Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] NHC - New Hope City [Dawn OOC AST] [FIN]

Mary stretches out after finishing the last of her meal.

"Well, I hate to say it, but I think we're getting close to packing it up. So who is staying, and who is taking the last boat to Earth?"

She scratches her head. "Maybe Kamiko wouldn't mind taking me back to Minneapolis and landing on the Mississippi. I could swim it."

That she had no doubt of, but she still had that lingering discomfort. That plaguing doubt.

"I'm just not sure what Dan has planned." She says as she takes her hand and places it over his, and holds it with her other free hand.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The only thing I have noted flying over the islands is that two of them possess hot springs, and I do mean hot. If that suits you then I can include that on the maps, other than that I can't tell you much, islands and beaches have never been my thing. As to the whale bit you should really ask Star, I have had nothing to do with them to date." Murat pauses and looks to Star, "Are they really fungi? How would mobile fungus function, and what would that do to the taste and texture? I have avoided hunting anything until someone suited did an ecological survey and assessment, but I have been sorely tempted to try the whale."

"They aren't really fungi. They aren't exactly animals either, at least on the cellular level. They have some sort of large spore ... its actually the crispy little popcorn chicken like dish over there. Don't worry though, safe to eat. I say spore because it most resembles a fungal spore rather than any sort of egg. They fire millions of them into the sea floor when they are ready to reproduce ... if the environment isn't right they don't get the nutrients to grow up and get eaten. They might be something like the first order of life that arose on earth before that all got wiped out by too much oxygen - but obviously, these creatures have an oxygen metabolism. We can learn plenty of new things from exobiology."

"As I understand the whale itself is actually pretty hard to process into food. Some tissues make decent sushi but lots of it has to be heavily modified before its palatable. Its an edible species, from the perspective of terran biology ... but without preparation all but those few parts and the spores are not tasty at all. I guess the same thing is true of olives though, or cashew nuts."

Mary sighs. It was a situation that was... inevitable, but she is sure if Kamiko was here there would have been a pretty big lecture.

"As someone just visiting, I don't know the different edible animals here. Just surprised how fast we are going to hunting the native wildlife here. It is what it is though. It would happen sooner or later. A stranded exploration team, someone marooned in the ocean, etcetra..."

She pat's Dan's hand, looking to him. "But this is a fun trip none the less."

"Hunting and harvesting are not just inevitable but also required. As this and other colonies grow we will outpace, if mankind has not already, Earth's ability to feed us. We must look to here for foodstuff and sustenance, even if we are not now needing them, for we will need them. That much is certain."

"That said I have not hunted because I wanted to better understand the ecosystem and not destabilize it with unplanned actions." Murat brightens slightly, "I only asked about the whales because I have a fondness for mushrooms. The idea of a mushroom-stake instead of a steak with mushroom was interesting to say the least."

*Sarah Hawkins*

Sarah chuckled at Dan, smiling a charming, completely, well almost completely, honest smile of good wishes for the remainder of his evening with the other Elite. There was no jealousy in her eyes, merely a desire he and his daughters do what they needed to be happy, just as she was going to. And then she'd be back. That was clear enough, too, obvious in the affectionate way she looked down at a munching Sonja between paying attention to the chatter.

She was content, words a laugh in and of themselves, "Sounds like I'll need to get some alone time with you, Mr. Murat. Plan out my days here in more detail than common courtesy allows during a meal."

Sonja looked up at her and not quite smiled. She was leaving them after all, even if only for a little while. She had promised she'd come back.

Dan nodded and continued eating. What surpriised him was the flash of jealousy from himself. He'd let her past all his defenses, because in many ways she was Sarah, forgetting that she wasn't his sarah.

Mary sensed Dan's jealousy... after all she had felt it herself a few times and to see Dan momentarily tense at Not Quite Sarah's passes to Murat was a tell she could pick up on easily. Only Jealousy could crack the cover that Dan used to protect his otherwise shielded emotions. She held his hand and looked to him with quiet confidence. Not needing to say a word to tell him she was there.

The evening wound down, and people broke away to either explore the city or get back to Earth. Star showed Sarah to the main GNS offices where she could stay in one of the small guest suites if she wanted somewhere besides the wilderness. Star also registered her for a GNS employee credit account that would work to requisition any minor survival equipment or give access to the company cafeteria ... in case the hunting was less than appetizing.

All in all, a good night ... though it seemed there was nothing Star could do to improve Kamiko's mood some days. Truly puzzling.

Archived