Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - In the Light of Day

z023

Tahir knew that the Storm King was stronger than he – far stronger and more powerful. Tahir was dead; he’d challenged a more powerful king and he wouldn’t be walking away. The fatalistic expression that crept into his eyes told Ein his thoughts; Ein was familiar with that look. The golden paws gripped the soil and then he sprang.

At Tahir’s roar, Morri was spinning, and then just gone. A blur of red tracked her as she spent a few precious seconds looking for him before realizing that he was right where she’d just been. As a result, she was behind Ein when the lion pounced. That didn’t honestly matter; she could have been in the next city and she still could stop him. She streaked around Ein and caught her friend. Her momentum canceled his and she checked him as gently as she could, wincing at the pained grunt he made despite her efforts.

Holding the massive beast in a secure hug, Morri looked at Ein, her expression incredulous. “What the bloody hell?!” she spat.

“A challenge.” His eyes were the frost-blue that she so loved to see; it meant that his enemies would be swept away. But until today, his enemies had been her enemies.

“A challenge over what?” Sakura was already stirring behind Einherjar, and Morri really didn’t need to ask. But the words came out, along with her disbelief.

“A woman.”

The day was full of firsts. Ein had seen many expressions on his ward’s face over the years, especially disappointment. But never had it been directed at him before. “You’re fighting with my guest over some tail?” Morri asked. When he opened his mouth, she snapped, “No. You’re a King, the Storm King. Why are you scrabbling in the dirt for something you could have anywhere? For something you have every night? For something you could have with a dozen women around the palace?”

Tahir, having caught his breath, snarled and began to struggle in earnest. Before Ein could answer, Morri said, “I have to take him home before he’s a bigger idiot than he’s already been. Enjoy your woman.” And she disappeared, hugging her lion to her chest.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Allen ... Allen was the name I was given when I was in hiding. I hardly consider it my name. I took the name Shaman for my own, when I was out in the wild places. It sang in my heart, if you know what I mean?"

"I do," Jason agreed. "It's different for everyone I guess. Some Novas take new names, some prefer to keep their old ones. To each their own," said the woman called Jason. Full lips pursed, but she left her thought unsaid, Shaman seeming overcome by the plethora of beauty around him at the moment. You think of Allen as the name you used in hiding... Why not think of it as the name given to you by those who raised you, cared for you and loved you as their own?

With the arrival of the darkly seductive Darrik, she didn't blame Shaman his libidinous distraction. Jason arched a perfect brow, nodding her greeting, a mild curve to her lips. This young man had an intense and intrusive sexuality that exceeded any male model she had posed with, and some of them could melt steel with the heat of their gaze. "Jason, a pleasure. Another of Shen's wards I've heard named but hadn't yet met. This is my daughter, Danica."

The young girl simply gawked at him, then pressed herself to her mother's side, only sneaking peeks at him, her cheeks red. Darrik noticed the cool light in Jason's eyes, a warning every mother gave over-sexualized young men around their daughters. And that light was still there as she watched Shaman stagger away with concern. She tensed to follow him, then relaxed as Morri beat her to it, and thought she was a better choice to help him in this matter, at least at the moment.

The crack of lightning brought her to her feet, her eyes darting to Ein, but he was only following after Sakura, having made her apologies and turned to left. Her brows lowered over deep, indigo eyes. She had never seen Ein so blatant in his desires, not seen so readily on his face and posture at any rate.

Then Tahir roared.

"Dear me. I wonder what the palace staff will say?"

Jason gave the coy boy a disapproving look, catching the tone of Einherjar's rumbling reply. "It's not what the palace staff will have to say, it's all of Kinsh-Damn!" she exclaimed, catching a brief sight of a golden lion flung across the garden through the trees. "This isn't good."

Jason patted her daughter on the shoulder and kissed on the head, then pulled her to her feet. "Baby, get in the air and get ready to fly. I'm going to see what the trouble is." Danica obeyed with alacrity - though carefree, her and her mother had endured the attentions of Motherhunters before, she knew when to listen. Jason stood up and glided across the garden, seeing Einherjar stride from the atrium and a disheveled Tahir cradled in Morri's arms.

"Try again," Ein suggested, folding his arms across his broad chest, punctuated by a crack of thunder despite the clear sky.

"Men!" Jason snorted, folding her own arms beneath her prominent bosom, brows lowered in disgust. Before she could make her own complaint about Nova-level roughhousing with her daughter in the vicinity, Morri tore a strip from Ein's super-tough hide, and then another by disappearing from sight, Tahir in tow, though her implied 'easiness' was bit hurtful.

Morri gone, Jason arched brow at Einherjar in disappointment, but it wasn't severe. Unfortunately, she was well acquainted with the effects of a pretty face. "Really, old friend? Trust me, I know men sometimes just have to punch it out, but with a lion? And with my daughter right here in the same garden?"

Sakura peered timidly from around door to the royal apartments and the bedroom that she'd slept in the night before. I doubt I should get comfortable, if I'm causing this much trouble just over breakfast. But where am I going to go, then? Wasn't this my last resort? Dammit. Why can't I control this? Her eyes matched her inner turmoil, watching The Morrigan yell at the Storm King and then disappear with Tahir, and Bombshell scolding him a moment later. Maybe I should just go now, while no one's watching.

Last resort, remember? You know they're waiting somewhere, just watching for you to leave here.

Dammit.

She slipped back into the royal chambers, moving to the room she'd slept in. She closed the door behind her and the window she'd left open, not locking herself in the room but hopefully cutting off most of the effect of the pheromones she gave off. She curled up in one of the overstuffed chairs set in a corner of the room and tried to think of something that would help, either somewhere else to go outside of the Congo or a way to keep her sequestered while she was here. The last thing she wanted to do was break up a family, and from what Morri had said, she was closer to that than her comfort allowed. Mother, is this why you wouldn't keep me?

The decision to go back to Kinshasa for a little while was mostly to give Maia and Justin some time together, and so she could properly say goodbye before leaving for awhile.

He'd gone ahead this morning, wanting to surprise her with something from the market, and she was just finishing getting dressed, about to head to the dining hall for breakfast when she heard Tahir's roar. Taking care not to move so fast as to shred her clothing Maia made her way to the sound, Seeing Jason there, along with Danica and Darrik, and an obviously frustrated and Angry Einherjar.

She moved up her eyes scanning for Tahir who had to have been the one to issue the roar. "Alright, what's going on here?" She moved over heading for Danica, her own instincts to protect those younger than herself operating fully. Since the revelation of her parentage, she'd done plenty of reading. She didn't think Danica in Danger, especially with Jason there, or even Darrik's presence. She wanted to believe he'd take her to safety if the need arose.

Sadly her efforts to protect her clothing were not totally successful, as there were already some rips on the sleeves of her shirt. He red eyes flashed with annoyance. She liked this shirt.

"You want someone to blame, blame the idiot furball that decided Sakura belonged with him, and challenged me." Einherjar stated bluntly, shooting Jason an angry gaze. "And I'll pray you to take note that I didn't discus his retarded fuzzy arse into the next country."

"Wait, he challenged you?" Jason asked, eyebrows climbing up her forehead. "Couldn't you just talk him down? It's not like you at all to fight over a woman."

"Even if I saw room for negotiation on the matter of Sakura, which I don't, he challenged me. I wasn't going to seriously hurt him, but I don't back down from a straight challenge, Jase. You know that." Ein made a flat cutting gesture in the air as thunder rumbled overhead, then glowered up at the rapidly darkening sky. "That's not me." he said flatly. "Who's playing silly buggers with the weather?"

Jason wished she could say what appeared to be lion - magnificent as it was - challenging the King of the Congo for a woman was the strangest thing she had encountered, but the said fact, in the Nova Age, it wasn't - and that was just counting Ibiza. Still, it was up there. Almost as odd, to her at least, was Ein's evident possessiveness of Sakura. He'd defend any and everything that was his, but not like this, not for a woman he had met just last night.

On the other hand, Jason knew many nova supermodels and actors personally. She was well acquainted with the effects extreme attractiveness could cause, and it wasn't always good. She knew of a few who were all but recluses due to the chaos their mere presence. Jason sighed. Seems even Einherjar's iron self-control had its limits.

Jason nodded agreement with Maia, though her indigo eyes never left Ein's hard blue gaze. "It may indeed be your son, Ein. You know nova genetics can be... odd." Full lips curved briefly in a wry smile. "He seemed to be suffering from an overdose of T&A. He left the table to expel some... energy say. Morri went to check on him." She raised an arm and gestured further into the garden. "Shaman went that way, I believe. How 'bout you go check on your son, since Morri is otherwise... occupied." Jason glanced over her shoulder at Maia, arching a brow at her before turning back to Einherjar. "Maybe you too, Maia. And I'll go talk to Sakura, tell her everything is, hmm, fine. Sound good?"

Einherjar's gaze didn't soften, and for a moment, Jason thought he was going to insist on checking on Sakura himself, but finally he nodded, cracked a slight grin that didn't reach his icy eyes. "I should go check on him. Kinshasa should know if it'll have to deal with two men who may have tempestuous tempers."

"Excellent." Jason turned slightly and though she didn't raise her voice, she was clearly heard throughout the garden. "Dani, everything is well. Come join me, we're going to talk a little with Sakura."

"'Kay!" came her high, clear voice. Danica flew over the trees and down to her mother's side, grabbing a hold of her hand and skipping along as Jason began heading towards the guest suite set aside for Sakura. Jason figured since Sakura had reacted so well to Danica, having her daughter along would help ease any tension she was feeling. Also, Danica wouldn't be affected in the same way as the others to Sakura's glamour.

At Sakura's door, Jason raised a hand, then let it drop, when Danica made it plainly known she wanted to knock. She acceded with a little curtsy to her little princess, which made Danica giggle. Danica rapped on the door with a tiny fist, a rapid and exuberant melody.

"Sakura? It's Jason and Danica. I was wondering it you would like to talk, or just some company," Jason asked, her sweet soprano passing through the thick wood as it if wasn't there.

"Just...just a moment." She'd been standing at the patio doors, watching the brewing storm and biting her lip in worry. Well, that's at least one thing I can help with. All of Kinshasa shouldn't have to suffer through a downpour just because....just because of me. She concentrated, feeling the quantum propelled wind and heat currents in the air above her and slowly undid the knots, as she thought of them, until the sky had returned to its originally mostly sunny with puffy clouds good humor. I wish it were that easy for people.

When she opened the door for mother and daughter, she looked...stressed. It didn't seem that she'd been crying, but the room was shut up and had the feel of being upset. "Please, come in." She waved them past the door and towards the sofa and chair in one corner. "Is...is everything okay? I saw Morrigan leave with Tahir...." She fretted, absently picking a blossom of her hair and twirling it to give her fingers something to do. "I didn't mean....I've had people...affected...by me before, but I usually just did whatever I'd come to do and moved on as quickly as I could. I-I can't here, I don't have anywhere else to go. But I don't want to...to cause problems, to be a nuisance to everyone around me."

The young woman looked positively miserable, feeling trapped on both ends and having no clue what to do about it.

Maia nodded, and made her way to where Jason indicated. Actively she sought out Shaman's own unique quantum signature, and found it readily. Her smile vanished as she saw Shaman moving around looking hurt and confused.

"Shaman..." Maia stood there, a few small tears in the sleeves of her shirt, and looking quite concerned. "Obviously you aren't alright. Come on, let's get you looked at, and make sure you aren't hurt."

Her tone was classic for sisterly affection, and easily identifiable as such. She didn't reach out to touch him, remembering that first time, but she was fairly close by. "I'll help you if I can."

"I need ..."

'I need to get boned!'

'What about Sakura?'

'What about Darrik?'

'With a Bombshell on the side?'

'Now we've passed delirious into the realm of insanity.'

Shaman smiled dreamily.

'And don't forget the Parrot?'

'Parrot - Sakura - prove our devotion? Any of this ringing a bell?'

"... a parrot. I think Sakura would like a parrot. A really pretty one."

He looked up at Maia,

"Can you help me find the right kind?" he said, his speech still slurred.

'Man! Our sister is HOT!'

(slap)

Shaman looks at her as if she just told him the sky was pink.

'How can she not know?'

'Maybe she doesn't know, numb nuts?'

'...'

"Sakura is the Green Lady, the Maiden of the Mists, the Blossom of the Flower's First Opening ... um, the lady covered with leaves, with green skin?"

'And don't forget, she's going to by my new Mother ... or have my love child?'

'...'

'Okay, let's think this over ... Mother ... Lover ..."

"AAAAAHhhahhahahhaghaghaghhghhahhh!'

'Feel better now?'

'Hold on - answer in a moment, busy scrubbing our brain.'

'Ow, ow, ow ...'

"I ... I need to know what the parrot looks like and then I can summon one."

'Dude?'

'Huh.'

'Dude, you're looking at her boobies!'

(goes back to brain scrubbing)

"I think I missed her Shaman."

She shook her head. "Well, let's go to the market then, I'm sure we can find several kinds there, or we can go find an opnet terminal, and I can show you pictures of different birds on it."

"Which would you like to do?"

She might be his sister, but she was still one of the most impossibly beautiful women on the planet, and she was looking to spend at least a little time with him it seemed.

Shaman tries to look at Maia, but has to turn away.

"I...ah... really should look at living parrots. It makes feeling them out in the wild to be easier."

'Man, this is some really good looking dirt.'

'Yeah, dirt ... I wonder if the dirt fights for the right to get up between her toes?

'Her? you mean Maia?'

'...'

'Hmmm...'

"Maia, is it hard to be you? Do you think that looking the way you do makes it hard for people to get to know you?"

"Most of the time."

She looked at him. "My siblings have it easier than most, they're used to it, and most have seen me nude at least twice, generally for the same reasons. She smiled. "My boyfriend pretty openly stared at me, and did his best not to. I caught him a few times, but the fact he tried so hard made him alot of points."

She nodded. "He was baseline when we first met, and I hadn't gone through apothesis yet." She nodded. "He's the exception to the rule though, and I've started working towards lessening the impact."

Her shoulders slumped slightly. "It's not going too well though, but I'll keep working at it. I don't like to cause trouble for others." This was obviously a subject she'd devoted alot of time to thinking about, and her failure here clearly marred her pride.

She looked at him. "Let's get you cleaned up and in some clean clothes, then we'll go to market to see if we can find a parrot for Sakura then."

Jason took the proffered love seat, sitting down with unconscious, unmatched grace, and crossed her long legs, while Danica joined Sakura on the sofa, sitting right by her side, watching the Green Woman fiddle with one of her flowers; Danica began playing the flowers in her braid in imitation - Sakura looked sad and she wanted her to know she still liked the blossoms she had gifted her.

Jason smiled in commiseration at the young woman. There were many - too many - of the preternaturally beautiful who whined about the attention they received, even as they craved and reveled in it. And then there were others to whom it became too much of a good thing, when stress between flesh and quantum caused one's appearance to have an uncanny or disturbing quality.

She had a friend, Donata Gryzcon, extremely stunning with slender curves, though she wasn't nearly at attractive as Sakura, let alone herself, yet all anyone saw her as was a sex object. It ended being so stressful to her and her husband that they had moved to an isolated farmstead in the far north of Saskatchewan, and she had become a shut-in recluse. She always appreciated when Jason visited, since she was one of the rear few who could control herself around her, who saw her as a person instead of a fucktoy.

Jason wasn't sure if it was pheromones or something else. but it seemed Sakura was afflicted with something similar.

"Everything's fine, Sakura," Jason assured her in her melodious tones, lips curving in a brief grin. "Just alpha males having a tiff. If it'll ease your worry, Tahir looked more surprised than hurt, and it could have been much worse." Jason glanced out the window, noting the clear, blue sky. "Ein or Shaman have already seemed to cool down and Kinshasa is used to dealing with storms and rain. No one blames you. You may have a strong effect, but it's up to others how they act and react to it."

Jason leaned forward, her loose, silken blouse revealing more of the enticing length of her cleavage, and patted Sakura's knee in consolation. Jason may have had control of her emotions and self, but Sakura was a rare beauty and if she was young, well, at forty, she herself didn't look much older, and she admired the sight of the melancholy woman. But it had been a long time since she was a fool for a pretty face and she wasn't about to revert. Besides, she needed more of a connection than just looks to ever consider anything more.

"I wish I could tell you there is an easy solution for your... effect, but there really isn't. Everyone has their own solution, that mainly being finding out what you can endure and what you can accept your presence causing." Sakura could see Jason's eyes dim, recollecting her own trials before she was able to provoke only the reactions she wished (mostly), but Jason shook her head minutely, dismissing the memories and offering Sakura another smile.

"You are wrong about one thing, though, Sakura. You may have come to here for safety, but you aren't limited to the Palace. You have all of the Congo to dwell in, if you wish. I have a small home by a tiny village where the people have largely... acclimatized to my presence. If you need to get away for a time, I'm sure you can find a refuge somewhere in the Congo - there still remains a great deal of uninhabited wilderness."

Jason sat back in her chair, regarding Sakura with heavy lidded eyes. "I'd be willing to offer my island home off the coast of Australia. It's very peaceful, surrounded by nothing but blue horizons, no one else within a hundred miles, I can show you, if you like. For me, it's no more than a step away."

Left unsaid, though still conveyed by a sardonic curve of Jason's lips, was the fact the island didn't come with an Einherjar - it's safety came from no one knowing when or if you were there.

Danica - either missing or misunderstanding the look - was practically bouncing on the sofa in excitement. "You'd like there, Sakura! No water is as blue and no sand is as white and there are flowers and things almost as pretty as you - as yours there. Can we show her Pumpkin Island, mommy? Can we?"

The Spring Maiden shook her head; she glanced at Danica and tried not to frown, hesitating to explain such things around a young and carefree child, but this was important. She attempted a smile at Dani, "Perhaps for a visit sometime, little one." It might have been condescending from other adults, but for Sakura it was just a description and something of a nick-name for young children.

Her eyes darted back up to Jason and she said quietly, "I tried going to isolated, unknown places. They always found me, usually after only a day or so; sometimes even within hours. It's not the place, it's the security that Kinshasa, even the royal palace itself - if King Einherjar will let me stay after the debacle this morning - that grants me safety. They just attacked before. Here, they's be attacking in a city with high technology security and many novas to deal with, not just counting the King. I may not be able to blend in, but even standing out, I'd be hard to target."

"Also, I don't want my children to have to grow up alone. Even at home, deep in the woods and miles and miles from the nearest town, kids still came out to play and wander around." Her brow knit and she stopped spinning the flower, holding it tightly by the bud. "I can...make it a little easier to be around me, sometimes. I haven't...um...how to say? I haven't stretched that way much before, but I suppose I should spend some time practicing." Her eyes dipped down to the flower, and when she looked up at Jason it was through shy lashes, "Do think he'll let me stay? Or that I won't make the entire palace go...awry, let's say that, if I stay?"

Morri dropped Tahir the moment that she saw the hills of the Primal Lands. Tahir spun on her and attacked. Morri caught him and used his momentum to tumble him past her. “You interfered!” Tahir snarled as she leapt at her again.

“Yes, I did!” Morri replied, once again using her superior abilities to force her friend to a standstill. “I stopped a friend from making a fool of himself!”

“I knew what I was doing!” Tahir raged.

“Yes, you were fighting for a woman, a human woman! You told me human women weren’t attractive to you, so why were you making such an idiot of yourself?” Morri shouted back. “It’s not like she’ll ever want to have sex with a lion!”

And then she wasn’t staring at lion anymore; he was a naked young man, golden of hair and skin. His blue eyes were the same, but that wasn’t what Morri was really seeing. All she saw was an animal becoming a man, just like with Khatar. “I can-”

She almost gutted Tahir; her sword was in her hand and swinging before she consciously thought about the action. And it was only chance that she met his eyes in time to alter her swing. The sword missed him by less than an inch and left them both staring and trembling. Then Tahir was Tahir again, safely a lion – only she knew the truth. He could hurt her. He was like Khatar. “What just happened?” Tahir whispered.

“Go back to your Tribe,” Morri said, her voice hoarse. “I have to figure out if you’re still welcome at the palace. I’ll come for you.”

“I can’t go back.” Tahir’s head drooped a little. “You know… you know that.”

“Then go to the cave,” Morri replied. Her hands were shaking, she realized. I almost killed my friend because he changed his shape. And now I look at him and think ‘he could rape me’. Turning, she walked away from him, counting out her steps. She needed to deal with that. But first, she had other things to deal with.

If I was just in the garden… then this should be… the right room on the other side. Morri had once had the intelligence of an animal, but she’d come a long way since then, rising to new heights of brain-power. Long experience with stepping between the worlds had given her a good feel for it, too, and now she knew where to go to cross over exactly where she wanted.

At her chosen spot, she stopped and looked back. Tahir was staring at her, his expression mournful. “I promise I’ll come back,” she assured him. “Just… really think about Sakura, please. You’d have to give up being Reth for her.”

“I… I might be willing to do that,” Tahir said, looking a little surprised by his own words. “I could live in your world, with her at my side.”

Morri felt a surge of anger – what was so special about this woman? She was bloody well going to find out. Without replying to that idiocy, she released a surge of quantum that threw her back across the worlds, back to home. She was standing in the guest room assigned to Sakura and was thankful to see that Ein wasn’t here, doing distressing things with the woman. But Jason and Danica were there. Morri blinked and nodded to them. “Jason. Danica. May I have a word with our guest alone?” Her crystal circlet gleamed at her brow as she added with a shaky smile, “I have a few things to get clarification on.”

"I understand, Sakura and Einherjar does as well. He'll let you stay," Jason assured the younger woman, her mellifluous tones soothing and compassionate.

She felt a surge of sympathy for her plight. While some of her various houses were remote, they were more to escape public scrutiny and the media for a time, rather than to escape motherhunters. She had chosen another way to deal with them, using her fame, good reputation, and legion of friends and fans to make targeting her unpalatable and causing more trouble than it was worth. True, however, she wasn't known to be able to cure infertility in novas, nor for seeking political power (though she had her share, regardless). And though it came with its own set of complications, Danica at least had a life that was more than hiding and included friends and the chance to socialize.

"As for making the palace go awry... " Jason gave her a droll smile and gestured at her with a flick of her slender fingers, opalescent nails flashing in the sunlight. "Even without your... complication, such as you and I and <sigh> my daughter here, I'm sure - when she grows up," Danica beamed, "will always have a drastic effect wherever we choose to dwell. It will take time and adjustment, for both you and them, to find a new equilibrium." Jason flowed to her feet and flashed Sakura a scintillating, encouraging grin. "But I'm sure all involved are more than willing to make the effort, eh?"

She glided to Sakura's side, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder, and Sakura could feel the strength and fierce passion in that touch, which Jason was willing to use on her behalf. "The offer to visit my homes is still open of course. Sometimes, it's nice to get away, and no one said you'd have to go alone." Her eyes brightened and hardened with resolute determination, like flawess, indigo gemstones. Jason was a woman, a mother, who had lost her wife while Danica had yet been born and who had fought - and killed - for her and her daughter's life. "The motherhunters have found hunting me and mine-"

Jason suddenly felt a new pair of eyes on her back and spun around, arching a brow at finding Morri there. Her look swiftly turned to one of concern however - she had rarely seen Morri looking so wan and shaken, her face taking on a greyish pallor, and last time had to have been before Danica was born.

"Jason. Danica. May I have a word with our guest alone?” Morri asked with a ragged smile, a slight quaver to her voice. “I have a few things to get clarification on.”

Jason's eyes narrowed as she glanced at Sakura and back.At the moment, Morri seemed far from her volatile self, she didn't believe Sakura was in any danger, not from Morri and the bloody blades at least. Jason nodded, her silver mane rippling with a waterfall under sunlight. "If Sakura is comfortable with that, I certainly have no objections. Sakura?"

"O-Of course, I have no-no problems with speaking with you alone, Morrigan," Sakura said with a slight stammer, sitting straighter on the sofa and firming her slender shoulders.

"Okay, then. C'mon, Danica, we'll go through some steps and forms." Jason held out her hand for her daughter to take.

Danica had other ideas, folding her arms across her chest and pouting. "I wanna stay. Morri and Sakura are both my friends. I can help them be friends too!"

Danica's resistance was instantly quelled by a warning light in the eyes and a mild frown from her mother, and she immediately hopped to her feet and took her mother's hand. Jason smiled and ruffled her hair, then nodded graciously at the two women. "Sakura, Morri. If you need me - either of you - just call, and I'll come. We'll be in the gardens, by the Fountain of the Land Titans. Come along, Dani."

Danica gave Sakura and Morri a little wave, "Bye!" then taking the proffered practice sword from her mother, was already making flourishing lunges as they passed through the door, which Jason closed soundlessly behind them.

"That's a good ..."

'Uh-oh ...'

"Maia, I ... I don't have any other clothes. I lost my pack near Calgary and only had the clothes on my back when I was picked up in the Pacific."

'... this ... sucks.'

"I have some Canadian Dollars in my pocket ... maybe two thousand."

'What kind of parrot will that get me?'

'Why don't you summon one, dummy?'

'Yeah, there is that.'

Shaman's head was clearing as as he moved away from the central palace. He began to stand taller and moved with a steadier purpose.

"Fly?" he asked. "Ma ... Sis, I love to fly. There is hardly anything I love more."

The winds whipped around him and Shaman sprang aloft. Maia could see much of the hurt and worry abate somewhat as he rose into the overcast skies. He turned and arched over the garden walls, twisting around and accelerating away toward the commercial district that Warren had first brought him and Cora to.

'Clearing the old head, eh?'

'Oh, but we're free.'

'Free to buy some clothes at least.'

'So, anyone have an idea how we are going to get money?'

'If we rely on our looks, we're sunk.'

'Funny, funny, funny.'

Maia nodded, and sighed, the shirt was already ruined due to the damage to the sleeves. "No helping it now."

To beautiful white-feathered wings erupted from her back and she took to the sky, looking like the epitome of the divine angel of beauty, much as her mother had. She looked to him, her hands holding her shirt, tying the remains behind her neck to keep from flashing everyone. "Looks like I'll need to get a new shirt while we're out too."

Shaman laughed.

"I hear that novas can do something about these ... clothing malfunctions. I'm not sure how that works."

'Does it matter? What if I decide to go around naked?'

'Hmmm ...'

'How about the laughter of little children as you go by?'

'Would not!'

'Would so!'

"Wait, you don't have magic clothing, or that clothing trick? How come?"

'How about being an ass.'

'Whoops.'

"I mean you've experienced so much. Is there some trick I might not be able to learn?"

"Most of my siblings have something to that effect, I don't. A quirk in my quantum signature I guess. I kill Eufiber when I come in contact with it, and even when I attune clothing, it's unprotected from my might. using anything over a third of my power starts to shred anything I have on."

She looked abit chagrined by this. "It's fairly annoying. Nice clothing is almost a waste for me."

Sakura merely nodded assent at Morri’s request, her eyes wide. Morri managed a smile for Danica and Jason, but it didn’t hold once the door was shut. There was a long moment of silence as the two women watched one another, though Sakura felt a little like Morri was staring through her and not at her.

“I can smell what you’re doing,” Morri said, her voice stiff. “You will cease or we will have a problem. And you do not want to have a problem with me.”

“The pheromones?” Sakura asked softly. “I can’t help that. They won’t stop. I can control them, turn them down to a point, but never turn them off.”

Morri frowned. “That alone wouldn’t make Tahir, a lion who isn’t sexually attracted to humans, want to defy his throne and the pride of his entire people to have you.”

Sakura deflated. “There is an effect that makes people act oddly around me,” she said in a near-whisper. “I can’t stop it. It’s why I keep moving… but I need King Einherjar’s protection and I can’t keep running.”

Morri knew the reason for that – she could smell it on the woman. Also, she endorsed not running to anyone. Had she run when freed from the cage, she had no doubt she’d be little better than an animal, instead of the princess of the Congo and a queen of the Primal Lands. “So what would you have me do?” Morri asked, spreading her hands wide. “I cannot let you ruin Einherjar. I cannot let your uncontrolled powers make Tahir throw his life away. So what can be done to protect those I love from you? Please give me a suggestion other than removing you. You are a guest, and you are pregnant. Killing you hold no appeal to me. But I will protect that which is dear to me.”

Morri was shaking, her slim body shivering with the power of her emotions. After nearly killing Tahir, her emotions were running high, and her fear was coursing through her body in bursts of adrenaline. Part of her just wanted to kill and be done with it. But another part of her knew that she couldn’t kill her way out of every problem. And if Sakura wasn’t in control, then she needed help. Morri had once been out of control, but she’d been given help. And now, she was going to do that for someone else.

In the palace gardens, the birds screeched uneasily.

At the mention of killing her, Sakura pulled tightly into a ball on the chair, curling around her unborn children and staring up at the Morrigan with wide eyes; fear radiated off of her, only adding to the the Morrigan's own agitation. Whatever problems she might currently be causing, the woman's reaction was obviously not that of a violent person. "I-I don't know. You don't think I've been sitting here, trying to figure that out? I don't have anywhere left to go!" She shuddered, trying not to cry, "They've found me everywhere. They probably know exactly where I am now, they just can't attack me here."

"What am I supposed to do, Morrigan? Just sit here and let you kill me? Or leave and let the others kill me? I'm not trying to cause problems. Tell Tahir that he's a lovely lion, but I'm human. I'm never going to be attracted to him that way, and if he's anything like a normal lion, I'm never going to live in that sort of...of culture. I know how lions treat cubs that aren't their own. I won't let him do that to my children." She was shaking from the effort of not breaking down into a sobbing mess now. "I can't even just leave for the jungles. The Congo might be one of the safest places in the world and the jungle itself wouldn't hurt me, but really, how hard would it be to sneak a small team into a vastly underpopulated area, kill me, and get out before anyone even knew what was going on?"

"I'm trapped, Morrigan." She looked up at the feral nova, her green eyes even more intense for the emotion they conveyed. "I can't be anywhere, it seems. If I'm alone in nature, I'm vulnerable, but if I'm around people....they just....they get strange. They won't let me be and they end up getting into fights with each other."

She finally surrendered to the torrent of emotions rolling though her, burying her head in her knees and weeping uncontrollably. Through the tears she managed to wimper, "I just wanted a family. Like all the other families I helped build. I just wanted one of my own...."

Darrik watched the whole scene and then left, with a satisfied smirk. Ein and Tahir had made fools out of themselves. And he could be more patient. As long as she refused them, he had no need to worry about staking a claim until he had solid ground to secure Sakura's desires. Indeed, it would help to know more about her later...

Gwen and Agatha pushed into his head, and he scowled with frustrated feelings. He shouldn't be betraying them- but Sakura seemed to override them... patience, Darrik..

“Stop crying.” Morri’s voice was gruff, but Sakura could hear the discomfort in the feral’s voice. Apparently, she didn’t handle tears well, hers or others. “If you knew all of this… nevermind. What is done is done, and we can only move forward. I can take you someplace where the Motherhunters cannot get you. You may still have issues with people fighting over you, but if you truly wish to be safe, it will be safe from them. There are other dangers...” Her voice trailed off and she shrugged, as if to say there were dangers everywhere.

“I can understand the desire for a family. I want children myself, someday,” Morri told her. Another thing my own fears are denying me. “And if you destroy the joy I have found here, I have few other places to go myself. I understand being trapped. So when I say that if you ruin Einherjar, I will not be able to stop my reaction to that.

“If you stay, and you take him to your bed, I insist that you tell him what you’ve told me, and that you make him understand that before you… do anything,” Morri added. She’d never meddled in Ein’s affairs in bed before; even when he’d scared her by taking Jason as his lover, she hadn’t said anything to them. She’d been scared, but not like this. This was almost worse than the time she’d seen him shaking hands with Kazuo and thought Ein meant to sell her. “If you are gold-digging for a crown, I’ll take your head off before your neck starts to hurt from the weight.”

“I swear, I just want-“

“Then we should have no problems,” Morri interrupted, tired of this conversation and the fear that gnawed at her belly. She hesitated then added softly, “I hope you understand… I’m protecting my family, too. I don’t hate you. I don’t know you. If all you want is protection, I will give it, just as Ein will. That I swear. We will make sure your children grow up safe and that you are safe. Is that clear?”

Meanwhile... 10 miles from Kinshasha... a few minutes ago.

"Bloody hell... The weathermen even in this age can't get the weather right." Kamiko cursed over the growing storm. She starts trying to remember her radio channels for the region and changes her earbud under her helmet to the proper frequency. "Tower, this is Nova Flight 226 from Johannesburg to Kinshasha, I'm running into turbulence and flight conditions have degredaded past IFR. Sudden squall... please be advised."

The rumble of thunder scares the fear of god into her spine. Then she is rocked by a downdraft. The sudden distraction of the thunder follwed by the sudden onrush of air scatters her plane to the four winds. It takes her what seems for an eternity just to right herself and open her parachute after getting out of the downdraft as the jungle below rushes up to meet her, and the raging Congo itself. "Mayday, this is flight 226, lost flight capability and under canope."

She's on the border... a dangerous place to be for a young nova. She lands hard on Ein's side of the Congo on the riverbank. It takes a second or two for her to reconnoiter.

"Flight 226, radio your position, over."

"Tower, this is Paper 1, I'm on the ground. Sprained ankle but otherwise fine." Kamiko says as the rains come in. "No assistance required. I can walk it."

"Roger that, Paper 1. Welcome to Kinshasha."

Kamiko switches her comlink to her usual channel back home. "Mom, this is Kamiko, you read?"

"Ah, you should have arrived by now... wait... what are you doing in the congo itself?"

"On the riverbank, actually... Sudden storm. Know anything about any rogue weather conditions?"

"Negatory... I'll talk to the Japan Meteorlogical Society and see what they can tell me. Get to your rendevous in the capitol. Keep calm, the outer parts of the city are just a kilometer away."

"Good... Thanks for letting me use the waterproofed bags by the way, they'll come in handy."

"Pleasure is mine. Now make the Den look good now, dear."

"I will."

Kamiko starts her walk into town after taking after hitting a couple of buttons on the chute harness, causing the synthetic eufiber to self-fold back into the chute pack. As she walks the storm continues to brew. She hefts her two bright yellow bags more suited for carrying things unto a yacht than a airplane over her shoulders and walks on. It's a tough walk, but she's in the shape for it. As she arrives, the townsfolk look at her flightsuited self with a mix of puzzlement, distrust, and curiosity. She flips the sun visor up on her helmet and looks about.

"Can anyone point me in the direction of the palace?" She says in a generic, new-england accented English.

Many of the villagers point to the palace which is a couple kilometers further inland. "Thank you..."

"What business you have with the king?"

"Actually... In a way I was summoned by people working with him. I need to get things straight before I know my entire role in this matter... Trust me my intention is to pay my respects to his Majesty and to do my just work."

Her tone is quite diplomatic... odd for her manner of dress. "Now if you excuse me."

She walks along the suprisingly paved roads. Mixtures of old and new... Kinshasha. "Impressive..." She calls the number she was given to contact the Palace.

"This is Kamiko Hideyoshi. I'm here as a representative of the Den of the Dragon, Hanaryuko if going by our Japanese name. If anyone can talk to my contact here to arrange a meeting together that would be appreciated."

"We're currently tied up at the Palace, Miss Hideyoshi, but His Majesty would like to extend his greetings while matters are addressed. I will endeavor to relay your message as best we can."

She knows this is simply a scripted response... the sudden storm... busy at the palace... "I hope things will be resolved in the positive. Thank you for your time. Goodbye."

She disconnects and continues her walk to the palace. Wondering exactly what she's going to do now... "Remember Kamiko... follow everyone's lead and don't step on any toes..."

Ein could hear the conversation happening in the room not fifty feet from where he stood, and scowled. Morri was back... and interfering. How dare she come between him and Saku-

Wait. Think.

Had he ever been possessive of anyone like this before? Not concern for their well-being or love, such as with Morri, but simply wanting someone, body and soul? And yet... He did want Sakura. He was glad she had nowhere safe to go save here, because it meant she could be his. He would make her his Royal Consort, and treat her children well. Perhaps he could even father children on her, to further bind her to him-

He shook his shaggy blond head, scowling angrily at himself. What the hell was the matter with him? Knocking a woman up just to keep her? Being glad that someone was terrified to move beyond his arm's reach? He could try and justify it any way he liked, but the truth of the matter was that what he was considering was exploitation of a woman's fear for herself and her children.

No. Way. In. Hell.

Morri was right: he was the Storm King. Even his enemies knew him to have a rigid code of honor that, whilst rough and ready, was made from chains stronger than his own muscles. It was a self-imposed limit, a way of reining in his worse nature so he didn't become the monster he feared, secretly, that he could become. Another Totentanz, or worse. A creature of rage and instinct backed by formidable intellect and a genius for battle. He would not become that tyrant, would not step over the line from the grey moral path he walked into darkness.

"Esperance." he sent over the palace radio system to one particular set on the desk of his seneschal. "There has been a slight incident, nothing that cannot be cleared up. I want you to convey my personal regrets and apologies for my conduct to Konohanasakuyahime. Tell her that I am deeply sorry, and that there will be no repeat of this incident. She will know what you mean, and why I cannot deliver the apology personally. Then I want you, with care and consideration, to have her moved to the southeast guest wing of the palace. See to her every comfort and double the security on her, but no restrictions on her movements. If she asks, tell her that it is MY wish that she stay as long as she cares to, as my guest and under my protection, with nothing asked in return. She is also to be given access to your phone, in case she has any requirements. Is that all clear?" On receiving an acknowledgement, Ein signed off and blew out a gust of breath, looking up at the stormy sky.

"That's going to stop right bloody now." he muttered as he strode away from the Royal apartments, the blue-white aurora of his anima flaring into life as he exerted his legendary, even by nova standards, control over the weather. Abruptly all unnatural quantum manipulation, conscious or unconscious, over the weather in the city of Kinshasa was stifled, snuffed out like a birthday candle. Those novas who flew by manipulating winds were unaffected, as their small personalised winds were not the target of the King's control. But the storm clouds were dispersed, the blue sky and sunlight beaming through as the tropical city returned to it's usual happy climate.

Ein's got Weather Control 6 with Mastery 1. Unless someone with equal or better power over the weather is responsible for the current shenanigans, it's pretty much a null contest.

As the skies returned to normal, an aide came rushing up to where the king was sitting down to resume his breakfast. Ein sighed, then cocked an expectant eyebrow at the eager young man.

"Begging your pardon, Majeste, but there is a lady here from something called the Den of the Dragon who wishes to speak with you. Her name is Kamiko Hideyoshi. Our intelligence tells us that she is the child of-"

"Doryoku and Long." Ein finished, nodding. "I remember. I met Long a few times in the old days, even fought against him once."

"Who won, sire?" the aide asked, wide-eyed.

"No one." Ein grinned. "The fight was a misunderstanding, and we calmed it down once it was plain we wanted the same thing. Fog of war nearly cost someone their life that day." He cast a wry glance at the aide. "Tell Esperance that I am currently free. Ms Hideyoshi has until noon to discuss whatever business brings her to the Congo. Show her to my office." He looked at the breakfast table somewhat mournfully, his stomach growling. "I'm going to load up a plate and head over there."

Kamiko respectfully takes her boots off and places then in a sack. Wouldn't want to dirty his Majesty's floors as she tromps about. She puts on a pair or respectable shoes in their stead and stuffs the boots in one of her not as stuffed bags and takes them with her. One of Ein's attendants tries to insist on taking her gear, but Kamiko insists she can carry her load. She is lead to Ein's office and shown the door, but she refuses to enter the empty office, preferring to wait. When the attendant realizes this is a matter of respect and protocol she nods and walks away quietly. As Ein walks up with his breakfast, even Kamiko cannot resist the embarrassment of having her stomach growl as she bows.

"I'm... sorry, Your Majesty. I left Johannesburg earlier than I anticipated. I got anxious. Flying is a personal hobby of mine and a personal joy... It would only be respectful if I let you enter your office first, your Majesty."

She rises up, then awkwardly bows again, realizing she should have waited until Ein passed by to raise. "Umm... sorry... I... Um..."

She seems to be stuck in a ether lock mentally.. searching through her protocols and apologies looking for the right one for a Monarch.

"Enough with the up-and-down, you'll make me seasick." Einherjar told the young woman in a tone that at first sounded severe, but when she looked up Kamiko couldn't miss the laughter in the faintly-glowing blue eyes. She also couldn't miss the aura the king had about him: the air of someone used to command, used to winning on battlefields both figurative and literal. To put it bluntly, meeting Einherjar for the first time was an awe-inspiring experience. He had the same look as her adopted father - a man of war, out of uniform. He was also hot, which a girl wasn't allowed to think about her own father, but Einherjar wasn't her father, a fact that treacherously crept into her head and tapped her on the shoulder as she looked up at the now-smiling face.

"You're Kamiko Hideyoshi." he stated rather than asked, then extended a hand to her. "At ease, miss. This isn't a state visit or special occasion, and I find it hard to talk to people when they're fitting as many 'your Majesty's into a sentence as they can. Stick to 'sir' or 'sire', for now. And no more than one per sentence." he told her with an engaging smile. "Come on in." He half-turned to one of the guards. "Fetch Miss Hideyoshi something to eat, would you?"

Without further delay, he opened up the door to his office and led Kamiko in, motioning for her to take a seat with a wave of his hand as he moved around behind the king-sized (and with a king his size, that was important) desk, setting his plate down and to one side as he waited for his guest to be brought food.

"Well then." he began. "I trust your father and mother are well?" Though the small talk was polite and friendly, Kamiko was sharp enough to feel the mind behind the handsome face studying her, assessing her as thoroughly as any of her past instructors might have done. "What brings you to the palace?"

"My Father... err Adoptive Father sends his regards and hopes to share the best Sake he can find over a few tales. Doryoku, or... my mother... she also sends her warmest wishes and appreciates the assistance you provided to the Japanese research team studying the wildlife of the area. She hopes the Telecommunications improvements she sent in exchange for your help were adequate.

Ein... To be honest I was sent here to assist those in Hanaryuko... or the Den of the Dragon as you may know them... in forming a sattelite group here in your country. I was made aware by my people in Tokyo of such an interest and to meet some contact or contacts here who may be meeting with you... I would need to be briefed on the particulars at least in regards to who they may be and perhaps an assement of what you think of Hanaryuko."

She straightens her flight suit a bit. "I personally am grateful for your indulgence today and apologies for the... excess of formality. As I said I was froggy all night over what I should say or do in regards to this meeting."

Ein sees the intellect shining behind her strange eyes. He saw a glimpse of the true mother and father of this young woman. "Also..." She says quirking an eyebrow, "There is this matter of some... trouble. May I be of assistance? Outside of some white water rafting on the Congo itself I really don't now what other things I can burn some time with. Heh... and if this meeting would have happened later you would be eating your breakfast in peace and I'd have time to change. But something tells me there is something up... but what."

She drums her fingers on the rest of her chair. "The storm? Was there a disaster that needs to be addressed? I am trained in first response and can provide a para-rescue service if needed..."

Her look of concern is genuine and he sees the humanity within her... this wasn't cold logic but honest civic-mindedness.

"Yes! I do," Sakura whimpered, her green eyes large. Her fear hung in the air like a bitter tang, trying to push other people into feeling that way as well. Had Morri not known the source of those smells, her own limbs would be shaking with the effort not to react in fear. For so long, the Morrigan's fear resulted in others' blood spilling. That just wasn't acceptable anymore. The hurt, frightened look in Tahir's eyes had told her that clearly.

"Thank you," Morri replied gratefully, relieved that the woman wasn't going to argue with her. Right now, Morri didn't even care if Sakura was telling the truth or just saying whatever would get Morri out of her hair. She had other business to take care of right now.

Even as she turned to leave, Esperance was in the doorway, bowing. "Yes?" Morri asked, a little put out by her appearance. "What is it, Esperance?"

"I have orders to move our guest to new quarters, Milady," the woman told her.

Morri's gut knotted itself up painfully and she tensed her arm, feeling quantum flowing through her veins. Her arm started to tingle as she prepared her blood weapons. "Where?" she asked and her voice sent Sakura's fear soaring higher.

If Esperance noticed, she didn't react. "The southeast guest quarters," the seneschal answered.

Relief crashed through her like a wave, leaving her almost light headed. What is wrong with me? The near-death of Tahir must have shaken her more than she'd realized. "Very well," Morri answered, before turning to Sakura. "Again, thank you for your time." With that, the feral walked out of the room, leaving her guest just as shaken as she was.

Einherjar wasn't in the hall; Morri tracked him to his office, her sensitive nose showing the way as clearly as if she'd followed him there visually. He wasn't alone, and she paused, considering. She sank into a crouch, resting her back against the wall and draping her arms on her knees.

Morri had known that she was broken for a long time. She'd accepted it because she hadn't wanted to be any other way. Or more accurately, being another way was going to be excessively painful. The attempt to break through her own fears was going to force her to dredge up pain so deep she cringed at the thought. But staying this way was no longer acceptable, because she wasn't in control of herself. Instead, her fear drove her; her fear had almost killed Tahir. Her fear was pushing her to kill a pregnant woman afflicted with terrible aberrations. And worst of all, Morri couldn't say what she was so deeply afraid of with Sakura. There was just a terrible abyss of terror in her heart and somehow, Sakura was the center of it.

I do not like who I am.

The thought was hurtful and yet obviously true. She needed to change but could she? Was she strong enough to do so? Worse, how could she change? Morri had no idea how to even begin to tear down those walls. She'd wanted to ask Ein but he was occupied. There was one other person she could ask; someone she didn't trust as much as Ein but still trusted. Morri pushed to her feet and trotted off, backtracking to the last place she'd seen Jason. From there, it was easy enough to track her to the gardens, to the Fountain of the Land Titans. Danica was flitting around the streams of water, while Jason watched, her beautiful face made more beautiful by the pure love for her daughter that transformed it. "Jason," Morri called softly. She still looked awful; her face pale and drawn by stress. "Do you have some time to talk?"

Sakura looked relieved when Morrigan left her to the care of Esperance. The red-eyed nova terrified and confused her; she talked about killing her for 'ruining' Ein, whatever exactly she meant by that, and then turned around and promised to keep her and her children safe. How do you do that? Dead isn't safe. It's just dead.

She followed Esperance through the palace without really seeing it; the seneschal watched the miserable young mother, wanting to wrap her up in her arms and tell her that everything would be alright just like her own mother used to do when she skinned her knee or was frightened by a storm. She'd reached out and squeezed the woman's arm with a smile of reassurance before she thought that such a touch might not be welcomed and certainly wasn't professional. It did earn a wan smile from the Blossom Princess, though, and that was enough for Esperance for now. She had ordered the extra security for their newest guest, double the nano-clouds to monitor her and what she hoped would be an unobtrusive extra rotation of guards to patrol her guest wing. Sakura knew nothing of the extra security measures, but she did understand being moved away from the royal quarters, and from the relatively deserted look of the halls, from the rest of the guests in attendance as well. King Einherjar, even the Morrigan she was sure, would keep their promises, but Sakura was being moved to the edges of the palace, to a place where she wouldn't cause so much trouble.

At the door to the new guest wing, Esperance opened the door to the suite and paused paused them in the greatroom they had stepped into; there were several hallways leading off of the room and full sized kitchen that opened out to the greatroom on one side and a dining room on the other. She tried smiling again at the beautiful young nova and said gently, "He's not upset with you, Miss Konohanasakuyahime. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but he wanted you to know that you are still welcome here and that it is his wish that you do stay. You may go anywhere you like in the palace, and of course you are welcome to explore the city as well. I would like to send guards with you if you do go out, though; the city is secure as a city can be, but not nearly as secure as the palace. These quarters are also larger than the room you had in the Royal Suite. There are rooms that can be re-purposed for anything you like, from an art studio to a media room to extra bedrooms, even to a nursery. There are also three gardens that can be reached from the suite: the one directly ahead of us with steps on either side of the balcony, one down that hallway, and one on the other side of the dining room. There is a phone in the kitchen; here is my number, please call a let me know if there is anything you would like."

Sakura nodded mutely, grateful for Esperance's kindness, but now almost numb from the overload of emotions from the morning. She managed to state a quiet, "Thank you. I think right now, I'd just like to be alone."

The older woman nodded and quietly made her exit; Sakura curled up on one of the tan microfiber couches, too tense to nap and too tired to do anything else. So this is home now. I wish Mom and Dad were here. They'd know what to do.

Shaman and Maia floated down into the city, not raising much of a stir. They were only novas, after all ... until Maia got close, that is. Sure, she could bank down her tantalizing fires a bit, but it was really like trying to bank a Blast Furnace. It was all awe and deference and the like. Maia shot Shaman an 'I'm sorry' look, but her brother only shrugged.

"We are what we are," he told her.

'It's just some of us are more 'what we are' than others.'

'It could we worse.'

'How?'

'We could be her.'

'How's that so bad?

'Dude, if we were her, we'd never leave the bedroom!'

(Gibbs' slap!)

'Heeheheeh ... it was worth it.'

They began moving through the stalls and having to deal with vendors pressing goods on them (her). Shaman found two nice pairs of sandals, one pair of boots, three pairs of jeans, and four shirts (one of them really nice, for formal occasions ... and meeting certain someones).

"Thanks Maia, this is really nice of you," Shaman said as they were ringing up the last few purchases.

'Do you know what?'

(warily) 'What?'

'I've been thinking.'

(Groan)

'Come on now! This is important.'

'Okay.'

'Now Morri is our Sister, right? But she's also not blood related, right? Does this mean we can invite her over for a sleep over?!?!?!?'

(much pummeling)

"The storm is taken care of." Ein said with a smile as a plate of food was brought for Kamiko. "There's certainly no emergency that requires an emissary to get involved. Please, eat. In the office, we're on informal terms. While we breakfast, I'd like you to tell me of the Den of the Dragon. What is it exactly they do, and how may I assist?"

Kamiko opened her mouth, puzzled that he didn't already know of Hanaryuko, then closed it again as she realised that the pale glowing blue eyes were studying her carefully. Behind the bluff neo-Norse facade and "just plain ol' Ein eating his bacon and eggs", there was a fierce intelligence weighing her words and actions. Of course he'd heard of Hanaryuko. This was what, in diplomatic circles, was considered feeling out the one you were dealing with. The Storm King of the Congo was measuring Hanaryuko by the young woman they'd chosen to represent them: her. It was a daunting prospect, being under that gaze. She realised why the Congo was renowned for having the most honest politicians and public servants in the world - you couldn't face those eyes with a guilty conscience. There was something about Einherjar being in a room that kept people both respectful and honest.

Darrik ended up noticing the bustle in the southeast guest wing and quickly learned from the workers- all of whom barely held onto their decency in the face of the distraction Darrik presented- that Sakura would be moved over there. So perhaps Ein had come to some sort of sense and moved the Blossom Princess far away from him. Very good. He could have more than a few private chats with her then. But at the moment, he was intent on sharing thoughts with her- being the other nova he knew of who could get men and women enamored so easily.

After he confirmed Sakura was in her new room, he let a reasonable amount of time pass before knocking on the guest room door.

"Actually... you leave me wanting, Ein... I've only really been started off with them. They seem like good people, worthy of respect and trust... I just don't know them that well even though my adoptive parents have taken great pains to help. They can't be that bad if they support them."

She smiles. "Well, if Hanaryuko is to blossom here it needs fertile soil. Seems you've cultivated quite a pasture. Hanaryuko's chief interest is acclimating second generation novas that have been hidden and or orphaned to open society. Many of us, I included, have had to hide from the Motherhunters of what ever organization that spawns them. Having a organization that helps us help ourselves through training and a common defense is practically a necessity for us. We're more valuable than true Eufiber. I din't see myself as a commodity."

She grabs an apple, quietly sampling it. "Now, outside of that, my personal interest here... and I should be up front on this, is to see the Congo itself. I read the papers on what the research team found for pharmaceutical plants, new species of insects, the whole kit and kaboodle as it were. To be honest school holds no interest nor knowedge I do not know. Perhaps if you would suffer my presence here as I tend to my work and my enrichment, I would be more than happy to return your indulgence if my services are ever required."

She's not being diplomatic. She's speaking from the heart. He can see the truth in her and she's got nothing to hide from him. Kamiko takes another bite from her apple. "I never really liked apples until today."

For someone who looks like they just stepped off the set of the Top Gun sequel, she looks... sort of cute...

Archived