Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - BESM: Shadows Revisited

Justin OOC

Okay, plainly put I did enjoy this game, I liked the characters, I liked the idea.

I'm opening this to discussion, but I am considering very hard to restart this game

charchters don't have to be new, some like Kaori, Skye, Keiko are most welcome.

Ideally I'd like no more than 8-10 players.

If you're interested, let me know.

I need at least 5 to make this game workable.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

general setting, to be explored, expanded, and expound upon by PC's. Things will be more or less important based upon PC interest...

There are things that go bump in the night. There always have been. For centuries they have been myths and legends. Tales told simply to scare children and encourage better behavior. No more. These things are back, and people are dying. The police are baffled, and those who observe the ancient ways note with alarm that things are becoming as they once were.

This is where we come to Kiyamori Academy, one of the noted private schools in Tokyo, Located in Nerima. Here, more mysterious occurrences seem to be centered. No one has died yet, but people are seeing impossible things more and more. Still life moves on, and what goes on in the other wards largely doesn’t affect the people here. The students of Kiyomori are a diverse bunch, The criteria for acceptance only known to the Headmaster of the Academy. No board checks him, and the teachers are every bit as diverse as their students.

Most of the clubs you’d expect are found here, though the kendo club has won national acclaim throughout the life of the school, both in men and women’s competitions.

Archery is well represented, and the Student Council does have real power within the school. The AV club has very good equipment, and more. The school plays at seeming normal, but what it is, and how things are done there, they don’t match up.

---------------------What I want from you is simple-------------------------------

Character creation is 250 CP

Build a student. Everyone is going to be a junior (17 at the oldest) and it is extremely likely you will all be in the same class. Each of you may have ONE special power, subject to my approval.

-no dynamic powerswed.

-power flux will be allowed, but anything created will not be permanent, and I reserve the right to set the cost as I see fit. You will not be able to buy duration to lower the reconfiguration time.

-only one special power will be allowed per character.

*Things that do not count as special powers*

Tough

Energy bonus

Extra attack (limit 1)

Extra defense (limit 1)

Many of the options for Features. (case by case basis)

melee attack

melee defense

ranged attack

ranged attack

Attack combat mastery

Defense combat Mastery

Combat Technique

Massive Damage

Wealth

Organizational ties

Aura of Inspiration

Divine Releationship

*All charcters recieve 5 free ranks of resistance

A further note, just to encourage diversity. I will provide each character with some form of archaic weapon, or modern item, (the player's choice) to help them deal with the supernatural enemies they'll be forced to deal with eventually. Firearms in general are useless against the enmies here, save for buying time or pissing them off, unless they are imbued weaponry.

As another note, I will not be using shock value for this game.

My concept has come alive, mostly. Rich kid, family connections, rides a motorbike ... member of the Kendo club. Regeration as a power (still working this out) ... Not so hot at academics but has an incredible memory so crams to score much higher on tests than he really ought to.

Perhaps thinks he is some sort of modern Samurai ... or at least embraces this kind of thinking when it works for him ... bit of a rogue verging on tough guy :)

Maybe a bit Gyaru-oh

My concept has come alive, mostly. Rich kid, family connections, rides a motorbike ... member of the Kendo club. Regeration as a power (still working this out) ... Not so hot at academics but has an incredible memory so crams to score much higher on tests than he really ought to.

Perhaps thinks he is some sort of modern Samurai ... or at least embraces this kind of thinking when it works for him ... bit of a rogue verging on tough guy :)

Maybe a bit Gyaru-oh

Kazuo lives again. Sorta. ;)

My Entry: #4

Girls

Morishima_Haruka_v1_by_grandchaosSR.jpg

Guys

688034-6888616-Tenchi%20screen%20cap.jpg

Faculty (Click to see page),

Although men would wear black slacks and have a green blazer over their uniform.

Although to be honest choice #1 is what I would pick if I didn't get my idea.

And yes, I would demand my faculty wear uniforms. It's just the principle of the matter. I believe if you make your students wear a uniform, the Teachers should have their own as well.

Well, I do like the merits of #3.

It has the look of a upper-class, private academy.

It looks good.

If I had to wear it for a uniform, I would be proud to wear it.

My only minuses to this are that the uniform screams "I'm rich, kidnap me", and that the disparity of colors between the girls and boy's uniform is glaring. I guess I like a common color among my uniforms.

BUT, I'm sticking by my choice (of #4) and having #1 as my second choice in case there is a run-off.

Why #4?

1: The Boy's uniform is the traditional one that any school has. It's easy to find, inexpensive because every Japanese uniform company probably makes it, and it's stood the test of time. Boys tend not to be fashion plates and just go with something that looks official.

2: The Girl's uniform has some elements of the classic seifuku with the sailor-collared blazer, but it has many modern considerations (the sweater vest, the polo with bow underneath, the respectivle cuts). The blazer looks private school but has that "gifted school" look with a professional appearance. It's mature, cute without being obnoxious, and hey... black is cool.

Okay I should have my character up soon.

Since I'm using the profile I was going to use for Adventure! I'm sort of stuck as Lady Anne M. Aceworth, and the forums are currently glitched where you can't change your name at all.

But here's a thumbnail of her...

Anne Aceworth is the daughter of Lord Thaddeus Aceworth, Ambassodor to Japan representing the UK. She's an avid aviation nut, and is a bit socially awkward. She may be rich but never shows it. She almost seems middle-class in attitude and doesn't hold herself above others. She's a peacemaker and tends to put off an air of stability and trustworthyness others can rally behind. And she has the ethics and morals to back that up.

Anne has a pilot's licence and is decent behind the controls when she flies for real, altough in simulators she tends to break the envelope and show a killer instinct as a dogfighter. She is just as liable to invide any friends to a day at a flight simulator attraction as she would to go out to lunch.

Anne is a member of the aviation club at the school, and is it's star member. She tends to keep a pair of aviator goggles (which she also wears with her helmet when on her moped) on person, sometimes wearing them on her head when off campus. Her bedroom is literally a shrine to aviation, and she keeps a few flight suits in her closet as part of her collection as well as various aviation related trinkets.

Oh, and WE STILL NEED VOTES ON THE UNIFORMS!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a note to all of you, I am going to extend the deadline for chapter two for one more week, until May 7th, since you all seem to be having fun. I will wrap the chapter then, and we will return to a more normal ST driven posting scenario, and things will heat up considerably if all goes according to plan.

I'm going to make a decision once this chapter completes on if to continue with Shadows or not. I got a lot of games on my plate here and it's rather early in Anne's game, So honestly I feel if I have to start cutting back I can cut back here.

Addendum: I'll not post until the next plot beat/chapter. I feel a little burned out on Shadows and I think I need a bit of time to recover.

Archived