."

Chris nods as he takes his sip. "Sure."

-FIN

The Professor will return soon!

Archived