Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - Chapter 1: Back to School

Justin OOC

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sachiko's mouth dropped open in outrage. "Pay? This juice was a gift! You're the kind of person who would give a gift freely, then demand payment?! That's entrapment! That's extortion! Police!"

She looked around, but spotted no handy peacekeeper nearby.

"We'll settle this with a contest," Sachi decided, nodding.

For a moment, Galiana just stared, her face half-obscured behind her hair. After a moment, she understood that the girl wasn’t going to speak first. Ryu had made it easy; this one wouldn’t. Gali licked her lips and said, “I’m Galiana. Who are you?”

With startling precision Kaori lunged out and with her chopsticks and caught the only leaf that would have fallen into and profaned her lunch. She placed it gently onto the grass beside her, like she was helping it on its way home. Casually she proceeded to pluck the few pieces of bark and leaves from her hair, but for the most part there wasn't many. When she finished she looked to Gali, her expression remained completely neutral and devoid emotion. "It is a pleasure to meet you." If it was indeed a 'pleasure' it sure didn't register in her expression. "You are the one who takes no delight in social endeavors. I could tell when you were asked to introduce yourself before the class, you seemed afraid. The courage you've displayed in introducing yourself to me does you much credit, you are well on your way to mastering that which holds you back. Each time we face our fears, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing. Formally, I am Ayoyama Kaori but you do not strike me as one for formalities so I shan't take any offense to you addressing me by my first name, Kaori."

Daintily she lifted a small saucer of sushi level with her chest and popped a piece into her mouth with her chopsticks and there was an awkward silence during her 40 precise chews. "I am curious, Galiana, why were in the tree?"

Anne immediately gets up and glares at Sachiko. "You are going to realize that life is not fair, You can't just expect people to make and agreement and when you welch on it to let it slide. The wolrd of adults isn't fair. Particularly to those that don't keep their agreements square."

"You have no ethics, Sachiko, and the world will roll you sooner or later."

She packs up her things and storms off.

"What agreement?" Sachiko asks, for a moment honestly befuddled. Then she shrugged and said, "Guess that means I win the contest by default. Heh, looks like she knows she's far too early to accept MY challenge."

She looks off after Anne and adds, "She does need to learn to be a better loser though. No sportsmanship."

Anne stops in her tracks, seeing no one was about or paying attention... there was the thought of showing her what she did in her spare time with the bracelets... and god they were warm right now... but to be honest that is not what they were meant for.

Then there was the ability to fly... what the first born daughters of the family were "cursed" to have in earlier times, but it was forgotten. The last few generations of Aceworth daughters considered it a gift... although such a thing was... still phantasmagoria unsettling to those not accustomed to the paranormal.

On the one hand... Sachiko just challeged her... openly... on the other, she could let it slide. After all if she came to blows and got expelled how will she explain it to her Father and to the media... on the other hand if she went back...

She storms back to Sachiko and gets so close to her that her chest bumps into her ample rack.

"I'm only going to say this once, Sachiko... you do not want to open this can of worms, miss. You are already treading on thin ice and trust me, I'm hearing some loud cracks. So if you don't want a cold bath in reality today, I suggest you apologize and move on."

Sachiko grinned, but oddly it wasn't in a nasty or even challenging sort of way. Just her usual friendly, slightly-too-wide grin.

"Hey now! Don't worry about things so much! You're so angry all the time, and it's going to increase your stress and make school hard for you. So, as a gesture of good will, I will annul the contest you forfeited and we'll call the whole thing even."

She patted Anne's shoulder with her left hand and offered her right for a congratulatory handshake...like a politician posing for a photo op.

Anne saw she was baited. But everyone saw the truth but the deluded bimbo standing in front of her. Then again, to drive the point home is to drive the point home.

"One, a contest is an agreed matter. Since you cannot be trusted to uphold an agreement I decided to leave... you cannot forfeit a match that has not even be agreed to. Second, get your hand off my shoulder. Third... a ambassador never gives up the homeland."

She simply backs off, and starts to walk away again. "You seem smarter than you behave, Sachiko... use your brains for something more than cushioning for your ears."

She turns her back and happily walks away.

"Yes, but you're trying to hold ME for something I never agreed to, so I figured that's just how things were with you," Sachiko commented with a shrug.

"Anyway, it was nice talking, ambassador. Maybe we can have that contest some other time. Oh!"

She grinned again.

"Thanks for the juice."

Amara's best poker face barely held as her Gaijin friend fell right into one of Sachiko's famed verbal sandtraps. Unlike Kaori, that girl would strike first. Not for spite, but for her own amusement if you didn't see it coming. She held her tongue through the exchange, finishing up her meal and stowing it away in her bag, resolving to comfort Anne later, mildly unfamilar how to do that though she was. Everyone went through it once or knew someone who had.

"Kuchiki-San, is there any Student Council business, I can help with?" she offered, aiming the conversation away from the previous topic.

• 2 weeks later...

"Mizuki-chan," Ayami sighed, the tone a familiar mix of gentle rebuke, mild exasperation, and a general plea for the other student to try to behave politely and no bait exchange students quite so much on their first day at the Academy. Asking her to apologize would only set off another round of indignation and protests - and usually an even worse week for whichever hapless student had fallen in Sachiko's sights. So, it was just the name and look that mixed sadness at the confrontation and a silent wish for the brash young woman to be just a bit more proper in the future.

She turned her attention Akemi-san and shook her head, "Not today, though on Wednesday the committee for the Keirō no Hi Festival will begin meeting, if you're interested. They'll be sending out invitations to all of the Academy's students elders and hosting arts booths, traditional food booths, and a performance hall for music and dancing." She smiled and it was like the sun breaking through the storm-clouds of the summoned by Sachiko and Anne. "It's a small committee this year, but with some extra help I'm sure it could be quite the festival for our elders."

The beaming grin Sachiko sent Ayami's way had an easily quantifiable percentage of regret or concern in it; zero. She didn't say anything though, and her attention quickly wandered as the other two started discussing boring things. A festival for people other than herself was of interest primarily for how such a thing might be hilariously disrupted, or perverted. There wasn't a committee for that...

...though that was an interesting idea...

Fortunately, perhaps, for the Keiro no Hi festival, a bug chose that moment to land on Sachiko's knee, and she hissed and swatted it off...losing that train of thought in a sudden burst of adrenalin and bug-fueled fight or flight instincts.

She got to her feet, dusting her knee off, and said, "I'll see you guys in class. Anyone doing anything this afternoon? If we get enough people together we could play some ball." By 'ball' she meant baseball or softball...it was fairly common knowedge that she was good at them, though she hadn't gone out for an official school team since middle school. Rumor was that she'd been thrown off of a team for acting out so much.

Kohaku was looking around. His mind for a second, thought that he saw someone familar Someone he knew he should not have seen. Then again it wouldn't have been the first time. Still the person stir something in him. A feeling he didn't like so he just shrugged it off and look around to see what he could do now or who he could talk to. He wonders if he can't find anyone interested in the paranormal club. It been awhile since anyone gotten new members in, and there was no banners and such for it. It was more or less word of mouth. So he tried to do a little recruiting.

Lunch ended, and the day wound down with the students continuing on as students do, the first day back after summer break being nothing new.

Clubs met, the Council had its meeting, and things went along their normal boring routine. Elsewhere, where shadows gathered, Eyes began to turn towards the north. The South was so saturated, surely the north was ready. Plans were made, and the shadows began to shift, subtley to the north.

(end thrread 5 cp)

Archived