Mutants & Masterminds: Struggles of Iannin - First Arc - Strange Winds

Ouroboros

Not wanting to get caught up with the enraged Kassim and his quarry, Drage sidestepped and moved to engage the twins. Singling out one probably wasn't possible, so better to set a stance for both and be prepared.

What wasn't possible, was to swing at both simultaneously.

Perhaps I should engage in some Keyai-Claw Fury training. I have two hands, why not two weapons? ...I really must be tired.

Rotating the handle in his hands as he swung, he brought the glittering onyxiron blade around, his eye aiming for the soft flesh underneath one of the goat-blooded upraised arms.

Growling in Takrok, their curses always sounded the most fierce, he added in a scream. "Ne makto yabba tang!" (Your mother grazes on ill-tasting weeds.)

The slice went clean in, right between the ruffian's ribs and cut deep into the vital organs that kept him breathing and his blood flowing.

Making use of all the momentum of the swing and the tightly packed strength of his body, he flung the twin off his Halbaxe. Using footwork and movements that looked more like dance steps than combat, he closed with the remaining twin and brought his weapon down in a crushing overhead arc.

Hackmaster +5
Welcome! You have entered [Lobby] at 8:32 am

[Lobby]: Forge has entered at 8:32 am

/backtime 5

Forge *rolls* 1d20: 15+5: 20

Takedown

Forge *rolls* 1d20: 17+5: 22

DC 22

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drage moved between the twin muthay, his odd weapon slashing and chopping, the first fell in a rush of blood and gore, the second as his head was split open. The man collapsed under his own weight, sliding off Drage's weapon leaving crimson and grey behind. That left only the dragon blooded standing against the servants of the Twins. "Fools," he spat, "You should have taken the coin." He sprang backwards down the alley at his back, out of their reach, and vomited forth another geyser of flames, coating the buildings and dirt in flames, and forcing the two hero's to scatter.

Order of Battle (Initiative)

Leader - Roll: 18 +7 Modifier = +25

Sur - 18

Drage - 9

Conditions
Drage -

Sur - wounded (-1 on toughness checks)

Leader - injured x2

Hench 1 - dead

Hench 2 - dead

Hench 3 - dead

Hench 4 - dead

The Crunchy Bits

Hench 4 Roll: 11 +2 Modifier -22 DC = -9 [color:#F00000]FAIL.

Hench 3 Roll: 14 +2 Modifier -22 DC = -6 [color:#F00000]FAIL.

Another Fire Breath attack

DC 15 to dodge followed by DC 20/17 toughness check accordingly.

Round 3: Sur is up next.

Drage hurridly grabbed the headless twin and pulled the body upright while simultaneously squatting and used it as a meat shield. The flames washed mostly around him, though the flames licked at his arms and legs around his impromptu cover.

Wasting good rolls, sucking up bad.
Forge *rolls* 1d20: 20+4: 24

Forge *rolls* 1d20: 8+7: 15

Takes 1 Bruise.

'Uh-oh! I'm not going to make it this time,' Sur thought. Instead, he rolled his body to the side and attempted to suck it up, so to speak. Flames licked at him and scorched his scales. The vomited fire got no further though. Even wounded, he was one tough beast.

Whoops and Oh Yeah!
Adrian Moss *rolls* 1d20: 10+0: 10

(dodge didn't work)

Adrian Moss *rolls* 1d20: 14+6: 20

(but toughness did, including the -1 for being wounded!)

Like some Demon from the Pit of Chaos' Remorseless Heart, Suragygh stepped through the flames and swung with all his strength.

"Time for you to feed the maggots, Fool!"

Maggot Bait!
Adrian Moss *rolls* 1d20: 16+6: 22 Boyah!

Sur's axe landed hard and once more sliced into armor, parting leather and drawing blood. The tough ring mail and boiled leather turned aside the worst of the blow however, turning a killing stroke into a nasty wound, but a survivable one at that.

Sur - 18

Drage - 9

Conditions
Drage - wounded (-1 on toughness checks)

Leader - injured x3

The Crunchy Bits

Round 3: Drage is up next.

"Give yerself up! Let not there be more bloodshed under the Twins." Drage implored, standing up from behind his cover.

"Never!" the growled response came in defiance.

"You are a fool!" Drage yelled in frustration.

Senseless muck drinker.

"Then you shall die." the Murg finished with stern sincerity.

have at thee!
browser crashed, but pretty sure the roll was 11.

So... roll 6 + 5 = 11

DC 22 ... >.>

Drage's halbaxe cut nothing but air, making a swooshing sound as it passed inches from the muthay's legs. The potential thief, spun on one heel and sprinted for it, making way down the narrow alley at his best pace. Behind them Drage and Sur could feel the heat of the flames that were already spreading among the ramshackle buildings of To'ren. Dry wood caught and the fire grew with alarming alacrity, and already shouts of "Fire!" and "Call the buckets! Heave too with the buckets" were going up above the crackle of flame and fire.

Sur - 18

Drage - 9

Conditions
Drage - wounded (-1 on toughness checks)

Leader - injured x3

The Crunchy Bits

Leader: Double move, running for it

You can chase him if you wish or not. I'll leave us in combat time for 1 more round of posting to find out.

Round 4: Sur is up next.

"By the Twins, I'd like to know how is wanting all the Elantine on the island. Something twisted is going on here, but that's for another time!"

Suragygh's mighty wings began beating against the sweltering heat and smoke.

"Drage, take my hand. We have to go Now! We got what we came for."

He didn't like the idea of rising out of the ashes of this tinderbox, with the locals still likely to but a ballista bolt through him. Thing was, you fought to win, not to kill necessarily. Right now, winning meant getting out of this pirate haven alive.

Warming Up
First turn of preparing to fly. I'll be taking off on my next turn (I hope).

"I will NOT leave these people to burn!" Drage yelled over the beating of wings that was only fanning the crackling flames. "We are cause of this, and I will see it through!"

Time was of the essence, every second counted. Drage did not wait to see if the Kassim was going to take off or not, but instead turned to the task at hand and immediately started digging. His nails nearly tore off in the effort to break into the hard-packed earth, but he quickly had an area of soft soil that he began heaving to suffocate the flames.

What I wouldn't give for some rain right about now. Or some good Mire mud. Twins help us the wind doesn't come back now.

Heave ho!
Extra effort - Power stunt off of Burrow 2

"You're an idoit!" Sur bellows. "A damn-fool idiot!"

Suragygh takes off into the air ... and starts hacking away at the burning thatch and wood of the burning roofs, dropping the wreckage down into the dusty alleyway.

What to do? What to do?
Trying to make an Intellect, or Insight roll (I used Intellect) to figure out the best way to fight the fire.

Adrian Moss *rolls* 1d20: 20+1: 21 (a 27 if Insight)

Between the two of them Drage and Sur were able to first contain, and then extinguish the flames before the entire alley was ablaze, and before any serious damage was done. People quickly joined their efforts, with Drage giving commands to them to keep things orderly and organized. Some gave the 'kassim sidelong looks, thinking that he was the one who set the blaze, unaware that his lineage was one of fulmination and not conflagration. Once the fire was under control and the effort to put it out was making headway the two men slipped away before any of the residents could forget their gratitude and remember their suspicious anger. The docks were reached quickly after that, and taking to the air to return to Bib'ney, via a circuitous route that would take then out over the ocean, they two finally left To'ren, the pirate's bay, behind.

It was after mid day before they set down in Bib'ney once more. Both men were pushing the limits of their reserves of energy, yawing with fatigue repeatedly. The garden of the temple of the light was, as it had been yesterday, sparsely occupied. A small service was being given by the statue of the twin god, while healings were being made in other spots. Brother Gral was with Ausar, waiting for them when they landed. Relief was plan on both their faces. "Do you have it? Were you able to find Elantine?" Gral asked in a hushed voice, doing his best to not draw attention.

Drage leaned a bit on his unstrung bow as he pulled off his quiver and dug out the ore. It had to be enough. "We found Elantine, yes." he said, sighing. "This chunk be all in that blasted town. If it isn't enough, it will have to wait til morning, as there be moments I no be telling which eye it is I be missing."

This speech was slow, and his normal command of language was sloughing off as his Mireish accent started to come through and even a couple mumbled Murggan words came at the end. "Oh and if you be hearing of a fire, it not be us."

He glanced at Sur then he tossed the rock at Ausar.

I'd sleep with his dead lichy daughter on a lumpy mattress, I be so tired. So tired o' bein' a lizard doll. This muck-drinkin' day needs to end.

Suragygh crouched down next to the wall in the small (for him) shade that it offered.

"Well, I'm going to go back to my families dwellings and sleep the rest of the day and into the night. You are welcome to come along."

Once he stood back up and motioned Drage to him.

"Drage, I'm still a bit curious about who bought up all that Elantine, and what where they using it for. I think that's something we can talk about once we've slept, but it was something I didn't want to forget."

He turned to leave. It would be a long walk home, and he could probably fly it, but his poor, bedraggled wings deserved a rest. This time, his feet could do all the work.

Ausar caught the ore and nodded, "Yes this will do." He looked to Gral, "I have prepared my ritual circle at the shop, if you would consent to join me I could use your skills to ensure that this goes well and succeeds."

The monk nodded, "Of course, anything to ensure that the taint of chaos is prevented from causing more harm." Gral gave Drage a questioning look but said nothing at the mention of a fire.

As Sur turned to leaved the Anupan suddenly called to him, "Hold fast sir 'kassim. What was it you said about somebody buying up all the Elantine?" Ausar had for the moment apparently forgotten the chunk of ore in his hands, and was focusing his considerable gaze on Sur. Sur and Drage explained what they had heard to deepening frowns from both Ausar and Gral. "This is worrying indeed. Elantine is vastly powerful in the right hands." He shook his head, "We cannot yet worry over this. Gral and I must lock away this fragment of chaos, then we can turn our attention to this matter of whom is buying up all the Elantine on the island."

Gral nodded as well, "Return here tomorrow and we will discuss this further. In the mean time go and rest, you have earned it."

The Ankassim turned, eyes weary, but not angry.

"I'll do what you request, but I need a good night's sleep as well. Food wouldn't hurt either. Drage, are you coming. Tomorrow we have things to talk about as well. Tonight share my hospitality, and the safety of my Haven."

He waited for the Murg to come up so they would walk together out of the temple district. The Kassim area was in that quarter of the city, with the docks and warehouses to the East, the Markets and bakers to the West, the Temples of shops of the Temple District to the north, and the shipwrights and the craftsmen who built and supplied the goods need to build and repair sailing vessels.

The wide Kassim roads meant there was plenty of non-Kassim traffic through the areas at most times before sunset. Traffic was much less today. Suragygh knew they could make good time. He wanted to get home and have his wounded tended to so it didn't burn from within and cause the scales to flake off. That would not be good.

Still, he waited Drage. If the Murg wouldn't share his domicile, he would at least know were he was, should their be trouble. His one-time companion has shown insane courage in the face of saving innocent lives. That was an aspect of the Fight he didn't normally get into. This 'save the lives of everyone around you' wasn't in his lexicon. Sur wasn't sure it belonged there. Time would tell.

Drage looked at Sur. Kassim's domiciles always smelled like a snake pit and Drage didn't really want to stay with the lizard anyway. He was brash, hot-tempered and Drage wasn't quite sure if he trusted him yet. He seemed...a bit off, fanatical about something. Whatever that was.

He had literally appeared out of the crowd at the right moment to help on the task, but moments of fortune were the domain of Quaress...not the Light. One of the light would not have been so quick to leave the people as their town burned either. No matter their actions, none had been damned to be beyond worth saving and yet the Kassim had been more than ready to abandon them to their own means. To deal with the results of the fire that they were responsible for.

No, Drage wasn't going to share the lizard's 'hospitality'. The temple had beds, or a mat at the least and it was still a far cry better than the dirt and rocks he had used for bedding and pillows. "A gracious offer good-Kassim, but I prefer to stay here under the Light as I have when occasion brings me to the town. My brothers under the Twins will provide."

He would repay with what labor he could on the morrow, if nothing else, the last of the purse from the Lich would get thrown into the offering chest minus some to replace supplies to remake his arsenal.

I should make use of the knowledge here and practice my craft. There were so many engravings yet to learn...my armor needs tending as well. Maybe the offering chest will wait.

The night passed in still and sweltering heat, as previous nights all had. The city simmered, and those within seemed all on edge, the heat was driving the citizens to the limits of their endurance and tempers were fraying. Neither Sur or Drage was in a position to notice it fully, tired as they were. The pair parted ways at the temple, spending time apart in rest with family or friends.

When morning came both felt better for the rest, though neither welcomed the searing rays of sun that once more blasted over the eastern shore. It was starting to feel that even the night was not dissipating the heat any, that in a matter of days the entire city and island would be burned clean under the light, reduced to cinder and ash what could burn, and scorched black what would not. The garden of the Light was once more quiet, almost peaceful, but few petitioners remained, the heat was drawing off even the faithful.

Ausar was absent, leaving only Brother Gral to greet the pair. The man looked tired, dark circles under his eyes and a pallid complexion telling the two that the man had not slept much, if at all. "Your thanks once more my friends, even now Ausar is working the ritual to bind the chaotic energies within the Elanil. He was beginning the creation of the runes and sigils to ensure that the corruption cannot escape when I left him a scant hour gone." He rubbed at his eyes with one hand and the other fumbled into the pocket of his robe. Withdrawing his hand he held it out to them, sitting in his palm were the two gems from two days before. "Your eye, and your pearl, they have been rid of the taint, and further cleansed of corruption. The blessings of the light now suffuse each now." He offered the gems to them, "Please, do not fear them, I assure you that the power of the twins has rid them both of all evil."

Rewards
+1 pp

In addition the gems that you volunteered to hold the chaos energy have been changed by the corruption and subsequent cleansing. Both are now magic items ...

Drage Eye's - Senses 2 [Detect (Chaos Energy; visual)]

The 'kassim Pearl - Sense 4 [Precognition (Uncontrolled)]

Both are removable but gain no cost savings for it (since they do not have enough points to gain one.

Archived