Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 13: Against All Odds....

Justin OOC

Hideko looks she was gonna say something when the idea of girl time comes up, but decides to not to. Might as well face it, she's stuck this way for good.

"I'd like that, Rebecca. And thanks, I'll come along."

She looks a bit worried herself about what they might be up against.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Great. Just follow my lead, Hideko, and we'll make it through this."

She adjusts her flight suit a bit, changing it's fit and having it's memory polymers go through a precise fitting routine.

"These new Mark-XII suits just don't fit right on first donning. Too bad I can't wear my old suit."

She grabs her new helmet and puts it on. "And Hideko, if you aren't vacuum worthy I recommend you put my old flight suit on. It uses the same adaptive polymer fitting system as this suit, so you should be able to wear it. Unfortunately I made it to look like SeaTalon's previous armor config so it has a sailor collar and stuff... but... it'll keep you alive if we ever end up having to hop into the black."

She smiles. "I find regular flight suits much more flattering than some emergency vacuum suit any day."

Hours later, all the transfers were complete, and with the preparations made, Kai Francis, and Lily stood on the bridge of the Nadesico, Hideko and Rebecca on the Ark Royal, Sakura and Skye were aboard the Rasalhague, Shiyu and Gai were aboard the Macross quarter.

The gate was programmed and opened, and the fifteen starship fleet departed Dalaraan Space, leaving Ryoma and Ryoko on the Macross. "Godspeed, all of you. COme back safely."

With the fleet's emergence, they came into a dimension to be greeted by a world Francis knew well. Even with their shields up, they knew they were already being scanned, and multiple target acquisition alarms began to sound. "Francis, the stage is yours." Kai looked to him and stepped back allowing Francis to make the introductions.

Shiyu had been hard at work, drinking coffee and using the systems to optimize settings on several mecha, she was working on the Nadesco as her last project, it was vexing and she was pushing herself. Dark circles were around her beautiful eyes as she worked, "more coffee please.." she typed a few more equations in, "no damnit that's not it...not that either..." she pulled at her hair and stared over the read outs again.

Rebecca stood cross-armed in her cockpit, SeaTalon showed the same expression of frustration that was crossing her face.

"Dammit Jeremy get off your butt and tell them we're with you..." She mutters. "So many lock ons... If this wasn't a diplomatic mission I would be out there cleaning house."

Tactical Analysis indicates you versus their entire military force would be equivalent to self-termination.
"Probably... Definately. What about with our fleet?"
Odds are not favorable, I recommend retreat and change of tactics to a guerilla style war.
"Heh, you always loved that sort of combat... So do I." She stretches and SeaTalon follows suit. "I'd rather not have a fight break out though. the more allies... the better!" She pounds her fist into her hand. "Right... warm the zero-point system and power up. Ready yourself for emergency scramble on my mark."
Affirmative.

Francis nodded, and told the command staff the frequency channel to hail on. The world he'd known for so long glimmered in his view, and yet Earth Prime had made it lessened and stunted, not that the policies of Homeline hadn't done that to the industrialized- and clearly glowing city-scape world below. He stiffened into an alert pose, hands linked behind his back. "CTAA vessels, this is Epsilon 36273. Stand down, I repeat stand down, this is not a hostile incursion. I'm with them."

The screens sparked to life, and the image of a man in his thirties, uniformed and with hard scars and lines in his face stared back at Francis. Francis of course, quirked an humorless grin, recognizing the cold-blue eyed beret wearing officer immediately. "Captain Argyle. Should have expected you to be around here John-"

"Gold." Argyle was not so friendly, which was to be expected, but he seemed icier towards his old comrade. "Agent Gold. What the hell do you think you're doing? Your mere presence on those ships is---"

"Not an invasion." Francis snapped, losing his grin and glaring back. "Yes, I've bloody broken the rules. We're not in a position to banter about that. Or is the Homeline economy not tanking after the loss of Cathedral and Imago, among others?" The remark took the immediate anger out of Argyle's face, but Francis knew things had changed between them. Argyle was always such a stickler for the gag of silence.

"What do you want?" The CO of Omega Security Squad finally asked.

"Put me through to Command." Francis requested, more calmly and diplomatically now. "I want to talk to the Head Director." Argyle stared for a moment, then called something out to an off-screen individual. The image went to white for a moment, then it revealed a suited young-looking man with dark glasses and a skin tone and hair matching that of Kai's. His expression seemed speculative as he observed Francis standing with Kai and Lily. Those two he seemed to have a frank interest in.

"Can I help you, Agent Gold?" The Head Director would have been abreast of all this, and his appearance of leniency seemed more settling to Francis. And now the surprise was in, which brought a smile to his face. "Yes. I would like to make some introductions. From Earth Prime, Princess Aksaniolilly of the Dalaaran Empire, and Kai Morisato of Satoshi Heavy Industries, meet Head Director Hisagi Amaha of Homeline's Cross-Timeline Acquisition Authority. We have a proposition for you."

Kai looked at the man standing there, he could have passed for his father. "Head Director Amaha."

The other man looked at them. "So it is true then francis, you found a true honest to God direct descendant."

"He continued. "Kai, I welcome you here, and will transmit coordinates for geosynchronous orbit. Once there, I will come to you, to debrief You and the others personally on the situation."

He looked to Francis. "You will attend, and we can discuss your disposition as well."

The signal signed off after a string of coordinates. Kai looked to Francis. "You knew?"

"Hmm... the locks are starting to dissapear... I like that. Good work Francis..."

Rebecca sets the SeaTalon to warm standby.

So we are going to standby?
"I think I am going to be called upon by Kai, and I need transport... Keep on standby and I will have you as my personal shuttle.
Very well, I will await your return.

Rebecca steps out of the cockpit and activates coms to Kai and his ship. "Head Captain, Lieutenant Rathbone here... waiting for orders."

Francis shrugged, affecting an air of nonchalance. "Yes, I knew. For how long have I known? That, I don't plan on sharing. Regardless, I would have told you earlier, if it weren't for the fact that you'd go haring off full tilt without the fleet. Based on my recollections and what I've learned in Satoshi, the Head Director's certainly a branch family member. Enjoy meeting your clansman."

Lily glanced from Francis to Kai, then back. She had the vague sense of being the only one in the room who wasn't getting a joke's punchline, and it was kind of annoying.

"Is there something I'm missing?" she asked, "this is a parallel, isn't it? A diverged timeline? Why is it so strange to find another Amaha here? He could even be this world's equivalent of you, Kai...or who you might have been, if things had been different for you. Or am I getting this completely wrong?"

"Stand by Lieutentant, that goes for everyone."

He looked at Francis and Lily. "The Kage were extremely thourough, using magic to kill off everyone with Blood of Clan Amaha. Or so they thought. It was largely sucessful but there were backdoors into the ritual, and several lines survived, going their separate ways. It's all part of the massive memory dump I was given by Akina before we left. He's a real Amaha, though only a bloodtest can prove it."

Sakura had gone quiet sense she learned that her home dimension was locked.. of course, that could mean that they were already aware of what was happening and were acting on their own to fight the matter, after all, but it could also mean worse things. On the other hand, getting a large number of Asrai committed to saving and restoring the multiverse wasn't a bad thought either, but she couldn't help but wonder what was the source of the problem also, maybe it was best for the dimension to be locked..

She followed Kai quietly thoughtful as they shifted though the folds of time and space, to arrive at Francis home and she continued to be quiet and listen.

Rebecca nodded, and sat on the shoulder of her mecha waiting for scrambling orders.

"SeaTalon, switch to travel preparedness status."

Her mecha's eyes dimmed a little and took a more relaxed posture.

"Alright... the tone of his voice suggested shock, curiosity, and interest all at once... what is going on, Kai..." She whispered as she leaned against the cockpit access hatch. She relaxed and the back of her helmet contacted the armor around the cockpit access airlock.

"I hope everything is going well.. we need a victory, even a diplomatic one."

Francis looked at Kai for a minute, then burst out laughing. "Blood tests? BLOOD TESTS?" Finally he regained control and sighed, grinning like a madman. "Blood tests. That's right... they're still in use on Earth Prime. You know, maybe when this is all over- good over- I'll talk to Ruri about the efficient methods we used here."

Kai nodded. "We have other methods too, but some are even more invasive than that. They're infallible though. Much as I know the true name of the gun at your side, and her nature." he indicated Nagareboshi.

Soon afterwards, The Fleet took up the proscribed orbit, and a Shuttle came up to meet them. Argyle was there with half a dozen of his men. and of Course Director Amaha.

Kai had summoned the others, (The PC's) and had them brought to the ship for this talk. A meeting room had been prepared, and without much fanfare, Everyone took a seat. Director Amaha nodded. "First, i welcome all of you to this Dimension. We are not in the habit of allowing so many ships near our homeworld, but I'm making an exception here."

He sighed. You've come regarding the Peril currently befalling Reality itself. I've lost hundreds of agents, a larger number of ships than I'd like, all for fairly negligble gain. Thus far, there's been nothing that's been aable to stop the destruction of continuums.And we are still blind as to the cause. Many anomalies like the hundred year temporal dissociation with Ikaris are being reported. Some dimensions are totally isolated, Such as Aradia."

"And only a Skeleton Key, or a Precursor Gateway can access the Prime Dimension."

Rebecca stands and clasps her hands behind her back. She had flown over from the Ark Royal in the SeaTalon Valisone, and was still in her flight suit.

"There have been no distress calls? Any sort of leads as to the movement pattern or makeup of the force? Anything?"

Her look of concern only lead to the possibility that any sort of protectors on the fallen universes were taken out before any distress call could be sent.

"I find it... disheartening that their strikes are so decisive and violent as to prevent any warning."

"We may be thinking too conventionally," Lily said darkly. "No amount of military force as we know it can destroy universes. I can only think of one power that definitively can, and that power has no reason to do so. But, the -nature- of that power is something to consider."

"I think whatever's doing this isn't IN the universes it destroys. I think it's either in the Prime dimension, or maybe even Outside, in the absolute void between dimensions."

"The threat began on the far reaches of the Universe. Still since Cathedral is so far out, even for a prime world, it was among the first to fall. From there things cascaded, and have only recently slowed down as this threat draws near to the end. It's like it's building up strength to come after the hardened dimensions that remain, including this one and Prime."

Director Amaha nodded. "The only places to get them all are Prime or outside, and the tech does exist to go their Satoshi deploys the distortion field well."

Kai nodded. "Great strikdes have been made while you were gone Rebecca, takashi was the sort who looked to conquest..."

"Then I think I know how they do it."

She adjusts her data goggles on her head. "Each universe is like a bubble, suspended in it's own brane, if you are familiar with M-Theory. Now, since the tech is out there where a fleet can hide, all that needs to be done is set up near your target and pop the bubble. Everything inside would disintegrate and disappear instantly on the moment of cosmic collapse."

"Now I don't know how they do it... I don't think about developing universe popping weapons, but, this does provide a theory as to how it could be done in trans-universal void. Now as for Prime itself, these gates you mentioned may be the tool of our demise... all that has to happen is to have the weapon delivered and set off in the universe you wish to destroy. A U-Bomb."

She adjusts herself as she looks outside to space. "We need to eliminate that probability first. We need to go to Prime and make sure that isn't the source of our crisis, then find a way to navigate the void."

"If I were you, Director, I would place your defensive fleet around any dimensional gate and watch for ANY unauthorized traffic. Then shoot it down if it so much as pokes it's head out."

A quantum screen unfolded, Kai's request of their presence inside. "I suppose I better go and give some updates, I'll need to use the cloning pods again, being a bit more personal couldn't hurt." Shiyu stretched and dismissed the quantum screen, "I think I could use an old hologram technology so you can come too, just let me know what you think and I'll patch it up, won't take long." With that she made her way to the pods and set them up, ensuring she had some clothes for her smaller self set aside. Shiyu slid into the pod and let the sleep take her.

She awoke with the world bigger around her, somehow despite this change, she still did not feel any more vulnerable, or unprotected. Shiyu slipped out of the pod her alabaster skin gleaming slightly in the light as she slipped into a set of coveralls and a pair of flats. She had fashioned a smaller version of her wrist computer for these moments and snapped it on before making her way to the meeting. She sat quietly going over her data as the others spoke, listening in.

Shiyu took in their theories and spoke up, "while you have not thought about creating such devices, but I have, not that I'm proud of it, and I had developed the technology," she brought up some screens, "there are a few problems, obviously between dimensions is not exactly an easy staging ground, for anything, pure nothingness makes up those spaces, the concept of something being within that nothing seems to be a quantum law there." She took a sip of coffee breathing in its aroma, "now popping these bubbles, opening a gate between the nothingness and the universe, would bring that law of nothingness to that material universe, unmaking it in an instant." "Making these holes is not difficult, we do it all the time it turns out, any gate between universes opens a hole in both universes, but instead of there being access to the space in between, you just simultaneously exist in both universes during your travel, destabilizing the gateway in the right manner would indeed peril both universes, unless of course a way to seal the gate to the universe from which you are performing the act." "I never got to test this out, as the shielding technology to prevent collapse of the universe I was in, was not exactly sound, or something to risk, but, you could perhaps create your own bubble, mimicking the one that keeps the universes in tact." She sips her coffee again, "this is of course all theory, without evidence we don't exactly have a leg to stand on."

Kai looked at them. "The gates themselves can be those weapons. The Phase Transition cannon can collapse a reality by destroying it's center. With a Skeleton Key, the gates are powerful weapons in addition to transportation." He looked at them. "That's also the easiest way to get to every dimension, with a key."

The revelation made him sigh. "The easiest solution is often the correct one."

Rebecca sat down, and drums her fingers a few times before snapping her fingers.

"Do we know the order and timing when each universe dropped? If a weapon like this can be fired from a gate we can triangulate it's location in the continuum by looking at the pattern of universes dropped... You guys here have to have some sort of universal map here, right?"

"Once we know where the cannon is, we can deal with them directly. Problem is we open a gate to them, they might just fire and remove the only resistance organized enough to face them."

She turns to Kai. "As a Skeleton Key, Captain, are you able to open your own gates at a location away from an established gate?"

She strokes her chin. "The only other option is the D-Drive and the SeaTalon lost that... if I had one I would be able to channel the warp energy through my shield emmitters to create my own jumpgate that the fleet could go through. Unfortunately the D-Drive when I was testing it 20 years ago was highly unstable. Unpredictable. I really don't know if even if we had another small enough for the SeaTalon if such a feat would provide optimal results."

Lily took a seat as the ideas were discussed and just listened. The truth was that she was no great shakes at inter-dimensional theory, nor at the kind of technology or magic that would be required to breach such barriers or gates. She simply didn't have anything to add. The only thing of potential value she felt like she could say, she'd said. It was an oblique way of saying what she hadn't dared voice completely openly.

Tsunami could do this.

Of course, she didn't believe, or think, for an instant that Tsunami would do it. And she believed that if there was another entity that existed on the goddess' level, who started interfering with the existences of universes, Tsunami would rouse herself to stop it.

If she could. But that last fight took a lot out of her. And isn't it interesting that no sooner than she was weakened, this started happening? Almost like something was waiting for a chance to strike.

"I have a question," Lily said abruptly. "How do we know these universes are being destroyed? What if they're just being...cut off? Isolated? If something could seal off any and all methods of traveling out of a universe, we'd stop getting any information back from it. It would look to us like it stopped existing."

The director pulled up a four dimensional map map showing the web of realites, and set it in motion so they could see them wink out of existence.

He looked to Lily and smiled. "We know because their wave harmonic disappears completely. Even Aradia, which is completely sealed off still emits its signature." He pulled it up on the a model, showing remarkable skill in a foreign ship, and brought up a graph showing the wave signals for the remaining realms, along with some from the fallen realms.

"I'd thought of that, and sent several to test it, I lost six keys before I decried the waste. The dimensions are gone."

He shooke his head. "We're unable to go back past six months before Francis' arrival in your timeline. The interference is too much."

Sakura was thinking and now she spoke up. "Theoretically, they could be.. transposed.. no longer existing for us, but existing in some other reality completely, unconnected to any other dimension at all, no long existing for us, but still existing for themselves, however, for all intents and purposes, that would still mean they were destroyed as far as we can tell. That is a theory, however, we have to assume that it's what it appears to be based on the evidence we see, that the universes are being destroyed.. I wonder, Aradia and Bazorath are among the two oldest and most powerful dimensions, we stand upon a axis between prime, but never connected to each other, and we are, almost opposites... is Bazorath closed as well?"

"Not that I have felt," Skye said speaking for the first time. "It is open. I can feel it pulling at me every time we use a gate."

"Pulling?" Kai asked, frowning.

"I'm familiar with Bazorath and it's familiar with me," Skye said. The perplexing and unsettling statement was delivered without much inflection by the woman. "It is open, and we could go there, if you want."

Kai looked at her intently. "I never thought you'd say those words." Of them there, only Lily was there the last time he'd interacted with Bazaroth, opening the great gateway.

His eyes were dark and stormy as he thought of it. "I know that gate will open."

He looked to everyone. "It's possible that I can unlock Ardia, with a large enough gateway, and using resonance from Sakura to bypass the Guardian. This could also backfire horribly."

"Or, we can go to Bazaroth, perhaps the most militant of the Prime Realms."

The Director stood, walked over, and Punched Kai as hard as he could, sending him sprawling. "Don't be stupid Kai. You go there you'll die, your connection to the witchblade will kill you deader than Takashi."

Kai got up off the ground, wiping the blood from his mouth. "What do you think then. You've told us all this, but none of it will help us. We are no closer to our objective here."

There was an alert blaring through the ship in that instant. ""Head Captain, we are reading a massive distortion in spacetime. It's off the scale, It's a cascade failure.!"

Outside the viewports, they could see a wave of corruscating white energy closing in. "Initiate Random Hperdimensional Jump!" The Admiral was on the ball, and all fifteen ships, and the nearby observatory were taken in the Nadesico's jump field, even as the wave hit.

Each person there got a view of a beautiful world, slowly withering and twisting, taking on a frightening appearance. Demons flashed into view, and Invaders.

And for each, a unique vision...

For Lily, she saw a snow white wolf, the twin of the one she slew at the school months before.

For Sakura, her father's sword dripping blood and ichor.

Francis saw his world die, and Nagareboshi, lying broken, pitted and scarred.

Rebecca could see only a blast crater, and charred and molten metal remains, of a once proud humanoid mech.

Shiyukumei saw her gates destroyed, her legacy perverted, and Gai, dead within his mecha standing over her.

Hideko saw herself, stripped of her nanites, broken in body and spirit, defiled and humiliated.

Kai saw a young girl with snow white wings, and the same smile of madness Takashi wore so often.

For Skye, it was a face she could never forget, Henry smiled, Laughing at her, standing over Kazuo's lifeless body..... and in that instant, She knew, knew, that Henry was alive somehow, and he had not forgotten her.

When they all opened their eyes again they were in a field of stars, nowhere close to a planet, and the emergency lights were on.

Rebecca struggles back to her feet. That vision in her head... the despair was there, but then replaced by anger. Someone was playing with her mind... and whatever happened there... before the jump... was from hell itself unleashed.

The mixture of despair and loss in her mind combined with her rage... she goes off.

"DAMMIT!" She punches the table in the ready room, shattering it's countertop.

"We sit around here arguing and fighting amongst ourselves and for WHAT? FOR WHAT? Look what just happened! ANOTHER DAMN UNIVERSE GONE!"

"What the hell just went through my head... who is playing games with me!"

Her anger just multiplies. becoming stronger than that loss and despair. "We saw demons before that cascade failure... where do they come from? They must be our target because what sort of creatures would want omnicide than a demon itself?!?"

She starts breathing harder as her recollection of the vision becomes stronger. "Bullshit... that's never going to happen. NEVER!"

She slams her fists again into the already damaged table. "This war has become nothing more than killers hunting killers... we've.. lost so much..."

When Kai had been punched, Lily had literally teleported to his side to shield him from further attack. Her angry expression was a clear warning to the Director that if he hadn't surprised her, she'd never have let that fist hit...and that he'd be wise not to try it again.

Then things happened fast...too fast almost to think about.

"It's Bazaroth," Lily said in a shocked voice. Her face was pale. "Bazaroth is behind this whole thing. Or working with whatever is. They've started the last war...the war on every other world. But why now?"

"We can't risk going to Aradia. For all we know, that's what they want...for the defenses of Aradia to be broken so they can invade directly."

"No..."

A moment of clarity hit. "What if it's not just Bazaroth... what if Aradia and Bazaroth are slamming through every universe they can find to get something? And not caring what they destroy to find it?"

"If that is the case we gotta consider Aradia and Bazaroth our enemy, not just Bazaroth."

She spits a curse under her breath. "Something has caused those two universes to go crazy."

"Wait, does anyone know where we are?"

Hideko face has a horrified expression at the vision that soon gives way to anger

"N---no-- no Way. No FUCKING WAY!"

Hideko slams her gloved hand into a wall, her face seething in rage. In her anger, cracks start forming in her suit.

"That's not happening!"

More cracks form on her suit

"I am not going out like that!"

At this point the back of her suit breaks apart and a large amount of what looks like blue metallic material bursts out before covering Hideko, as if a pair of arms draped around her.

When this dissolves Hideko looks...different to say the least. Her hair for one has turned blue and her armor has reshaped it's self and is now mostly blue, black and white.

"What?" She said examining herself. "My Nanites...did you all hear me? You wanted to help me, let me know we're in this to the end together, right?"

She said expecting to hear a answer but none comes. Still she smiles.

"Thanks. We'll get through this."

She stops talking to herself and looks over at Rebecca

"Bazaroth? What's Bazaroth? It have something to do with that weird shit I just saw ?"

"I... I'm unaware of the different dimensions personally. Before my return from the now extinct universe I visited during the time I was "missing", I only knew of that one universe. I'm not a well versed traveler like Kai is."

Seeing as none present as of yet were able to answer her question she heads to a comlink on a wall in the ready room, looking more impatient by the moment.

"Bridge... report our status. Where are we?"

"Most people consider Bazaroth to be 'hell,'" Lily says darkly, after a startled pause as she took in Hideko's transformation. She shook off the shock though and continued.

"It's bleak, inhospitable, and the idigenous living beings are powerful and sadistic monsters. Cultures that have had any contact with Bazaroth over the ages spawn myths about demons who are made of evil itself, based on their experiences with them. The Empire has mostly encountered them while exploring other planets. Dalaraan itself has very few portals, and none to Bazaroth that I know of. Tsunami may have sealed any that existed."

"But even secondhand, we've learned more than we're comfortable with. Study of Bazaroth is very resticted, simply because it can be very dangerous for any one person to know too much."

Osprey noted the transformation of Hideko, but she again was jumpy.

"Dammit I'm not liking this."

She grabs her helmet from the table and puts it on. "SeaTalon, give me a status feed."

Power: Cold Standby
Weapons: Stored[/code]

[i]Damn... it would take a full warmup for sensors to come back online for her...[/i] She thinks.

She returns to the com-panel. "Bridge... this is Lieutenant R. S. Rathbone! Give me a DAMN status report!"

Slightly shaken, but still resolute, she reacted to the words some of the others were saying. "Aradia would never be party to the destruction of entire universes."

"But.. "

"No, the Council of Aeons and the Council of Emissaries wishes to awaken the worlds of the multiverse, not destroy them. We are at a near constant conflict with Bazorath, but neither of us directly connect with each other. Furthermore, Aradia has agents on all worlds the web connects too, they would not be party to slaying their own. It could be however, be due to something they are fighting, we rescued the faeries from a dimension that was destroyed by the bane many centuries ago.. but their home dimension was destroyed by the Bane, a power capable of devouring life.. but the dimension still existed, though lifeless, last I was aware."

Archived