Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Take flight young man. [FIN]

Ling

Afternoon

June 18

Magnificent wing span, a tight bronze body, it was as if the world was brighter because of the majestic Dragon's presence as he flew high above the world. He had a lot going for him at this time, movie deal, possible allies in crushing those that would harm his kind. Life was good, and there wasn't anyone who could really convince him otherwise. Many times he enjoyed flying to the roof of the world, staring at the beauty below, it was a beautiful planet, it was a shame that it might not last longer. Perhaps she would live on, she kept going through asteroid strikes, cataclysmic eruptions, and yet, it is not known if she will survive man. Learning from the past, the world would probably outlive even the new lifeforms brought out of this age. She sure is a tough old bird.

Ling's speculations are interupted as a flicker of light seems to blur into visibility to his right, rapid resolving into a vaguely female form of varicolored light paraleling his course and matching his speed with ease. The shape nods it's head friendily at him, leaving a trail of light behind it. An up-and-down glance from the other nova, taking him in with a ripple of color that mirrored a smile.

It held up a hand, chinese characters flickering across it's palm, 'Want to talk? Follow me down below the winds if yes.'

And then the form dropped both speed and altitude, converting from iredesant light into alluring-proportioned flesh clad in dark-blue cloth, a hopeful smile on her lips and white-on-black eyes alight with curiousity and friendliness as Coraline Boehm dropped further and further behind Ling waiting for him to follow, born aloft by invisible quantum wings.

Normal individuals might stop, and yell, 'what the hell is that thing!?' but in the world of Novas, this kind of thing was normal, aside from the friendliness to strangers part. That always threw people for a loop. He descended, he had nowhere to be, particularly soon, he had to shoot a scene, but that was another time, and he was ahead of schedule. His gilded wings did not flap as he hovered before the odd creature before him, she was unbelievably pretty, not unlike most that he runs into. He had enough decency to let fly his eufiber to cover himself. He offered the smile he offers everyone, "What have we got here?"

Coraline maintained her hover a few meters away from the winged Nova, a half-smile on her face for a few heartbeats before she answered, voice a chorus of voices exotically just out of synch with one another in textbook perfect Chinese. "Coraline Boehm. I was on my afternoon jog home when I spotted you, and I've been making a point of meeting new people lately," she volunteered, "May I have your name?"

He had all the signs of being a 2nd Generation Nova, youth, power, lack of taint but seeming aberations, but the young metamorph wanted to be sure before revealing herself, however much she was eager to. She had a few hours to burn before Butch expected her home to help with the kids and have their daily talk, anyway.

"How long have we shared the sky ma chere?" He smirked and bowed deeply his arm sweeping across his chest, "I am called Wong, in passing, pleasure to make your acquantance."

She was powerful, he would have to play it safe, but safe is a relative term when it came to Ling Yao.

"I spotted you a few minutes ago and altered course to get a look at someone who seemed to have the same idea of what an afternoon jog is. Decided to see if you were nice to talk to as you were interesting to look at," Coraline answered easily, chorus friendly and ever-so-mildly probing with natural curiousity.

She rested a hand on her chin as they hovered there impossibly above the world, "So. what do you do aside from take in the sights of the planet we're all reluctantly sharing at the moment?"

"Clearly there are more interesting specimens to look at," he eyed her odd form up and down, "I am always a pleasure to those who would not be my enemies."

Ling took a few oddly solid steps toward her and smiled, "I do many things, I protect what I wish, I destroy what desires harm upon my charges, a collector of many antiquities, and last but not least, the best villian to be seen upon the silver screen, once the movie is finished of course."

"Oh really? May I ask the title?" Coraline returned with genuine curiousity. She hadn't bothered taking much interest in popular culture, but being as she *was* a small but growing piece of popular culture herself, the young metamorph could no longer afford such ignorance. It was helpful in getting to know how other people thought.

"And feel free to ask me a question or two back. I reserve the right to be cryptic, but don't pry too hard and I'll be glad to answer," she added with a soft chuckle, chorus amused.

Ling snickered, and put his index finger and coyly stated, "That, is, a, secret." He laughed, "you'll have to wait for the press release, I'll be there for everyone to take in my splendor." He circled her, she was a curious creature, easy on the eyes, as a man investigation was warranted, "what is it you enjoy doing other than partaking in the view of a world that may end within our lifetime?" Ling was a distracting creature, cryptic, but he never seemed to be lying, even if it made sense, he just seemed so genuinely unconcerned with threats that lies were unnecessary.

"I see. If I see your name appear on the next cover of N!, I'll be sure to flip to the pages in question, Wong," she volunteered, reading the other Nova's quantum aura and body language like a book and more convinced with every minute that she could trust him, if only a little. At least enough to take a little risk.

"It's not so much the view as the journey I enjoy, pitting myself and my Node against the universe and seeing how much faster than it I can go. The limits of the atmosphere are starting to feel more than a little confining to be honest, but I have my responsibilties here. Friends. Family. A budding career in the fashion industry."

Coraline permited herself a dramatic little pose such as she might pull off at a shoot before becoming deadly serious, "And keeping those of us born with a Node from being killed for the crime of merely existing. I'm trusting you to keep that last part to yourself if I guessed wrong."

Ling watched her, still floating about, offering for appearances a flap of his magnificent wings, it all brought an ambiance that could only be described as Ling. "You have some tall hopes, you're powerful enough to attempt these desires, and cute enough to put some flare into it." He circled and floated infront of her again, his fist on his chin, his other hand holding his elbow, "but can you kill for your ideals, or if even killing is beyond your ideals, do you have the strength to hold that back?" There was indeed a dragon before her, his words were cold and bare, "there is much conflict ahead in the path you have chosen, do you have the mind and spirit to back up your strength of body and node?"

Coraline visibly stiffled a chuckle at his tone, white-on-black eyes narrowed to amused slits at his chastisement, a wave to his dragon, flowing with the moment but with hidden undertoes just as deadly if pushed. "If I have to to save lives, yes, but murder is always the option of last resort. Killing individual Motherhunters isn't going to get their masters and their masters' puppetmaster to stop attacking anyway," she responded, chorus soft as she drifted in place, "And the harder we hit back, the harder they'll reply. Push and pull is the principal controling all reactions after all, even human ones."

"Something like that. Or at least friendly faces to count on in a crisis if I need them to make things better for all of us," Coraline volunteered with a vague gesture at the world they were hanging over, "So, is the movie star willing to help the super model make the world a better place?"

There was a chuckle in that question, at the bemused realization of their mutual hidden depths.

"I would enjoy keeping the company of this super model, oh and of course helping bring peace to the world, even if we have to choke the shit out of it." He chuckled, "you can count on me Coraline."

"Which brings us to the next question, how do we keep in touch?" his eyes met hers, they were stunning, unshifting unlike those that he met.

"I'm hoping the example we're using would be closer to hiting a few pressure points and getting our opponents to relax rather than carving a message out of the their flesh. Most of them *are* innocents at best and misinformed pragmatists at worst," Coraline replied, unflinching under his gaze before she looked away to consider his question, sunlight tracing her profile like living art, "Hmmm, I do have an OpNet address. If we arrange some coincidental meeting on of these days, we'll have every excuse in the world to begin chatting and hide meetings like this amid the gossip of two up and coming media figures like ourselves. You ever been to the Congo? It's lovely. And safe."

"There is evidence that there are no innocents in this world, even children are baptized in the sins of the fathers," he held up a finger and sniggered, "or just silly prattlings of the nihilistic." He thought to himself, "no, never been, wonder why...not really I suppose I'll be getting to that soon enough."

"10:00 am central african time on the 24th of May in Kinshasa suit your schedule, Wong? Show up above the main tourist market close to the palace and I'll run into you soon enough," Coraline answered after a brief counter-chuckle, "I won't quite look like this thanks to an inheritance from my Mother, but I've been told the voice and the eyes are distinct enough."

"For now, yes. I do have places to go and things to do. Time doesn't stand still even for us," she answered contentedly, a pleased nod matching the smile on her face before her form was consumed by light, "See you Kinshasa then, Wong."

The young metamorph flashed into motion, soundlessly blurring south too fast for Wong to sense, leaving behind nothing but a promise of future meetings to come and her faith he'd live up to her good faith.

Bodymorph, Hypermovement, and Enhanced Movement. Zell, you know where to take this thread next.

24 May, 0945

Kinshasa

A singularity appeared in the skies, black as pitch, eating the light around it. Ling stepped out of the hole which closed with an audible pop, a couple cursory flaps of his stunning wings he breathed in, "yup." He crossed his arms and sat back floating in the sky and checked his watch.

Despite his enhanced senses, Ling had no more warning than the baseline tourists and merchants in the market below as Coraline decelerated into conventional visibility two meters away from him. As warned, her features were nearly completely different, a blonde bombshell with only her white-on-black eyes to link her apperance to what he had seen before, overwhelming good looks somehow pushed to even greater peaks than before. "Glad to see you here, Wong," she greeted in her distinct chorus of voices and ignoring the comotion their arrival was causing below, "You're prompt. Come on, I know a restaurant near-by and have something to celebrate. If you don't mind."

The tones were warm, the body language that of someone hoping to add a pleasant success atop a pleasant success, dressed in a white dress and sandals with grey tights to rob observers below of even more of a view than they were getting.

Ling sat up from his liesure position and floated toward her and bowed holding his hand palm up to her, "Caught me unawares once again, perhaps twice again."

She snerked and gave him her hand, his gesture not unheard of he kissed her hand, "Intersting concept to invite me to dinner, and to celebrate what I suppose I will find out soon, as quick as you move."

He chuckled, his hand was warm and strong, a noble bearing displayed as he awaits her lead. His suit was white today, relaxed and accented in blue and silver, loose and soft material, to breathe in the cool Congo winds.

OOC: I'm going to go with the idea the press conference for Dead Rising happened on the 23rd of May or earlier. Just for the sake of mischief since no date was given.

The flight was a short one, even by the subsonic speed limits imposed within the city limits of Kinshasa, ending with the pair of Novas touching down outside of an upscale restaurant called The Lion's Den. "Welcome to the next edition of N's gossip pages, Mr. Wong," she commented, pointing out a few amautuer paparazzi, "Sure as I am you're used to it since that press conference in Mumbai."

Coraline gracefully made her way to door of the restaurant, pausing only slightly to allow one of the outgoing patrons to hold the door open for her and Ling. The interior was tribal-chic, dark walls offset by brightly-painted hide shields, masks, and weapons, either originals or expert copies. The host straightened at their entrance, offering in lightly accented English, "Mademoiselle Boehm. A table is ready for you and your guest. If you will follow me..."

"An interesting predicament, I'm sure we'll make the best of it and give them something to write about," he laughed and grinned in his usual fashion. "Nice choice in place, it's got pinache, style.....pointy spears..." he snickered and went back to a dignified pose as they made their way in. "Make sure I get plenty of wing room miss, I wouldn't want to knock anything over." Ling offered a sly smirk.

"Of course, Sir," responded the Host over one shoulder as he led the pair of Novas into the main dining room and to a corner table for two. One of the chairs, the one with it's back to the room looked industrially-enforced underneath the decoration. Coraline gracefully settled into her own seat, one hand brushing a rebelious stand of blonde hair behind one ear, smiling as Ling settled into his own seat without so much as a sound of protest at his incredably dense mass.

Two menus were placed in front of each of them, and the Host retreated to tend more customers.

"I explained your need for something more sturdy when I made the reservation, Wong, much as It seems I underestimated your ability to cope," the young metamorph finally commented over her menu, white-on-black eyes amused, "Have a productive six days on your movie set?"

He quirked an eyebrow at Cora and smirked, "does this suit make me look fat?" Ling sniggered and nodded, "yes, was quite fun, the talent on the set is quite refreshing, how about you on the model scene?" He studied her a moment, "still gorgeous I see."

Coraline's voices tittered with amusement, "Something along those lines, yes. My Node recently decided to give me the ability to have my... meness stick to film. It has my handlers at DeVries rather excited at the new contracts I can pick up, much as I refuse to do anything *too* adult fare yet. It's a rather good boon actually for someone as fresh on the scene as I am. It's all about getting your name and your face out there. Well, faces in my case. I'm going to ask someone I trust one of these days to help me make a 'brand' of my Tells. Couldn't hurt."

She paused in her mini-speech, white-on-black eyes speculative as she focused back on the meal, "Hmmm, I'm feeling like lamb tonight. Not so much of it as their beef Nova special, but I'm eating for taste, not to fill myself tonight."

"Trust could be hard in these times," he smirked, "as for food, I will just have their speciality, I'm none too picky, just better not be boring." Lings stared at her through narrow slits of mirth, "so about this celebration?"

"Oh, I've got a person or two in mind already, practically closer than family," she replied, gesturing at a passing waiter that they were ready to order. "Perhaps you'll meet them one of these days if you keep up your good behavior. As for celebration, a low-key meal in the safest country in the world to mark fun and success in both out careers isn't celebration enough? I could show you the sights afterwards. This is a beautiful country, and I'd love to show you around and try and persuade you to spend a little more time here. It's the only place I really feel confident in, a whole lot of unwholesome groups kept at bay, although, to be fair, I've never visited Japan."

"Japan, I've been there once or twice, it's not the yellow mountains of my home but, it has its landscapes like many other countries." He smirked, "this country has it's features," he eyed her up and down, "but then again why stay in one place for long anyway, there's too much to see and experience in the rest of the expanse."

Heh. One of those Novas. She could cope with it.

"Some places are better than others though, Wong, and there's no harm in getting to know a safe roost for a few days before continuing the journey to find a new one," Coraline volunteered, "Tell you what. Let me show you the good things here in the Congo, and I'll take a few hours to get to know your Yellow Mountains. I haven't lingered over China much due to the stories coming out of there, but obviously they're not all true if someone like you came out of there. There's no getting to know someone like knowing where they've grown up."

The smile on her face twisted a little, fully aware how tongues would wag with that line, but not caring.

"I assure you many of the rumors are true, but I like to think I make a difference there," He smirked. "Fine, you have yourself a date," he leaned over his drink, "I am sure with your power you'll be left alone much like myself, and we could have plenty of fun." He leaned back and smiled over his drink, his fangs prominent, "I am curious as to where it is the rising young model grew up, what could produce such a thing."

"Good. I'll look forward to it, but for tonight, we have dinner and a flight to enjoy," she responded with every sign of a victory under her belt, "As to where I'm from, a little bit of everywhere, little corners of nowhere. A friend of mine put it as 'army brat without the army'. I had to look up what the phrase meant, that was how sheltered I was until not that long ago. I've been doing a whole lot of growing up recently, hopefully for the better and out of a bit of beginner's luck."

She paused as a waiter arrived, the man offering with a visible effort to stay composed, "Are you and your guest ready to order, Madamasile?"

"I am. I'll have the roast lamb. And water," she responded with a gentle smile, "Wong, you ready?"

Coraline waited until the waiter bowed out before answering, one perfect, blonde eyebrow raised, "Who said anything about you having to lose in order for me to win? The best victories are ones where both parties benefit, and none of us are going to win unless we start thinking that way. There's plenty of universe to go around for all of us, plenty of journey to share without wrecking one another's flight paths."

A polytonal chuckle.

"Oh, I do have the most trouble bringing around some of the other models I'm sharing shoots with, much as most of them are more than professional and pleasant enough for me to work with without a problem. Humanity really is it's own worst eniemy in a lot of ways. And I was thinking a leisurely tour around Kinsasha before heading out to take in the natural wonders of the nature reserves. There's a lot of beauty here that they haven't put in cage yet, and the press should be thin enough on the ground way out there that we can talk in private."

And on that innuendo, Coraline chuckled again, "But tell me more about filming your movie. You worked with Sakura?"

He chuckled and clicked his silver tongue on a fang.

"Sounds like a plan. I did indeed work with Sakura, she was a splendid actress in her own, I learned a lot from her. Quite the natural wonder she is. There were many issues with keeping things on schedule at times, I may or may not have had a hand in that problem. I enjoyed every moment I got to play the villian, something a dragon is well suited to I think."

He gave her a smoothe look, "of course much of the filming must be secret after all, even Miss Boehm must purchase her ticket, though I might be willing to give her a private viewing."

The paparazzi would have a field day with this act.

"I was under the impression dragons were benign creatures in Eastern mythology, the kind the brave hero climbed up the sacred mountain to politely ask for advise," Coraline countered teasingly, "Or should I not trust you, Mr. Wong? Is my virtue at stake if I trust myself alone with you?"

The young metamorph was enjoying this game. She'd make up any misunderstanding to Norman later, but she trusted him to trust her good intentions. Sometimes, much as she strove to avoid thinking about them this way, Baselines required a distraction if you wanted to get anything done.

Archived