Trinity Universe: For the love of God, why? Looking to start an Adventure! game.

Heritage

So we were talking in chat about this and that; one thing led to another, and I decided it might be fun to run an Adventure! game here again. My first game on the site started back in December of 2001, so it seems oddly appropriate to run one again.

(Here's the old game, by the way: )

Kamiko suggested 1938 as a starting date, which puts us right in prime 'Indy-punching-Nazis' mode; what say you, gentle folk?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To make this fairly simple, for myself if no one else, I'm thinking we use the gameworld right out of the box; you don't have to be cronies of Mercer per se, but i don't want to have to go crazy with the world-building like in the LCU. I also want the tone to stay pulpy, and not go all gritty and shit.

Jeeze I wish I had a working scanner... I pulled this little doodle of my character from a different TT game I am somewhat basing this Adventure! character off of. In the TT game, the character specialized in seaplanes... Seriously considering making mine in this the same.

DSC06969a.jpg

Note: This is Anne's Player.

aviatrix_by_tghermit-d4jgxn5.jpg
Lady Anne Mary Aceworth

Lady Anne Aceworth was born in London, England on 1 June, 1916 to Captain Hampton Reginald Aceworth and Lady Abigail Armstrong Aceworth (Deceased). It was a trying time, while the good Captain was fighting the German navy in the north Atlantic, far away from the Battle of Jutland that raged on the other side of the British isles, Lady Aceworth was having a struggle of her own. Her labor was over two days in legnth, and in the end, after the birth of her daughter, she barely had a chance to name her daughter before Abigail perished from child birth. Captain Aceworth was called back to London and within the month moved to the London offices of the Royal Navy's admiralty. Sir Aceworth welcomed the new duties, and treasured being close to his daughter, but he thirsted to be out there in the seas that were rightfully the empire's, and he swore to fight to the last. By the time he was able to captain another ship, the war was fully over and the Armistice was signed.

During the great Flu of 1918-1920, Captain Aceworth was scared for the safety of his daughter, so during that time, after his comission was over and he was a civilian once more, he bought a ship that was being scrapped due to the terms of armistice and used it as a home. He sailed out in the newly minted "SS Aceworth" to tour around the isles and around the world. As Anne grew older, tutors were hired and Sir Aceworth taught her the many intricacies of seamanship... she never seemed to pay much mind as she watched dreamfully the aircraft that flew over her. Although she loved being in the engine room and learning about the engines and mechanically intrinsic nature of the ship.

In 1928, Anne's father volunteered to be a radio relay for Amelia Earhart's trans-atlantic flight. Anne listened intently to every moment and even saw, if but a breif moment Amelia's airplane. That's when she knew she had to be up there.

Seeing the worth of Anne's dream, he began to see to it she had the best trainers and equipment anyone could have. He even sold the SS Aceworth to buy a hangar and plane for her. Times were tough during the depression, But in 1933, those who dared to fly could make a living. It was a different culture among pilots. And Anne was unique. She took to seaplanes like she took to any other aircraft. Seeing as such, her father on her 18th Birthday in 1934, gave her her own, fully equipped seaplane.

It was then her other skill flourished... she was a natural engineer. In a year she had remodeled her birthday gift to be amphibious, so it could land on a runway or on water easily!

Lady Anne Aceworth didn't like seeing her name carry more weight than her deeds, but one fateful day would solidify her as a ace pilot. She was picked to copilot a trans-Atlantic mail service run from Dover to France in the plane owned by her boss, a man who trusted her navigational skill and knack for fixing problems on the fly. He found her style of wearing almost as much gear as a RAF pilot odd, but thought it cute in a way. Half way across the channel, storms raging, his appendix burst. She had to act quick so she floored the throttle and flew the plane to near breaking back to the closest city on the British coast.

Her skill and bravery in a storm, low fuel, and even losing one engine earned her respect. Saving her boss made her a local legend. Among Aviatrixes she earned the name "Osprey" for her tenacity like the sea bird she gets her "callsign" from.

Over the next couple of years, she flew, gaining more experience as a pilot and discovering she had more talent than she thought she had. Rumblings of another war with Germany and people speaking of needing good pilots interested her... and that is where we stand now. Of course, her souped up amphibious seaplane is up for the task as well!

Personality

Lady Aceworth is Friendly, Lighthearted, and Youthful. She's kind, but not easily fooled by chicanery and does not take kindly to dishonest people. Con men even more so. She holds herself to higher ideals, such as charity, honesty, and a strong moral compass that she won't stray unless she literally had a gun to her head.

Appearance and Manner of Dress

Anne has brown hair, blue eyes, stands average height for a woman of 22 years and has a slightly thinner frame. Her freckled face and kind and beaming smile makes her look much younger than she really is. She usually wears whatever is comfortable, sometimes taking a shine to a surplus royal navy seaman's shirt and classic near-white pilot's pants. When flying she adds a dark brown jacket, holstered M1911 pistol, A parachute and life preserver vest she managed to buy through her Father's connections with the royal navy and it's air assets. Sometimes people find it hard to tell she's a girl in that gear unless she wears her hear out or in low-hanging pigtails underneath her flight cap.

"The Spirit of Cardiff"

The Spirit of Cardiff is her heavily modified seaplane, capable of using runways or seaports, the Spirit of Cardiff is a medium sized seaplane, capable of taking some cargo and a few passengers. She's heavily modified from her original form but from what you could see of her you could not tell. It has a state-of-the-art dashboard display, extended fuel capacity, and built-in fire extinguishing fail-safes added to the engines to prevent engine fires. Her eye for safety also usually means there's a couple life rafts and plenty of parachutes and life vests she can hand out if needed.

Lady Anne Mary Aceworth

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 128 pds

Race: Caucasian

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Blue

Origin: High Class

Faction: The Aeon Society / The Ninety-Nines

Virtue: Caregiver

Vice: Paragon

Attributes & Abilities (Masteries in BOLD)

Strength: ••

Brawl: ••

Dexterity: •••

Athletics: ••

Firearms (Multiple Shots): •••••

Stamina: ••

Endurance: •

Perception: •••

Awareness: •••••

Navigation: •••••

Intelligence: •••

Academics: •••

Engineering (Vehicular): ••••••

Survival: •••

Linguistics: •• (Native: English, Other Languages: German, Japanese)

Wits: •••

Pilot (Seaplane, Aircraft): ••••••

Appearance: ••

Manipulation: ••

Subterfuge: •••

Charisma: ••

Ettiquette: •••

Rapport: •

Backgrounds

Allies: • (The Stig - Her copilot and assistant mechanic)

Resources: •••••

Sanctum: • (Her Hangar, "The Osprey's Nest")

Gadget: ••• (Amphibious Seaplane "The Spirit of Cardiff")

Willpower: ••••••

Initiative: 6

Walk: 5m, Run: 15m, Sprint: 26m

Inspiration: •••

Intuitive: ••

Reflective:

Destructive: 0

Heroic Knacks

Gadgeteer

Test Pilot (Rename of Barnstormer)

So we're looking at having our game be set in the London chapterhouse of the Aeon Society; this way, we're closer to the action in Europe. This shuld be very fun! PCs do not have to be members of the soceity to join the game, but they shouldn't be enemies of it, either (unless they're a flithy Nazi shpy!)

Well I have a PM waiting with Heritage, but the basic idea is an extreme explorer...think arctic expeditions, desert pilgrimages, etc. He's a stalwart with Body of Bronze, Optimized Metabolism and Man for all Seasons.

Still working out the numbers, but the catch is that he emerged from the arctic about a year after Hammersmith's incident with no idea of who he is or where he came from. He was frozen in ice (ala Captain America) in 'suspended animation' until the Hammersmith event triggered his inspiration and he woke up, with his body heat eventually melting enough of the ice to let him get free.

He's been roaming the world ever since, joining the Aeon Society and trying to figure out who he is but to no avail. He has Cipher 6, but has no idea why, or what people don't want him to find out who he is.

So I really really like the "Indy Punching Nazis" flavor of storytelling. One of my favorites. But I know nothing about this "Adventure!" thing. The system, the setting, etc. Nothing. I'd like to play... But without more info, that's going to be pretty difficult. Anyone want to fill me in?

It's a long out of print game from White Wolf, the 3rd (and final) in the Æon Trinity series. It was set during the late 1920s and detailed the origins of the Æon Society for Gentlemen.

The system was easily the best of the three Æon games in terms of balance and playability (not as fidgety as Trinity, nor as broken as Abberant).

Wow, I'm sitting on a gold mine. I went on a rampage on ebay back when I still had a group to game with, I had 4 copies at one point. One was gifted flat out to a couple friends (they still have it), and the other three are on my bookshelf at home in what I would consider to be "like new" or "near mint" or whatever condition. I wonder what that blue hardcover Aberrant would sell for ... or the two spiral bound Æon books (both of which are pre-court mandated Trinity sticker overlays) ...

Telluric energy (aka Z-rays) can be used to explain all kinds of colorful BS; there are zombies in-universe, for example, but they're more classic Haitian style than you're Romeroesque leg-draggers.

The question of tone is a good one, as pulp comes in many flavors; straight-up Indiana Jones is fun, but Adventure! runs a much wider gamut, allowing Lamont Cranston and Doc Savage to fight by Indy's side. I tend to cast a fairly wide net when it comes to embracing tropes. Personally I see a subtle difference between the mystical and 'true' supernatural, more a matter of degree than anything else. I have no problem with Nazi vampires (no, not that way, I do want them all dead), but I might lean a bit more on psuedo-scientific mumbo-jumbo to explain their existence, i.e. the extract of a rare Peruvian herb that gives one super-strength but crave blood rather than being truly undead. Sort of like how classic Doctor Who used to explain ancient superstitions with weird aliens or technology.

How does that sound to folks?

*grins* Or worse, It's some sort of rare variant of a bacterial infection that can only be spread by saliva, the bacteria was mutated by exposure to certain types of telluric fields that created the legendary symptoms expressed by a vampire. In order for the victim to survive they have to consume human hemoglobin to extract certain sustenance for their bacterium-infected cells. Otherwise their bodies enter a hybernative state.

Wow... I got this down cold!

Archived