Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude.Delta] The Wages of Sin

Quantum Fire

Infinity’s red eyes widened as she met gold ones, eyes she hadn’t seen for years and which spun her right back to her last memory of them…

Mature flashback

Golden eyes flashed in the dim light of the room as their owner lazily blinked at the ceiling. Infinity’s own eyes were mere slits as she watched her latest playmate sort out the sensations tingling over his body. Her head was turned toward him, propped on her arm, as she looked up the length of his body. They were both cooling down, the heat of their play slowly dissipating into the room.

Slowly, Infinity sat up, her hair coiling down to the middle of her back as she moved. Surtr’s eyes focused on her, and she was pleased to see some of the haughty indifference was gone from his face. Not all of it; he wouldn’t be Surtr without that vaguely annoying air of superiority. “So, that experimentation meet your expectations?” she asked, knowing damned well that she’d given him one of the best blow jobs of her young life. And for someone who didn’t have previous experience with a lady’s parts, Surtr had done admirably well.

“Yes, it did,” he assured her, his hand coming to rest on her knee; his thumb gently rubbed her skin. He stilled when she leaned over him, capturing his lips in a firm kiss.

“So,” Infinity purred as she threw a leg over his waist and settled herself on top of him, “ready for the next experiment?”

“I think not.”

Infinity drew back sharply, blinking in surprise. “What?” she asked, red eyes searching his amber ones.

“I am finished,” he said lightly, pulling her gently to the side.

Infinity could have fought him, but she didn’t, sliding off of him and onto the bed. For a moment, she wanted to rage and shout at him – he was being a jackass! No, her fifteen year-old mind knew without hesitation, I’m not pretty enough! That’s why he’s stopping. It’s not him, it’s me.Really?” she snarled, crossing her arms.

“Yes, quite. Thank you for your time,” he said, as if she’d stopped by to admire his butterfly collection.

“Fine,” she snapped, bouncing off the bed and grabbing for her eufiber.

“It was fun,” he told her, as if that’s what she was upset about. “But exploration of Teras isn’t all about sex.”

“No, it’s not, just the fun parts,” the young nova growled, yanking her dress over her head. “I’m gonna go find someone who’ll fuck me. Bye!” She kept up the brave front until she reached the hallway; then the tears started. She managed to keep them silent until she had reached her door, just in case he was listening but once she was safe in her own room, she let go. Collapsing on her bed, she grabbed her pillow and heaved racking sobs into it, venting her pain as only a teenage girl can.

Norman had come into her room and comforted her; she’d passed him in the hall and hadn’t even noticed in her teen melodrama. It had been the last time she’d sought Surtr out. He’d made no effort to come after her either, which only reinforced her opinion of his opinion of her. She’d also cut her hair after that session, opting for a shorter cut. Infinity had been treated with disregard by her fellow nurserymates before, but Surtr had struck a deep chord in his rejection; she’d done as he wanted and he hadn’t reciprocated. Sure, she’d gotten off, but she had thought they’d be having sex, all in the name of exploration. She still remembered the way her heart had begun to pound with excitement when he’d suggested they explore – and she still remembered how much it had hurt after.

First Chang, now Surtr. Hate you too, Universe. Mom and Dad should show up and ignore me to talk to Potential again. That’d complete my night. Infinity’s thoughts were dark and angry, but she smiled with polite aloofness at Surtr. She was the leader of the Cult – and she still felt a surge of pure fear at the thought of all the responsibility that gave her – and she had just called for unity. It seemed childish to treat Surtr the way her vindictive side wanted to treat him. “Thank you,” she said with a polite smile, even if his compliment had also been a back-handed insult. “Nice speech, sucked in comparison to Chang’s, though…” You haven’t changed. “So what have you been doing? Still studying Teras in all its permutations?”

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Studying by doing." he responded with his usual cool detachment, even as the molten colour of his irises gave Infinity an uncomfortable reminder of how very heated his passions could become: hot enough to burn... and leave scars. "I left the cradle a couple of weeks ago, and living in the world is no time for navel-gazing." He tilted his head to one side, the coppery length of his hair shifting like a living thing. "I agree with you about the Nursery: it should not be idly discarded simply for the sake of an ideal. There is no single way that the Children should live, any more than the rest of them. And your proposal for an organised effort to search for a new home for us is visionary."

"Thank you." Infinity said again, bracing herself for the inevitable 'but'. Surtr was mercilessly candid... or at least he had been years ago, brutal in his quietly-expressed opinions and uncaring of what people thought of him for it. But he surprised her, leaning down and kissing the corner of her mouth, smelling faintly of smoke and cologne and the familiar warm, spiced fragrance that was him.

"This is your night." he murmured, lips nearly brushing hers as his eyes filled her vision. "I will not intrude further." He straightened up, his expression still the same mask of cool unconcern, and stepped back, clearly meaning to depart.

Infinity stiffened as Surtr leaned in and kissed her. It was a light kiss, but it set her blood boiling. How dare he kiss me like he had any right to do that! He’d relinquished that right a long time ago, when he’d booted her out of his bed without a care to her feelings. The rage built to impossible level, leaving Infinity nearly shaking with pure anger.

It wasn’t, to be fair, just Surtr. Fear was also in there; fear that she was failing the Cult just by daring to lead them; fear that she was not nearly the nova Mal thought she was. There was the pain of losing Norman; there was the pain of letting go of Norman slowly, relinquishing her childhood crush for reality. There was all the years of ‘not good enough’ and ‘not pretty enough’ and just ‘not enough’. She’d lived under a shadow made of everyone’s opinions of her, including Mal.

Surtr,” she snarled, her hands shaking as she prepared to tell him that he had no right to touch her. He had started to turn away and now he turned back, his eyes widening. For a moment, she knew he was freaking out about the rage on her face, only that didn’t make sense. Even if she attacked him, he was stronger and smarter and wittier than her. There was nothing she could do to hurt him, not the way he’d hurt her with his callousness.

But something was wrong. More people were staring at her. Infinity looked down, suddenly sure she’d lost control of her eufiber and was living the nightmare of no clothing in the middle of the meeting. But it wasn’t her dress they were staring at: it was her. She was glowing.

I’ve seen this scifi movie, she thought. I’m going to explode all over the Teragen. I hope it gives Surtr nightmares. Then she was sucked into the light inside of her.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Alarm was running through the room. Infinity, the one nova you could count on to not violently lose her shit in any meaningful way, was glowing like she was about to go Carrie on the Teragen. More than one nova in the room remembered something mean they’d said to her or about her. Several were trying to leave when Mal appeared in the room.

Deftly, he was just in time to catch the woman as she collapsed, saving her from a fall to the floor. Seconds later, a cocoon sprang up about the unconscious woman, encasing her in strange fibers. Mal grimaced as they tightened around his arms. Scripture asked, “Michael?” his voice terse and tight.

“It doesn’t hurt,” he said, giving his lover a smile. “Just a bit tight.” He smiled down at the cocconed girl. “Come back to us, Infinity,” he said softly, as if his words alone could draw her back from where she'd gone.

Infinity had stood there just after Surtr kissed her, annoyed at the other nova, stressed with the responsibilities she had been given, worried and upset at the responses to her speech, as her quantum surged for a moment, energies and capabilities that existed in potential surged around her in a weird flux that was extreme familiar to those who had experiences with Apotheosis or Chrysalis.. it seemed to be a mix of both together. A quantum coccoon wrapped around the young woman, and for a moment she existed in the true state of her name, Infinity potential existed within her for a long moment, as she was held by the most powerful individual on the planet.

Her power and capabilities were being reshaped by her own personality and desires and as the quantum coocoon faded around her, the woman Divis was holding was far more beautiful and compelling then anyone remembered Infinity ever being, long luxuriousness black locks cascaded down her back, perfect eyelashes blinked against the loveliest red eyes, against skin that was utterly perfect, it was a good thing her eufiber had shifted with her, she wouldn't have fit into her previous dress.. she was beyond human beauty, but it was softer, gentler then the superhuman beauty of those with great degrees of superhuman appearance, she seemed both sexy and adorable, to the point that looking at her one both wanted to fuck her and cuddle her.

There was also a sense of presence to her, again, it didn't quite have the throbbing overwhelming power of high degrees of superhuman presence, but it was beyond anything any human would or could possess, and when she spoke, her voice had a beauty and clarity that she had never had before.. oh, it was Infinity still, that was apparent, but it was Infinity as she had always wished herself.. beautiful, compelling, marvelous.. and yet she seemed unaware of the degree of the change, even as she pulled herself together.

More interesting to those paying attention on the quantum level was how her energy levels spiked, quantum energy flowed around her at a level that no one short of the most powerful Terat's could come close too.. and even then, she eclipsed just about everyone short of Divis himself... and it seemed almost, flexible, that the flow of her quantum energy could reach beyond herself.. to others, and as that observation was made, the surge of quantum energy flowed from her to every nova present, refilling everyone's quantum pools.

Welcome to Apotheosis Infinity

- for everyone else's benefit, she still doesn't have mega's, but her social attributes are at the 9-10 range at this point.. and she has changed in other ways, but that is what is 'clearly' apparent.

Yokiko had been patiently listening as the speeches were made. More than the others, Infinity's had made her smile. She was proud of her old friend for bearing the mantle of leadership and putting forth her own vision of the future, and was on her way to tell her as much herself. Still, Surtr beat her to the punch, So of course the feline featured nova held back, spying Norman...and perhaps the most beautiful nova she'd seen, short of Bombshell. Norman always got the pretty ones. The female whod been on Norman's arm left, and she figured it was a good time to go to him so she wouldn't be distracted.

She made her way there instead, and smiled to Norman. "Surge." Her voice was superhumanly charming, but it was both familiar and friendly. She'd been gone for a year, exploring as she always said she would. Yokiko was a beautiful woman, far beyond what any baseline could hope for, dressed in a eufiber dress made to accent her own fine black on white fur. He ears were relaxed, and lacking any piercings or jewelry. Her tail was coiled around her waist to keep from causing a scene. She looked much the same, still beautifully innocent in many regards, and as she knew, he was among the few who could always see the true shape of her eyes. "Who's this lovely lady you've brought with you? I don't remember ever seeing her at the Nursery."

When she'd called his name, he'd turned back, expecting the anger and resigned to it. He formed the opinion long ago that Infinity had derived almost all her self-worth from sex once it had become plain that her quantum potential would not simply manifest. That was one reason he'd turned her down - the aesthetics one of his friends being dependant on others for affirmation were profoundly ugly to him, and he would not play those games. That she would react with rage was understandable, that she would turn that rage on him rather than on herself was likewise predictable. He didn't mind, really, but he hoped for her sake that she wouldn't make an embarrassment of herself after her earlier triumph.

But she had glowed with more than anger, her eyes blazing with more than mixed-up emotions. Before his eyes she had transformed, reaching her untapped depth and Becoming. In the moment of her godhead, she was Infinity, and he could not see where she ended.

And that was beautiful in a way that mere physical attractions could never match.

Then Mal appeared, catching the girl before her changing form could impact the ground and cradling her in his arms. Eyes like blazing green suns looked up from their ineffably gentle assessment of Infinity's quantum cocoon and regarded the flame-haired youth standing a few feet away, whose face and golden eyes showed neither fear nor awe, but rather an intense interest in the tableau before him. When the cocoon began to fade and melt back into the form it surrounded, all other eyes were on Mal and Infinity as well, gasps and murmurs filling the air in the cavern, but the Father of Teras noted that the same youth merely smiled, a simple expression of delight.

Surtr took a respectful step back as the quantum wave of Infinity's Apotheosis washed over them all, and remained silently watchful as Mal helped the renewed leader of the Cult to her feet.

Star put her Mother out of mind as the scene with Infinity and Surtr had Infinity snarl his name ... and then undergo the most interesting process. Fortunately Star had been honing her perceptions and was able to observe it in detail.

The young Nova who Star considered a friend, if not yet a close friend, was undergoing a form of chrysalis. Fascinating. Star had reached down into the quantum layer with her senses and marveled at the incredible cocoon, now she felt the wave-front of her apotheosis wash over her. Beautiful ...

As most of her mind was occupied with trying to understand precisely what was happening, she found herself smiling gently again with the emotional tension from her mother forgotten. The rest of her was thinking 'Infinity, truly a fitting name. You are a beautiful nova.'

Puck had been headed over towards Infinity and Surtr, with a small spark of anger from the way Surtr had hurt Infinity's feelings while in the Nursery warring with with his own frustrated attraction to the nova. As usual, his protectiveness of Infinity was winner out over either. When she'd said his name and began to glow, Puck set aside courtesy to those around him, flickered into his energy form, and sprinted through the intervening crowd to his friend's side. She was already cocooned and being held gently in Divis Mal's arms by the time he made it to her; he re-solidified and waited the half a breath it took for her to emerge from her Apotheosis. He felt the quantum surging around her and sent out his own awareness, partly in concern and partly in curiosity. What are you becoming, my love?

When the tendrils of her Apotheosis-chrysalis unwound themselves from her, Puck simply smiled.The flow of quantum from her reminded him of his own Apotheosis, but this seemed...more, somehow. He felt refreshed and could sense that at this moment all of the novas gathered here felt the same. Infinity had given them power from herself and they were renewed. Baseline with a node indeed, a snide snippet of thought exalted over all those that had ever teased or derided Infinity for her lack of obvious nova abilities. She was exactly what Mal had proclaimed her in her youth: the Future of Teras. The leader of the cult - hopefully with more sanity than Marcel and more sense than Clarion - and now....he wasn't exactly sure, but he could see in her, sense in her, the potential and the power that the leader of the Teragen had known in her since he first singled her out.

He waited for her to sort herself out, remember how disoriented he had been in the same situation; but, as he had ever been since he'd awakened from his first cocoon, he remained patiently at her side.

Chang inclined her head, listening with patience. Coraline seemed to be busy with whatever it was she was doing. That certainly was an improvement over idleness. She shrugged. “I do not require that sort of validation, but the thought is appreciated nonetheless. I will take validation when I see evidence that my advice has led to a positive result. It seems you and I have landed in a similar position.” She gestured vaguely around. “Now I, too, am in a leadership position, merits regardless.”

“Oh shush,” one of Lucrezia said, “you’re perfect.”

She threw her wife a look of reprove. “To say that you are biased would be a shoe-in for understatement of the year.” Chang left out the complex scheme by which Lucrezia motivated her into this position. It was better that never come to light.

“Biased, and yet right. Could I be more amazing?” Lucrezia performed a pose, showing off her rump. “Oh, maybe if I did this.” She squeezed in her waist a little to further emphasize it.

Chang felt carnal urges stir inside her, but clamped down on them as a man might on a bleeding wound. She needed to be the master of herself here above all places.

That was when Infinity entered her chrysalis.

Chang observed with studied neutrality, but felt the quantum surge of her rebirth as did everyone else. She was not blown away or even awed, though. She had seen the quantum trickery of the children. It was wisdom she wanted to see. Something more concrete than self-indulgence and foolishness, even arrogance at times.

When Infinity made the Cult of Mal worthy of her praise, then she would be impressed.

For now, she simply blinked and wondered whether the girl who so disappointed her on the beach had in this moment become a woman worthy of the respect her transformation would award.

Coraline chuckled behind her hand at Lucrezia and Chang's back and forth, reminded more than a little of the antics of Darrik and his hopefully-someday-soon brides, glad at being able to express her graditude even with the good natured barb she got in return. Constructive critism was something she was developing a thick skin for, and she trusted the Elder Terat to not hurt her if it could be avoided. Even as she assembled a response in her head that wouldn't have her apoligizing out of the gate again, her senses played over the cavern from detail to detail and unique aura to unique aura, hungry and hunting for patterns and meanings. Until she noticed the apothesizing Infinity in the arms of the most powerful Nova in the world, a binary star system of raw quantum energies that forced her to look away from the tangle of energies.

She'd seen and felt this before. Once in a mind-blasting wave of quantum charisma that left her a drooling toady. Again in a trio of quantum surges along Pip's mental link that she felt more than saw. And for a third time now with the right eyes to show her the event in all it's impossible detail. Coraline felt the wave of quantum energy as Infinity restablized swamp her like a greasy wave, probing, prying, saturating her with a sick, feverish warmth until it moved on and left unaturally topping upped reserves in it's wake. Ugh. That was unpleasantly invasive.

The metamorph shook her head and offered at Chang, tone mock blaise, "An emotional gathering for everyone, aparently. But speaking more importantly, has your friend Meh'lindi been able to make any progress with what she observed about my aura last meeting? It has been on the back of my thoughts lately, another hope to have planted the seeds for another project."

“Oooo,” Lucrezia said, “well isn’t this exciting?” One of her slipped out from the back of the pack to get a closer look at the newly-transformed Infinity. “She’s the centre of attention now. Wonder if anyone will remember what she said about the Cult?”

Chang kept her eyes on Infinity, trying to gauge what changes might have come over her. The quantum was rolling off her like a tide, but that was the sum total of the impression she received. “It does not matter either way,” Chang said. “If Infinity lives up to her promise of changing and revitalizing the Cult, then we will have the evidence of our eyes and our hearts to fall back on. If not, this will have been so much blather. Much as my own effort will be if no real discussion of the Nursery takes place. In some ways my creation of the Crèche was an attempt to hedge my bets.”

Coraline was listening, perhaps wondering if Chang was ignoring her for some reason. She spoke up now, though. “What do you mean?”

“I have never thought of myself as a leader,” Chang said. “Rather I have compared myself to Cassandra, she who could see the future with clarity and was never listened to. Despite the energy I put into my speech I have no reason to believe my words will do more than get some backs up. I am in many ways a radical, even amongst my fellow Terats. In the past I was content to speak and be ignored, and then to wait and see if I was right or wrong in the first place.”

“Were you?” Coraline asked, her many chorused voices a study in curiousity. “Wrong, I mean?”

Chang nodded. “Often, yes,” she said.

Lucrezia slid her arms around Chang’s neck, leaning in to kiss her neck. Another of her leaned onto the back of Chang’s chair and turned to Coraline. “As you know, dear, Chang’s a terrible cynic. Nobody likes to hear all the reasons their shiny golden plan is going to come crashing down in flames, but Chang’s one of those people who can’t help but point out all the good and all the bad.”

“As I see it, yes,” Chang said. “Sometimes my cynicism is justified, at other times it is not. The Crèche is a cynical attempt to insure that those Terats who desire to sire their own children can do so, regardless of whether the Teragen as a whole wish for such to occur.”

“Why wouldn’t they?” Coraline asked.

“You should ask Infinity that. She’s the one born and raised there. Or your dear Norman. Which brings us, in a roundabout way, back to your actual question,” Chang said. She then turned to Lucrezia. “And you were naughty to interrupt.” Along several rows of seats, Chang reshaped the supports to give a more sensuous curve to Lucrezia’s spine. With her typical elegance, she altered her posture in those bodies to be even more desirable and beautiful. It’s like a row of pews set out for a choir rehearsal, Chang thought of the little arrangement she had made.

Coraline said nothing. Maybe she was worried about derailing them again.

“I am led to believe Meh’Lindi has made some progress, yes,” Chang said. “Science is not my strong suit, you would be better suited speaking to her directly on the subject. Certainly she has not worked out a way to directly interact with or two harness it. Now Zia has returned,” she said, nodding at the distant shape of The Apothecary on the other side of the room, “I expect he’ll be getting access to all of her research and findings to date. I know she’s leveraging all of her resources on efforts to learn more about Qi Meng to give her better leads on the nature of the energy in question. When last we talked she was excited.”

“She always is when she’s got something science-y to do,” Lucrezia said from somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Chang nodded. “It does not mean she has made progress, though. Science can be a slow beast even in the Nova age. She said that she was going to approach Starseed about the matter at some point, but I don’t know if she has done so yet.”

Darrik had intended to converse with Infinity when the red-haired Terat second-gen had gotten there first, so he had kept back. Infinity's outburst stunned him, or rather the stunned Chrysalis that had formed. Aside from the happiness that she was stepping forward to some responsibility now, and properly rewarded for that step, he found a curiosity in the cocoon. So that was what he wound be stepping towards. Beautiful.

Even as he came out, he stayed back. There were more luminaries in the scene, and he had no interest being flooded by those gushing sycophants who would try to cover up the disdain not long ago. This was merely nothing less than what he, Puck and other friends had been seeing all along, the potential for. Now Infinity could put it to use.

Yokiko noted the stir, then the flood of quantum from Infinity, and watched mute and in a mild form of awe at Infinity's transformation. That Divis had involved himself directly didn't surprise her at all, he'd always favored Infinity. Finally she found words, and smiled. "Way to go, Infinity." her words were a lost whisper amidst the throng, though she knew Norman had of course heard them.

The Teragen, like all intelligent life, loved a good show, and even if the Ugly Duckling was a human fairy-tale, it was a story that meshed well with the group. The mislaid swan, meant for better things, reviled and rejected for the crime of being what he was until he bloomed into his destiny and found his own people – it all rang so close to the Teragen’s story. Infinity was a microcosm of that story – if you overlooked that the ducks that had been haranguing her had largely been other Terats.

Unsteadily she took a step on her own, her eyes scanning the room. People were looking at her with… something she’d never seen directed at her before. Most of the people around were fellow Cultists, many of whom had just arrived since she’d come to again. They looked awed – that was the word. Awed, as if she had done something amazing. Of course, she was still glowing. Someone wolf-whistled; the noise was followed by someone else clapping the whistler on the back of the head. When Infinity’s eyes fell on Puck, she held out her hand for him. He came to her, and she put an arm against him for support. Mal kept his arm around her as well and Infinity relaxed in the arms of her two favorite men. She opened her mouth and the group watching leaned forward to catch the reborn nova’s first words: “What the fuck just happened? I feel like I was… fuck I don’t even know what that felt like.”

Mal laughed, a hardy, happy noise that sent tingles down every spine. “Apotheosis, Infinity, and only you could put that so crudely,” he told her. His hazel eyes danced merrily as he took a step back and let the Cult swarm around her.

“Oh god, Infi!” Sunset threw her arms around her, bubbling with excitement. “I’m so happy for you!”

“Yeah, thanks,” Infinity said, smiling. Apotheosis? What did she manifest? Suddenly, she realized her voice sounded funny – better but funny. Her arm tightened around Puck as she looked up at him. “Is there anything apparent? Anything obvious?”

“Well, you won’t need a light to read by anymore,” he told her with a grin.

“Funny,” Infinity said, but she was giggling when she said it. She held up a hand, watching the glow for a moment. She glanced over as she put a finger on his cheek. She was pleased to see that his skin still glowed purple. “Thank god I’m still a black light, too.”

Her eyes fell on Surtr then and her smile slipped. Disentangling herself from Puck and Sunset, she walked over to the taller nova. She caught him by the arm and hissed into his ear, “You don’t get to kiss me anymore, got it? You lost that right a long time ago.” She dropped to her heels again and was smiling as she gazed up at him. “But you are welcome to come to any of the Cult meetings that you’d like to attend. We have a lot of plans in motion and I’d love your insight. Who knows? Maybe you’ll like us enough to join, even.” Her smile was friendly and polished, and there was no hint of the anger he’d seen earlier. But she had laid out very clearly the boundaries she was imposing on him.

"Anything is possible." Surtr allowed quietly, amber eyes holding her gaze. "I would certainly be interested in seeing how you reshape the Cult and your plans unfold." He paused for a moment, then went on. "The kiss was a gesture of friendship, nothing more: I apologise for giving offense. Be certain it will not happen again." There was no hint of bitterness or sharpness in Surtr's melodious voice, merely a sincere statement. He glanced at those waiting nearby, then smiled faintly at Infinity.

"I am currently working at a small place in Rio called the Open Flame." he confided, a small quirk of his lips letting her know he found the name amusing. "As a point of contact, it should suffice if you want to send me an invitation to a meeting." He shrugged. "Otherwise, it would likely be best to leave a message at the Blackburn. I can check there weekly." Infinity nodded, and Surtr stepped back, nodding his head respectfully to her.

"Enjoy your night, as I said before." he told the newly-empowered girl. "There are many who wish a moment of your time. Such is the price of power and the duty of leadership." He gave her a sincere, warm smile, a flash of expression that faded to a curve of the lips, then turned to move off into the throng.

Coraline pondered Chang's words as the happy babble of the Terragen feted their newest light, literal as the term was in this case. That seemed like *alot* of quantum she was putting out, Node only knew what Infinity could and would do with it.

"I'll be sure to ask Meh'Lindi if she needs any further help from me before Norman and I leave. I've been progressing in my studies since last time, learned a few new katas, and anything I can do, safely, to help novas control their taint instead of them being controlled by it, I'd like to be able to contribute to. We all have to live together in this universe, after all, philosophical differences aside," she volunteered, casting a fraction of her attention about for the scientist, "For what's it's worth, *I* thought your speech had a few good points worth paying attention to. Or at least think about acting on. My parents raised me the best they could, same with my foster siblings, and they left their marks on all of us, for good and ill. The Nova family and how to support it for the good of parent *and* child is a question we need to think about. I know my parents faced challenges raising me no Baseline book could help with, challenges I'm experiencing by proxy with the children we've rescued."

She paused for thought, expression complicated, "The Baseline model of the family may be where we start, but it can't be where we stop. The future health and happiness of Novakind is too important for us to be that lazy."

The metamorph smiled again, "I've taken to flesh sculpting in my freetime, myself and volunteers in my family. Nothing permanent or easily repeatable, but a new medium I'm enjoying. It's... liberating in it's way."

Sakura had listened to the speeches, Caroline sitting next to her and Darion and a Lucrezia flanking the two of them. Most of Chang's words she had heard before and what she hadn't filed away to think on later. She usually had to think on things Chang said for a while before she could really understand it and feel like she could make good decisions about it. Caroline seemed similarly engrossed, arching a brow at one point, but also smiling and shaking her head. If The Mirror Queen was good at anything, it was sparking debates. Infinity's speech had fewer fireworks in it, but it surprised her more than Chang's. She knew there was a great deal of history she was missing that would probably put a hundred layers of context on what the red-eyed girl was saying, but even so, she seemed passionate and heartfelt.

When the room broke up into general conversation after the two speeches, Caroline kissed her on the cheek and went to mingle. Everywhere she moved, other Terats made way for her or stopped to listen to her softly spoken words. Darion reclaimed his chair next to Sakura and for a time they were in a strange quiet spot within the room. Sakura's pregnancy might be fascinating or heartening to many there, but it was barely a blip after the words spoken by the leader of the new Anavasi and the new leader of the Cult of Mal.

When Infinity entered her Apotheosis-Chrysalis, Sakura managed to catch a brief sight of the forming cocoon before curious Terats closed in around the girl. The reappearance of Mal and the flush of quantum that flowed through the room told her that something important, something grand had happened, but she had no idea what. She glanced between her two escorts; Lucrezia had lifted her head above the crowd to see what was going on, so she asked Darion. "Do you know what's going on? That girl, Infinity, she looked like....I don't know. Like she was being covered in something. Do you think she's okay?"

Divis Mal stood up in the center of the room, rose up into the air so that all could see him as he spoke, and such was the clarity, power and focus of his words, he had everyone's attention. "It seems that our dear Infinity has put a rather important punctuation to this gathering, I suggest you all consider what Chang and Infinity have said and done as of late, as a movement, we are changing, becoming something more, something greater then what we were.. years ago, in another gathering, I expressed disappointment in the limited vision of my fellows within Teragen, it seems that some of you have begun to rise above that, to look further then this year, or even this decade to much longer considerations. Now, before our interruption by the lovely young woman, I believe that Surge was going to speak.. I don't believe he intended to say too much, but what he had to say was important."

Divis looked over at Norman gave Yokiko a momentary smile, and in a quieter tone then the one he was about use responded to her "This is my lady, Cora, and while I've love to catch up with you, but it seems it's my turn to speak."

He then stood up to begin to speak and his voice took on a much more powerful and compelling tone "I have no long speeches to make, as Infinity and Chang have made, but I speak for the Children of Teras, we have made a choice to support Anavasi as it's forming and we shall support Infinity in her endeavor to restructure the Cult to a new path.. some of us are drawn to one of the other of the remaining factions, and such is well and good, but I have a few things to say of them, one of the reasons we are looking to Anavasi is that much of what we find among the rest of you seems to be losing relevance as we move forward. It is not that I discount some of the other groups that have formed, it is that they seem more dealing with what we were then what we are becoming. The Mirror Queen has called us tribes or clans, and perhaps that is not an incorrect designation for the long term, perhaps a shape of a future society, but have any of you considered what you will become in a decade, century or even in a millennium?" He paused for a moment, both for effect and to give the gathered nova's a chance to think about what he was saying.

"The stars, the universe and beyond is our legacy, earth is out cradle, our womb, but it is not our destiny.. that is all I have to say, but I believe Puck has some important points to make." Eyes shifted to the third 2nd generation terat in the gathering with that.

Chang restrained her sigh with a small exertion of willpower. “We are not controlled by our taint, Caroline. I will give you the unearned benefit of the doubt, however, and assume you were referring to non-Terats.”

Several of the Lucrezias nodded and looked between one another, muttering ‘Yes, that was what she meant’ and ‘oh of course, she couldn’t possibly be given everyone in the room a backhanded insult for the fiftieth time’ ‘and counting’. Though the one nearest to Coraline just said, “Of course she was. That or she meant to say ‘present company accepted’. Actually, Ms. Boehm, you should learn that phrase. If you’re going to insist on being a social bull in the china shop you could benefit from a few basic manners and built-in efforts not to piss off everyone in your vicinity. After all, us Terats are so famously forgiving and even of temperament.” She gave a hearty belly laugh.

Chang gave her a backhanded slap on the breast, which made her bite her tongue in a positively dirty manner. “Enough of that,” she said. “And the rest of you,” she said to the others. “And besides, it’s not as if her paramour is any better. Are you, Norman?” She raised her voice a fraction when she said those words, and glanced past Coraline to the glowing young paragon. Unlike Coraline, he had the good graces to look a touch awkward and abashed.

Coraline looked back to Norman and then turned to Chang with a raised eyebrow. “Have I missed something?”

“Yes, your darling committed a rather severe faux-pas that I’ve been torturing him with of late,” Chang said. Her four voices were as smooth and beautiful as ever, yet mild as a summer breeze. “Ask him about it if you like. His secret will remain safe for another day.” Though not much longer than that. Now that Chang put a voice to it, everybody listening to her talk with Coraline – and Chang could feel at least eighty Novas listening in at that moment – would try to find out more.

“I’ll ask him later,” Coraline said, smiling.

Chang wondered what in particular the girl found amusing. She guessed it would be a mixture of surprise at the idea of her perfect lover making a basic etiquette error and Chang’s own stodginess on the subject. It was hard not to seem old when you put such value on things as intangible as protocol.

“In honesty I do not believe that the baseline family structure will suffice for Novas. My objection to the Nursery lies more in the unilateral nature of its creation than in the specifics of its practice. But as Infinity was so predictably quick to point out, I’ve not had a child of my own yet. As if that has even the slightest bearing on the validity of the message,” she said, and gave a disapproving shake of her head. It was that sort of behaviour that made her despair of their ‘next generation’. The Teragen’s descent into pointless bickering began with people disregarding each other’s messages out of personal dislike, just as it did for baselines. No doubt Infinity harboured some lingering ill-feelings after their encounter on the beach. Puck never used the word ‘petty’ when speaking of his friend, but it was there between the lines of his words. Grow up, young one. Grow up fast, or the Cult of Mal will be far worse under your leadership than it ever was under The Apostle’s.

“Regardless,” she said, “thank you for the note of support. Take those points of interest away with you and raise them with your companions and family. That is all I ask. If I am wise, I want my wisdom shared as much as possible. If I am a fool, I want as many people as possible to know so they can correct me.”

Chang using That Creepy Feeling to guesstimate the number of people listening to her; I figure it’s a decent number given what she’s just had to say and such

Darion was one of a few who were not left reeling by the sheer force of Chang’s personality. Holy fuck balls, she put a lot into that one. Her words were like one of those songs you hear once but can never get out of your head. Key lines kept floating through his thoughts, weaving into and out of everything else he attempted to consider.

Infinity’s own attempt was filled with passion, but it lacked the grace, the charm, and the quantum grunt to stick. He got the raw message, though. Cult of Mal new. Cult of Mal not evil. Go Cult. He pictured her in a cheerleading uniform. It did not help much.

In truth Darion was indifferent about the Cult. Even with The Apostle in charge it was a mixture of funny little Terats bleating like Catholic Crusaders circa 1600 AD and a few batshit crazy Terats running the show. He never thought of the Cult as a worm crawling around in the belly ready to bring the entire Teragen crashing down the way Chang did. But then Darion’s wife was a devout follower of Shinto while she lived. Chang was an atheist and he guessed had been her entire life.

If you don’t know faith, you don’t trust faith, he mused. Then Infinity entered chrysalis.

There was a good chance people would have remembered some of her speech up until that, he thought. Afterwards, Darion doubted anybody cared save the real political pundits like himself. The information would be a decent sell for the people curious about the new direction of the Cult, for sure.

Lucrezia began to warp and shift, distorting and elongating herself to get a better view, as well as liquefying a clone and oozing her way over to get a ground’s eye perspective.

He turned to Sakura when she spoke. “You’ve never met Infinity, I see. She’s never okay. The one Nova to whom God gave a node but no powers, and believe me she was always keen to make sure we knew about it. Bullied for it in The Nursery, too,” he said, glancing back over at the growing throng around her. “That’s all fixed now, though. She gets to be a superstar like everybody else. That there was the apotheosis, as it’s been termed. Infinity just grew into her powers. Happens to all the kids sooner or later,” he said, and gestured over at Puck. “You met Puck at the meeting. He used to be a lot less… shiny about a month ago. Then he did more or less what she did and hey presto, we have ourselves Puck two-point-oh, shinier edition. I can see him smiling from here. He totally knows I’m right.” Darion gave Puck a wave, and Puck flipped him off, though with a knee-weakening grin.

Darion smiled at Sakura. “You know, I think I can grow into my role as a cantankerous old man. Give me a walking stick and I’m good to go. As for Infinity, she ought to be wobbly for a day or two, and then start making stars explode or whatever the cool Nova kids do these days.” If what the files say about Infinity is accurate, he thought, ‘have lots and lots of sex’ is probably a reasonable guess.

So many thoughts about 'our' destiny. Surtr thought to himself as he slowly moved with the flow of the crowd, working his way to it's edges and taking a seat once more up near the top of the amphitheatre. We will leave Earth, we will do this, we will do that. He felt a trifle irritated, as though by an itch he could not scratch in a way that would not simply cause more itching, and leaned forwards in his seat to rest his chin on his palms, brooding as he watched the floor show.

And one faction declares support for another, and the Children of Teras are dragged into the politics of their elders. Does declared support really *matter*? If we really share commonality, then why even factionalise? Yet we... they... stand on a stage and beat their breast, everyone saying something different and yet... and yet... little that is new. And Mal looks on, as usual, and I wonder what he thinks of this. The more we change, the more we stay the same. Narcosis and Shrapnel and the Mathematician become more and more irrelevant as the politics change, and it is a matter of time before the old is swept away. Chang makes her rallying cry for the Elders to step up... but they are increasingly irrelevant. She, perhaps, is one of the ones with any relevance at all. One Race, indeed. Some of you I love, some of you I respect... But I am not of your One Race. No one speaks for me... His eyes found Mal, the terrible angel, and noted that the impossibly perfect face was turned up towards where he sat. Surtr felt a thrill of something akin to fear under that gaze.

Not even you, Divis Mal. he thought at that figure on the cavern floor, wondering if Divis could hear his thoughts, wondering if Divis even cared. Why should you speak for me, when you would permit no-one to speak for you without your leave? I claim the same privilege. I may be nothing as to you, but it is MY nothing.

The blazing emerald gaze moved on, having only rested on him for a second, if that long, and Surtr dismissed the thought that Mal had read his mind. Why would he? And if he had, then what of it? The thoughts were no less valid in their defiance. He found his dark mood settling somewhat as Norman finished speaking, then motioned to Puck. Surtr settled back on his seat, losing the brooding air as he recommenced to watch and listen impassively. He was at least learning in this meeting. Every speech had possessed at least some core of the fire of truth and passion. This was not a total loss.

Sakura frowned, missing the non-verbal exchange between Darion and Puck. "That's not what happened to me. I mean, the..." she motioned around her arm in the same pattern that the chrysalis cocoon had formed. She didn't seem to realize that she'd just told Darion that she was also a second generation nova. "There wasn't anything like that. Just...a-a flush of quantum during..." she blushed. "Uh, a build up of quantum and then a-a release..." she blushed even deeper, but pushed on, "...and then things were different. It took a little while to figure the...the not-immediate changes, the new things that I could do."

She looked away, getting her color back under control. When she turned back she was literally several shades darker, which hid her blush more. She grinned at him, but there was still an undercurrent of embarrassment and concern. "And if you want a cane, I can grow you one. With little figures of old men yelling at kids on his lawn on it and everything."

Coraline hadn't looked awkward or abashed because what she was was *angry*, a tightly controlled flame she hid behind a photoshoot-trained smile. Of course the Teragen controlled their taint and not the other way around. That was obvious. So she hadn't stated it. And gotten verbally slapped for that relaxed honesty and not putting on airs over an honest desire to help. Fine then. She knew when to cut her losses and salve her wounds.

"I'll look forward to doing this again. Speaking with you is always very educational, Mrs. Chang, if an exercise in learning the need to state the obvious in sensitive situations," volunteered the metamorph as she rose from her seat, not quite able to conceal all her anger at the perceived nitpicking, departing from the mirror queen's funhouse mirror court of multiple copies of her wife, a graceful, beautiful thunderhead waiting for a time and a place to unload it's payload. She forged her way through the crowd of Terats, cooling by inches away from an imediate blast by the time she reached Norman and Stargazer, back to the old track and dismiss pattern of spot checks as her sixth sense picked up further considering gazes.

"Norman," she began when she drew close enough to mold against the blue-skined paragon to draw upon his unflapability, chorus slightly disonant, white-on-black eyes giving the tiger-furred Terat a once over, "Will you introduce me to your friend?"

The dissonant voices surprised her almost as much as the newcomer's beauty. "Breathtaking." She managed after a few moments of her own appraisal. Her tastes were generally known, and respected by most. Still to be confronted with such beauty, well she was certainly blushing beneath her fur, and smiled. "How rude of me. "I'm Yokiko, or Stargazer, depending on who you ask." She smiled revealing slightly longer canine teeth, and nodded. "You most certainly can call me Yokiko though."

She had an air of shy innocent Naievite, and nodded with a friendly smile.

Puck gave Norman a slightly startled look at his words, having been completely derailed from any thoughts of the actual meeting by Infinity's Apotheosis. Most of the chamber had quieted at least, though many conversations were still whispered between friends and politicians as Infinity became an actual player in Teragen politics, both as the new head of the Cult of Mal and the third of the Nursery to rise to their adult inheritance of their nova parentage. He gave her another glance, but she seemed to be adapting fine, if her hissed anger at Surtr was any indication.

"Well, most of what I have to say is nowhere near as inciting or exciting as what's already been said." He gave Infinity one of his infectious grins, "Or has happened. Mostly, I want to echo one thing that all three speakers have said before me: it's time to get off our asses as a family and start implementing the philosophies and grand ideas we've been debating and arguing over since novas first began appearing. To that end, I'm willing to offer my own assistance: I can search for worlds for us to claim as our own. Even enough for each of our clans, such as they are, to have an entire planet or section of the universe to play in on their own if they don't feel like playing with the rest of us anymore. It'll take some time, and I do have other responsibilities to attend as well, but it can be done for those that wish it. Once worlds are located, I can move novas and their belongings there; anything else that's needed can be negotiated with those that can provide them. I have some resources, but that can be discussed on a case-by-case basis."

"Realize, though, that intergalactic space is far larger than large and most acceptable destinations are likely to be one way, at least until technology makes some specific breakthroughs or more novas develop or come forward with travel capabilities of similar magnitudes." He shrugged, "I'm willing to make some back and forth's as I have time, but it could be years between trips depending on too many things to go into right now."

He looked at Norman and Infinity, then back to the gathered Terats. "They're right. Earth is a womb or even a children's playground. We've become giants in a world made of glass and straw. Ignoring the issue of the worth of baselines for a moment, there's all the baggage of simply everything that's gone on here before we came along. It clings to us, like a collar around the neck, and we'll never be truly free of it until we have places of our own. History of own. I'm not advocating a total evacuation of Earth, but we need to stretch ourselves in ways that we can't do shackled to one planet and the morass of relics of the past six or seven thousand years of the race that we evolved from."

"That's my big speech and announcement. If anyone is interested, come talk to me here once we're out of the speeches and announcements phase of the meeting or come by any Exalt! building. They can get in contact with me and we can set up a meeting time if I'm not immediately available. Oh, and if you can't play nice with baselines, then get in contact with me through nova channels." His tone implied all sorts of unpleasantness for anyone that decided that toying with or harming Exalt! members was a good way of getting his attention.

He glanced at the other Pantheon members and then to the rest of the Teragen. "Unless there are questions for me that are pertinent to the Teragen as a movement and as a whole?"

The dissonant voices surprised her almost as much as the newcomer's beauty. "Breathtaking." She managed after a few moments of her own appraisal. Her tastes were generally known, and respected by most. Still to be confronted with such beauty, well she was certainly blushing beneath her fur, and smiled. "How rude of me. "I'm Yokiko, or Stargazer, depending on who you ask." She smiled revealing slightly longer canine teeth, and nodded. "You most certainly can call me Yokiko though."

She had an air of shy innocent Naievite, and nodded with a friendly smile.

"It's no rudeness at all, I just got back from my own diversion, and we haven't had a chance to meet before, Yokiko, even in passing in the Rainbow Room," Coraline answered, on much surer ground here and eager to forgive someone else's mistep in a way she hers hadn't been. The other girl reminded her of Pip, in apperance and in manner, and that made her sad in a way. Puck's speech and the continued of the theme of retreat from Earth was noted, filed away for further thought.

She continued on, chorus of voices steadying, noting the blue star pattern in her eyes that hinted at the familarly named Terat's real eye color and offering a hand in greeting, "Coraline Boehm, model and aspiring activist. I overheard Norman telling you the first part, but the second might be new information, I think."

The metamorph chuckled and smiled, squeezing Norman's arm affectionately, looking up to ask for his contribution to the conversation before focusing her smile at Yokiko, "So what do you do keep yourself busy and happy, if keeping busy makes you happy?"

She smiled at the attention, "I've been in space for the last year, charting stars and planets, seeing how far my abilities would take me, and where." She shrugged. "The data I gathered might be of some use, Though I imagine Puck's comments about his own abilities and all render what I've done mostly moot." There was a touch of sadness to her voice.

"Still, I'm home now, come to see friends and family." she smiled. "You're certainly beautiful enough to be a model, you must cause the men on the set alot of the same issues Bombshell always has."

Infinity was kinda glad when the attention was removed from her. It made relaxing a bit easier, and god knows that she didn’t mind staring at Norman. The image was even better because Coraline wasn’t in it, which was petty. Infinity didn’t mind being petty; she was known for it in some circles. She’d rather be hated for the truth than loved for a lie.

She listened to Norman and Puck, and when Puck was done she sidled up to him. “We need to talk about spheres, when you get a chance,” Infinity said as she wagged her eyebrows at him in an exaggerated fashion.

“You know I’ll always talk about my spheres with you,” Puck told her with an impish grin.

Infinity linked her arm through his, putting her head on his shoulder. “I’ll remember,” she whispered suddenly to him. He glanced down at her, his expression inviting her to continue. “I’ll remember how you treated me before I Apotheosized. So now that I’m shaking the heavens, I won’t forget the little guy.” They laughed together as Puck put an arm around her. Thing was, she didn’t feel that much different…

"Not *just* the men," replied Coraline lightly with a laugh, "But at least there haven't been obvious problems like at the ones I shared with Maia and Marina. They had to cycle crews in and out of those shoots on 20 minute intervals and still they had accidents. It's occasionally very sobering to see how much control we as Novas have to exercise to avoid hurting people at times, how fragile baselines can be one-to-one. Makes gatherings like this all the nicer where I can relax and be myself. Well mostly myself."

That last bit was said with an annoyed glance in the direction of the Mirror Queen and her wives, expression smoothing by the time she offered supportively, the ghost of Pip dancing in her thoughts, "Puck just seems to want to be helpful and even he can't be everywhere at once. There *is* alot of everywhere to be in. Just try to be better than the person *you* were yesterday, beat that person or at least try to, and you can consider the day a victory. Find anything that stands out as a second home if the Baselines decide to try and drive us out of the solar system and we decide to go?"

"I've not heard those names before." She did follow fashion trends, at least as much as she could, and she was a year out of date. It was no surprise there were new nova models she didn't recognize. "That must have been very hectic, and tiring, having to hurry up and wait so often."

She looked to Puck, noting he had her arm around Infinity, and there was a flash of something in her eyes, a slight tightening at the corners of her mouth. "No one can be everywhere at once, though there are some novas are almost able to pull it off I imagine. He's certainly got a following, as always."

She nodded. "I found many things in my journey, Coraline. Some inhabitable worlds, more than I expected. Whether they're viable for colonization, well that's something I didn't have the equipment or inclination to determine fully." She smilled. "I wanted to see at least some timy fraction of what's out there."

“I think she’s pissed,” Lucrezia said as Coraline went off.

“Her ignorance is tiresome,” Chang replied mildly. “Simple ignorance I can forgive but wilful ignorance I cannot. I believe she’s guilty of the latter. When she improves her learning such comments will neither be needful nor fair, and they will not be made.”

Lucrezia rubbed up against her in twenty plus places at once, leaning on her arm on one side, adjusting her posture across her other seats. “I see critical Chang turned up today. I suppose it’s not much of a surprise given the speech you gave. What happens now? Infinity’s looking prettier. Not as pretty as me, of course,” she said with a lustful smile.

“Few people are, even these days, and none are to me. As for what happens,” she shrugged, “nothing for me. I have said my piece. Now I listen, and then I leave. The Anavasi and Infinity’s new Cult of Mal are the main talking points so far. So long as people are talking I am pleased.”

“Oh, we want people talking about us now, do we?” Lucrezia said. “What happened to the ‘mysterious, reclusive Chang Zha-Yang’?”

“She got a job.”

Chang listened to Coraline, Infinity, Puck and everyone else, still drawing conclusions, still putting together an impression of this day and its events and her part in them. Now was her final crucible. She was a leader in her own right, put in the position of negotiating and speaking on behalf of her adherents. She would approach it the way she approached everything else, with unrelenting determination and dedication to her own philosophy and beliefs.

It seems we’re all growing up tonight, she mused, looking over at Infinity. I wonder if we’ll all come out of it better than we were before. Chang made no assumptions about her own worth as an advisor and leader. This was new to her, and she would make mistakes. Perhaps she had done so already. And when I do, I will suffer for them. I pray that others do not do so as well.

Darion looked over to Sakura with a look of mild surprise on his face. That’s interesting. “You’re second generation?”

Sakura nodded. “Yes.”

“Oh. Congratulations?”

“Thank you?”

“You’re welcome. Well now I know you’re hiding something from me. If you’re post apotheosis, no way do your powers extend to being exceptionally pretty and clever. Though I suppose there is the life manipulation. Terat kids are different to other Nova children. What you saw there is a mini-chrysalis in action. Not the real deal, but the same in principle. It’s the culmination of Teras. Chang’s done it twice,” he said, nodding at the form of Chang sitting with one of Lucrezia at the head of the pews.

“Is that why she’s so…”

“Different?” He smiled. The look mixed genuine fondness and refreshed curiousity. “Yes. It’s why all the elders are. There’s a theory that the kids can channel taint better than us old crotchety elders. Not confirmed yet, of course. Given how obsessive the Cult of Mal’s always been about the philosophy, I reckon we may find out for real from Infinity before long. Oh and I’ll have that cane, please. I look forward to shouting ‘get awf mah lawwwwn’ at Puck in particular.”

“Why Puck in particular?”

“Because he’s game for it and always responds. Plus he’s three and I’m nearly fifty.”

"I've not heard those names before." She did follow fashion trends, at least as much as she could, and she was a year out of date. It was no surprise there were new nova models she didn't recognize. "That must have been very hectic, and tiring, having to hurry up and wait so often."

She looked to Puck, noting he had her arm around Infinity, and there was a flash of something in her eyes, a slight tightening at the corners of her mouth. "No one can be everywhere at once, though there are some novas are almost able to pull it off I imagine. He's certainly got a following, as always."

She nodded. "I found many things in my journey, Coraline. Some inhabitable worlds, more than I expected. Whether they're viable for colonization, well that's something I didn't have the equipment or inclination to determine fully." She smilled. "I wanted to see at least some timy fraction of what's out there."

"I get on well enough with those two. A long day, but not unpleasant by any means," responded the metamorph with an infectious grin, white pupils dancing with amusement at the memories, "Not that I'm ungrateful enough to complain about being able to do it. It beats negative attention like so many of our generation suffered and continue to suffer. The Baseline Powers That Be want to exterminate or enslave us. And that fact makes the work of people like you so important, every single one of you. Not a withdrawal, not before we've tried to win a peace, but sanctuaries away from the conflict for those of us without access to a Nursery for families to laugh and learn in if they want it. Happy families are the most important thing we can win, after all, the root of everything else good we can acheive."

Her chorus hummed with belief, honest zeal tinged with anger at the omnipresent Aeon Society and it's puppets who had done so much to destroy that concept for Novakind. Stolen hope and a future from most of them. They would not be let off lightly if at all.

Yokiko smiled. "It's not work, not if you enjoy it." She nodded as she continued. "I knew my mother, not my father. Bounty, Scripture, and Mal worked wonders with all of us. I can't thank them enough for what they did, and how they allowed us the freedom to explore on our own. And you, Your family, is it a happy one, Coraline?"

Sakura blinked and glanced over at the spiky-haired nova. "Puck's three? Years old?" Darion nodded and Sakura muttered, "Well, that explains some things."

Darion's own age hardly seemed to register with her, but after a moment her brow knit. "'My powers don't extend to being exceptionally pretty or clever'...I'm not sure if I should take that as insulting?"

Darion rolled his eyes and pointed at Puck and then at Darrik. "Those are nova pretties. And don't let Puck's 'fuck anything that's got a hole' attitude fool you. His IQ is off the charts made for novas and he could probably have the whole cavern singing 'I'm a little tea pot', including the dance, if he felt like it." He considered for a moment, "Well, probably not Chang. Maybe not the rest of the Pantheon. But us mere minions? We wouldn't even think it was odd."

"You kids, you're born with some taste of your powers, but apotheosis? It's like Chrysalis and eruption all wrapped together and shot up with AmpWells just for good measure." He leaned in closer to her, "Which means, young lady, that you've been holding out on me."

She shrugged and tried to hide her grin. "You didn't ask."

“Infinity!” The shout had Infinity’s head snapping around as a small form arced over the crowd. The girl laughed as her brother seized her around the waist and hugged her tightly.

She returned the hug, grinning. “I didn’t think you’d be here!” she exclaimed, pulling him tight.

“They brought those of us who were old enough and who could behave,” Potential explained. “This is a pretty safe place, with all of the Teragen here. And Mal. No one’s gonna do anything with him here.” He rested his head on her. “Besides, I really miss you.”

“Aw, I miss you too,” Infinity said, hugging him again. Leaving the Nursery had meant leaving Potential, and Infinity sometimes wished her brother had aged as fast as Surtr. “You causing trouble?”

“I’m not you,” he reminded her. “Say, you ok? I saw what you did.”

“I’m fine,” she assured him.

At that, Potential turned to Puck and offered a hand. “Hey, Puck. How’s it going? You keepin’ an eye on her?”

Yokiko smiled. "It's not work, not if you enjoy it." She nodded as she continued. "I knew my mother, not my father. Bounty, Scripture, and Mal worked wonders with all of us. I can't thank them enough for what they did, and how they allowed us the freedom to explore on our own. And you, Your family, is it a happy one, Coraline?"

"Happy enough for any person to be satisfied, Yokiko, despite the inivtable problems of a foster family put together from those who lost everything to the Motherhunters or were given away just before the jaws of the Aeon Society snapped down on their loved ones," the metamorph answered easily, part of her attention fixing on Darrik and his vein of twisting quantum scarring for a heartbeat of consideration, "So I've had enough of both fear and security to know the effect of both, and how love can make eiether situation better. All I can do is my best, ask others to do their best with me, and hope that it makes it better in the end, shift the balance of the world that the next generation of Novas won't need Nurseries to grow up healthy and happy. Give Nova families the choice of an existence other than one hidden from the rest of the world if they don't want one. Or worlds as the case may be by then."

There was a content, solemnity to her chorus, painful memories accepted for what they were. Even the burning dread of Uncle Shen's looming prophecy was soothed by Norman's presense enough to not overtly disturb her renewing serenity. And Stargazer was pleasant enough to trust, if not trust with the secret of her fledgling efforts just yet.

Yokiko nodded. "Do not leave it to hope and faith. If you are not strong enough, grow stronger. If that is not enough, seek others of like mind and heart."

"It sounds like you've already done that though. "You speak with an aged tone beyond your years, Coraline. You're trying to bear the weight of the burden you've taken up alone, and that's never a good strategy. I've not met any who can manage it. Even Divis Mal has Scripture to confide in. You've had bad experiences, I can tell." She reached out, almost shyly and squeezed her shoulder. "A friend to Norman can always count themselves among my friends, and if you wish simply to talk to someone who's not involved about everything, I'll be here for you."

She smiled softly, even as she tried to hide her arousal, as she knew that for what it was, and was trying hard to make a positive impression.

She didn't hide it very well, not from someone of Coraline's perceptiveness. The metamorph's eufiber gown shimmered in a wave of visual laughter, good-natured and lighter than the heavy talk of not-to-much earlier. Still, she returned the smile, reminded more than ever of her vanished sibling Epiphany.

"I just might take you up on that offer from time to time, presuming you have a phone number I can get out of you. My siblings and allies are supportive as anything I could ask for, but they are neck deep in the problem, too," her chorus answered, one hand reaching to squeeze Stargazer's arm in thanks for the gesture before moving a fraction of a step backwards out of the intimacy, "Another outside perspective would be nice, besides that of Norman here, romantic support that he is."

Yokiko flushed under her fur, and nodded, providing a secret number she maintained for contacts, and nodded. "It's nice to have met you Coraline." She looked over to Infinity. "I need to go check up on Infinity too, but I may come back, if you don't mind my company."

Watching from the sidelines quickly palled. The mass of Terats politicking, flirting and murmuring about the speeches tonight was nothing new, despite the subject matter. He could go down and mingle, but saw little worth in doing so, especially with Pedro here. The Mathematician was Sphinx enough to innately use anyone he interacted with as part of some scheme, and Surtr wanted none of his 'fathers' schemes. Pedro Santiago wanted something from him, he felt instinctively. There was an urge to control born of unease, bordering on fear, that the red-haired youth sensed when the Mathematician had spoken to him last.

He would not be controlled, he would not be contained: not by anyone.

So he stood, meaning to use the flaming brazier to depart, then paused as his golden eyes rested on the Anavasi ranks. These were something new - how new remained to be seen, but Puck was aligned with Chang Zha-Yang’s new faction, and the respect Surtr had for Puck piqued his curiousity. Perhaps there was someone here worth talking to.

They saw him coming, of course. One of Lucrezia's many selves, or more likely White Rain herself, who's senses were renowned. The Mirror Queen's court watched as the slim youth emerged from the gathering of Marvels, Monsters and Portents.

"Chang Zha-Yang." Eyes glinting amber regarded the Anavasi leader with a curiosity that loaned warmth to the young nova's cool poise. He nodded with slow, deliberate politeness. "I would dearly like to converse with you, if you have the time and inclination." He did not offer a hand, or extend any other baseline forms of courtesy, but there was no sense of disdain or offense meant, either. "I am called Surtr."

Chang’s focus was shifting more towards her wife over time. The downside of having so many of her in contact with her body was that every inch of her ended up wanting to do unspeakable things to Lucrezia. None of that was helped by the fact she was always eager for it.

It was their oldest game. Chang was always desperate to resist the inferno of lust that blazed inside her, to avoid being controlled by her changes. Lucrezia, on the other hand, was the eternal seductress who knew Chang’s desires so well and had the body and will to satisfy every one of them.

The maddening thing was how subtle she was. Tiny shifts of posture, even turns of her various heads, all were calculated and timed. The shift of posture rubbed one perfect arse into Chang’s seat-body, the turn of a head brushed feather soft hair over Chang’s body. Everything was promise, suggestion, offering. Take me, she was saying with near two dozen bodies, take me now in front of all of them.

It was growing harder and harder to – simply put – avoid growing harder and harder. Chang’s shaft was half-hard now, and so half as big again as its normal size.

As such, Chang actually missed much of Surtr’s approach. Lucrezia was running one finger up her neck, using that pleasure-touch of hers to put Chang’s eyelids into spasm, when she suddenly broke off the touch and proclaimed, “Oh, look, a visitor. What a surprise.”

Chang located Surtr instantly. The proximity of his heartbeat betrayed him, and once she focused on that Chang was able to pick him out in her recollections of the night. Inside the space of time that most people need to form a thought, Chang ran through every bit of sensory information she had overheard relating to him during the evening. It was often like that with her. She processed and absorbed sensory information like a sponge, but her head needed the occasional squeeze if she wanted to get everything she wanted out of it.

She rotated her head around near one hundred and eighty degrees to observe Surtr with her mismatched red and blue eyes as he came to stand a little behind her. Thank you for this ‘surprise’, beloved, Chang thought sourly. Lucrezia would have seen him coming from far away. No doubt she had begun her little campaign of distraction just to pull this trick.

“You are welcome, Surtr,” Chang said. The name was familiar, somehow, but not in relation to this Nova or any other. She raised her arm, bending it backwards at the elbow and twisting her wrist around so far it ought to have snapped as she gestured in his direction. “Your name, it has its origins in Norse mythology, does it not?”

The amber-eyed youth nodded. “It does. You are well-informed, Mrs. Chang.”

“Are you a walking apocalypse, Surtr, a commander of flames and earth?”

“I may well be in good time.”

“Then I hope your apocalypse is kind enough to leave me and mine alone, else polite enough to call ahead before its arrival,” she said, with perfect courtesy and grace. She gestured, and a film of her body extended out towards him before rising up and shaping into a plush armchair. “Please, sit. If the form is not pleasing, simply command and I will reform it to your desire. There will be some shifting as I match myself to your muscles. I’ve grown to pride myself on being the most comfortable seat anyone can find anywhere. A queer thing to take pride in, but I suppose in some ways I’m a queer woman.”

“Fancy that,” Lucrezia said beside her, “the lesbian thinks she’s queer. News at eleven.”

Chang turned and glowered at her. “Obscure references to baseline slang will win you no favours here.”

“But general gorgeousness will,” Lucrezia said with a knowing smile.

Chang’s human body liquified, then. Her seat and flesh merged into one that flexed and moved, until she solidified once more, facing Surtr and a precise distance separate from him. As her features hardened and her clothes slid over her soft and beautiful flesh she laced her fingers before her. “So what is it that you wish to speak with me about, Surtr? Or are you merely curious about the Anavasi? If it is the latter you will in truth learn more by speaking to the Anavasi themselves than to me. As leaders go I am more an elected spokesperson than anything else. Simply put, I was the only one who was both willing to do the job and had the tools to do it.”

Archived