Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] NHC - New Hope City [Dawn OOC AST] [FIN]

Mary has her Sake in hand as she looks to Dan.

"You guys are just too sentimental yet... perhaps that is a human trait we should be proud to share."

"To friends long gone, indeed. For Two-Hands, Kyoko, Cade..."

She turns to Sarah, and restrains her next part of her sentence. "...and to our future." She smiles looking on Sonja and the other second generation novas in the room.

"Maybe we can have peace in our time."

"Cheers!" She takes a sip of her sake, being the last to offer her toast.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Peace in our time, here, here!" Said Star, going to get more of the alien sushi and a glass of something made with Blue Curacao liquere.

This was good, and she'd learned to drink it at Exalt! ... and it was, blue. Very strong orange and spicy. She'd also been working out how to make this stuff synthetically, as the active ingredients in the peel of the laraha citrus were simple oragnics. The kind of people coming out here, they would apreciate readily available tasty drinks ... and it tasted stronger than it actually was in terms of alcohol.

As everyone chatted, she just sat back. They were safe, right now, this was relaxation. She had decided not to reveal the Nebula class vessel just yet. It still had a shakedown cruise ahead. Dan had, of course, checked her out and handled the security on sourcing ... along with the fact that all of the components that she didn't make by hand had come from Ichiro's various companies. Alex had been a huge help, as had her own new-found intellect. As soon as she gave Murat his captain bars, his formal comission, she'd take him on a tour. For now, though ... mmmmm ... great tempura.

Kamiko had her sake. She now had her own ship... damn she was gonna need a crew at some point.

"Meh, time to actually let my hair down." She thought as she took her sip and smiled. She was happy to actually be there. On the world she helped in discovering but... it seemed now that she had a ship why would she stop at one? She could do what she wanted with the Hikari Maru... Everything she needed to do.

The docking system on the original HM was based off of the standards stated by the ESA, NASA, JAXA, and the Russians... luckily the Bibliotheca has those too... Kyoko was pretty foreward-thinking about the potential spacecraft that could come to the station at some point.

She adjusts her uniform. "So everyone... How do you like New Hope so far?"

She smiled, probably for the first time in a little while. At least since the Sudan mission with Coraline. "Perhaps sometime soon we should take one of the ships I brought and do some research of the Fungal Whales that make their home here. That and it would be a good excuse to enjoy the sea, the sun... I've never been under a blue-sequence star before."

The concept of going for a ocean trip on a boat around creatures that may react with hostility is... a little disturbing. The stories of whales that could sink a boat by ramming them is a cause for concern, even more so the fact the boats Kamiko brought are only a few meters wide. Although she is happy there were liferafts aboard, Kamiko was always good about that.

"Well... I'd... I'd better stay on deck during the trip..."

Yeah... all the old hides don't work anymore. Dan was already on to her.

She scratches her head as she has her Sake. It doesn't seem so... fun drinking it after her eruption a couple decades ago, but it still tastes good.

"I don't think I get enough sun. No matter which sun it is."

"So far I am enjoying life here. There is a far more relaxed, yet energetic, atmosphere here in town than I remember finding anywhere I lived before. Everyone stays busy here but for the most part it never feels stressed. The city is really starting to shape up as well. I look forward to seeing it expand along the lines laid out so far. The skyline here should be inspired one day."

"I doubt I would be much use inspecting whales, they most likely don't form up on command, but if you haven't seen the sunset on the water here that alone is reason enough to go out. We get a bit more radiation here so you will tan faster if that is what you are going for.”

“But that is for another time, tonight is already too late to do it properly and I do not believe the Admiral is yet finished.”

"Well not too fast, Murat. UV radiation from the local star is higher, but the Ozone Layer is a good counter although it has been advised that any baselines on the planet either keep covered or wear sunscreen proper for the UV levels."

She adjusts her glasses. "Maybe we should look into a bit of a terraforming effort to increase Ozone levels on this planet's Ozone layer to help shield the planet better."

She smiles. "Still a beautiful sky."

"Those of us who still do Tan, at any rate." Dan mused. "Kamiko, one thing at a time. Terraforming is no simple endeavor, and while in the long run it certainly might be something to do, right now, I say we see how this world handles what we've done so far. "Take small steps at the beginning, and lay a strong foundation for the journey to come."

"Sorry... I'm apt to occasionally putting the cart before the horse. In particular when I over-think a simple solution. I did keep the UV situation in mind for the school uniform patterns I brought along with the school supplies I brought with me on the McAuliffe. As well as the initial construction materials for the school and library. Picked the fabrics myself for the climate here."

She sat down, smiling. "I hope what I brought was a good start. Feel free to send ships back and forth via warps to Tokyo and I can send more supplies."

"I will be setting up residence in Tokyo. I sort of need to set up somewhere in Japan since my Nippontai duties require me to be a resident there. Although I will be of course using warps to check on other things."

"They already said setting up a residence in Tokyo was acceptible. Denshi, Naginata, and Doryoku have all sponsored me in getting a penthouse condo in the Jinbocho district of Tokyo. Of course I changed their minds and instead I own a old office building that was last owned by a good friend. A bookstore owner who was murdered a few months ago by a drugged up gang enforcer."

"The grandson who owned the place has decided to sell off the property to me, I just need Dad to sign off on it as my Guardian."

"That is acceptable, isn't it, Dad?"

"Cool. Then after I get things squared away a housewarming party is in order. Just keep in mind I may be called on at any moment. Of course being third string support for the moment will allow me some free time."

She looks to Murat and everyone else. In fact Murat himself seemed... rather handsome. She blushes and can barely contain a giggle.

"There is always time, friends. We must make it first."

Kamiko's comment had reminded Darrik about the hidden estate that was just about built a far distance away from the city. Ever since knowledge of Puck's sizable brood had become more known to Exalt! Darrik had foreseen a great deal of trouble ahead. With Star's assistance, the two had stockpiled a great deal of resources and privately built the self-sufficient yet spacious mansion in the wilderness of New Hope. The purpose was simple, to provide a hidey-hole for Exalt mothers by Puck, his children and other second generation friends who needed shelter for a while.

Given what had happened to Sakura in the past two days, the sword of Damocles looked more and more likely to crash down, and the distance to New Hope plus isolation was their estate's shield.

After a little more banter, and then a lul Star decided it was time for her second major announcement of the night.

Again, she stood up and clinked her drink - this time the Blue Curacao blended with some sort of local sweet root. Also very nice, and she was beginning to suspect that another of her may have been experimenting with cocktails here earlier. With the longer update cycle of sixteen day alternate selves new communication routines were still being worked out. After pausing another brief moment to appreciate how that root tasted very good, she continued

"Tonight, I have all sorts of good news. As all of you know, we've had many new arrivals at GNS ... new hires are coming in every day. Very few of them, however, bring the experience and share our vision quite like Murat. When I read his application over, and did a quick search his years on record and background looked promising. His intake sheet had just the numbers I had been looking for ... another warper who I could split the real long hauls with."

"It only took a few hours and a chance meeting with Mr. Hawkins to get our friend here straight to work ... and he has been hard at work since then. Over many meals in the mess everyone including me has come to know him, our new Captain and head of Extra-Solar Development!" Star said, smiling and holding up a set of captains bars - epaulets, pins, and cuf-links.

Everyone broke out in applause and Murat came over to receive them, a rare smile just visible across his face.

Star added "Keep up the good work, Captain." and gave him a formal salute.

Murat snaps to attention and returns the salute, then turns to face the others as Star pins on his rank. Afterward he bows his head to the room before speaking.

“Thank you Admiral. I am honored you have decided to accept me into the Galactic Navigation Service. I am even more honored that you trusting me with the responsibilities here at New Hope and with the rest of Extra-Solar Development. I never expected to see new worlds in my life time. To then have the honor of overseeing the first steps of their colonization is monumental. I will always be grateful for the trust you have so far shown me. To settle a new world is a staggering achievement even in the nova age. But this is only the first in what I hope will be many such achievements to come. Thank you Dan for supporting me as I begin my work here. Thank you Star for trusting me with this. I will strive to never fail in the trust you have all placed in me. Thank you again.”

He then moves to the table and raises his glass in toast. “To the people that made today possible and the future we are attempting to build.”

Kamiko offers a hand for a handshake to Murat. "From one Captain to another... Congratulations."

She smiles. She has a ship, Star's filling out her crews, and to be honest... she looks forward to some stability in her life. It would be nice to see her dear Jinbocho again.

Kyoko and Cade would be proud. Because Dan is...

*Sarah Hawkins*

The blonde sizeshifter held herself out of the conversation as official congratulations flowed around the table, sipping her drink, which turned out to be some kind of champaign, and nibbling her samples of sushi for taste. Oooooh. That was good. Add a little sause... That green and pink stuff... She chewed and swallowed each bite as an expensive delicasy, savoring them as much as she politely could in such formal company.

"I don't suppose I could spent a few days here taking in the sights here and thinking, Miss Starseed? As wonderful a host as Dan and his family are, I could use a little time to be on my own, and if you're keeping this planet safe as you seem to be trying..," Sarah's smile turned fragile and a touch tired as she finished her request.

Star smiled "You are always welcome Sarah. There are no land animals here, and precious few people so it can be very quiet out there. Some beautiful sites to be sure. I would love it if I could show you some hospitality, even if its just a picnic or two. Of course, there are places to stay or camping gear if you want to get closer to nature."

"Fortunately, we haven't had to think much about law and order just yet. Murat, Dan and I have been keeping an eye on things personally and working with the legal volunteers we're slowly hammering out a set of enforcement powers for people who aren't me or acting on my authority. My post in the Congolese government makes some necessary things possible right now, but the paperwork is in progress for GNS to qualify as proper law enforcement anywhere off world. Just please, don't get involved with any of the US expedition teams ... they are nice people but elements of their government are making trouble every step of the way. Heh, not that they have any say ... and I think that is what really bothers a few of their officials."

"Surprisingly ... Project Utopia seems to be on our side out here. They have a long range warper, a fellow who goes by the name of Chromium. He's sort of like ... the Silver surfer from old comics without the surf board and not quite all metal. They've been very cooperative, and more than playing by the rules out here they are making some very helpful contributions. Of course, we've been watching them very closely. That organization is still rotten at the core, despite being full of well intentioned and innocent people."

Mary nods.

"Well my time with Kamiko is coming to a close right now... my bodyguard contract expired the minute Kou signed Kamiko... err... Heiwa's approval papers. I have to consider my options right now, and this place proves promising. But I gotta keep my ears to the ground... as they are... on stuff Earth-side about certain things."

She sips her Sake and looks to Kamiko. "I've seen a lot over the past Month than I have over my twenty odd years as a Nova. A lot has changed with me."

She has a laugh thinking of the past. "Wouldn't have traded it for anything. But I'm not cut out for this space stuff. My home is Earth for now... watching the shadows and standing for something better."

Kamiko holds up her hand. "Ah, not so fast, Mary... I am considering positions on my ship, and the First officer, Navigator, Chief Engineer, Chief of Security, and Communications officer positions are all up for grabs for expeditions."

"I'm not sure about First Officer, I was considering the two Stars for the Navigator position, but I need someone that can be a trusted advisor as my Number One... someone who would be an incredible command asset on the ground for expedition teams."

"Mary... wish to help?"

"I have to think of the offer, Kamiko... I'm sure you got a lot on your plate and your little "wagon train to the stars" will have to wait. Hell I just got back in touch with Dan in like... a year. Focus on the immediate things so you don't half-ass this." Mary says, somewhat in a cautionary mode, and somewhat in a tone of frustration.

"You can afford right now to make the occasional survey a hobby."

Kamiko smiles. "Of course."

"Once this party is complete. I think I will simply return to Earth and look over things in regards to my new residence and start my duties for Nippontai. My exploratory missions I actually want to keep clandestine. I actually intend to use the Hikari Maru partially to assist in relief efforts, and also to provide orbital support for LEO and HEO missions. I hear the International Space Station needs a refit, and with the Space Shuttle retired and all that is currently available are standard rockets, I can provide a better service for JAXA under the Nippontai banner."

"Well, outside of my terrestrial duties as their chief negotiator."

"My first training session will be the first couple weeks of August with a day off for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki rememberances. The training will entail handling hostage situations and crisis intervention negotiations. Something I think I have a blind-spot in."

"But... let's finish our reverie here. It is a long road for all of us and I would love to say I like where we are going. We just need to keep that pace."

"Mind if I hitch a ride back to Earth then I can make my way back to Minneapolis?"

Kamiko nods.

"Good. We can start from there."

Mary goes back to her meal and drink. Quietly observing everyone. In particular Dan and Sarah.

"Unless Dan has plans I should be filled in on. My calendar is pretty much free."

*Sarah Hawkins*

"Thank you, Miss Starseed. I'll be sure to not be a burden, aside from asking Miss Kamiko to make an extra run for my belongings and then back here. Don't want to go hiking through the wilderness in this dress," Sarah commented when there was a lull in the conversation before giving Dan a grateful nod and a look that could be called affectionate to Sonja, "But I'll be sure to ask for a ride back soon as I get my head straightened out. Everyone I've met so far has been nothing but helpful so far, something my reading says is anything but normal when a strange Nova appears from nowhere in the middle of downtown Tokyo. That's a promise. I won't help myself by hiding."

Dan didn't say anything, but Sonja reached out and squeezed Sarah's hand "..will hold you to that." her tiny voice whipsered. Dan sighed, he'd asked her not to put pressure on her. He looked to Sarah and nodded. "You'll always have a home in Japan. Come back when you're ready."

He smiled and looked to Mary and smiled. "No plans on my end."

Kamiko Nods.

"Not a problem. 187 light years is nothing to me. Well unless it's a bad day. I still got some practice to go through before I am on Star's level."

She brushes off her outfit and stands up.

"I should be getting the Kyoko ready then. Our destination is Tokyo Bay, Just let me know when you need a ride back."

Kamiko gets up, and considers where she was. "Well, once we can take our leave."

She bows. "Thank you for the dinner and party, Starseed. And the Ship. There are great things ahead."

*Sarah Hawkins*

That exchange prompted the merest of narrowed gazes, the slightest hint of hurt, from Sarah, gone almost before it arrived, but present none the less, reminding the blonde sizeshifter *why* she needed time away from Dan's home. He was not her husband. She was not his wife. No matter how close the echoes were and how easy it was to forget that, she had no claim on him. But she didn't trust her voice to hold quite the same stoicism as she hoped her expression might have.

"For you, it will be especially easy for me to remember. You're a good girl, Sonja," Sarah answered to the child squeezing her hand and squeezing right back, a heartbeat's flicker gaze telling Dan she didn't mind the pressure at all. Sonja was not her Joy, not by far, but a living child who acted so much like a child was so nostaligic that she didn't mind one bit.

Kamiko nods.

"This has been a bit of a shock for you, but being here... I think you will do great. You'll always have a place where I live."

She smiles and even giggles a little.

When she looks over to Shadowheart and Starseed, she nods. "May I be excused so I can prepare for departure? I've got a long day ahead of me Tomorrow and I have to get prepared."

She turns to Murat. "Don't be a stranger, Captain. It might be fun here, but Earth... still has a few miles on her left."

"Sarah, You just be careful while you are here, okay? Let Star know and you'll be on the first warp back."

Mary sighs, feeling guilty that possibly her argument with her earlier might have caused her to want to stay on New Hope.

"I'll be with you, Kamiko when Dan and Sonja are ready to leave. I'm not quite done with my tempura and stuff."

Kamiko nods and waits by the elevator.

Dan nodded imperceptibly to Sarah. An explanation would be in order he figured. Of course she seemed not to mind Sonja's attention, but still he didn't want her to feel obligated. He nodded to his elder daughter. "I'll come by before tomorrow Kamiko, I'd like to discuss some things with yo." He was in no way ready to leave yet, and the way he'd not stood up made that plain.

"Oh of course, I will always make time for you, that I promise." Kamiko says, nodding.

Kamiko knew this was a big change. A huge one in fact. Dan was going to test her to see if she was in fact ready more than likely.

"I'm honestly not being rude, just that my part of shuttling people around... sometimes takes more prep-work than Star."

Also she had monopolized Mary's time. It would be healthy to leave her be. She's done enough for Kamiko already.

One of Darrik's assistants point Kamiko to the elevator reminding her to take a look on the camera before exiting the elevator up top.

(I'm taking Kamiko off camera unless people come up-top.)

Murat sits back, listening to the back and forth and enjoying his meal. He leans forward looking toward Sarah after her comments about staying on New Hope.

“I can provide you with transport Sarah. I travel between here and Earth on a reasonably regular basis these days, so whenever you decide to leave it should be simple to use the next transit I have scheduled for passage back. “

“Also if you are interested I have some maps you can review of the area around here. I have always enjoyed flying so I have flown around quite a bit and noted some of the more interesting places I have seen. Unfortunately true satellite mapping is a fairly low priority at this point so there is not much better around yet.”

*Sarah Hawkins*

"Thank you, Mr. Murat. I'm sure the map will be more than adequite. I've gotten by on less in terms of accurate maps and found my way home again," Sarah answered with a grateful nod of her head as the party started to unwind by inches, considering plucking up a second round of morsels. Hmmm, she had almost forgotten what some of this tasted like, much as the alcohol was as ineffective as usual.

"Anything I should be particularly careful about that you've discovered already?"

Mary listens to the conversation, taking mental notes of what is said between Murat and Sarah. If she is going to be visiting here she'd better aquatint herself with the threats of the area. But, she's a Earth-lubber like the prodigy librarian that just went up-top. But she didn't mind... it lets the adult majority have their fun.

She looks to Dan, after finishing off some Sushi and smiles.

She loves being around him. The quiet confidence, the calm, but when needed he was quick and precice. She remembered her scar, she recieved the same treatment, but unlike the ultra-schoolgirl, she stuck to. She chose the warrior's path.

But now... it seems she didn't choose that path. Because her urges were to protect.

Speaking to Sarah "I think you are fairly safe. The biggest danger here is now ... well ... people from Terra. Much as we try to screen everyone, these are often rough people coming out. Looks like you can handle yourself in that regard though."

"Foods though, I wouldn't risk eating anything except those items on the lists we've compiled. I'll get you a guide, such as it is, in hardcopy. You can get a good source of carbohydrate from some of the larger fern-trees, but only from the core of the trunk. Some of the lichens have, tiny little clusters of what look like berries ... those are quite toxic. As a nova you'd shake it off, but it probably would make for an unpleasant case of indigestion or the need for a latrine."

"There is actually plenty of food potential here, but most of it needs at least cooking or roasting. Fortunately, the microbial life here is not at all compatible with our biology. We've identified some fungal like infections that could possibly arise, but the treatments are easy. Pharmaceuticals and bio-nano can easily target the native biologicals without touching our variety of life. Turns out that those NASA exobiologists know a thing or two ... they made the call early on that very little cross-contagion would happen. Food is easier to get because you can heat during cooking and you mostly get much simpler compounds."

"The area I noted up north appears mostly marshy. I have not walked around in it so I am not positive but it would seem to be fairly unsafe to walk through with a strong posibility of sinking pits and bogs. It looks nice at first but as you move further in is saturates and stagnates. There is a a nice set of rolling hills on the other side of it though so skirting the marshy areas and heading for it could be worthwhile."

Now the mountains East of here are a good bet for hiking. If you are willing to do some serious climbing you can reach up near the top and find a nice mountain lake. The view from there is one of my favorites, especially the sunrises. It would mostly depend on personal preference. I mostly like early morning flights so I just stop at something that looks interesting from above. Just let me know what you are looking for when you pick the maps up."

"I'll take a rough map of the islands, too, if you have them. I might go for a swim while I'm at it. Unless, of course, the fungus whales seem to be carnivorous," Sarah volunteered with an honest smile. It may not have been as effortless as her cross country runs, but her transocean swims had one of her favorite things, losing herself in sheer physicality with the promise of of her Husband and Daughter meeting her on the other side with a picnic ready for all of them before they went to help the next Enclave. Simple pleasures amid the horrors.

Yes, she was looking forward to this sabatical the more and more as she thought about it, settling into her seat with a contented smile. Clear her head. Take her own advise and find out where she was so she could find out where she was going.

Archived