Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] To Move All Boulders[COMPLETE]

Adrian Moss

Without their former master backing them, the storms were relatively easy to diminish, as Shaman's efforts turned a roiling storm into a simple clear sunny day. His efforts to tame the tornadoes were rewarded with much the same, causing them to become nothing more than a light breeze. Clearly much had been dependant on the nova who'd been controlling the storms, strengnthening them as well.

Horizon moved up to stand by Shaman.

"Well, Young Master, you didn't die."

Shaman looked at him, first unsure then with a grin.

"Try not to sound so surprised."

"Oh," Horizon responded majestically, "I'm not so much surprised as I am flabbergasted. The odd makers in Macao will undoubtably be looking me up soon. After all, you have no defenses, no combat experience, and an abundant lack of common sense."

He gives Shaman a wink.

"It was a sure thing."

Shaman chuckles until it hurts (not long at all) then replies,

"I did think to ask for her help."

"And I didn't have to club you and drag you back home because you did," Horizon shot back.

Shaman wordlessly concedes the point. Now, all he can do was wait for Cora to re-appear.

"She is okay, right?"

Horizon didn't respond.

And then, in silence and in grace, Coraline flickered back into view, decelerating as she shed her obvious and not so obvious enhancements in a shimmer of dematerializing quantum. The sadness of having to kill another innocent victim of his parent's Taint in her eyes, but the emotion was buffered by their obvious success in resolving another problem.

"You're okay. I was worried that I was too slow to protect you," she grinned warmly, still hovering a few inches above the ground in her skyblue eufiber bodyglove, hair damp from the rain and backlit by the sun. The young metamorph chuckled and threw herself into a jubilant hug with Shaman, forgeting self-control for once. Her first mission without her family at her back. Lives on the line. Futures at stake. And it suceeded. Because of Shaman and who and what he was.

"Thank you, Shaman. I needed something like this to be ready to try and lead the others," she volunteered in a polytonal whisper, warm and grateful.

All off save Flight

Shaman gulped. The air left him and he was starving for air. He felt his heart pounding and the world skewed off-kilter.

'She's touching us.'

'What if she ...'

'Can we affect her?'

'If we can't, how cool is that?'

'Just go with the moment.'

Shaman hugged her back softly. He was afraid she would dissipate into stardust.

"Your welcome," he whispered. "I never had a doubt you would be the one."

'Don't ever let this moment ever end.'

'No.'

'Please.'

'She isn't for us.'

'Yet.'

'Okay.'

Knife to the Heart
Spend a Willpower to break away from Her.

Shaman steps back.

"I need to tell the people back home that the mission is accomplished. You need to slip back to your life before too many figure out what you've done. I don't think they are ready yet. I'll tell them whatever you want."

He is honest and pained at the same time.

"Tell them that a friend owed you and your Father a favor and was glad to help you save lives. That's truth enough for them to know and warn any listening ears Aeon has that Congo is not alone in cleaning up the problems it faces at their or anyone else's hands," she answered with an easy grin, slightly flushed from his aberation but composed enough for thought, "I'll be seeing you on the 21st, but if anything comes up before that, don't hesitate to contact us again, Shaman. Even if it's just an afternoon free to share what you're doing. I'll find a way to make time."

Her features blurred with speed and burst into light, leaving the pair with the seared afterimage of the retreating speedster, already a good chunk of the way to the horizon if they had eyes good enough to see her go, her photonic form ripple with troubled waves of emotion at the latest child of her generation she had had to kill to help others.

Shaman didn't say anything for the longest time. It was Horizon who broke the silence.

"What do we do?"

"We go home," Shaman replied. "This is done, though I feel dirty having done it now. I don't even know why this happened."

"Living is learning," Horizon told him. "You lived. Learn from it and go forward."

Shaman looked to his guardian and nodded. He was the one left alive.

"The Palace," Shaman said quietly. "I'll clean up and then go tell Esperance that Uganda is better off now. It will clean itself up in a matter of weeks. As for me, I think I have other things to take care of."

"Like what," Horizon asked, trying to be upbeat.

Shaman didn't take the bait.

"Other things."

Archived