Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Chapter 5: Festival

Justin OOC

Meanwhile, One of those not in the spotlight knocked on Yuuki's door. "Yuuki, it's Kana, can I come in?" The petite young girl was supposedly a dragon, but no one save Kyra could really tell, and supposedly no one knew what type.

Yuuki started, having dropped into a mental spiral of worry despite her best efforts, "Y, y... Yes, Kana-Sempai. One moment please."

There was a moment of shuffling and a mostly dressed dryad faced the dragoness, expression that of the quisiessental Hina Clan member, composed and serene save for a flatness in her eyes from extra stern repression of her upset and the slightly unkempt hair framing her face.

"Please enter. I'm always glad to help however I can."

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delilah tasted Ms. Nekomone's concern, Yuuki's fear and anger, for their missing schoolmates, her high spirits somewhat dampened as she darted in and out of the dressrooms, nonchalantly slipping into her costume. Calling upon she succubus nature, Delilah's voluptuous, adolescent body ripened into the mature, ravishing and imperious appearance she wore to play Countess Rugen.

Considering what had happened to the girl they had saved, Delilah was also concerned for the missing students, but that concern warred with her eagerness to perform, and greater eagerness for post-performance activities. Even Jezebelle being around didn't spoil that. And she wanted to make sure their impromptu replacements did too. Pity Katrina took off - what changed her emotions like that?

Pulling on her high-heeled riding boots, Delilah flashed Erilynn, Lumah, and Haruka a bright, encouraging grin. It looked slightly odd on darkly elegant, adult face, if no less genuine. "Don't worry guys, we'll help you out. My part isn't that big either and I've read the script, like, a million times, so I give you some pointers on your lines."

Dellilah bounced to her feet, balancing on the elevated heels with enviably graceful ease, lush figure barely constrained by her snug, custom-tailored costume, as she strapped on her sword belt around her curvaceous hips. "Oh! I know, we can get some bristol-board, colour-coded by part on write your lines on those. Then someone can hold them up off stage you. Since you guys don't have too much dialogue, that could work."

The irrepressible succubus posed in front of a mirror, fixing her hair and making sure everything fit - and was formed - right, then glided over to Serena, her heels clacking softly against the floor, a smoldering light in her eyes. "And if you need some more parts... filled..." Delilah said, her voice dropping to a sultry, husky register as she exerted her shapeshifting ability once more, to showoff a series a noticeable if minor alterations before returning to her Countess Rugen appearance, "well, I can fill them most deftly."

She giggled, the seductive countess disappearing for a moment. "I did read the script backwards and forwards, Serena, y'know, just in case Skye or Aria weren't up to the task."

"Which they will be." Kurosoroshiimaru said a trifle frostily as he stepped into the wings, appearing from his dressing room like the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons. As was typical, he looked Byronic and ravishing in his riding outfit, the tight cream-colored britches clinging to his lean body and the white shirt open at the throat. Serena had managed to procure him a riding crop, which he tapped against the tops of his shiny black calf-length boots. Gorgeous emerald eyes fixed all present with a coolly polite gaze from under his tousled black hair, and the Prince of Beasts nodded by way of greeting to the new faces. He didn't introduce himself, of course. That was someone else's job.

"I have yet to discover any task Skye is not capable of, and Aria seems focused." he told Delilah, that same rime of frost still lining his honey-over-velvet voice. "I suggest a similar level of focus on your own designated role, succubus, and less concentration on trying to get kissing scenes with the rest of the cast."

Shizuka looked at Katrina and noded. "They'd like that. You won't have to perform, just go and take a seat."

Kana entered, clad in her own new costume, and closed the door. "It isn't how you can help me, it's how can I help you? You're barely maintaining your seeming, let alone your usual composure. Is something wrong, Did one of the boys do something to you?"

Serena looked at Delilah and nodded. "There will be no further shuffling of parts, besides we don't have time to make something to fit you Delilah, not that wouldn't rip off, AND I am not having something like that happen in one of my plays."

She looked at Kuro and nodded. "I see the final fit is perfect, you make a great Prince. A real natural."

The uptight Hengeyokai perturbed her, was he really that uptight about things?"

Aria seemed more withdrawn than usual, even for her. She kept to herself during the minor drama in the drama department, skulking near the walls and in the shadows. When her 'focus' was complimented, she seemed momentarily startled, then sent a grateful look Kuro's way. It was in that moment that a bit of her true self leaked out that one might be able to tell the spider-yokai was, in fact, simply extremely nervous for some reason. Nervous in a way that not even 'fighting' a shinigami had made her.

Lumah observed the the controlled chaos of the backstage dressing room, engrossed in the small thumbed leaflet. Like a play-in-a-play, her mind's eye kept track of the goings-on around her. From the prancing, preening and posturing of the curvaceous beauty to the frosty topping of the icy dark princeling. She wondered to herself if these people realized just how much of a fairy tail they made on their own, without the influence of a scripted story.

She sighed a bit, crossing her arm across her legs causing the leaflet to hang limply as she tried to get a grip on the story and its flow. Her own lines were enough, surely, but she'd feel frustrated if she didn't at least know what was going on. Her natural curiosty played up - if she'd been an animal, her ears would've perked.

Kana entered, clad in her own new costume, and closed the door. "It isn't how you can help me, it's how can I help you? You're barely maintaining your seeming, let alone your usual composure. Is something wrong, Did one of the boys do something to you?"

Kana got a laugh in response to that, a broken sound born of fear and frustration and one, long bad twelve hours, ugly and cracking with potential tears Yuuki wasn't quite bad off enough to let loose. "I wish it was something that easy to fix, Kana-Sempai," she answered from behind her hand as she tried to recover from her break with limited success, "It's been a long night and long morning, and the one thing I am permited to say about it is that one of my Clan's Elders will be here to judge my performance so far here when I'm at at far from my best. I... I want last night to have not happened. I want to go home to where I don't have to think and the worst that can happen is being passed over for kitchen duty by one of my more cappable Sisters for the next duty rotation."

Yuuki forced in a breath through her nose, closing her eyes, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I must sound like someone who has yet to see her second blooming. It's... It's alot, and it's all still happening."

Serena chuckled at the return of the nekojin. "I may take you up on that."

She looked over to Aria, and the others. "Those of you not dressed, head on back and lets get this show on the road. We've got to go through the sections we can where our stand-ins will be performing. I'll get the cue cards ready, just in case."

With that the others were each able to find their dressing rooms to begin getting ready for the performance.

Backstage, Kana looked at Yuuki. "So you're worried about failing to live up to impossible standards too? My Father is going to be here, and his standards are higher for me than anyone. You'll do fine, trust me. I've been watching you practice. You've got talent."

She nodded. "It's okay to be nervous. The first show in front of 3 thousand monster is always going to be something that's unnerving. Add to it that we've got at least five monster lords in attendance, including the Angel Lord, Lady Aoi. That audience is going to be a powderkeg."

Outside, Haruka looked to Lumah and Eri. "Would the two of you come with me, I can take your measurements and adjust the costumes for you easily enough I think."

The young dragon was quiet for the most part, her manner almost thoughtful throughout the morning, as everyone had moved to the theater to prepare to begin the play, and she took in what her senses were telling her, she did bare her teeth a moment at Kana, but here and now wasn't the time to establish pecking orders, besides she had to play her part in the play so she began to prepare to do just that.

"And sorry for ignoring you earlier, one of your actors was... quite distracting. I will endeavor not to repeat the same mistake." Katrina says to Serena, looking apologetic. If she was in cat mode she would be like a cute, sad kitten, but that wouldn't still be proper at this moment. The sense of stress was quite palpable. Not something she wanted to feel out on her first day.

"I'm sorry for disappearing like I did as well. Catnip and I have a very bad relationship... wasn't aware it was present at the gardening club's stall."

She scratches behind her head. "I am honestly trying not to be rude but this has been a... roller coaster for me."

Lumah patiently moved as directed so that her measurements could be taken. She quitely considered the consternation - missing students, necessitating her and some others to take their place in the play. The students, being monsters, should have some ability to stand up to their own. So what had claimed them might be directly related to her reason for being here...

She flexed her hand instinctively - it was hard to live up to the life here, but she'd have to do it. Think proper, neat thoughts and make a proper, neat face, she thought to herself, and do your best, do your best, do your best...

Skye smiled slightly at Kurosoroshiimaru's unfaltering support. Beyond that, she didn't express the surge of warmth that his words caused, though she felt it strongly. Even thoughts of his father and his disapproval couldn't smother her happiness.

At Serena's prompting, she went backstage to the changing room and got into her costume. That slight smile remained with her as she got dressed and rejoined the others. For all that he's a demon, he makes me smile. He makes me feel better.

Skye took her position by the left side of the stage; it wasn't her mark so much as her lounging place when she didn't have other things to do. Quietly, she waited for someone to tell her something or give her something too.

Aria nodded and vanished into the dressing rooms to get into costume. The changing was a welcome moment of solitude to sort her thoughts and feelings out. It had been harder than she'd expected to tell her mother that there were things happening she couldn't divulge. That even saying that much was probably more than she was meant to. But Asano had never said her mother was on the short list of the informed, and ultimately she was worried her mother knowing might even include her in the danger. Which of course was not to say that her mother didn't know...it would be just like her to pretend not to...but only that Aria had limited influence over things, and that decision had been one of the few times she'd had a choice to make.

The jorogumo had always stood a bit apart from the other yokai, and because of that they tended to stick together. So not sharing the information had been hard. But in this case it was for the best, at least for now. And her mom hadn't pressed her on it...which in a way was even worse. It meant she either DID already know, and merely wanted to know if Aria would tell...or that she had other ways of finding out, and was just crossing Aria off her mental list.

She wondered, sometimes, if this was the sort of thing other yokai had to deal with.

Then she went out to begin the last-second rehearsals.

Backstage, Kana looked at Yuuki. "So you're worried about failing to live up to impossible standards too? My Father is going to be here, and his standards are higher for me than anyone. You'll do fine, trust me. I've been watching you practice. You've got talent."

She nodded. "It's okay to be nervous. The first show in front of 3 thousand monsters is always going to be something that's unnerving. Add to it that we've got at least five monster lords in attendance, including the Angel Lord, Lady Aoi. That audience is going to be a powderkeg."

Kana didn't press her to violate her duty and her oath. That helped Yuuki crest the wave of emotion and recover some more of her balance with an indrawn breath, looking up again with a trace of pride in her voice, "I am the best at the traditional Hina arts, theatrics included, my generation had to offer. The Elders would not have chosen me to come here if I was anything less. I... I shall live up to that faith, no matter the problems or 'powderkeg' of an audience."

The last was said almost as a mantra, Yuuki adding with the ghost of a chuckle, "Besides, the character of Humperdink reminds me more than a little of Clan Leaders they taught us about from the Age of Strife before the Valley. 'Bad' people who did 'bad' things for the good of the Clan."

Yes. Focus on the trivalities of the situation. The details of the real problem weren't hers to solve or investigate anymore, and after the play she would say what she had found out and receive new orders. An Elder wouldn't sacrifice or hurt a member of the Clan without good reason. That was part of the covenant, too, and no Shinigami would change that.

Serena was the last to leave, looking at Katrina. "I know several Nekojin that are affected by it, even some greater hengeyokai as well." She smiled. "We all have our little issues, here and there."

Haruka measured Lumah first and smiled, the girl was pretty, and it wouldn't be too hard to adjust the outfit for her. "Thank you for this, It will make things easier on Serena which makes it better for all of us."

Unnoticed by Aria, a tiny black spider was within the shadowy corner of her room, and her mother smiled. Aria seemed to be alright, which was what mattered. Sometime later the lone spider would rejoin her body, and she sighed. There was indeed something going on, but so few seemed to know anything. The headmaster, and all the Yokai lords except for Asano were nowhere to be seen. He'd actually sought her out, complimenting Aria's abilities, and how proud he was of her. For that to have been said Her mother's curiosity only grew. It wasn't an easy thing to impress a lord, even a young one like Asano.

For Skye, the outfit was comfortable, the sword fake, but made to look real. Serena had always said her fights with Delilah almost looked real, which for the stage was great. Still Delilah trying to usurp the position of others, as well as flirt with Kuro wasn't something taken lightly, and even Serena had voiced a quiet concern at least once to Delilah, assuring her that the cast was set. Once everyone was back, they'd begin the final rehearsal.

Kana smiled. "You are free to be your own person Yuuki. You're only bound by the bonds you yourself allow. Loyalty to one's kind is admirable, but what you want, what you dream and desire, those are important as well. Are you fulfilled by what you do?"

"You too - let's do our best!" Lumah offered Erilynn as she stood to be measured. It felt strange, this buzzing, swarming presence of all these Yokai around her. She felt strangely at ease, despite being in one of the most alien territories she could imagine. One thing was certain - the orders given by Lady Aoi would bring her no end to the new experiences she'd gather here.,,

Kana smiled. "You are free to be your own person Yuuki. You're only bound by the bonds you yourself allow. Loyalty to one's kind is admirable, but what you want, what you dream and desire, those are important as well. Are you fulfilled by what you do?"

There was a reply on the tip on Yuuki's tongue, the reflexive 'In service there is joy' that had been gently ground into her since the Grove Wardens had lifted her newborn from underneath the boughs of her tree, a child empty and ignorant of all save feral protectiveness towards the tree that birthed her. It was obvious, easy, simple. The Hina Dryads protected their Trees, and acting as a Clan, with rules and order under the Elders, ensured they could do so as more than animals. There was no better way, and every member of the Clan had to do their part if it was to work.

It was amazing what having one's fundamental beliefs challenged could do for original thought, though. She was still reeling at the fact her tree couldn't restore her from some hazards, and that... made her doubt.

"I... I don't know. A lot has happened, questions I need answered, and I have faith the Elder will answer them, but right now... I don't know," she confessed, self-control breaking a little to show the confusion and anger and grief at the fact she couldn't brush off said confusion and anger and grief, "I will endure though, so thank you for your kindness."

Darrik was changing in his dressing room. He didn't like the role of Vizini, but unlike Delilah, he knew one did their best with what they got in this. Her exuberance did grate at times. With the special clothing for the mastermind being what it was, he had felt most comfortable with stripping and then putting the multiple layers on. Almost immediately, he had noticed from the mirror and the simple innate sense honed from having Flicker around that Jezebelle was watching from the corner as well.

Of course, he was actually a bit attractive and handsome if not to the same degree as others, and there was no doubt she was getting a very good show, eyes running up and down his lean nude form. A hint of an amused smile quirked at the edges of his mouth, but he simply focused on getting dressed and into character.

Once Haruka had them measured, she nodded. "Okay, I'll bring you your outfits and about fifteen minutes."

She returned exactly fifteen minutes later, Dresses made for both of them. "Try them on, you can use the room through that door, and if they're good, then it's on to makeup."

Kana nodded to Yuuki. "Good to see you thinking outside the norm. You'll need to more and more from now on."

With that, Kana left her to finish her own preparations. Now that the other dragoness was alone it was the perfect time.

Jezebelle smiled at Darrik. "Part of me thinks you like showing off that ass." She came up behind him, her nails slightly elongated, he could beel them at his side as she nibbled on his ear. "Do your best tonight. Serena's Father is an old friend of Momma, and Serena is one of my friends, Darrik. "Help make her happy, and even if no one else does, I'll make sure it's worth your while."

Katrina decides to pipe up. "Umm, I'm sure you have a storage area in back, I was thinking I should store my belongings there until the play is over. I've not been assigned my room and board yet and although I am plenty strong to carry this stuff... I should light it somewhere if I'm going to help as a usher and security."

She adjusts her uniform. "I certainly hope that we won't have trouble but... the mood here is off, usually when I pick up on that something is wrong. VERY wrong."

Yuuki emerged from backstage in her costume, the very image of regal feminine hunter. She wore riding pants and an intricately-patterned long-sleeved top crowned with a lace-edged ribbon that framed her face outside of her black hair, all of it in various shades of red and purple with a patch of white around her collar and glossy black boots. The lightest touches of make-up hardened her normally gentle features, added the promise of cruel laughlines to the young dryad's character. Taking in the improptu audience of her fellow Newspaper Club members and the new arrivals, prompting a cheery smile fueled in no small part by the hope she could forget her troubles with fallen Angelkin Shinigami at least for a few hours.

"So," she inquired, turning on one heel to give them the full effect of her costume before abrupting changing the smile into a thin, bloodless scowl, "Do I look ready to torture a young woman to mostly death for daring to thwart my plan to provoke a war with the blood of her one true love?"

Once everyone returned from the changing rooms, the practice began. There were few corrections, and even the two newest cast members made few errors. A uniform was provided to Katrina, and the other ushers arrived, and more than that, the curtain was lowered, and the patrons began to enter. Truly there were only two seats unfilled. In the Balcony, that was where the VIP's held court, notably the Headmaster, He Panther Lord, Asano, Adranthean, and Lady Aoi. Forbesi and Lilith were conspicuously absent.

Seated beside Asano was Chihaya, treated as a favored elder.

Serena came on the stage, Welcoming the audience and unmistakedly noticing her father's absence, she still smiled. "Welcome to tonight's Performance, "The Prince Husband." Ladies and Gentlemen, let us begin."

The lights dimmed, and she walked off stage, and the play began.

okay we're gonna do this the quick way.

Everyone roll Soul + performance and post the results here. Once I've got everyone, I will post how the play goes Initially I wanted to do scene by scene but that would take forever.

Katrina, being very capable of seeing in the dark, stayed in the shadows of the auditorium, moving stealthily through the theater. She could hear the various patrons murmuring before the actual show began as usual. So, She leaned up against the wall and got a lay of the land, observing who was present and who was absent. Her usher's uniform was a bit big for her, and she never liked slacks. Luckily with them being baggy they also had large enough pockets for her collapsed staff.

Her Penlight was in the pocket of the cheaply made vest that was part of the ensemble, which came in handy when she escorted some last-minute entrants to their seats.

"You're doing a pretty good job... what was your name again?" A upperclassman asked.

"Katrina... security... is sorta my gig."

She smiled, and continued to do her job, catching the play when she can.

Beind Countess Rugen's seductive and sinister smile, a pair of fingers caressing the hilt of her sword as she stood in the wings of the stage, Delilah was hurt than everyone seemed to think she was trying to steal other people's parts. Did she think she deserved a bigger part? Yes. Did she think seh could have done it better? Yes. But since she didn't, she wanted to make this play the best she could. She learned all the other parts so she could fill in if needed, yet all people - her friends even - thought she was trying to do was steal the lime-light for herself.

Admittedly, she loved the lime-light, even fed on the positive emotions around her, but she wasn't adverse to sharing it. As her mark came up, Delilah strutted on stage, feeling her soul surge gloriously at the attention directed her and she called on her soaring soul to elevate her own performance and those sharing the stage with her. There was a thrill in playing the villain and she fell into the roll with relish.

Stage Show Succubus
Performance Roll (spending 70ep for +7 to the roll): 2d6+20 = 31

HP: -0 | EP: -70

Has Variable Energy Regeneration, recovered by proximity to positive/desirous emotions

Lumah's part was a minor one, and it was only fortunately so. Her performance was beyond forgettable considering her complete lack of flair or artistic incling. Inside she could only wish for the play to be over quickly so she could return to the relatively normalcy of a studious life.

2d6+6=9

Erilynn tried her part, her snowy cheeks became flush quickly as she stood infront of everyone, her lines were beautiful, albeit the wrong ones, and full of soft underbreath curse words, in the end she moved off stage quickly, it was fortunate that she only messed up one part.

Ravi *rolls* 2d6: 2+3+7: 12

Though Kurosoroshiimaru played his role adequately, there was little of the spark and flare that marked Delilah's performance. Still, he remembered his lines and his timing, and could be forgiven many sins just based on his smoldering looks alone. Though he wouldn't be winning any Oscars...

Skye wasn't trained, but she had some natural talent. She played her role well and with fervor, her own vendetta against those who had taken her mother from her shining through her character's similar story. When she killed the Countess, no one in the audience doubted she wanted to destroy the woman in front of her. Of course, the fact that it was Delilah made playing the part made that easier for her too.

Soul + Perform (2d6+7=12)

Kyra continued to play the roll of the sick dragon being read the story, and while she didn't do quite with the shear elegance and skill of Deliliah, she rose to the occasion, the dragon's competitive spirit rising within in response to the others acting out their parts.. and she was doing very well indeed. Of course, she was more of the backdrop to the main acting of the folks carrying out swordplay in center stage, but the story was begin told for the benefit of the sick dragon, and that she slowly found it to be exciting was part of the acting.

Krul *rolls* 2d6: 3+6+11: 20 (Soul 8 Performing 3)

There was this to be said for Aria...whatever turmoil or uncertainties she might be feeling inside, she was more than capable of concealing them when the time came. And perhaps she found some inspiration in Delilah's performance as well, and rose to the occasion. For whatever reason, she found in herself a reservoir of panache to inject into the role; evoking a sense of charm and charisma that she so often lacked in real life. While it couldn't be said that she inhabited the part, like the succubus had, it was more than fair to say she did an excellent job performing the part.

SalmonMax *rolls* 2d6: 5+4+7: 16

The show went off with only a few minor hitches. For the most part the quality was good, Most everyone knew their parts. Eri and Lumah did make mistakes, but with less than three hours to get into the roles, Serena waved them off. They had agreed to help when she needed them. Perfection wasn't something the theater club was known for anyway.

The auidence laughed and aplauded, it was a comedy after all. There were some standouts though, people Serena definitely wanted to see join formally, Leading these were Darrik and Delilah. The villains of the show far outshown the heroes, Which when considering the audience, and how monsters were generally the badguys in human stories, lent it a certain approval just for that.

On the whole it was well recieved, though the laughs at certain things would get her into trouble later.

As they took the final curtain call together, her Father and Lilith were still absent.

Through the lights of the stage, with the elders and parents and even the monster lords smiling and clapping, she could see, and she smiled. They'd pulled it off.

When the curtain fell She smiled, looking to them. "Thank you all so much. You've made tonight a great success."

"Go ahead and get changed as you will. "I've invited everyone's parents that I could find, we're going to have a big party in Meeting room three in the Administration building." She was exhausted, as was Kana, who'd provided almost all the special effects (kyra'd provided the fire for the Dread Pirate Roberts scene.)

congrats, no hyperdeathgod showdown today. I'm going to let you all react to this, and then do a post for the aftermath, and we can close this out. If your PC goes to find their parents, please, talk to me first. before posting, otherwise post as you will once we've got everyone, we'll move to the end.

Yuuki excused herself almost indecently quickly, exhausted from the performance. She *knew* going into the play that she was far from her best, between the events of last night, questions about Aoi-Sama, and the Elder's unexpected presense. So she had poured herself into the part, a hungry Princess Humperdink convinced her way was best for herself and her country, burning with ambition that knew no morale bounds she could pragmatically ignore. Still, the result was far from her prime even during rehersal. Disapointing with her potential position as leader of her fellow Hina when they followed her here on the line.

If they followed her here after telling the Elder what was going on.

She changed back into her school uniform, smoothing out the folds and grooming herself to what perfection she could manage, giving her reflection one final nod and offering a prayer to the Living World that she'd have the skill and insight to offer everything her Clan needed to make a wise decion about this crisis. They'd know what to do. And they wouldn't leave her without what she needed to do her tasks.

And so she headed to Meeting Room Three to request a debriefing of her Elder.

After Katrina completes her duties as usher, she goes back to the back stage area, and changes back to her uniform. Within a matter of ten minutes she was back fully geared. The look on her face said it all. She observed... nothing. Everyone was tense and all that happened was a play that was decent for a high-school production.

She puts her hair in a ponytail, and brushes off a little dust from her uniform.

As she walks to Meeting room 3, she thinks of heading to the roof later to check out the possibilities of some Parkour training.

Lumah breathed a sigh at relief as she changed out of her costume. The day had been going entirely unlike expected - ever since Lady Aoi summoned her. But she had learned a few things at least. About the nature of the school and its occupants, some glimmer of its goals and its ideas. A little knowledge could be a good thing, after all, and it might be necessary very soon.

"Oh, jumping bookworms! It will be running late and I don't even have any school equipment yet."

In her mind, she started to make a list of the bare necessities as she followed the others for a bit. She didn't have any parents visiting this place, but it was generally good practice to stick around the rest of the group and see where it led...

Kyohei smiled to Lumah. "Tomorrow's an inservice day so there won't be class. I'm sure a shopping trip can be arranged if you want." He looked to Eri as well. "That offer extends to of you too, if there's anything you need." It was his way of saying thanks to them all for helping...

Serena beat him to the punch. "It's going to be on me. It's the least I can do for you since you helped out so short notice."

Archived