Limitless

Titan

Just because you're smart doesn't mean you can't make bad choices for the wrong reasons. :) And the pill...I'm not sure it really offers "intelligence." It's more like a kind of super-clarity. It feels to me like it gives you a kind of tunnel vision too though. Like when he decided he wanted to get into politics, the pills says, "Okay, lets get you rich...and the way to do that is to play the markets."

The fact is there are other ways to get rich, and really there are other ways to get into politics even. But once he "locked on" to a course of action, that was it... The pill definitely gave him what he needed to pursue those decisions, but it didn't seem like it really broadened his horizons, or helped him think outside the box...

Still, a fun movie, and an interesting take on one particular definition of superintelligence.

Decided to watch this last night even though there is stuff higher up on my Netflix instant queue. I think I largely agree with Max in that as much as it expanded the person's mind, it didn't necessarily expand their ability for lateral thinking (though it was implied toward the end that Edward had done just that, perhaps consciously).

The pill provided what could be arguably called ranks of Mega Int, Pre, Wits (mostly limited to reaction time), Cha, and Manipulation but at no point did it provide any amount of extra "common sense" or "wisdom", as shown by the fact that after having stash issues the first time Edward started carrying around the whole bag of pills. A little more thorough thinking would have led to him having that supply split between two, three, four, or more locations, some on his person (the ol' shoe compartment trick), and some in places he could easily access either at home or in the city but well hidden & protected. He really should not have gotten to the point he was at the opening of the movie and just before the coda, strung out and being attacked without any drug to set him straight.

I was glad at the end that he had apparently gotten smart enough to subvert the drug itself by altering his brain chemistry to make the effects permanent (this reminds me a bit of The 4400 and promicin) because it showed that he'd finally stopped taking things lightly, and started to really think about the best way to use the drug to his best long term advantage, and somebody as smart as he was supposed to be should have been more than able to refine/upgrade the drug as he did.

Overall it was entertaining, but I can also see why it didn't catch the mainstream audience.

Archived