Mutants & Masterminds: Lake City Universe - M&M 3E - LCU: Alliance OS1 (IC)

Heritage

Not long after the facsimiles crested the dune, a voice crackled over some hidden loudspeakers placed in the nearest support pylon; it was speaking stilted English with a thick Japanese accent.

"Attention approaching individuals! This is Shinobu Sato, administrator of Himawari Station; you are trespassing on private property! Please remain in place until security skimmer arrives at your location!"

- - - -

Meanwhile back at the Magic Crab, the onboard AI was attempting to distract itself by constucting elaborate holographic models of various Terran architectural masterpieces out of 'playing cards'; each simulated card was programed to have mass and physical characteristics, and as each card shimmered into place, the crew cabin, which was now free of all chairs and obstructions, became home to the Cathedral of Notre Dame, the Colliseum and other structures. Apparently the team's radio silence was proving to be harder to deal with than 'she' expected.

This is stupid, 'thought' the Ditra-tinged AI. I should be incapable of worrying! I guess I can check on my two patients for the two millionth time this minute...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Seems like a reasonable response," Sigil said mildly. "They didn't just start with arrows or black magic. I can whip up some blowing sand to cover you as you take the place of your images. We should probably have a cover story as well. I'd suggest we claim to be on official business, but were forced to land by some kind of problem with our ship. Though I'm not sure how to demonstrate our official status. Any ideas?"

Meanwhile, the images stopped where they were. The false Sigil dropped to a knee, looking exhausted, while the false Aurelius leaned down to offer her support. Fake Lusungu raised her hands.

Dust and sand curled around them, driven by what seemed like a gust of wind. In just a moment it would be thick enough to block the images...and anyone moving up behind them...from sight

"If you can construct illusions like those", Aurelius said, glancing back at Sigil (the real one) momentarily before returning his gaze to the utterly-convincing 'shadows' of the three of them, "then perhaps you can create false documents for us?"

Shifting his attention to Lusungu, the disguised XP asked her, "What do you mean 'stay out'? What are you thinking of?"

"No time," Sigil said, "We have to move."

She gave a look at Lusungu and nodded. "I'll trust you on this. Stay out, but keep in contact with these magic earpieces."

Sigil then gestured for Aurelius to follow, and hurried to take the place of her illusory double before the equally illusory dust devil had to settle down, or no longer be believable.

In a few minutes, an open-air skimmer came zipping out of the murky space beneath the raised field of solar panels; it appeared to be a boxy industrial model, dull orange with black and yellow stripes at various points around the hull and two flashing yellow lights. Standing on the deck were two figures in jumpsuits, one orange and one red, with dust goggles and respirator masks covering most of their faces. The one in orange was working a pair of control handles and looked to be female, while the one if red, who firmly clutched the railing around the edge of the skimmer, looked to be male. Based on their slight builds, they were both probably Asian.

The skimmer came to light on the sand next to the trio, its whining turbofans kicking up a great deal of sand. The man in red indicated the three strangers should clamber aboard and hold on to the railing.

Archived