Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude.Beta] A Jungle Den

Quantum Fire

Kamiko works on her tablet, preparing the network for the meeting. She has a feeling there will be more people here, hopefully people with more information than she. Then again this group seems to be clicking well together on their own. Sakura seems mighty adaptable and unflappable and that confidence seems to be contagious. She absentmindedly sits in the seat usually for Ein again... then again it's only logical that his position would have the only pad with administrator privileges over the Wireless LAN.

"Okay... maybe before we get too sidetracked everyone there is this matter of organizing Hanaryuko. Is there anyone with some sort of seniority?"

That and the faster she's done the faster she can get herself and whoever wants to come along to a riverbank she's just found on a satellite map service. Get some air in the rafts and just enjoy some of the scenery and maybe have a thrill in the process.

She adjusts her glasses impatiently, her leg tapping up and down.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He had half-expected to recoil in fear from her once he saw her again. Somehow he lost part of himself when she was around, but ...

Health trumps Pheromones

Not the first meeting, so OoD doesn't apply

'Everything will be worn away in the end. All rocks will be moved or used. All of them. This one has gone behind us now and the current is forever changed.'

"Hello Sakura," Shaman adds quietly.

Jason strode through the diplomatic wing of the palace, her dress shoes barely a whisper over the marble tiles. While filming her latest movie, she had enrolled Danica on a part-time, trial basis, in the Den of Dragons, to see if she enjoyed it and if it was a good for her daughter and herself. Danica had been thrilled to see Ichigo again, but though she was a friendly and exuberant girl, she neither spoke Japanese, nor knew all the nuances of the culture. She sometimes felt out of place, like there wasn't a place for her.

That was when one of the senior board members - Okura Tsugiharu - had proposed an alternative to her, following news that Hanaryuko was opening an new branch in the Congo, in response to the attack on several of their students. They would be transferring some of their students there, purely voluntary and with the support of the parents. Bombshell was a well-known Nova mother, perhaps the most well-known, and Hanaryuko would be honoured if she would participate in establishing the new branch, and perhaps take a more active roll in running it.

Jason had reflected on the matter, then readily to help set up the campus and sit on the board of directors. Danica would be thrilled - she was far more familiar with the Congo, and if her daughter decided to keep going, Jason wanted to make sure it was safe for her and a positive environment, and she would use her contacts and influence to make sure it was so for all the students. She had known the deprecations of motherhunters, and so very few deserved their attention. The world needed to see that there were more young novas than they believed and that they weren't threats, that could function within all levels of society. However, she had made no guarantees yet on taking a more active role. She would have to see if she could make the time for being a Den Mother or Instructor, the children didn't deserve a half-hearted or harried effort.

At the meeting room, Jason knocked then entered, smiling faintly and giving everyone a nod in greeting. Clad in a deep blue business suit, a snow-white blouse, and dress shoes, her silver hair piled artfully on top of her head, Bombshell was every bit as staggeringly beautiful as she ever was and yet, she didn't overwhelm. She was effortless charming and conveyed a professional confidence and competence, not at all surprised or disappointed with the presence of the teenagers, but instead greeted them warmly as she took a seat at the table.

"Sakura, Tsugiharu mentioned you might be part of this. Welcome. Shaman, unexpected, but a pleasant surprise. Will you be joining Hanaryuko, yourself?" She shook his hand firmly, then shook Kamiko's. "And you must be Kamiko Hideyoshi. I see the Den make a good choice in sending you."

She quirked her brow politely at Starseed and extended her hand to her as well, before sitting down. "And you are?" She smiled wryly. "Though I doubt it needs to be said, I'm Jason Bellefleur-Waters. The board of directors of Hanaryuko have asked to me to help establish this satelitte branch and perhaps take a more active role in its governance. A pleasure to meet you all, though I have met half of you before."

No worries!
Using Tactful - she's no less stacked or stunning, or famous, she's just making it easier for you to handle it

'Wow, I can't believe I'm going to smile to Jason as anyone familiar would.'

'Pinch me!'

Shaman pinches himself then responds, smiling,

"It's good to see you Bomb .. Jason. (sigh) I think that Father wants me to be here partially to have me learn from the instructors and partially to learn from the fellow kids. There is still so much for me to figure out, and were better than from the ground up."

'A coherent sentence ...'

'Two Sentences!'

'... two sentences around Bombshell.'

'Same for Sakura.'

'That's different.'

'Too true.'

"Is Danica joining us?"

'An intelligent and coherent sentence - we might stun her.'

'No looking up the skirt!'

Damn!'

Kamiko quickly stands up and bows to Jason in reflex before taking Jason's hand. She had heard of Jason through the grape vine in the Tokyo branch and to be honest... she was star-struck. She's seen her films and series. She carried herself with a gravity that could be felt through the digital formats of the modern era. If this was the golden age of film people would want slices of the celluloid just to keep the memory of her.

"Miss Bellefleur... I'm honored to see you here. And thank you for coming." When she rises out of her deep bow her smile is sincere. Almost relieved as she moves a lock of blonde hair from her face. "I assume you've been briefed on the others here?"

She adjusts her blouse with a quick tug at the waist line. "Luckily you're here... was starting to get the feeling my volunteer spirit got me drafted into running the entire Congo branch."

She scratches her head... Kamiko, while a natural leader just never feels quite right in the role. Then again at 15, what teenager ever is?

Wow. Wow wow wow ... holy wow. thought Starseed as Jason entered the room - her mind logically expecting that more famous people were going to show up - but not someone among the most famous of people. She'd already been standing, and in the moment it took her mind to recover she mirrored everyone else - mostly taking Kamiko's lead - in making a bow. She knew enough that a fairly deep bow was required ... at least here anime was serving an educational purpose.

Waiting her turn, she smiled and said "I am Starseed, and it is a great privilege to meet you Miss Bellefleur. I am applying for membership."

Noting Jason's extended hand - she also shook in the style of greeting familiar to her. Then, waited to sit after Jason and Kamiko both had.

Kamiko quirks an eyebrow towards Starseed, but realizes she had a 'awkward turtle' moment herself. She takes her seat again and awaits everyone else's remarks/statements.

"This would make you the highest ranking person here, Jason, so I can transfer network administrator privileges to your tablet."

She smiles, bringing up the network GUI. "The tablets are courtesy of Ms. Hideyoshi, by the way. She sends her regards."

She stands up again and walks over to a bag where she sat the router and starts tweaking it's settings. "This will be a few minutes so you may have an intermittent connection in the network. I'm changing the firewall encryption key to a new setting randomly seeded between 1 and 2 minute intervals. I just got to make sure the OpIP addresses of the tablets an the MAC codes are secure."

Jason smiled, waving at the others to sit with her hands. "Please, everyone, feel free to call me Jason. It is my name, and I see no reason to stand on ceremony here." Her eyes glinted with amusement, lips curving playfully. "And there is no need to bow. I didn't actually say yes when King William proposed." Didn't stop him from trying to making me a peer of the realm...

Jason accepted the OpBook with a gracious nod, flicking it on with a long finger, swiftly perusing the contents and transferring some of the information she had gathered from her OpPhone to it. "I don't know about highest ranking, but I'll accept the privileges for now, until someone more official shows, hmm?" Jason commented in playful tones. "And please, send your mother my regards as well."

Glancing at Starseed, Jason smothered an amused grin. She knew an ardent fan when she met one - some took meeting her with tremendous weight. "Welcome Starseed, glad to have you aboard. With a second branch opening, the Den of Dragons will need more young women and young men to turn it into a worthwhile and fulfilling endeavor."

Jason was glad - and a little proud - that Shaman seemed to have a better sense of equilibrium around the socially over-endowed. He had been nearly overwhelmed before. "I'm glad you're interested to Shaman and I think Ein is right, it could be quite good for you." Her luscious lips curved up at the corner. "Sometimes, you seem so serious and introspective, I was almost going to start calling you 'young grandfather.' Danica may join us later, after we get some of the boring necessities out of the way. Careful, she has yet gotten bored of getting married to you... Or you, Sakura."

Jason glanced at the OpBook before, then with a few elegant flicks of her finger, connected the monitor hanging on the wall, pulling up a number of headings. "I believe a few more people may be joining us, but I see no reason why we can't brainstorm some ideas, such as location." The Location heading blinked, then a map of Kinshasa and the surroundings swelled into view a few areas highlighted. "A few locations have already been scouted out, that are available for purchase and are suitable for the Academy's needs. There are pros and cons for being in or out of the city of course. Are there any suggestions at this point? Ein is looking favourably on this project and I have some small influence as well. At the moment, the main branch is being quite generous with resources, so we have a fair number of options available and I have been talking to friends in various fields so this new branch can be self-sufficient quickly."

Shaman's features lightened significantly when Jason mentioned Danica,

"Danica really would be welcome. I think we ... we second gens ... have a greater sense of our surroundings and our futures than can be appreciated. I guess its hard to understand sometimes,"

He grins, adding, "and obviously harder for me to explain ... put into words."

"Who else do you think will be joining us? Elders or other second gens?"

'Wow, don't mean to say you guys are old, but that's old Foot and Mouth Disease.'

"It would be nice to have anyone's input, really. That's what I meant to say."

'Shut UP!'

'But were not focused on her tits this time.'

'Success?'

Starseed, now sitting, picked up the tablet at the 'place setting' arrayed for her seat. The sleek device was instantly on and she synchronised it to her own data band - the older model wrist band's projective interface wasn't as pleasant to work with even though it had been the latest thing when she got it for Christmas three years ago. Listening to everyone, she began to rapidly make notes on what had happened so far - and at the same time took the opportunity to channel a bit of quantum to fuel her intellect.

"I would suggest that the security of the location overrides the convenience factor of the location. The logic behind this is that at least two of us have the ability to form spatial gates - and a periodic transit schedule for shopping, shipping, etc. isn't going to be hard to arrange. If we have some vehicles we just drive to the city in an instant."

she added "Now I don't know Kinshasa, or the politics of the country ... so whether being in or out of the city is more secure I can't speak to. Just trying to apply a reductionist approach to location selection."

Continuing on another criterion "Also, the nature of the facilities available at the various location relative to the location should be considered. For example, are we building new? Retrofitting? If the locations scouted thus far are going to be refurbished ... what do we have to work with?"

Ascended Intellect: Boost INT roll:
varroxx@yahoo.com *rolls* 6d10: 3+2+9+5+8+10: 37

3 suc. - Mega INT 4 - scene duration

Jason arched her brows at Shaman, an extremely feminine curve to her lips. Of all the adjectives used to describe Bombshell, 'elder' wasn't quite appropriate, but she didn't call him on it - she understood what he meant. From the drifting of his eyes, Shaman seemed to fully agree with her.

"No worries, Shaman, if Danica is going to be attending this academy, I'll definitely get her impressions of it. But she is a child of ten as well. The mechanics and economics surrounding establishing this branch of the Den isn't something for her to comment on, nor would she be interested. As for who else will be joining us, I'm hoping at least one member of the administration and a faculty member from the main branch will be joining us. And I have made an inquiry to a friend to accept a position as a history professor."

Jason nodded at Starseed, tapping a few areas on her screen, highlighting a few of the locations that corresponded to the young woman's parameters, smiling softly to relieve any sting her words might hold. Starseed was young. "I assure you, Starseed, safety and security is a full concern, but we are not building a fortress, but rather a place where young novas can learn, socialize, and develop in a nurturing atmosphere."

Another tap and one location was blown up in more detail. "This is the old Kinshasa College, which was closed down when Einherjar established the New Congo University of Kinshasa. As you can see, it would need both new construction and extensive retrofitting. Most locations will be the same, to meet the Den's needs, or would require so much retrofitting, we might as well build from new and fashion exactly what we need. I don't want to say money isn't a consideration, but we might need to start building small and then expand and plan accordingly."

A swipe of her fingers and another location slid into view on the wall-monitor, one outside the city limits, with a good location along the might Congo river. "This is another promising location - an old estate that once belonged to a corrupt official of the old Congo government. Currently belongs to the state, I'm sure it could be had for a reasonable price. I'm quite fond of the more natural surroundings, but it's close enough to the city in case of emergencies."

She glanced at Starseed, tapping her lips speculatively with a pair of fingers. "Your idea about using nova abilities is a valid one, and hold much merit, but mostly only for the building phase. We have to look at this as a long-term endeavor. The Den can't always expect it will have a student or a faculty member with warping capabilities and the like available. Nor would it be fair to rely on a student for a necessary service. Ask for their help, perhaps, but not laying a burden on them, beyond learning and growing into responsible young men and women." Jason eyes were kind. "You understand?"

Einherjar had met her request with a raised eyebrow, but hadn’t seem unduly surprised. “Esperance will see that you get all the information you need,” the king told her. The seneschal nodded, giving Morri a smile. Tavon’s expression was just as approving as Esperance’s; both had watched the Morrigan grow to a point and stop, unwilling to take the next step. This seemed a good next step to both of them. They may not have had the depth of feelings for Morri that Ein had, but they cared for her.

“Thank you,” Morri said, smiling despite the uneasiness she’d felt. She’d know for a long time that if she wanted to, she could have participated in the running of the Congo. She hadn’t felt the need until now. Something about the recent events of her life had sparked a great deal of change in her. The feral still wasn’t sure where all of this was going.

Everyone in the room rose, the business more or less done, but Morri had an additional surprise for everyone. Turning to Tavon, she asked, “May I hug you?”

The other three people in the room went utterly silent, all staring at her in shock. In all the time they’d known her, Morri had hugged only Einherjar. Ein was the first to recover, his blue eyes warm as he watched his ‘daughter’ taking another step out of the cage. Tavon looked at him, slightly panicked. Einherjar’s gaze asked him to politely not panic because the King’s daughter, a slim girl barely eighteen in appearance, had asked him for a hug. Tavon’s gaze said that he remembered seeing what the slim girl could do on the battlefield. Einherjar’s gaze asked him to trust the King – and Morri.

“If your wife would be angry…” Morri’s voice trailed off uncertainly.

“No, I am just surprised,” he told her, holding his arms out to her. Morri hesitated before moving forward and putting her arms around his chest. Fighting off the phantom itch of a blood blade slicing into his back, he gently returned the slight pressure she exerted. “You’ve never asked for one before.”

“I know,” she said as she stepped back. “We have been friends a long time. I should have asked for one long ago.”

“Thank you, Morrigan,” he told her with a smile. Now he had a better idea what it was to be the King, Tavon thought. Hugging the Morrigan was rather like hugging a wild tiger who was permitting you to be closer. It felt a little like a sacred trust.

“Esperance?” The Morrigan queried, giving her a questioning smile. The seneschal nodded and enfolded Morri in a hug. Unlike Tavon, she merely felt warm that Morri was finally reaching out to those around her.

This, the three adults in the room thought, is a good thing.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Morri paused outside the door, her soft steps not betraying her presence. Einherjar made a regular habit of listening to conversations long before he joined them; Morri wanted to do the same but that required that she actually hover outside the door instead of listening in from across the palace. It was a trick of Ein’s that she’d long coveted, but never mastered. However, now her own trick of being sneaky allowed her to listen into the room and assess the tone and conversation.

Her mouth tightened when she heard Jason start to talk about the sites. This was the Congo, and Jason was a guest, not the Queen. Morri clamped down on her anger, knowing that its sole response came from her territorial nature. She caused enough issues with those urges; no need to make things worse. But she was going to nip this in the bud before the group picked an unsuitable site. Ein had been very clear on which site he wanted the group to settle on, and part of Morri’s job was to guide them there. If possible, she’d do so in a way that meant they came to that decision on their own.

Straightening, the Screaming Fury of the Congo walked into the room to begin negotiations. She was dressed in black pants and a red blouse, both deceptively plain. Tahir walked behind her, golden earrings glinting in his ears. The lion looked more bored than anything, but Morri looked damned serious. She was even wearing shoes.

To those who didn’t know her, she was Einherjar’s berserker. She’d appeared during the Congolese War for Liberation, fighting at the side of the ex-Elite Einherjar. She’d quickly gained a reputation for ferocity; she lashed out at anyone who came too close to her. Only Einherjar had been able to calm her with an upraised hand. Her reputation was full of blood, madness and fury.

The woman who walked into the room was powerful, but she didn’t seem raving, merely focused. Her sinister red eyes swept over the room, assessing each person there without a smile or change in expression. “Actually, that estate is earmarked for other purposes, by the state,” Morri said coolly as she stopped at the edge of the table and put down her opPad. “But before we go into all of that, I am the Morrigan. I know a number of you, but not all. May I have your names?”

If anyone in the room was surprised, Shaman wasn't one of them. To him, it only seemed right that Morri was there. She was the King's Right Hand after all, and who would be better to ward the children of the Den. To him, berserker was just a word, meaning little more than a wounded animal lashing out. Morri was no wounded animal and he would have been a little shocked to understand other people saw her this way. Morri was a nova, a 'current in the river' as his Other Self would say. You could bend a river, but it always returned to its course. It only seemed natural that her inherent protective nature (she warded a large portion of another world after all) would lead to this.

"You are right Morrigan, of course. I am Shaman, Son of Einherjar and Brother of Morrigan."

'I hope this goes well for her.'

'That would be good for the Den.'

'I still don't know what they will want from us.'

'Of course, if more people know about this, the more likely we are to be attacked.'

'Aren't we a fount of joy this morning.'

'Let's watch some tits. It will make us feel better.'

'Not today.'

'This may be the most important day of my life so far.'

'Second.'

'Second?'

'Forget Sakura and our First Kiss so soon?'

'Doh.'

In response to Jasons condescension Starseed merely nodded and kept smiling. Clearly she must be aware that what she had just offered up was little more than a restatement of the group mission ... and advancing a site without any demonstrated merit. No doubt a social tactic to conceal some other motive unrelated to site slection but hinging upon it. No matter, eventually someone behind the bank accounts would want a quantatative risk analysis done.

Then as the Morrigan entered and asked for her name she replied "Starseed. A pleasure to meet you."

She kept taking notes on the tablet - minutes of the meeting thus far, the beginings of a critical analysis for site selection based on any available data and a short biography of herself. She then dustributed the bio to the groups tablets.

Sakura both tensed and relaxed when Morrigan entered the room; the lithe, dark nova didn't seem to like her much, but at least there was an official representative for the Congo in the room now. Looking over sites and talking about the how and how much's of setting up what very much sounded like a boarding school for nova children was all well and fine, but if they were going to do that they'd need someone with actual authority in the Congolese government to sign off on everything. And better they be in on the meeting so they could do things like Morrigan just had: tell them what was and wasn't available and keep them from sending up a fully developed proposal only to have it rejected because they hadn't known about this or that. She gave the Morrigan a seated bow but didn't repeat her name; Morrigan already knew her.

At the blink from her tablet that indicated information had been updated Sakura idly began to sift through it, focusing more on Starseed's short biography than on the other information.

Jason arched a brow at the appearance of Morri and offered her a gracious nod, despite the cool tone. It was good Morri was getting involved, more personal growth to help her grow beyond her suffering. "Pity about the estate, it looked promising, but we were just brainstorming until the Congolese and Hanaryuko officials joined us. Pleased to have you joining us, Morrigan. Do you know if the Hanaryuko Board Member will be joining us as well?"

Kamiko sees the most dangerous weapon in Ein's arsenal as she completes her security update and almost leaps out of her skin at the sight. "I'm sorry I wasn't doing any.... oh... you're here for the meeting."

Her heart could keep pace with the fastest nova on earth at the moment... "I'm... I'm Kamiko... Kamiko Hideyoshi."

Seeing The Morrigan up close at this distance... 3 meters tops... she's seen dangerous animals, been places no ordinary human dare travel to... yet that real estate between her and the hereafter was the most dangerous ground of all. Kamiko takes her seat at a open, empty chair away from Ein's usual spot out of respect. In her mind she realizes now any misstep won't just be awkward, it could be her last.

"I would be interested in who was tasked with the founding... I was sort of dropped here. Literally." She says, slightly joking and slightly stating matter of fact.

"But I think it wise we wait for the government here to weigh in as well as any needs that can be properly addressed by Hanaryuko board members."

'Well ...'

'Should we say something?'

'Like?'

'Like something that will make Bombshell fall Head's Over Heels in Lust with me!'

'Events are not as important as results and successes away from the goal are shallow water circling in a pool.'

'Huh?'

'Oh, pretty to look at, but in the end not part of the flow.'

'Exactly.'

'Glad we can all agree.'

'Glad I'm finally getting the handle on this inner dialogue.'

"Kamiko, can you give us any idea of what the Den is offering and what it might require to see what common ground we can build from?"

'So, did we sound smart and diplomatic, or totally way out of my league?'

"Well from my short time with the Den in Tokyo, we were pretty much all about training and social acclimation. Sort of liked the training part particularly all of the disaster response stuff. Never know when a earthquake or typhoon will come calling and you'll be needed to assist." She says with a smile, proud of her achievements. "I wouldn't mind sharing later on if anyone is interested in that sort of stuff. Particularly some of the little survival stuff my adopted Dad taught me. You'd think a girl like me would hate eating bugs..."

She scratches her head. "It's an acquired taste but..." She then snaps back to the now. "Oh right... Den stuff... But yeah, it's a mix of social, and real-world. Then again I haven't needed much and I think once the Den feels I'm all set I'll be moving on. Although I'd like to continue helping and representing the Den whenever I can. The Hideyoshi family has placed their support behind Hanaryuko efforts and well... that places me behind them as well."

"Not that I'm forced to... I do this of my own accord. I support the Den in it's endeavors. Some would say with a little too much gusto from time to time."

“Ashida will be joining us shortly.” Morri’s nose twitched as she caught the welter of scents around her. To her sensitive nose, people might as well been announcing their feelings to her. “Hi, I’m Kamiko, and I’m afraid of you.” It was clear to her as their heartrates would have been to Einherjar.

Smile. Don’t be so cold. It was an effort. Morri was nervous about this: nervous about doing it wrong, about messing it up or failing Einherjar. This wasn’t a life-or-death affair; it was important but she had room to fail, to be wrong. It was a good place for her to start being more involved in Congolese affairs. This was her home; she had enjoyed the benefits of living there long enough. It was time to help keep this home safe for herself and others.

Still, she managed to smile as she took the seat to the right of Ein’s throne. She did so bizarrely, remembering too late that though she like to plant her hands on the arms and fold her legs under herself before lowering her body into the chair, it looked odd. Still, she was seated and she was smiling as she reached out and picked up a datapad. “I’m glad to see so many interested in a project such as the Den. I’m particularly happen to see current members of the Den here, or at least, those novas who would most benefit from an organization such as this. Since I never had much of a childhood, I’m afraid that my input on what is needed for an group like this is limited. Also, I’m an old person, probably more than thirty.” The last was said with a quirk of her lips that was a little like Einherjar’s bemused smile.

And did the Morrigan just tell a joke?

"What facilities do you think the Den would need to provide?" Morri continued. "Would an urban or rural environment be of greater benefit? Will you need large outdoor areas in the jungle or cleared land, or indoor facilities?" She ended with a smile that was moderately charming; the Morrigan was truly trying to reach out to others.

"Hmm... perhaps I was... originally mistaken..." Kamiko thinks. "Just like Ein in a way... So there is a human side to this biological weapon."

Kamiko's guard comes back down. "Actually if there was a plot that had access to the Jungle, for survival training and nature exploration and access to a nearby town... or even Kinshasha itself."

She adjusts her blouse. "And preferably access to the Congo is ideal."

Morri’s smile eased a bit more as Kamiko specifically seemed to relax more. “I think we can put the site near Kinshasa, then,” the feral replied. Tahir stretched himself, then dropped into a sprawl at her feet and proceeded to snooze. There were few things more indolent-looking than a lion in slumber, and Tahir was keeping that stereotype alive.

There were a number of places that could work well; despite the price of land on the Congo itself, they could even house a facility on the banks. But Morri felt a tremble of hesitation at the thought of putting a school for novas on the border of the country. It didn’t seem wise.

“All of those are doable,” Morri replied. “Something with some infrastructure, perhaps…” She was clearly mulling over an idea when the door popped open.

“Oh, sorry I’m late!” the smiling woman said as she came in the door, her expression contrite. She was a short Japanese woman with a little extra plumpness. It was just enough to make her seem motherly, despite the nice suit skirt she wore. “So sorry. I’m here now. Have I missed anything?”

“No, we’ve been waiting for you, mostly,” Morri replied, rising and offering a hand. Introductions went around to everyone, and the newcomer was named as Ashida Ko.

“Oh, good. Thank you all for coming, I’m with the Hanaryuko Board. I can’t say how much it pleases me to see all the interest in the Dragon’s Den,” Ashida said, her smile still warm and open. “And Ms. Morrigan, may I extend my thanks to the Congo for allowing us to place another branch of the Den in your country.”

“We’re pleased that you choose the Kingdom of the Congo,” Morrigan replied, the courtesy coming easily to her after years of working with and observing Einherjar. “Now, I believe that the first step is finding a site?”

“Well, there’s a lot of forms and regulations to sign… but I believe those are for the King to sign,” Ashida replied. “Let’s work on a site, and that way I can have the forms needed for acquisition ready to go.” She took a seat and pulled out her handheld device. “There are a number of potential sites…”

“We’ve had requests from the children that the site be located in the jungle with access to the river,” Morri said, giving Kamiko a nod. “So the estate should border the river but the facilities themselves should not be on the water.” She looked around. “What else should we seek for the Den’s location?”

"Other than some access to a road, utilities, and communications infrastructure that's all I can think of." Kamiko says. "And thank you for coming, Miss Ashida. Your reputation preceeds you."

Kamiko nods. "Sakurako sends her regards and thanks for the dinner last month at that Roppongi restaurant. Very generous of you to be honest."

She smiles, looking far more relieved that a command structure is forming.

"Hello Miss. Ashida, Pleasure to meet you." Starseed says, more or less waiting to see where the meeting is going. She was now confident that any site would be suitable for her purposes now that it would likely be somewhere near Kinshasa. Security would be low, but the proximity of friendly forces might make up for it.

The board member was here, as was the government rep. Now this was more about collecting information for Starseed. She kept listening, noting every detail. The Den facility might be her new - and only - domicile planetside.

The Morrigan was holding her interest now. She projected power, but not in the way Jason did. Jason is magnificent, wonderful ... but the Morrigan was complicated. The right hand of King Ein, or was it the left hand?

"Hello too, Ms. Ashida"

Otherwise, he was here to watch, listen, and learn. Mostly that meant keeping his mouth shut, or so he thought. Then it occurred to him.

"Proximity to security forces is very important. I've been hearing of rumblings going on outside the borders. It may turn out to be nothing. All I've heard are rumors. If they are right, though, the Congo is going to be the focus of dangerous things. I definitely believe the Dragon's Den should form an outpost here, because I think it is something the Congo should fight for."

'Because if the Congo goes under, no where will be safe.'

'That's a positive thought.'

'I could warn them of what Alex said?'

'And they will think I'm crazy. They don't know her.'

'I don't know her either.'

'But I've met her. That gives anything she says greater weight.'

"It is just that I believe the Congo is going to be fighting unless events take a drastic turn, with the final target being the young novas all across the globe. By being in the Kingdom, the Dragon's Den will be sheltered by the very fact that no one would look for them here."

'I think I've said too much.'

'To say nothing is to accept the dam as a reality, and not an obstacle. The wave moves us, but our destiny is still in our hands.'

'Can I protect them? I'm telling them to come here after all.'

'It's not like we are tackling this problem alone.'

'I hope they heed my warning.'

'I hope the warning won't be needed.'

"If there is a conflict... we run." Kamiko says with a firm determination. "If anyone comes for us we can't ask the people of this nation to assist unless they wish to do so for us. I won't see anyone shed their blood on my behalf."

Her tone seemed grimly stark compared to who she usually is. "I would hope that we will not be a burden."

"Risk analysis is currently unclear as to whether being close to friendly forces makes the facility safer or not. Too many unknown variables to say for sure, but on the whole it makes sense that being closer to Kinshasa is safer. Better for natural disasters, small groups of aggressors making an assault - the numbers bear out those scenarios. In the case of some sort of mass conflict, I'll have to run the numbers with more data. It could actually make things worse if an army or large force of elites came to the area. This area has a tendency towards widespread cyclic violence, and the statistical probability of occurance is within the region of significance on ... well lets say there has been a relatively long period of peace here given the turbulence of the area and adjustments for tensions in the Nova age."

As she was talking, she hadn't ceased working the tablet software to it's fullest.

"Both intuition and modelling, however, indicate that early warning is the best single safety measure. A Kamiko said, escape is safety and awareness is the prelude to escape. Thus a strong tie to the communications infrastructure and well planned emergency procedures should be budgeted for. With regard to a strong tie, I should clarify - multiply redundant systems are recommended. Making the overview of those risk assessments available on the public folder for all of you now."

Kamiko smiles. "A woman after my heart." she says to herself while moving the data around, while working on her own lists and taking care of some messages from home.

"Early warning indeed. Nothing says 'watch out or get out' like an air raid siren... something large parts of the nation is without still. Probably because most of the outlying villages are still seperated by miles of jungle and swamp."

She pulls up a map of the nation with the more densely populated areas shown in red. "We should try to have at least a 15 mile buffer zone... most likely provided by Jungle and rivers or swamps, surrounding the candidate area for the headquarters. We should also make sure that at least one warp capable Nova can be on stand-by or on-call at a moment's notice for a evacuation."

Sakura spoke quietly and diffidently, but with cool intelligence as she read over the information Starseed had sent to the tablets. "Fifteen miles is nothing for novas that have parahuman means of transportation. But what of those that don't? You worry about an attack, then what happens to those children that can't reach Kinshasa or any other safe have if the warper is injured or unavailable? There are three ways to hide: by location, by illusion, and by assimilation. Location would mean distance, like you are discussing, but it isolates the group. That makes them vulnerable to quick and deadly strike teams if the location is found. Illusion...would either require again a dependence on constant nova powers or on technology, or an attempt by the children to pass as baselines, a prospect I doubt most could pull off. It could be done, but it would be costly, tiring on the students, as well as teaching them lessons that seem counterproductive to the goals of the Den, and would require a place that would not be seen as unusual for people to be coming and going from yet where anyone not part of the group would not think to go. Assimilation would mean becoming a part of the day to day life of the Congo, probably best served by locating - openly - here in the capital or in another major city within the Congo. This has the disadvantage of being known to enemies and the same advantage of being known to friends and allies."

"My own suggestion, for what it might be worth..." She laid the tablet down and thought for half a moment, "Is not Kinshasa, but another, smaller city or town with plenty of room for the children to practice their abilities away from the populated areas if they are dangerous or still quite uncontrolled, but also with an urban home that allows and encourages them to interact with baseline humans, especially those their own age. The request to the Congo, beyond the allocation of land and allowing the Den to expand into the country, would be that such a location either become or already be a military location. Somewhere that always has nova and baseline military on hand. This provides a greater degree of protection for the location itself as well as a strong public statement to the world that an attack on the home or school or whatever you will call it will also be an attack on the kingdom of the Congo." She tapped the tablet, her eyes far away, "I would also suggest having several escape plans in place, and not just for the students. A fortified bunker somewhere near the location, several warp-capable novas, on hand and off-site, willing to answer a distress call on a moment's notice, as well as several other safe, secreted sites for people to fall back to and regroup at. Multiple layers of protection, multiple emergency plans for everything from natural to man or nova made disasters to attacks by motherhunters or other hostiles."

She pulled up a map of the Congo and uploaded the information of several settlements, "I would suggest Ikela. It has a relatively small population of around fifteen thousand and is centrally located in the country. Any attackers would have to make it through a major portion of the kingdom before reaching Ikela, and the population size allows for socialization but is small enough that there should be plenty of open land in the area for the children to practice powers and to put the other safety measures I mentioned in place without undo disturbance to the town. Bandundu and Kikwit are closer to Kinshasa - and to Congolese borders - and are larger. They might offer greater protection in some areas and certainly a wider, more urban pool of residents to socialize with, but open spaces to practice powers would have to be farther away from the area and putting the security measures in place would be that much more complicated by the larger population."

She glanced between Ashido-san and Morrigan, "Do these ideas have merit?"

"The reason why I said 15 miles wasn't for warning time, but if some nova decides to wipe us all out at once we can keep the collateral to us and us alone." Kamiko says, scratching her head in frustration. "But having the options of more locations is good, but I would rather the location we pick have smaller baseline saturation. If we do go with Bandundu or Kikwit, we should again, make sure the buffer for a sudden strike's collateral doesn't overlap any properties."

She sits foreward, steepling her fingers and reflections of her calculations reflecting off of her glases. "These all are valid ideas, everyone, but we are a commodity, and to some a threat. Think of it. We're a high concentration of decently powered at worse Novas congregating around a Nova monarch. At best it's considered a new faction of the Teragen or a new Elite group in the making, at worst... well... we don't want major powers like China overreacting. The political situation in the world right now is delicate and we are the current age's weapons of mass destruction."

"We have to make deep considerations in this environment, even if we are here with the best intentions in our hearts and minds. As the old saying goes, 'No good deed goes unpunished'."

'Oh wow. I feel I'm diving in over my head on this one, but ...'

"It has merit, Sakura. I see three problems with it."

'Why does this feel wrong and right at the same time?'

'Because you are not a stone.'

'Does it matter what I can do?'

"I could travel from one side of the Congo to the other and avoid all human contact. It's that vast."

'Now I'm in for it.'

'I have to push forward if I think I'm right.'

'Yeah. Yeah, I think I do.'

"Several warp-capable novas on had at all times is a good idea, but I know of only two right now, and one definitely has other plans."

'That conversation would be something like, "Can you spend the rest of your life in constant communication with this location?" blink "Your are joking, right? Listen, I have important, Big People work to do. Have a nice day."

'Now for the "Me" factor.'

Maybe one day we will be able to transfer ourselves through the earth.'

'That and warm fuzzy puppies will get me peed on.'

'Yeah.'

"The problem I see with it being in the middle of the country, from my personal point of view is that I can't get there. I can travel fifteen miles pretty rapidly. One hundred miles away and I might as well be on the Moon."

'When you understand how all existence is connected, you will be able to move with one will.'

'Until then I fly, right?'

'...'

'No answer? How come you talk only when you want to talk? That hardly seems fair.'

'As you step closer to understanding, I will become a more constant voice.'

Starseed nodded approvingly at many of Sakura's points, and was clearly paused at the thought of some sort of nuclear strike.

Adding to her models for public viewing she finished preparng a transportation profile of time vs. distance vs. cost for a variety of transit types: truck, car, land-rover, ATV, off-road, on-road, helicopter, and assorted nova powers like flight. A quick and dirty app - little more than a spreadsheet template - but it allowed everyone to play with how far, how much, and what type of transport will be useful for whatever site they wanted to consider. She had been working on this one for a few minutes ...

... and without saying it, basically tried to get people thinking away from warpers for basic site selection by showing them all the options.

The app she prepared in moments after that was much simpler, but very telling ... it was an overlay that showed damage radii for various kinds of and scales of strikes ... conventional, biological, chemical, nuclear, quantum warheads, etc. overlaid on a map of the region. Again, anyone using the app could adjust the center of the strikes, and some basic statsitics showed in the app sidebar. Most of this data came from on-line mapping software, so she noted her sources and wrote large 'estimated figures only'.

As people were mulling over what had been said she made those apps public on the group net.

She was also listening to Shaman, making eye contact - taking everything in as she worked. Smiling as usual.

"Waiiit... Starseed... you think someone would use a quantum weapon on us of that scale? Preposterous."

Kamiko calculated her words carefully. "We may be novas, but we're still kids most of us, we can't be that powerful to require... at least I would hope not."

She sits back. "This is alot to digest. Shaman you raise a perfectly valid point. We are social animals. As such we have lives that to be honest a permanent duty would be disrupted by. It would be a tall order to ask and the compensation required would be potentially cost-innefective based on what the hired nova would require to become a babysitter practically..."

"Sakura's plans seem plausible. We should see how we can put them into action. Keeping in mind what we've discussed as potential modifications to the plan itself."

"It only a matter of making a complete threat assessment. However, I should point out that governments have these devices ... and they are not entirely secure from theft by Novas or rouge organizations. The resource requirements of hiring a a lone infiltrator elite to steal and deliver a WMD vs. hiring the team of elites that might be required to successfully attack a facility with so many Novas ... it is a viable mission scenario for those people who would be our enemies."

"The same risk assement applies to the actions of some nation that might in the future wish to attack the regime of King Ein - if we are too close to a major target like a base or palace we will be within the radius of destruction. World governments large and small have these items in inventory, and some military planners do see WMDs as a viable counter to Nova Elite forces. I can easily provide you with published references on the matter."

"Neither scenario is contrary to nature or reason, and the Den is going to be an enticing target for mother-hunters. No one here wants this to happen ... but it is a fact and requires planning. Everything else is secondary to the safety of the students, a point which people here seem to be dancing around ... forgive the frankness."

"I... think my paradigm may be flawed in this instance... I'm playing under the assumption we could get all students out in time and reduce human casualties to a while unacceptable in any size, a realistic and unfortunate minimum. Unfortunately if we are to be a part of society the risks to our human neighbors is... an unfortunate reality."

She sighs, leaning forward with steepled fingers. "I'm afraid I may be too naive or innocent to make the tough decisions of this gravity. I will leave this to the experts."

"Thinking like my Dad for a second ... which I may not be good at: the danger posed to the Den will be proportional to the power there. If it is low key and the power there is minimal, or very, very discreet, why attack it? If the target is the Kingdom, expect to be bypassed. Treat it like a treasured fortress, and it has to be neutralized. I'm not sure there is a middle road."

Shaman takes a deep intake of breath.

'Oh boy. Come on Dad. Help me think this through.'

'...'

'Any help here?'

'The children are the key. They are the great wave in the river. All else is predicated on breaking that wave.'

The boy-nova gets a far off look in his eyes, then shakes himself.

"No matter were you put the children, you know they will be coming for them. Our options are hide, defend, ..."

'Or attack, but we don't know who to attack, do we?'

'Man o, man o, man.'

'Why can't Alex or Cora be here? They have a fucking clue what's going on.'

'Because they are not, and you are, you do what you can and accept that.'

" ... or, well, nothing, I guess. Hiding here makes sense, because of the defenses, and many good locations to hide the Den in."

In a whisper he adds, "It had better be well hidden."

Kamiko could read into whee Shaman was going to go with his statement, but doesn't go to it directly.

"How many of our number is currently trained enough to be capable of defending themselves if necessary?" She says, still in her pensive, thoughtful position in her seat. "It's unfortunate we have to think of it, but it may be a wise call for us to look into our own capabilities. At the very least provide a defense untill we could escape."

Kamiko has never been in a real fight before... at all. All the combat training she had was with her mom's Naginata training and her dad's currently failed attempts in teaching her how to fight hand-to-hand. Although her ranged skills are pretty decent.

"Sorry to sidetrack... I think I'm just thinking out loud now."

"I suggest that the point of hiding is valid, but only for the back up faculties used. Earlier a 'bunker' for emergencies was suggested ... hiding the main facility is impractical. Plus regular operations will mean it can be tracked in short order, then all efforts to hide it are moot. But hiding 'safe houses' to evacuate to could be fruitful."

"Imagine a good early warning system, solid escape plans then directing to a network of low cost safe houses. The safe houses can stay hidden until needed precisely because they are not used regularly. Unlike the regular facility ... which will have so much activity, so much coming and going, that it would logically have to be treated like a public facility. ... So, in essence the exact opposite of a fortress. A decentralized defense strategy vs. a centralized one."

"I think we are all now in agreement that the concepts of fortification and security are not the same."

"Thoughts?"

Morri had let the conversation swirl around her, the words flying back and forth like pretty birds in the jungle. When she let it be like that, when she compared it to something she was comfortable with, it didn’t seem quite so daunting. Besides, Einherjar was fond of letting people talk back and forth while he soaked up their thoughts and impressions. So Morri imitated the master; at least the master in her world.

“I don’t think they should hide.” The sentence came out of seemingly nowhere. “The children hide enough. If you want to be secure, you should be near Kinshasa,” Morri said flatly. She hadn’t moved much but now she sat up a touch straighter, drawing the attention in the room. “King Einherjar and myself will come to the Den’s aid, because we will not allow children to be hurt, and because to attack any part of the Congo is to attack us. And so we will defend, and avenge, if it comes to that.

“I’ll not soften my words, Kamiko,” the fearsome nova continued though that hard gaze became gentler for a moment. “Those children novas who are born of nova parents are already being hunted. There are those who believe that our children are far more powerful than us, and they fear us greatly. So our children are targets before they come into their true power. Einherjar will not tolerate hunting children in his land, and therefore, he would want the Den somewhere he can come to its aid before all he can do is avenge the children. And yes, Kamiko, I am sorry to tell you, but blood will be shed to defend you. Mine, maybe. Einherjar’s, perhaps. But those who dare to hunt children in the Congo will definitely bleed.

“The country has a warning system around Kinshasa. But instead of safe houses, perhaps you should consider a hidden danger room.” Red eyes regarded them gravely. “In an attack, those who can’t or won’t fight go there; those who can and will can take up arms. Martial scholars should be part of the curriculum.”

“Oh, well… I don’t know about that,” Ashida said nervously.

“I do,” Morrigan said softly. “That is your choice, but I recommend that everyone know how to defend themselves, even if that is only to stun someone and run away.” She paused, then continued.

“Being close to the city will help the children learn to be social. Too many have to hide themselves from baselines. They are taught to pretend to be baselines or to be young first-generations. They can’t be themselves, as if they had done something wrong. Here, they can be what they are.

“As for society having a buffer zone to defend themselves from the children… no. The children need to learn control. You do not learn control when you have no limits to hold yourself from, when there are no reasons to be controlled.” Few knew that she spoke from experience.

"So what you're saying is that the line must be drawn somewhere." Kamiko says to Morrigan, flatly and plainly, letting the words themselves speak for them.

"Then the only thing I really have to say then... if we do start taking a more militant stance; What is it are we fighting for?"

She lets those words ring off the walls for a moment. "I would only raise my Naginata to defend the Den and what has been granted us. If I can stand so no one else has to... so this endless wave of chaos and destruction wrought over this planet for almost 30 years crashes into me and snuffs my light... If it meant that no one else had to make that same sacrifice... I would do it 100 times."

"Don't mistake my reservations for cowardice, Morrigan. Only looking for a just cause to action."

Archived